Author Topic: A Game Journal Reborn  (Read 1964302 times)

Blace

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
Re: A Game Journal Reborn
« Reply #210 on: March 12, 2014, 12:15:29 PM »
I only played DMC1 and DMC:DMC to completion and I enjoyed both equally.
Tried DMC2 and that was a complete piece of shit, no offense intended to those who enjoy it. Admittedly I havent played the supposedly best entires in the series - DMC3 and DMC4 but I didnt find anything offensive about the reboot's gameplay, it's certainly more accessible and easy but it's still tons of fun, I am not really an action game junky who replays these games like 20x times in all difficulties so maybe I just dont get it, I am satisfied with a Normal mode playthrough and moving on to the next title.
The new dante is boring if anything, their original vision with tortured dante in the initial reveal for the reboot seemed to be a much more interesting take on the character than what we got in the final product.

I dont think we can blame the fans for not wanting reboot though, it's their right to speak with their wallets and as consumers and not support a product they dont like the direction of. However I do feel like 50% of them wrote the game off immediately without giving it a fair chance and many of the hate comes from people who didnt even touch the game, if you are going to judge something atleast be acquainted and familiar with it to give a well constructed and backed up opinion, be it negative or positive. Just my take on it. The same seems to apply to all the XIII games. A huge number of the bandwagon comment on the story with factually wrong statements(statements that contradict actual plot points devoid of any kind of subjective interpretation) since they havent played the games but still have the audicity to claim that it is undoubtedly shit. Oh well, I dont expect much from the internet though, it's a nexus for the uninformed masses to spout their putrid hatred.(There is a difference from being negative and informed  or negative and massively ignorant about the topic at hand, that's my point)

Yeah, what I was saying is people judge DmC without even playing it. They just go "ew they changed things it must be terrible" because it was the hipster thing to do or something. I'm like you, I play through normal and am done usually. I don't sit there and replay every difficulty. I'd put DmC right on par with DMC3 and it's actually better than DMC4, which got repetitive because it made you do the same thing as Bravely Default and go through the same missions again as a new character. I actually enjoyed the new take on the franchise, it was getting stale anyway. They were just recycling ideas once they got to DMC4.

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: March 12, 2014, 12:47:01 PM »
So I think my copy of Atelier Escha & Logy bugged out. I got a recipe book that should tell me how to make a bunch of things, including the Moon Tablet I need to make the airship engine. Unfortuantely Escha never "read" it and I can't make anything from the book even though I have it in my inventory.

EDIT: NEVER MIND. IM DUMB. I DIDNT BUY IT.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 12:58:31 PM by Starmongoose »

Penguin Boss Demands You Join Our Discord!

CLICK HERE TO BE TAKEN TO THE RPGFAN DISCORD

Yggdrasil

• Loathed by Six Heretics
  • Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: March 12, 2014, 01:00:28 PM »
DmC is a great game and I can't stand when people say it is a joke to the franchise. That game was made by Capcom themselves and it is called Devil May Cry 2. I have loved the series since the beginning and still very much enjoy this more Western take. Unfortunately, people who didn't like change are going to destroy any hopes that the people who actually enjoyed this game had for a sequel because it sold terribly.

...I'll try to make this short;

The closest the original DMC got for a sequel was Chaos Legion. DMC2 was a desperate attempt from Capcom trying to make money quick, and is a shame that game ended up being the way it is because there is actually some enjoyment you can get out of DMC2 and there was potential for a great action game there. But it didn't happen.

Is kinda tragic too how you can tell while playing DMC2 that the team didn't had a clear idea of how they were gonna put together the game they were making at one point.

Also, I remember seeing in a gaming magazine back in the day that Capcom had to make a public apology for the game. Is a fuzzy memory that I have. And while I tried to find the news online just to see if it really happened, I wasn't able to find anything.

DmC: Devil May Cry on the other hand was more of a violent affair more or less. Though this comes more with how Capcom took a violent attitude in pushing the game forward while pushing aside their own audience, all that with a lot of noise and misunderstandings going around online, even after the game was released.

All of that is done now. Ninja Theory did the job they had to make and Capcom got news out last year I believe that they supposedly stopped outsourcing.

*shrug* Good for them I guess if that's true. Nowadays I only care about how the inevitable RE7 is gonna turn out, and Deep Down which looks nice so far. It sucks how they never put Dragon's Dogma on Steam though.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 01:10:17 PM by Yggdrasil »

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #213 on: March 12, 2014, 01:58:12 PM »
I actually like that idea where since DMC4 was stale, DMC by Ninja Theory was a sort of "alternate take".  I don't recommend it (it was certainly a giant miss for Metroid: Other M and Tales of Legendia), but at least this was a moderate success so...I guess your milage may vary.

I was disappointed with the drastic character change as well, but... I dunno, it's easy to "shut off" and just take it for what it is.
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Blace

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: March 12, 2014, 02:34:49 PM »
DmC is a great game and I can't stand when people say it is a joke to the franchise. That game was made by Capcom themselves and it is called Devil May Cry 2. I have loved the series since the beginning and still very much enjoy this more Western take. Unfortunately, people who didn't like change are going to destroy any hopes that the people who actually enjoyed this game had for a sequel because it sold terribly.

...I'll try to make this short;

The closest the original DMC got for a sequel was Chaos Legion. DMC2 was a desperate attempt from Capcom trying to make money quick, and is a shame that game ended up being the way it is because there is actually some enjoyment you can get out of DMC2 and there was potential for a great action game there. But it didn't happen.

Is kinda tragic too how you can tell while playing DMC2 that the team didn't had a clear idea of how they were gonna put together the game they were making at one point.

Also, I remember seeing in a gaming magazine back in the day that Capcom had to make a public apology for the game. Is a fuzzy memory that I have. And while I tried to find the news online just to see if it really happened, I wasn't able to find anything.

DmC: Devil May Cry on the other hand was more of a violent affair more or less. Though this comes more with how Capcom took a violent attitude in pushing the game forward while pushing aside their own audience, all that with a lot of noise and misunderstandings going around online, even after the game was released.

All of that is done now. Ninja Theory did the job they had to make and Capcom got news out last year I believe that they supposedly stopped outsourcing.

*shrug* Good for them I guess if that's true. Nowadays I only care about how the inevitable RE7 is gonna turn out, and Deep Down which looks nice so far. It sucks how they never put Dragon's Dogma on Steam though.

I never did play Chaos Legion... was that even good? My biggest peeve with DMC2 was that they slowed it down SO much. It was almost like in slow motion compared to the first game.

Yggdrasil

• Loathed by Six Heretics
  • Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: March 12, 2014, 03:24:17 PM »
I never did play Chaos Legion... was that even good?

Hard to say. Chaos Legion is either an underrated gem or mediocre, and all that depends in how you as a player approach or appreciate action games.

Blace

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: March 12, 2014, 03:33:18 PM »
I never did play Chaos Legion... was that even good?

Hard to say. Chaos Legion is either an underrated gem or mediocre, and all that depends in how you as a player approach or appreciate action games.

Checked out the reviews... seems like your statement is pretty accurate based on what I am seeing.

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #217 on: March 12, 2014, 05:27:05 PM »
So, I went to slay that dragon and the dragon made me feel about it :(

Oh well. Atleast it dropped some excellent equipment. Once I figure out how to get enough PP to put all the awesome stuff on one piece of equipment, I'll be set for the rest of the game. Which isn't much btw. I've still got 280 days left to go, but doesn't seem to be much left to do aside from activating character events and doing the three assignments I haven't completed yet.

BTW the poor dragon had a fakey Germanic name: Altegevalt. Alte obviously has to mean something like 'old'. Gevalt is not even close to a German word, but 'geval' does mean something in Dutch. 'Oud geval' could be translated as 'old occurance' or 'old case', but is commonly used to refer to an old object of little value. So, if I'm totally overthinking this, I just took out the trash. Poor trash... Didn't even have a good name. Was it so hard to name him something like Altegewalt?

Edit: nevermind. Read the tiny letters wrong. His name is in fact Altegewalt :D
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 05:33:18 PM by Tomara »

Klyde Chroma

• LVL. 99 - Midnight Crusader
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: March 12, 2014, 05:40:42 PM »
starting up Persona 2: Innocent Sin and WOW, it doesn't waste time.  I was expecting a more drawn-out beginning.  Now to get to the grind....

I played that this time last year. Best SMT ride I ever had. Freakin' loved that one boy...

@Yggdrasil/ Thanks for informing me about Godhand! I never really look into much besides RPG's, so I am uneducated and always open to suggestion.

ON THE DMC NOTE/ I think it is the dramatic character alteration of Dante that I appreciate. I hated the original Dante, which is why I could never get into the original Devil May Cry games no matter how decent they were.

Another irony here is how I typically don't prefer/appreciate western titles. I didn't even know this DMC reboot was a western made game until reading it in this thread.

TALES OF XILIA/ Happy to hear someone else was just as baffled with the mid-game plot as I was. As easy as it was to follow, it sure seemed "trip me up" quite a bit. I still can't say I'm fully at peace with my understanding (or lack there-of) of it.

FF TaY: I FINALLY had to heal and use something other then attack in Kain's chapter. WOO-HOO!!! Its getting good folks.

I am more a battlefield than a Ninja.

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: March 12, 2014, 07:16:06 PM »
I have no idea what my preconceived notions of Soul Hackers were anymore, but they certainly didn't involve going to a movie theater on SecondLife with a coyote.
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: March 12, 2014, 07:21:42 PM »
Haven't been playing much lately. Guess that's what happens when there's less than a week until a game is released you've been waiting two and a half years to play. So I've just been dabbling in some FFXII, Bravely Default, FFIV: The After Years, and some Kingdom Rush on Steam. Obviously haven't made a lot of progress on any of those, though I did finish Ceodore's chapter in TAY this morning.

Klyde Chroma

• LVL. 99 - Midnight Crusader
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: March 12, 2014, 07:51:24 PM »
Haven't been playing much lately. Guess that's what happens when there's less than a week until a game is released you've been waiting two and a half years to play. So I've just been dabbling in some FFXII, Bravely Default, FFIV: The After Years, and some Kingdom Rush on Steam. Obviously haven't made a lot of progress on any of those, though I did finish Ceodore's chapter in TAY this morning.

Your in for it now buddy... Prepare yourself a trying leg of the FF TaY journey (provided you do the chapters in the order they are presented.)

To summarize... Insane Difficulty spike followed by awsome plot followed by awesome plot followed by the same awesome plot with boring gameplay followed by.... wait isn't this the same story development I just saw..followed by "Dammit!! This IS the same plot development I just witness and THIS IS THE UMPTEENTH TIME I HAVE BEEN IN THIS DUNGEON!!!! I JUST OPENED THIS TREASURE CHEST 1 HOUR AND FIVE MINUTES AGO!!!!!! ARRRRRGHHHHH!!!!!"

But there is light at the end of the tunnel my friend, Kain's chapter has new offerings (finally). There is some interesting character development amidst the other chapters on the way to Kain but it will prove a test of your patience my friend... I advise you blitz through them before your new game drops so you never have to look at em again-LoL

I am more a battlefield than a Ninja.

solidbatman

• Zetsubou Sensei
  • The real me exists on the internet!
    • View Profile
    • Fuwanovel
« Reply #222 on: March 13, 2014, 12:23:39 PM »
Decided to take a break with Bravely Default to finish Atelier Totori Plus. I think I'm doing good with my time, but I really have no clue. I do know I'm insanely under leveled with equipment and such for battles.

Bytor

• Ego Enhancement Consultant
  • Hiding in Inaba
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: March 13, 2014, 04:15:42 PM »
Lost Odyssey has it faults certainly, however it really has some interesting and unique, albeit not necessarily difficult, boss battles!
Everything's Eventual

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #224 on: March 13, 2014, 04:23:07 PM »
Lost Odyssey has it faults certainly, however it really has some interesting and unique, albeit not necessarily difficult, boss battles!

That game was all about it's boss fights and surprisingly brilliant "novel" sequences.

Professor Layton's final game is seriously the best pique for the series in terms of what -- or rather -- how much it offers.  Loving the hell out of it.
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!