Author Topic: A Game Journal Reborn  (Read 1900549 times)

CluelessWonder

• View Profile
Re: A Game Journal Reborn
« Reply #255 on: March 16, 2014, 12:46:19 PM »
I need to replay Atelier Totori.  I screwed myself over and didn't have a save game where I could rectify things and got a bad ending.  I always play blind and am ok with a good ending, don't need true/best endings.  I think my failure with that game has kept me from playing subsequent games which is a shame since I do love the series.  With the announcement of the new game I need to get over this hurdle and do a new game plus this week.

Playing Fate/Extra with Saber.  I am not getting the rock/paper/scissors battle system.  I'm bad at guessing.
Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief

solidbatman

• Zetsubou Sensei
  • The real me exists on the internet!
    • View Profile
    • Fuwanovel
« Reply #256 on: March 16, 2014, 09:28:03 PM »
That just got me thinking, could I do a New Game Plus off the bad ending in Totori Plus, if that indeed happens? I'm pretty under leveled because i focused too much on item creation so I'm not sure about my chances for the end game.

Arklight

• Know the meaning of Odio.
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: March 16, 2014, 09:34:49 PM »
I'm still in the midst of attempting to thin out my enormous PS2 backlog, and currently juggling Chrono Cross and Wild Arms 3. I SHOULD be playing Bravely Default, but I just...haven't quite had the urge.
"Art is how we decorate space; Music is how we decorate time"

Wild Armor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: March 16, 2014, 11:16:10 PM »
Played some Battle Hunter today...good times!

Put my stat points into attack and defense and a little in health. Nothing into movement! I'll take that dragon any day!

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: March 16, 2014, 11:18:46 PM »
Finished another dungeon in Bravely Default today, and made significant progress in Tales of Xillia. Went from Wyvern stop in Shariton to Fezebel Marsh, with a bunch of side quests in between there.

Lard

• View Profile
« Reply #260 on: March 17, 2014, 12:42:28 AM »
Got my ass kicked by the giant boss at the end of Land 4 in EO4. Time for some grinding I guess.
I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.

Elegance

• View Profile
« Reply #261 on: March 17, 2014, 12:58:19 AM »
Just got to chapter 4 in Bravely Default.  The going back and forth at the end of 3 was getting a little monotonous (yes I know the worst has yet to come).  Also, the sidequests should really be part of the main quest; they are far too important to both story and gameplay.

solidbatman

• Zetsubou Sensei
    • View Profile
    • Fuwanovel
« Reply #262 on: March 17, 2014, 01:03:58 AM »
I think I'm going to end up breaking my Vita in half with the final boss of Totori. Pisses me off that a game where you can just use item creation to get to the end has a final boss that requires you to be at a decent Adventurer Level. Luckily, I left myself about 6 months to grind, but it really rubs me the wrong way to design and end game like that. It feels so tacked on and cheap.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: March 17, 2014, 01:07:20 AM »
Just got to chapter 4 in Bravely Default.  The going back and forth at the end of 3 was getting a little monotonous (yes I know the worst has yet to come).  Also, the sidequests should really be part of the main quest; they are far too important to both story and gameplay.

You'll see why they're side quests in chapters 5-8.

Anyways, advancing chapter 6 now in BD:FF and into chapter 5 of T3B (almost done with my hard modo run).
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #264 on: March 17, 2014, 07:11:17 AM »
To me the axe ending was more shocking than anything. It was the 2nd ending I got and I was like, OMG THIS IS AWESOME.(1st was sub and ofc I was super into it already, I fell in love with the game almost immediately after the first puzzle).
Im glad to see that you decided to see all the endings, even though you don't really need to see the bad ones to get the main story, you lose a lot of interesting tidbits and details about the characters.
Safe and True is where it's at, that's when you truly get valuable information. The true ending is basically half the story on it's own. The sub ending won't impress you all that much btw.
Eh I was sort of meh on the puzzles (partially because I regularly was stuck because I was supposed to click on something that I didn't think was clickable). I finished getting all the endings yesterday (actually already had gotten sub by the time of my last post). I'm glad I checked them all out (even though Coffin really is a waste of time).

Code: [Select]
Game was enjoyable, I saw several plot details before the the cast, such as June being Zero. The whole morphogenic fields things is weird, but whatever I can accept that as a fact of this world what with how hard they were hinting at it through all the conversations. I was sort of meh on the ending since I wanted to see the reunion between Junpei and June, but I suppose I can live without that.

Side note, what was up with June's "illness"? I wasn't paying enough attention to it to remember for sure, but was it flaring up everytime you made a wrong choice regarding where to go? In essence was her "illness" the universe trying to eliminate the paradox of her existence?

Holykael1

• What is a man?
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: March 17, 2014, 08:06:09 AM »
To me the axe ending was more shocking than anything. It was the 2nd ending I got and I was like, OMG THIS IS AWESOME.(1st was sub and ofc I was super into it already, I fell in love with the game almost immediately after the first puzzle).
Im glad to see that you decided to see all the endings, even though you don't really need to see the bad ones to get the main story, you lose a lot of interesting tidbits and details about the characters.
Safe and True is where it's at, that's when you truly get valuable information. The true ending is basically half the story on it's own. The sub ending won't impress you all that much btw.
Eh I was sort of meh on the puzzles (partially because I regularly was stuck because I was supposed to click on something that I didn't think was clickable). I finished getting all the endings yesterday (actually already had gotten sub by the time of my last post). I'm glad I checked them all out (even though Coffin really is a waste of time).

Game was enjoyable, I saw several plot details before the the cast, such as June being Zero. The whole morphogenic fields things is weird, but whatever I can accept that as a fact of this world what with how hard they were hinting at it through all the conversations. I was sort of meh on the ending since I wanted to see the reunion between Junpei and June, but I suppose I can live without that.

Side note, what was up with June's "illness"? I wasn't paying enough attention to it to remember for sure, but was it flaring up everytime you made a wrong choice regarding where to go? In essence was her "illness" the universe trying to eliminate the paradox of her existence?

Yes,
It was also symbolic since fever is high temperatures and her death would be on the incinerator

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #266 on: March 17, 2014, 08:28:20 AM »
I think I'm going to end up breaking my Vita in half with the final boss of Totori. Pisses me off that a game where you can just use item creation to get to the end has a final boss that requires you to be at a decent Adventurer Level. Luckily, I left myself about 6 months to grind, but it really rubs me the wrong way to design and end game like that. It feels so tacked on and cheap.

I always feel with the Atelier titles I've been either grossly under-prepared or at the level of complete overkill.  Me boss battles are either a) the hardest thing where I lose or win by some small margin or b) death, gore, and devastation to dickwad enemy.

On that note, I beat Ayesha with like....two days left of the three years allotted. yay!  Good luck SB!
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

solidbatman

• Zetsubou Sensei
    • View Profile
    • Fuwanovel
« Reply #267 on: March 17, 2014, 11:00:10 AM »

I always feel with the Atelier titles I've been either grossly under-prepared or at the level of complete overkill.  Me boss battles are either a) the hardest thing where I lose or win by some small margin or b) death, gore, and devastation to dickwad enemy.

On that note, I beat Ayesha with like....two days left of the three years allotted. yay!  Good luck SB!

I ended up destroying the final boss. Ended up with the normal ending. Guess I'll watch the other ends on Youtube, and use a true end walkthrough for Meruru.

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #268 on: March 17, 2014, 11:47:10 AM »
Not interested in another go? x)

Professor Layton - The Azran legacy

Hmm.
One one hand I *loved* the ending revelations.  One the other, it was a bit quick, and just a bit messy.
The time lapse of Layton's childhood is somewhat scattered, but I did love Descole's reveal as his brother and what he did for him.  Another line of dialogue should have been added for Layton's adopted parents...they sounded like assholes not taking both brothers (like "oh dear, we only have money for one").  Tiny Theodore was darling and Layton's real mom and pop look and act wonderfully appropriate as the "roots" of where Layton comes from.

The end reveal of Aurora as a golem felt extremely last minute and somewhat unnecessary...but I guess it's easier to kill off a machine-thing than a real human.  Luke got suddenly attached to her too.  And we get a bit of a standard Atlantis-Story; which I think they could have played it up a bit more...but it all worked out in the end.

Anyways, the puzzles were fun, the graphics were divine, and I've always loved 'end-game Layton' for being able to provide some necessary suspense, mystery, and a LOT of bittersweet feelings.  Oh, and of course, the soundtrack is absolutely wonderful.  Most of the compositions were really memorable, pleasant, or had a wonderful sense of melancholy to them.

Maybe the fact I played accordion for one awful year has still managed to make me appreciate a lot of the accordion in the Layton series.  ...womp-womp.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 11:49:20 AM by Dice »
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Monsoon

• Electric Mayhem
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • Can't Stop the Monsoon
« Reply #269 on: March 17, 2014, 12:09:07 PM »
The new-ish (2011) Mortal Kombat game is definitely better than I thought it was.  Story incorporates the first three games, uses around half the cast; combat is extremely competent, with evident depth that I'm not capable of exploiting yet; the character designs are hit/miss but the variety between fighters is pretty strong overall. 

Still, I've never been a Mortal Kombat guy (except for sleepover birthday parties 20 years ago, etc.), and I feel about it now the same way I did decades ago: this is a game for 8-year-old boys.  The hyper-violence, sexualized female characters, and preponderance of ninjas are all extremely appealing to little boys that would find such things THE BEST THING EVER.  I'm enjoying the character designs and violent action somewhat, but much less so at 28 than I would at 8.  I'm continuing to play it to see how the story ends (story's been way above expectations) and because the combat is actually pretty solid - I'm going to mess around in Arcade a little bit after I'm done with the story to try out the non-hero characters and mess around with arcade tags.