Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2014, 10:14:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331786 Posts in 13584 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  A Game Journal Reborn
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 129 Print
Author Topic: A Game Journal Reborn  (Read 53162 times)
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #315 on: March 19, 2014, 08:32:04 PM »

Made it to Djose Temple in FFX HD today. I'm trying to hurry through the story part of the game to get to the good stuff. Come to think of it, I'm surprised at the amount of overlap between people who loved FFX, and people who hated FFXIII, citing how the first half of the game is just a "tutorial." I mean, FFX does the exact same thing as FFXIII, but worse. Instead of waiting until halfway through the game to unlock everything, the game doesn't unlock some features until the last 10% of the game, and the stuff that does unlock halfway isn't really put into practice until the endgame, anyway.

For the record, I love both games. I can really get behind the idea of getting the story out of the way before unlocking the means to creating a party of Super Demi-God Death Machines, which most players will just ignore anyway.

To be fair, I never really like FFX either. Sure its an okay game, but compared to its predecessors it felt a little barren or threadbare. I mean, I'm currently in Luca and I have yet to spend a Sphere Level or even need to spend a Sphere Level (mostly because the early nodes suck anyways). Beyond that, are the start of a bunch of long running sidequests that wont pay out until much later in the game, the Luca Tournament subplot in its entirety, and the start of the Crusader's subplot.

And speaking of past FF games, Bravely Default. Currently in Chapter 7 and I've already cleared all four crystals and Vampire Castle. Next up will be 'Love in the Crossfire'. Hopefully, I'll have another Vampire/Dark Knight up and running soon because Rage/Blood Thirst/Rage is absolutely hilarious (the damage output is so obscene it was one-shotting Chapter 6 bosses with but a little prep work and without the need for Bravely Second). After that, I should try getting a party of maxed out Freelancers together with said Vamp/DK for outRageous damage potential. Also, for all those people out there grinding before Chapter 7 should hold off until getting the final job. Obliterate is the ultimate grinder's tool.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #316 on: March 19, 2014, 08:48:09 PM »

I just got to the first Cloister of Trials in FFX.

Priest: The rules must be obeyed!!
Tidus: Like I give a fuck!! *runs on in*

Damn I wish more games has cursing.

And Aeolus, I always found one fatal flaw in a lot of RPGs is that a lot of them are like wine and only get better with the more hours you invest.  A lot of RPGs struggle in the beginning be it because of slow pacing or limited battle options.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #317 on: March 19, 2014, 08:54:06 PM »

I like all of FFX. ;=; ALL OF IT.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA < Even that part.

One more day until it is mine.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #318 on: March 19, 2014, 09:04:59 PM »

^^^^^^^^ this...agreed, one of the best games evah, lol

Everything's Eventual
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #319 on: March 19, 2014, 09:06:19 PM »

Besides flat cutscenes (that otherwise happened with a lot of PS2 games) I completely agree.  I'm happy as hell to replay this and I can't say I know why exactly. x)

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #320 on: March 19, 2014, 09:11:04 PM »

Does the kid what wanted to be a blitzball still want to be a blitzball?

Also Wakka vaguely reminded me of this health teacher I had in 7th grad and he was in a Christian rock band and everyone thought he was a pedophile.

(PIC OMITTED LOLOLO !@#$!@#$ image hosting service)

he's the guy that looks like a total douchenozzelle in this picture.

Anyway.

Darvon Quiddly 6 - I found cave juice for the old lady.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 09:19:07 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #321 on: March 19, 2014, 09:52:38 PM »

I watched that part this morning and realized in context it's a lot less awkward than people make it out to be. I mean, at that point Tidus still thinks all this is just some crazy nightmare and it just keeps getting stranger and stranger, at the same time reality is starting to hit him that maybe this isn't a nightmare after all.

I'd laugh like a psychopath too.

I don't think he's right in the head anyway. Remember that most of the story is basically Tidus telling the rest of the group about the journey they've all just been on.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 10:05:42 PM by Klutz64 » Logged

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
solidbatman
Zetsubou Sensei

The real me exists on the internet!

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #322 on: March 19, 2014, 10:19:35 PM »

Apparently, I pre-ordered Witch and the Hundred Knight. I have no memory of ever pre-ordering, nor do I remember wanting it. Out of curiosity, I looked up the game and am now somewhat happy I pre-ordered it in whatever state of mind I was in at the time.

Elegance

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #323 on: March 19, 2014, 10:29:51 PM »

Apparently, I pre-ordered Witch and the Hundred Knight. I have no memory of ever pre-ordering, nor do I remember wanting it. Out of curiosity, I looked up the game and am now somewhat happy I pre-ordered it in whatever state of mind I was in at the time.
There was a pricing error where it was $19.99 for a couple of hours (I think) on Amazon and Target in November.  Maybe you jumped on that deal.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #324 on: March 19, 2014, 11:18:36 PM »

I loved FFX, just like a lot of of you did, but I have no desire to ever play it again. But, I never play ANY game more than once, so I think my opinion may not count here.

Finished the Swamp Palace in A Link Between Worlds. The bosses seem to be getting easier and easier, which is odd, but kind of makes sense.
I like how the dungeons are not overly massive multi-play session affairs. Well, for me, they still take 2-3 nights, but that's nothing compared to past Zelda dungeons. They are perfectly designed, and the perfect length.
This game rocks.

Playing: TWD Season 2
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #325 on: March 19, 2014, 11:24:43 PM »

I loved FFX, just like a lot of of you did, but I have no desire to ever play it again. But, I never play ANY game more than once, so I think my opinion may not count here.

Finished the Swamp Palace in A Link Between Worlds. The bosses seem to be getting easier and easier, which is odd, but kind of makes sense.
I like how the dungeons are not overly massive multi-play session affairs. Well, for me, they still take 2-3 nights, but that's nothing compared to past Zelda dungeons. They are perfectly designed, and the perfect length.
This game rocks.

Don't get/upgrade the Fire Rod.  That thing is broken.

And obviously it gets easier because you're getting better! :D

Anyways, I do feel what you mean.  I actually like the shorter dungeons too.  First time around for Zelda dungeons used to take me forever (ie; a few nights).  The more I think about the "classic" love of Zelda compared to newer and other adventure games though, the more I can't wait to see a Zelda for the WiiU.  Between that and Xenoblade 2 I'd say my system purchase was justified (well, I only paid fifty bucks, but still).

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #326 on: March 19, 2014, 11:39:33 PM »

This game rocks.

Anyways, I do feel what you mean.  I actually like the shorter dungeons too.  First time around for Zelda dungeons used to take me forever (ie; a few nights).  The more I think about the "classic" love of Zelda compared to newer and other adventure games though, the more I can't wait to see a Zelda for the WiiU.  Between that and Xenoblade 2 I'd say my system purchase was justified (well, I only paid fifty bucks, but still).

I love the fire rod! It kicks ass. I haven't actually bought it yet, but I keep renting it when I (rarely) die. I suppose it could end up making things a bit too easy, though.
As much as I love Zelda games, as a whole(*glares at Skyward Sword*), a new one for the WiiU could push me over the edge of getting one. I'm in no hurry, though. Just like with the newer systems. I'll get there eventually.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 09:31:19 AM by GrimReality » Logged

Playing: TWD Season 2
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #327 on: March 20, 2014, 01:18:11 AM »

This game rocks.

I love the fire rod! It kicks ass. I haven't actually bought it yet, but I keep renting it when I (rarely) die. I suppose it could end up making things a bit too easy, though.
As much as I love Zelda games, as a whole(*glares at Skyward Sword*), a new one for the WiiU could push me over the end of getting one. I'm in no hurry, though. Just like with the newer systems. I'll get there eventually.

As much as I love shooting fireballs, summoning pillars of fire is just as good.

As for my opinion on Zelda dungeon length. I too prefer shorter length dungeons since larger dungeons aren't any less linear and they take up more space and development resources which could be used to improve the overworld instead. Actually, I feel that since Wind Waker, dungeons have become the focus of the games' development over creating a good cohesive overworld to bring it all together (with WW's tiny islands, a large number of which were gimmicky or little more than a few rocks/blocks sticking out of the water, TP's OoT inspired layout of loosely connected set pieces, and SS's obstacle courses with a little nondescript gliding in-between).

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #328 on: March 20, 2014, 11:02:07 AM »

Im in the camp that loves every minute of FF X,  laughing scene included(it fits the scene and the context of the game incredibly well). One of my favourite games of all time, especially because of all the subtext and depth of the storyline.

I replayed it 1-2 years ago so I still feel like it is too soon for another playthrough. At the same time, dat hd, dat remastered soundtrack and dat nostalgia is putting me over the edge......I will buy it in april atleast but I don't know if I will play it right away.. I will probably boot it up and see how it's like and then end up playing all day.. Im looking forward to that happening.

Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #329 on: March 20, 2014, 01:40:16 PM »

I have to go to work soon but I'm stuck in a tournament match against the Al Bhed Psyches. They don't have a good enough offense to get past my defense, but their goalie has an impossibly high CA stat. About to enter Overtime #5

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 129 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: