Author Topic: A Game Journal Reborn  (Read 1954945 times)

Elegance

• View Profile
Re: A Game Journal Reborn
« Reply #375 on: March 23, 2014, 07:23:50 PM »
Started Metal Gear Rising, and wow, what an incredible game.  Platinum is in such a different league when compared to other developers, it's insane.

Finished Thomas Was Alone, talk about wasted potential.  Also working my way through chapter 5 in Bravely Default.

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: March 23, 2014, 09:38:23 PM »
Pretty sure my hidden ELO in LoL raised quite a bit lately. I feel like I've gotten a lot better too.

That said... I just played a game where I was forced to adc. I am terribad at adc. Even worst now that I'm matched against better opponents.

It's been a while since I've won a game and felt like I did nothing at all nothing at all nothing at all =P
Huzzah for diamond teammates.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 09:51:32 PM by Annubis »

Reta

• View Profile
« Reply #377 on: March 23, 2014, 09:53:51 PM »
I think the last dungeon in FF TAY is a bad joke that doesn't ever end.

Seriously, I've been in it for a week now. I beat like two dozen bosses so far.... This is becoming absurd.

I thought the last dungeon in Persona 2 IS was pretty epic in volume but in contrast to TAY it was small taters'. The primary difference being I felt/knew the P2 IS dungeon would eventually end because I felt I was making progress.... I'm beginning to have my doubts about TAY's.

At least it isn't like Dimensions, where the final dungeon had (sort of gameplay but not story spoilers)
its own overworld map and contained five smaller dungeons.

More people need to play Dimensions. It really feels like a successor to FFV in every respect.

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #378 on: March 23, 2014, 10:13:17 PM »
Final Fantasy X

Blitzball was made by people who hate videogames.
Expect me to make a thread asking for [concise] help otherwise Wakka is gonna get left behind.
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

solidbatman

• Zetsubou Sensei
  • The real me exists on the internet!
    • View Profile
    • Fuwanovel
« Reply #379 on: March 23, 2014, 10:16:51 PM »
Blitzball is the best. Quit drinking the hater-ade

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: March 23, 2014, 10:22:59 PM »
I love Blitzball, and when FFX came out all my friends at the time loved it, too. So I'm a little surprised to see all the hatred towards it now. I only have two really crucial rules to getting good at the game:

1. Stick with it. Your team will pretty much suck for the entirety of the first season and tournaments, but they'll get exponentially better, particularly if you follow Rule #2...

2. SCOUT! SCOUT! SCOUT! Always be looking for free agents and keep track of when other teams' best players' contracts run out so you can steal them for yourself.

Elegance

• View Profile
« Reply #381 on: March 23, 2014, 10:30:38 PM »
Blitzball opinions seem to be extremely polarized.  I'm on the side that hates it.

I noticed in Bravely Default that some of the shops added new items in chapter 5, but none of the ones I've come across are good right now.  Are there any worth going back to, either now or at a later chapter?  For some reason this is very difficult to look up (I always end up with information on rebuilding Norende instead).

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #382 on: March 23, 2014, 10:31:13 PM »
As far as I can tell there are ONLY two pools of Blitzball and it's the hate pool or love pool.  There's no in between.

I want to like it, but I definitely hate how complex it is, the shitty camera work, and the dodgy programming.

(1) How do you scout people?  Is it literally anyone?
(2) Should I try playing now or should I just leave it to later when more stuff happens?
(3) Any recommended players?  I've heard you can even do trades?
(4) Does me losing just make other teams better (through level ups)?

I'm honestly just trying to get through the game as quick as possible... Get the Jupiter Sig and get out.
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: March 23, 2014, 10:40:30 PM »
This thread moves way too fast some days....

Blitzball opinions seem to be extremely polarized.  I'm on the side that hates it.

I noticed in Bravely Default that some of the shops added new items in chapter 5, but none of the ones I've come across are good right now.  Are there any worth going back to, either now or at a later chapter?  For some reason this is very difficult to look up (I always end up with information on rebuilding Norende instead).

Check the magic shop on the Grandship. That, and one new weapon that you may or may not have by now will show up in every individual weapon shop in the game (assume the talking fox in Yulyana Woods and the swamp are the same shop). Although, the magic shop one is the only one that matters (and you can make it to chapter 6 just fine without its contents).

Final Fantasy X

Blitzball was made by people who hate videogames.
Expect me to make a thread asking for [concise] help otherwise Wakka is gonna get left behind.

Quoting myself from two pages back.

Just arrived in Guadosalam. I agree that I didn't remember Auron being so upfront about Sin and Jecht, but it has also been 10 years lol. I find blitzball fun as well, although it can be frustrating at times. It took me several tries before I beat the Luca Goers in the final match because they are so much higher level than your people. About to cross the Thunder Plains now.

The big thing about beating the Luca Goers during the starting tourney is to have Tidus dribble the ball a bit in the first half making sure to pass away rather than get the ball knocked from his hand, then play keepa way until the half time. Have Tidus level up and gain a skill slot, then equip him with the Jecht Shot, then get him close to the goal, if he has more than two defenders on him, have him tank the first hit and hope to god it isn't somebody who can one shot him because they typically can and will, otherwise let the shot fly and it should go through if you're close enough. Then just burn time until Wakka shows up, and if you're ballsy or only tied at this point then you can have him take a shot, but don't count on it. Otherwise, hope to god the Goers don't score at all because Tidus only has enough HP to Jecht Shot once during the early to mid game.

For seasonal play, avoid the Goers as much as possible until your team has gotten a few levels under their belt. If you can't, then do the above while acknowledging that Tidus will become useless for the remainder of the match, except as an intermediary in a pass or a defender, after making his Jecht shot.

My other pieces of advice, are to figure out how to turn on Manual movement control (press Triangle), how to bring up the command window (press Circle), how to watch the mini-map (because what you see on the screen is more useless than not until its time to do something), how to quick time new abilities (press everything I guess, and hope you got lucky), and how to get lucky (because even if you do everything right, it still comes down to sheer luck most of the time; and whether or not you picked up the Jecht Shot).

As for scouting, assume it'll work on any non-plot important NPC (or NPCs rushing to their doom; hi Crusaders), not that it matters since Blitzball is easy enough to manage with just the Aurochs (since they're already configured to positions best suiting their stats).

Just got to the Ice Temple in FFX. About to fight Seymour for the first time. I remember this battle being difficult, but I could be wrong.

The only Seymour battle I hated was the one on Mount Gagazet.

"Death Awaits You!"

I love when people tell me a battle is tough, so I over-level.  Then I got through it fine.  That was the situation when I did this fight.
The chocobo eater too.  I got Fira and the battle was over in seconds.  It was divine.

For me, the battle I hated most was when Kimahri
Code: [Select]
fights his two big brothers by himself.  I did not feel like levelling up the "useless kitten" (as General Mortars liked to call him back in the day) so I figured I'd GameShark the fight.  Worst decision ever.  This is the only instance where Gamesharking made something more trying.  That battle became the longest and most tedious boss battle I'd ever experienced in an RPG.  I knew I'd win, but it took for-freaking-ever.  

Wait? You weren't using everybody at least once per fight in EVERY fight you get into?

Anyways, made it to Fraggle Mushroom Rock(y) Road Ice Cream. Still haven't used any Spheres on my Sphere Grids yet. Chocobo Eater needed three tries to beat since it took me awhile to catch on that he gets a lot more aggressive when Ifreet is around (and also because the second attempt started with the Eater rushing me before the battle fade-in effect resolved and the fight proceeded to go downhill from there). Also, newsflash, Seymour is still a douche ("Why I'm only here because these people are trying to beat Sin and I wish to support them, and am totally not here to get a front seat view as they get hoisted by their own petard, or to hit on Yuna like some kind of creepy stalker.").

Also, I wish it didn't take till chapter 7 in Bravely Default to actually start changing up the sidequests beyond changing a line or 5. They're now entertaining again ("You no have girl power!"). Also Obliterate is making my life easy-peasy.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Lard

• View Profile
« Reply #384 on: March 23, 2014, 10:49:34 PM »
As far as I can tell there are ONLY two pools of Blitzball and it's the hate pool or love pool. 

I hate it. I want every blitzball player to drown.

I went back to the Saboteur last night after ages and made some mission progress.

I have to admit that going after all the Nazi outposts and things you can blow up is a pretty addicting part of the game.
I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: March 23, 2014, 10:55:51 PM »
As far as I can tell there are ONLY two pools of Blitzball and it's the hate pool or love pool.  There's no in between.

I want to like it, but I definitely hate how complex it is, the shitty camera work, and the dodgy programming.

(1) How do you scout people?  Is it literally anyone?
(2) Should I try playing now or should I just leave it to later when more stuff happens?
(3) Any recommended players?  I've heard you can even do trades?

I'm honestly just trying to get through the game as quick as possible... Get the Jupiter Sig and get out.

1) Just go up to people and hit SQUARE. The pool is a pretty limited percentage of Spira, but you never know when you'll find someone. Keep doing it to raise your Scout level and unlock more scouting opportunities.
2) The game does a decent job of separating main game progress and blitzball progress, so it's not really important, but getting a few games in before the endgame will make things a bit smoother.
3) At the endgame, with a high enough scouting level you can recruit Wakka and Brother, both of which are fantastic choices. Also Miryu, sitting on a bench on the Moonflow northern shore, is one of the best goalkeepers in the game.
4) From my experience, everything stays pretty even as long as you don't just spend an entire game swimming around.

Not to discourage you, but I've played the game 4 times, once for 120 hours, and not once did I play enough Blitzball to get the Jupiter Sigil. You have to get all the Reels first before even having a shot at the Sigil.

solidbatman

• Zetsubou Sensei
  • The real me exists on the internet!
    • View Profile
    • Fuwanovel
« Reply #386 on: March 23, 2014, 11:39:12 PM »
I actually never played Blitzball for anything other than fun to be honest. I mean, I got really good at it, but never cared to go for the big stuff in it.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: March 23, 2014, 11:46:00 PM »
As far as I can tell there are ONLY two pools of Blitzball and it's the hate pool or love pool.  There's no in between.

(1) How do you scout people?  Is it literally anyone?
(3) Any recommended players?  I've heard you can even do trades?

1) Just go up to people and hit SQUARE. The pool is a pretty limited percentage of Spira, but you never know when you'll find someone. Keep doing it to raise your Scout level and unlock more scouting opportunities.
2) The game does a decent job of separating main game progress and blitzball progress, so it's not really important, but getting a few games in before the endgame will make things a bit smoother.
3) At the endgame, with a high enough scouting level you can recruit Wakka and Brother, both of which are fantastic choices. Also Miryu, sitting on a bench on the Moonflow northern shore, is one of the best goalkeepers in the game.
4) From my experience, everything stays pretty even as long as you don't just spend an entire game swimming around.

Not to discourage you, but I've played the game 4 times, once for 120 hours, and not once did I play enough Blitzball to get the Jupiter Sigil. You have to get all the Reels first before even having a shot at the Sigil.

I think you've just inspired me to run an all female blitz team (or a Tidus harem failing that). If I can rename the team, I will endeavor to call it the Harem GlobeTidus (too bad there's no playable blitz in the second game ehh).
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: March 24, 2014, 12:33:43 AM »
Dice, ignore everything and get Jech Shot 2.
You don't need a team.

CluelessWonder

• View Profile
« Reply #389 on: March 24, 2014, 01:14:19 AM »
Finished the iOS version of 999 with all endings.  The normal ending seemed incomplete and well I got most of the bad endings when I played it on the DS.  I don't think I could have gotten the true ending without the guide.  The flow chart in the iOS version was a godsend.  I liked that they gave you route suggestions to get different endings.  I played most of the puzzles in the DS version so I really didn't feel like I was missing anything.  Yeah I didn't see the true-ending coming.  I was thinking of getting VLR on the 3ds but I heard it has a game crashing bug.  I will probably wait till I get a Vita to play it.  Heck if the iOS version does well I might play VLR on my ipad.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 05:17:14 AM by CluelessWonder »
Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief