Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 05:58:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330171 Posts in 13528 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  A Game Journal Reborn
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 119 Print
Author Topic: A Game Journal Reborn  (Read 46737 times)
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #345 on: March 21, 2014, 07:46:36 PM »

Just arrived in Guadosalam. I agree that I didn't remember Auron being so upfront about Sin and Jecht, but it has also been 10 years lol. I find blitzball fun as well, although it can be frustrating at times. It took me several tries before I beat the Luca Goers in the final match because they are so much higher level than your people. About to cross the Thunder Plains now.

The big thing about beating the Luca Goers during the starting tourney is to have Tidus dribble the ball a bit in the first half making sure to pass away rather than get the ball knocked from his hand, then play keepa way until the half time. Have Tidus level up and gain a skill slot, then equip him with the Jecht Shot, then get him close to the goal, if he has more than two defenders on him, have him tank the first hit and hope to god it isn't somebody who can one shot him because they typically can and will, otherwise let the shot fly and it should go through if you're close enough. Then just burn time until Wakka shows up, and if you're ballsy or only tied at this point then you can have him take a shot, but don't count on it. Otherwise, hope to god the Goers don't score at all because Tidus only has enough HP to Jecht Shot once during the early to mid game.

For seasonal play, avoid the Goers as much as possible until your team has gotten a few levels under their belt. If you can't, then do the above while acknowledging that Tidus will become useless for the remainder of the match, except as an intermediary in a pass or a defender, after making his Jecht shot.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #346 on: March 21, 2014, 08:05:30 PM »

Bravely Default--

UGH! This game! I'm only finishing it at this point for the sake of saying I didn't give up. 30-minute "cutscene" followed by a battle I couldn't possibly have prepared for without a guide and no chance to save before the fight. Yeah, most of the content before the fight can be skipped now, but it's still a stupid design decision.

It kind of falls in with my main problem with this game. There's a big difference between a game that is long and a game that is too long, and Bravely Default certainly falls into the latter category. Dialogue is needlessly long-winded, there's way too much traveling simply to get from cutscene to cutscene and then there are these side quests that are just stupidly long cutscenes followed immediately by a fight.

It's so frustrating. It's not like I'm playing for plot, since that's basically been spoiled with all the "hints" at what those of us slowpokes are in for in chapter 5+

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #347 on: March 22, 2014, 12:16:43 AM »

Just arrived in Guadosalam. I agree that I didn't remember Auron being so upfront about Sin and Jecht, but it has also been 10 years lol. I find blitzball fun as well, although it can be frustrating at times. It took me several tries before I beat the Luca Goers in the final match because they are so much higher level than your people. About to cross the Thunder Plains now.

The big thing about beating the Luca Goers during the starting tourney is to have Tidus dribble the ball a bit in the first half making sure to pass away rather than get the ball knocked from his hand, then play keepa way until the half time. Have Tidus level up and gain a skill slot, then equip him with the Jecht Shot, then get him close to the goal, if he has more than two defenders on him, have him tank the first hit and hope to god it isn't somebody who can one shot him because they typically can and will, otherwise let the shot fly and it should go through if you're close enough. Then just burn time until Wakka shows up, and if you're ballsy or only tied at this point then you can have him take a shot, but don't count on it. Otherwise, hope to god the Goers don't score at all because Tidus only has enough HP to Jecht Shot once during the early to mid game.

For seasonal play, avoid the Goers as much as possible until your team has gotten a few levels under their belt. If you can't, then do the above while acknowledging that Tidus will become useless for the remainder of the match, except as an intermediary in a pass or a defender, after making his Jecht shot.

Yeah I definitely played keep away in the first half passing back and forth between my team until time ran out. Tidus leveled up as well as a couple of others and I equipped Jecht Shot. I scored with Jecht Shot to take a 1-0 lead and tried to play keep away, but they were too good and scored right before the Wakka switch so it was 1-1. I somehow managed to score with Wakka's poison shot and hung on to win 2-1.

FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #348 on: March 22, 2014, 02:11:18 AM »

Atelier Escha & Logy: Alchemists of Something to do with Dusk.

My experience playing this game is an incredibly odd one. I abhor the characters (except Logy, I like being able to play a male alchemist), and I feel like all of them (bar Escha and Logy) are pretty much irrelevant to the game as a whole (I'm in year 3, so I might still be missing some). The story is, uh, there isn't one, just a series of tasks. While I have less of a problem with that than the characters, it'd be nice to have more interesting motivation other than "MARION SAYS GO DO THIS."

All that said, the gameplay is still good. The changes from Ayesha (and Arland) are great, and I actually just sat and played for nearly 3 hours--which is a massive period of time for me to play at once. So I'm definitely enjoying all the alchemy and combat, though I feel like there's less exploration in Dusk than Arland, which is not so good.

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #349 on: March 22, 2014, 02:55:21 AM »

Dragon Quest 6 - Did stuff with the russians bleeding all over THAT WAS WEIRD.

Dragon Force - Played this for like an hour. The focus on like events/story works for me. That's why I guess I was so enamored by Paradox's stuff. ... And I'm reminded I have Dark Wizard and both Ogre Battle games that I still need to play more of.

Legendragon of Mana - New horizontal movement code works. Adding vertical

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #350 on: March 22, 2014, 05:55:55 AM »

Been playing Infamous Second Son. Game is enjoyable. Really like that I get a full set of exploration powers in one of the first few story missions. Like that powers don't require stupid stunts to unlock now. Got two districts free now. Game says I am 23% through the game. I suspect that I'm not that far along in terms of time investment though
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #351 on: March 22, 2014, 09:02:10 AM »

Yeah I definitely played keep away in the first half passing back and forth between my team until time ran out. Tidus leveled up as well as a couple of others and I equipped Jecht Shot. I scored with Jecht Shot to take a 1-0 lead and tried to play keep away, but they were too good and scored right before the Wakka switch so it was 1-1. I somehow managed to score with Wakka's poison shot and hung on to win 2-1.

I only ever beat them once. I was relieved to find out there was no PS Trophy for beating them.

Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #352 on: March 22, 2014, 12:09:39 PM »

Hah, I actually got the platinum trophy for Escha & Logy! I checked my list just for laughs and there it was. Normally I only get like 30-50% of the trophies without trying.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #353 on: March 22, 2014, 12:20:53 PM »

So I'm trying to decide if I want to sperg out on filling out the Sphere Grid for max stats or not.

On the one hand, I kinda want to doof around with the Monster Arena.

On the other, I kinda just want to beat the damn game and be done with it.

On the other, other hand, I want to make my trip around the grid count for as much as possible.

Right now, I've held back up to the Chocobo Eater but I've hit the point where the game is expecting the player to have advanced far enough in the Sphere Grid to finally make a noticeable difference to their characters' stats, plus I've got 99 Power Spheres and I've been sitting on some stat booster Spheres, plus I want to avoid doing what I did in Star Ocean 2 and sperg out to level 100 before the start of the sequence of unwinnable boss fights in the later half of disk 1.

So the question is, what kinda of bullshit do I need to pull to deal with the Monster Arena?

Bravely Default--

UGH! This game! I'm only finishing it at this point for the sake of saying I didn't give up. 30-minute "cutscene" followed by a battle I couldn't possibly have prepared for without a guide and no chance to save before the fight. Yeah, most of the content before the fight can be skipped now, but it's still a stupid design decision.

It kind of falls in with my main problem with this game. There's a big difference between a game that is long and a game that is too long, and Bravely Default certainly falls into the latter category. Dialogue is needlessly long-winded, there's way too much traveling simply to get from cutscene to cutscene and then there are these side quests that are just stupidly long cutscenes followed immediately by a fight.

It's so frustrating. It's not like I'm playing for plot, since that's basically been spoiled with all the "hints" at what those of us slowpokes are in for in chapter 5+

Right now I'm trying to recall where there's a boss fight in this game that isn't immediately preceded by a save point. Best guess was that you bombed the Ninja sidequest fight.

Alternate guess would be losing one of the pre-chapter 4 Victor/ia fights.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #354 on: March 22, 2014, 12:33:28 PM »

Just got to the Ice Temple in FFX. About to fight Seymour for the first time. I remember this battle being difficult, but I could be wrong.

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #355 on: March 22, 2014, 12:41:01 PM »

Just got to the Ice Temple in FFX. About to fight Seymour for the first time. I remember this battle being difficult, but I could be wrong.

The only Seymour battle I hated was the one on Mount Gagazet.

"Death Awaits You!"

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #356 on: March 22, 2014, 01:15:23 PM »

The only Seymour battle I hated was the one on Mount Gagazet.

"Death Awaits You!"

I love when people tell me a battle is tough, so I over-level.  Then I got through it fine.  That was the situation when I did this fight.
The chocobo eater too.  I got Fira and the battle was over in seconds.  It was divine.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #357 on: March 22, 2014, 03:54:58 PM »

@Aeolus - It was the Ninja fight, yes. Seems I have to fight every boss twice. Once to learn the boss' attacks and vulnerabilities. And another to set up my party to deal with them.

Re: FFX - You know, playing through this game now I'm just kind of shocked I was ever even remotely surprised by the game's various twists.

"Why are you still here, sir?"
------
"He has made his choice. Just as you did when you chose to become a summoner."
-----

And that's only two of the big ones. There's also the party constantly telling Tidus to not fall for Yuna and all the awkward pauses when Tidus talks about the future. Then Rin's story about helping Auron and it just goes on and on.

Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #358 on: March 22, 2014, 05:55:06 PM »

I think the last dungeon in FF TAY is a bad joke that doesn't ever end.

Seriously, I've been in it for a week now. I beat like two dozen bosses so far.... This is becoming absurd.

I thought the last dungeon in Persona 2 IS was pretty epic in volume but in contrast to TAY it was small taters'. The primary difference being I felt/knew the P2 IS dungeon would eventually end because I felt I was making progress.... I'm beginning to have my doubts about TAY's.

Dragon Force - Played this for like an hour.

*INSERT JEALOUSY HERE*
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 06:00:38 PM by Klyde Chroma » Logged

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #359 on: March 22, 2014, 07:49:13 PM »

Yesterday on a thread I was reading and can't find now on NeoGAF a guy said that he stopped playing Final Fantasy IX after a while because of the random encounters, and more importantly, because of Zidane's tail.

*shrug* :T

Dark Souls II:

Giant spiders and a certain giant dog are wrecking my shit.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 119 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: