Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 03:07:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334825 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  A Game Journal Reborn
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 153 Print
Author Topic: A Game Journal Reborn  (Read 63822 times)
Klyde Chroma
Lvl. 7 Fruity Ninja and Dincrest groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #330 on: March 20, 2014, 05:14:14 PM »

FFX marks for me the end of the 2014 new releases I wanted to care about but couldn't... It started back with Lightning Returns and now finally begins the release of stuff I really care about playing.

FFX was the beginning of the end of my love affair with FF, even though I played through it twice (don't hate me for hating Tidus, I'm jealous of his hair).... Symphonia was my least favorite Tales (albeit good, I would just rather embark on eternia or xilia 2 next)... Lightning Returns would have been cool for me if not for the horrible motion sickness issues with XIII-2 I experienced, coupled with the fact that LR was NOTHING like I wanted or hoped for.

Long story short, I've been enduring a terrible sense of false desire to play stuff I really don't want to play for awhile now due to new release clamor and whatnot.

Atelier E&L marks the beginning of the new releases I'm genuinely stoked for..... Now if I can just get through end game FF TaY (hell) so I could play it! LoL

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #331 on: March 20, 2014, 06:52:22 PM »

I'm about three and a half hours into Golden Sun: Dark Dawn. I'm to the Konpa ruins. I'm still kind of amazed at how easily everything has come back to me from the previous games even though I haven't played them in years. I was pretty much able to jump right into it. Anyway, I'm at the Konpa Gate and I'm heading to meet Kraden to go through some caves. I was exploring and found a summoning tablet that will allow me to summon some new spirit.

Liking it so far, and the music is just as wonderful as the GBA games. Yay!
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #332 on: March 20, 2014, 07:05:01 PM »

^ I find it both the weirdest and coolest thing that the commercial for the original GBA release inspired[?] a summon in Dark Dawn.

Sorta spoilers I guess:
http://goldensun.wikia.com/wiki/Crystallux
http://youtu.be/N37K08lpRo8 (to its credit, even if kind of "off topic" for the game itself, the commercial is pretty cool...and especially for a videogame commercial)

Both titles, for their time and otherwise, always had wicked looking summons. 
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 07:08:45 PM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Arklight

Know the meaning of Odio.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #333 on: March 20, 2014, 07:55:32 PM »

I've actually been playing through Demon's Souls over the latter half of my spring break. I've cleared 1-1 and 1-2, 2-1 and 2-2, and 4-1. I've never actually played Dark Souls or Dark Souls 2, so I'm hoping to finally get into these games. (Spoiler: I am)
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #334 on: March 20, 2014, 09:03:51 PM »

I like all of FFX. ;=; ALL OF IT.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA < Even that part.

One more day until it is mine.

Count me in this group too. This is my favorite game ever though so...

Anyway, 10 hours into this and I'm loving it... the nostalgia, gorgeous HD update (seriously, this is the best one I've seen yet) and surprisingly this soundtrack is growing on me. Really digging it. Having both copies to cross play has been great too because there's times when my fiance wants the TV and I can just start playing on the Vita. Gah I'm having too much fun. If only school wouldn't get in my way of this 10 year reunion. I'm having flashbacks to when I was playing this on my little standard tv in my room with my awful PS2 that I had to replace because PS2's sucked until the slim version, which I haven't had any problems with.

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #335 on: March 20, 2014, 09:26:26 PM »

Re: I thought FFX's story was dumb but I loved how it actually played.

--- edit ---

MGS3 - About out of the mountains. I LIKE THIS GAME A LOT STILL.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 10:17:02 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #336 on: March 20, 2014, 09:41:09 PM »

All the references to Nostalgia in regards to FFX make me laugh. It feels far too recent to be nostalgic about. FFIV(2 on the SNES!) I am nostalgic about. FFX not so much. Maybe in 10 more years. I also realize this could have something to do with younger people on the board growing from a kid into an adult in that time. Then 10 years seems like a lot of time. *shrugs*

Playing: TWD Season 2, Alan Wake
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #337 on: March 20, 2014, 09:44:09 PM »

There are so many things about the early game in FFX that I wonder why other games have such a hard time getting right. The most significant one being how the early game handles MP/Magic. Magic is cost effective in the early game of FFX. It doesn't cost an arm and a leg to cast, and it's extra resource cost pays off in its damage potential. Of course this becomes a joke when the "1 MP Cost" trait enters the picture, but I still love how balanced it is at first. I also love that the equipment in the game has almost purely horizontal progression. The best equipment is not always the right equipment and vice versa.

solidbatman
Zetsubou Sensei

The real me exists on the internet!

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #338 on: March 20, 2014, 10:03:45 PM »

I have to go to work soon but I'm stuck in a tournament match against the Al Bhed Psyches. They don't have a good enough offense to get past my defense, but their goalie has an impossibly high CA stat. About to enter Overtime #5

HD Blitzball might be the thing I'm most excited for when my copy of FFX comes in.

Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #339 on: March 20, 2014, 11:03:16 PM »

I've been telling you for quite some time you are the ONLY person who liked that idiotic game, lol

Everything's Eventual
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #340 on: March 20, 2014, 11:04:41 PM »

I've been telling you for quite some time you are the ONLY person who liked that idiotic game, lol

Fuck you, Apidya was amazing!

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #341 on: March 21, 2014, 12:12:51 AM »

There are so many things about the early game in FFX that I wonder why other games have such a hard time getting right. The most significant one being how the early game handles MP/Magic. Magic is cost effective in the early game of FFX. It doesn't cost an arm and a leg to cast, and it's extra resource cost pays off in its damage potential. Of course this becomes a joke when the "1 MP Cost" trait enters the picture, but I still love how balanced it is at first. I also love that the equipment in the game has almost purely horizontal progression. The best equipment is not always the right equipment and vice versa.

Probably because you have a character who literally runs off of MP and becomes useless the moment she runs out. Given that Exp AP is awarded based upon participation in battle, being useless kinda makes it hard to participate. Of course said AP awarding feature is why there's an enemy that's weak to/not strong against one of your party members' gimmicks, for every member, in every area. And because of that, there's plenty of enemies that only take effective damage from magic.

Anyways, I've just finished running up the south half of Mi'hen's Highroad, and am about to tussle with the Chocobo Eater. I wonder if I should start cashing in my Sphere Levels soon.

One thing I had forgotten since my first playthrough was the fact that Auron was a lot more upfront about Jecht and Sin than I remembered. It kinda justifies his not speeling all the beans at the first real opportunity since Tidus couldn't even handle that tidbit at that point.

That said, its still painfully obvious at just how much Square tried to make Auron look cool.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #342 on: March 21, 2014, 09:47:47 AM »

I'd say they succeeded. Auron is awesome.

I feel nostalgic about things I did 2-4 years ago. Sue me.

Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #343 on: March 21, 2014, 01:21:03 PM »

Just arrived in Guadosalam. I agree that I didn't remember Auron being so upfront about Sin and Jecht, but it has also been 10 years lol. I find blitzball fun as well, although it can be frustrating at times. It took me several tries before I beat the Luca Goers in the final match because they are so much higher level than your people. About to cross the Thunder Plains now.

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #344 on: March 21, 2014, 02:00:22 PM »

Dark Souls II:

Couldn't get into the beta back when it was going on because the code Namco sent me was used by someone else, that no longer matters though since I've had 5 great days with DSII so far.

I'm impressed with the work FromSoftware did. Outside of the Souls series I'm new to their work so I had my doubts (like everyone else) if they could do a sequel properly, and they did expanded and fixed big part of the more obtuse design of Dark Souls.

PvP is much, much better now IMO. PvP in Dark Souls was never on point no matter how many patches were released.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 153 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: