Author Topic: A Game Journal Reborn  (Read 1900501 times)

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
Re: A Game Journal Reborn
« Reply #285 on: March 17, 2014, 07:45:06 PM »
I'm just referring to the biggest trap which lies within the concept of hitting yourself over the head with your own weapons/spells since that's the quickest way to raise your HP totals and screwing yourself in the late-to-endgame (and is really boring to boot).

Aguhaguhagh yeah. Don't attack your own guys. Also I feel like you get hit with stat-downs less if you have everyone use attacks and magic fairly evenly?

I actually liked what I played of FF2. The thing that really annoyed me with it was how a lot of spells, like Esuna, didn't start getting REALLY useful effects until the higher levels and it seemed like you'd need to go out of your way to grind them to that point -- or just fruitlessly heal people of poison that weren't poisoned idk whatever.
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: March 17, 2014, 08:05:37 PM »
Speaking of fights you're meant to lose... I wasted SO MANY ITEMS in the fight against Gaius in Tales of Xillia. and then when I've got him to about half his hp he finally finishes my party off and the game continues. UGH! Why do JRPG's insist on doing that when they still seem so fond of cutscenes?

EmeraldSword

• View Profile
« Reply #287 on: March 17, 2014, 08:16:42 PM »
Just got to the final chapter of FFXIII-2. Hooray! 45 hours in and I'm trying to decide if I want to invest more time to open a few of the remaining gates that I haven't got around to, obtaining more fragments, random games at Serendipity or just beat the game so I can go onto Lightning Returns. I've warmed up to the game quite a bit after taking a pause mid-way through. So much for a speed run, haha.

I'm at the end of chapter five in Bravely Default. 75 hours in. My town is rebuilt. I got the growth egg, so I can power level with exp and jp. Yay! I liked the game's first few chapters, but lately I've been losing momentum to continue... Summoning a few of you fellow RPGfans on here for special attacks on here has saved my tail a few times more than I like to admit, haha.

For random "palette cleanse" fun, I've been playing Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze on Wii U. I grew up playing the heck out of Donkey Kong Country back in the day when the game was popular on SNES, so I had to get this new one for the nostalgic fun. Funny thing I'm realizing now that I'm older, is that my patience wears thin for side-scrolling adventures even though I loved them to death when I was a teen. Must be those rusty reflexes, heh.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 08:19:05 PM by OrsonFury »

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: March 17, 2014, 09:09:05 PM »
I'm just referring to the biggest trap which lies within the concept of hitting yourself over the head with your own weapons/spells since that's the quickest way to raise your HP totals and screwing yourself in the late-to-endgame (and is really boring to boot).

Aguhaguhagh yeah. Don't attack your own guys. Also I feel like you get hit with stat-downs less if you have everyone use attacks and magic fairly evenly?

I actually liked what I played of FF2. The thing that really annoyed me with it was how a lot of spells, like Esuna, didn't start getting REALLY useful effects until the higher levels and it seemed like you'd need to go out of your way to grind them to that point -- or just fruitlessly heal people of poison that weren't poisoned idk whatever.

Cure was also surprisingly bad given that even at max level, you really couldn't hope to heal more than 2000 HP with even a single target cast.

Of course, Ultima had to have taken the cake in terms of poorly thought out FFII spells. It's power isn't just based on its own spell level and that of the caster's Int score, but also based upon the level of EVERY SPELL that character knows. Even if you slap a few levels onto it, it's still useless.

Then again, special mention should go to the NES versions of status effect spells like Toad and Stop. Almost nothing had specific immunities to those spells so you could easily end fights before they even began. The best part though was being able to abuse how spells like Shell (or Barrier) worked by using them to overwrite a boss's natural M.Def stat with the level of the spell, no matter how weak the spell is, then just use a status effect spell that's high enough in level to bypass the new M.Def level and bammo, even the mighty Emperor himself is hopping away like the yellow bellied toad that he is.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

solidbatman

• Zetsubou Sensei
  • The real me exists on the internet!
    • View Profile
    • Fuwanovel
« Reply #289 on: March 17, 2014, 11:38:07 PM »
So I'm in a bind as to what to play next. On the one hand, Fire Emblem for 3DS is really enticing. On the other, Danganronpa. On the third hand (radioactivity is a hell of a drug), I could finish Bravely Default which I'm very lukewarm towards at the moment.

Judging by how I usually end up picking out games to play, I'll end up playing none of these and likely play Killer is Dead.

Elegance

• View Profile
« Reply #290 on: March 17, 2014, 11:52:59 PM »
So I'm in a bind as to what to play next. On the one hand, Fire Emblem for 3DS is really enticing. On the other, Danganronpa. On the third hand (radioactivity is a hell of a drug), I could finish Bravely Default which I'm very lukewarm towards at the moment.

Judging by how I usually end up picking out games to play, I'll end up playing none of these and likely play Killer is Dead.
KiD goes by pretty quick, so I recommend that.  Or finishing Bravely Default if you don't have much left.

ultra7k

• View Profile
« Reply #291 on: March 17, 2014, 11:55:40 PM »
Considering how this is the first real shot I've given the game (past play throughs never got past learning Wild Rose) I have to say, a lot of this is very impressive considering when the game was made.

Overall it's quite decent so far. Off to find some mythril for me. Accidentally wandered around in the Arcane Labyrinth for a while, clinging to life while grinding away at the random Sergeant that appears. All that grinding turned my Minwu into a tank....My one grip would be no matter how much I cast with Maria, her MP will not go up!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 12:04:13 AM by ultra7k »

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #292 on: March 18, 2014, 07:20:18 AM »
Playing Diablo 3 while waiting for Infamous Second Son this Friday.

I say finish up Bravely Default so you can see the lame ending and never have to worry about it again.

solidbatman

• Zetsubou Sensei
  • The real me exists on the internet!
    • View Profile
    • Fuwanovel
« Reply #293 on: March 18, 2014, 09:53:45 AM »
Playing Diablo 3 while waiting for Infamous Second Son this Friday.

I say finish up Bravely Default so you can see the lame ending and never have to worry about it again.

I'm only on Chapter 3 and I'm already getting bored of it :p

I ended up going with Danganronpa which provided plenty of frustration by having absolutely terrible tutorials for the trial. Luckily you cant really lose that first trial so I figured everything out by pressing random buttons and hoping for the best. The rest of the game should be better since I know how to dot he trials now.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: March 18, 2014, 11:55:08 AM »
My first attempt to defeat the fire temple boss in Bravely Default went horribly wrong. The thing used Heart Steal to gain some BP, then somehow one-shotted three of my party members in a row with Blood Suck (they were all at full health, too). Was obviously very discouraged, but this morning I tried again with the exact same party setup and killed it without a hitch. Strange.

Also, I couldn't help but hum this the entire battle.

CluelessWonder

• View Profile
« Reply #295 on: March 18, 2014, 01:47:53 PM »
Been playing IOS games trying to free up some space.  Of course I bought Device 6 and Dectective Grimoire after finishing Little Inferno, The Room and Scar of Doll.  I need to stop buying games but the under $5 price point makes it hard to.
Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief

Elegance

• View Profile
« Reply #296 on: March 18, 2014, 05:23:40 PM »
In the middle of chapter 4 in Bravely Default, currently grinding to prepare for chapter 5.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: March 18, 2014, 09:51:26 PM »
Don't forget to check around for <Genome> abilities before you go, as the enemy encounter tables will permanently change once you hit chapter 5, and some abilities are missable (same with encounters, unless you don't care about filling out the Beastiary).

And speaking of, I'm almost done with Chapter 6 and the locked chests and am now able to go and obtain the game's final job.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Elegance

• View Profile
« Reply #298 on: March 18, 2014, 10:15:36 PM »
Don't forget to check around for <Genome> abilities before you go, as the enemy encounter tables will permanently change once you hit chapter 5, and some abilities are missable (same with encounters, unless you don't care about filling out the Beastiary).

And speaking of, I'm almost done with Chapter 6 and the locked chests and am now able to go and obtain the game's final job.
I'm not a completionist when it comes to these kinds of games, but if something makes the remainder of the game significantly easier then I'm all ears.

Monsoon

• Electric Mayhem
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • Can't Stop the Monsoon
« Reply #299 on: March 18, 2014, 10:57:02 PM »
Playing Persona 3: FES again.  Third playthrough in three years.  Hard Mode, trying for 100% of S.Links and all of the Monad equipment.  I might have a problem.