Author Topic: A Game Journal Reborn  (Read 1900602 times)

Bytor

• Ego Enhancement Consultant
  • Hiding in Inaba
    • View Profile
Re: A Game Journal Reborn
« Reply #300 on: March 18, 2014, 11:01:07 PM »
Started Toukiden tonight, but leaning towards Soul Sacrifice instead...hmmm...decisions, decisions...
Everything's Eventual

Elegance

• View Profile
« Reply #301 on: March 18, 2014, 11:15:39 PM »
Playing Persona 3: FES again.  Third playthrough in three years.  Hard Mode, trying for 100% of S.Links and all of the Monad equipment.  I might have a problem. 
Have fun, see you next year.

Jimmy

• Wakens the Ferine Strain
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: March 19, 2014, 12:27:42 AM »
I have some games that I've had sitting around collecting dust since before or shortly after I started grad school. I decided it was time to start playing them, so I started with Golden Sun: Dark Dawn yesterday. I've just been playing it on the train on my way to and from work, so I'm only about two hours into it so far. Surprisingly, even though I haven't played the GBA games in years, I was able to pick it right up and re-familiarize myself with the series mechanics without any difficulty whatsoever. And of course, the summon animations are just as sick as the GBA games (at least so far).

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #303 on: March 19, 2014, 07:01:44 AM »
In the middle of chapter 4 in Bravely Default, currently grinding to prepare for chapter 5.
.....Why are you grinding in chapter 4 to prepare for chapter 5? The moment you enter chapter 5 is the moment the most efficient grinding spot opens up. I guess you might mean to prepare to get to chapter 5, but still minimize your grinding in chapter 4 because you get a better spot in chapter 5.

Holykael1

• What is a man?
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: March 19, 2014, 07:52:54 AM »
Started Toukiden tonight, but leaning towards Soul Sacrifice instead...hmmm...decisions, decisions...

If you value story go for Soul Sacrifice. Toukiden is a boring clone with nothing original going for it.

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #305 on: March 19, 2014, 08:16:14 AM »
Hey, Toukiden's setting is kinda cool. The game isn't a bad choice if you're looking for a bare bones, easy to get into Monster Hunter. Just don't play too much of it at once. It re-uses monsters and even whole missions constantly, so it gets old very fast if you play more than an hour a day or so.

Holykael1

• What is a man?
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: March 19, 2014, 08:22:46 AM »
Hey, Toukiden's setting is kinda cool. The game isn't a bad choice if you're looking for a bare bones, easy to get into Monster Hunter. Just don't play too much of it at once. It re-uses monsters and even whole missions constantly, so it gets old very fast if you play more than an hour a day or so.

Yeah but it isn't a focus. Soul Sacrifice has a really big emphasis on narrative. You spend a big part of the game reading the lore and hearing the story progress, besides if one likes dark fantasy, it's excellent.

Elegance

• View Profile
« Reply #307 on: March 19, 2014, 09:22:50 AM »
In the middle of chapter 4 in Bravely Default, currently grinding to prepare for chapter 5.
.....Why are you grinding in chapter 4 to prepare for chapter 5? The moment you enter chapter 5 is the moment the most efficient grinding spot opens up. I guess you might mean to prepare to get to chapter 5, but still minimize your grinding in chapter 4 because you get a better spot in chapter 5.
I heard it makes chapter 5 more tolerable and that the game has a difficulty spike around there, if going for the best ending anyway.  I don't know, I'm just going off what was recommended to me.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: March 19, 2014, 12:42:59 PM »
I heard it makes chapter 5 more tolerable and that the game has a difficulty spike around there, if going for the best ending anyway.  I don't know, I'm just going off what was recommended to me.

There's no difficulty spike in chapter 5. Sure the boss refights get a bit tougher, and enemy encounters change to be slightly tougher than they originally were, but you have access to Dark Knight and Templar now. You gonna' be wreckin' shit all over da place dog. Heck you can jump right into the endgame as soon as you can and do fine. As I said before, the only grinding you'll want to do for Chapter 5 is hunting down Genome abilities (you wont get them all before Chapter 5 (actually Chapter 6 is the earliest you can get them all; thanks Blaster) but some are missable and it's easier to deal with it now rather than later) and enemy encounters to fill out your Beastiary (because if you miss anything now, you wont be able to go back until New Game+ at the earliest).
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Bytor

• Hiding in Inaba
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: March 19, 2014, 04:18:03 PM »
Five freaking hours later I escaped Experimental Staff in Lost Odyssey...overlooked one path over and over and over, jesus christ!
Everything's Eventual

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #310 on: March 19, 2014, 05:23:49 PM »
Five freaking hours later I escaped Experimental Staff in Lost Odyssey...overlooked one path over and over and over, jesus christ!

you probably gained a ton of levels though
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Bytor

• Hiding in Inaba
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: March 19, 2014, 06:23:15 PM »
quite a few, lol
Everything's Eventual

Klyde Chroma

• LVL. 99 - Midnight Crusader
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: March 19, 2014, 06:29:16 PM »
Well I've done it now.... TOTALLY screwed myself in FF 4 TaY.

This is game tricked me into a false sense of security... It was sooooo mind-numbingly easy plodding along through all the chapters that I just flew through em to see the story. Never did I consider the end game would be so.... unfair...

The difficulty spike in the last chapter, after how easy the rest of the game is, coupled with the fact that you are locked out from damn near everything you may have missed = absolutely terrible design IMO.

It is way to easy to screw yourself and be completely stuck (as I am) in a seemingly endless end-game grindfest. The appeal at this point is the ability to construct a party out of the whole cast.... or at least that WOULD be the appeal if any other characters aside from a select 4 or 5 could even survive a random encounter.

What I appreciated about this game is really becoming an afterthought in light of the lazy and terrible design of this title. This game dripped with potential in my eyes, but in execution proved a major fail. While I recognize I essentially "played it wrong", the game itself sort of coaxes you into "playing it wrong". I feel mechanically, this entire game was a bad joke.

Thank goodness for awesome characters, art and music or I would chalk this one up to a waste of my time.
I am more a battlefield than a Ninja.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: March 19, 2014, 07:24:14 PM »
Made it to Djose Temple in FFX HD today. I'm trying to hurry through the story part of the game to get to the good stuff. Come to think of it, I'm surprised at the amount of overlap between people who loved FFX, and people who hated FFXIII, citing how the first half of the game is just a "tutorial." I mean, FFX does the exact same thing as FFXIII, but worse. Instead of waiting until halfway through the game to unlock everything, the game doesn't unlock some features until the last 10% of the game, and the stuff that does unlock halfway isn't really put into practice until the endgame, anyway.

For the record, I love both games. I can really get behind the idea of getting the story out of the way before unlocking the means to creating a party of Super Demi-God Death Machines, which most players will just ignore anyway.

Elegance

• View Profile
« Reply #314 on: March 19, 2014, 07:43:38 PM »
Personally, I love it when a game is still introducing things at 10+ hours.  I'd rather master the current mechanics and slowly add more to keep things interesting, instead of having it all right off the bat and making it feel repetitive.  I guess a downside to it is that there are people that miss out if they don't get that far.