Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 17, 2014, 11:52:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331472 Posts in 13573 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  A Game Journal Reborn
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 126 Print
Author Topic: A Game Journal Reborn  (Read 51808 times)
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #405 on: March 24, 2014, 02:17:21 PM »

Rikki is also very handy for stocking your items if you steal enough. I've been stealing from every enemy since I got her so that I have all the items for giving Aeons new abilities and customizing my equipment. She is not great for her battle prowess or lack thereof though, unless you are doing what Annubis mentioned.

Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #406 on: March 24, 2014, 04:43:17 PM »

Dice, ignore everything and get Jech Shot 2.
You don't need a team.

DICE, ignore everything, up to and including the entire stupid mini-game of Blitzball

That does kinda preclude her from getting any of Wakka's other Reels/top tier stuffs.

Don't care, didn't then either, LOL, seriously I HATED blitzball that much!!!! Although I do agree the side quests mini-games were way over the top, I finally just gave up and enjoyed the game at it's "base" level.

Everything's Eventual
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #407 on: March 24, 2014, 07:21:47 PM »

People on Nintendolife complaining about Toki Tori 2 being too obtuse. Faith in gaming community is gone.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #408 on: March 24, 2014, 07:30:00 PM »

You had faith in the gaming community?

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #409 on: March 24, 2014, 07:45:34 PM »

There's too much blood in games these days.  It makes me want borscht.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #410 on: March 24, 2014, 08:08:29 PM »

Just got to the Ice Temple in FFX. About to fight Seymour for the first time. I remember this battle being difficult, but I could be wrong.

The only Seymour battle I hated was the one on Mount Gagazet.

"Death Awaits You!"

I love when people tell me a battle is tough, so I over-level.  Then I got through it fine.  That was the situation when I did this fight.
The chocobo eater too.  I got Fira and the battle was over in seconds.  It was divine.

For me, the battle I hated most was when Kimahri
Code:
fights his two big brothers by himself.
 I did not feel like levelling up the "useless kitten" (as General Mortars liked to call him back in the day) so I figured I'd GameShark the fight.  Worst decision ever.  This is the only instance where Gamesharking made something more trying.  That battle became the longest and most tedious boss battle I'd ever experienced in an RPG.  I knew I'd win, but it took for-freaking-ever.  

Wait? You weren't using everybody at least once per fight in EVERY fight you get into?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOMJKl4DcFE

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #411 on: March 24, 2014, 09:03:25 PM »

Rikki is also very handy for stocking your items if you steal enough. I've been stealing from every enemy since I got her so that I have all the items for giving Aeons new abilities and customizing my equipment. She is not great for her battle prowess or lack thereof though, unless you are doing what Annubis mentioned.

Rikku's Grid is Agi all day, er'ry day. But I'll say this about her in International, at least she's not situated between Lulu and Yuna again where she's got no real chance of picking up Strength without burning over 50 Sphere Levels or a Teleport/Friend Sphere.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #412 on: March 25, 2014, 12:02:14 AM »

Dragon Force - Took out Borgon. Got Shadow in my party. Also I think I need to send Ogredd to Daiden to search for something.

- Some guy randomly entered one of my castles, was like WOAH CHECK OUT ALL THE BABES, freaked out, and started retreating to somewhere way across the map?
- The foreign affairs guy told me that we captured the sister of some thief but... what?

Also the sound's kind of freaking out. I'd get a real Saturn if they weren't so expensive/Sega disc drives worry me.

Anyway I think I'll go play Soul Hackers for awhile.

--- edit ---

I listened to Kraftwerk and wrote assembly code instead of playing soul hackers WOOPS.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 12:30:54 AM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #413 on: March 25, 2014, 09:42:45 AM »

Getting ever closer to the end of Tales of Xillia. Just made it to Elympios (I know this is stupid, but I hate that some people pronounce it 'Olympus' even though the spelling is so different). I was originally determined to only play the game once, but the events of Chapter 3 and 4 have me questioning that. Maybe I'll be able to easily find the Jude-only scenes on YT.

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #414 on: March 25, 2014, 11:51:31 AM »

Getting ever closer to the end of Tales of Xillia. Just made it to Elympios (I know this is stupid, but I hate that some people pronounce it 'Olympus' even though the spelling is so different). I was originally determined to only play the game once, but the events of Chapter 3 and 4 have me questioning that. Maybe I'll be able to easily find the Jude-only scenes on YT.

You're at the exact same place where I left off. After all the crap that happened in Chapter 3/beginning of Chapter 4, I needed a break from all of the insanity haha.

You should be able to find the Jude scenes through YT. When I tried playing the Japanese version back in 2011, there were walkthroughs for both Jude and Milla's stories on YT by the time I even got the game, so I'm sure it's the same with the English release.
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #415 on: March 25, 2014, 12:40:41 PM »

I'm curious Neal, how did gamesharking the two brothers fight with Kimahri make it harder? I actually used him at least once in every battle this time to make that battle easier and honestly had no trouble and he was up there with my characters I use regularly in terms of most stats. I did take Lulu's path on the expert grid though, which made it pretty easy with Drain and whatnot.

Just about ready to do the Zanarkand Cloister of Trials. After that I think you get the airship or close to it, then I can go back and really start digging into the sidequests. Can't wait.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 12:42:36 PM by Blace » Logged

Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #416 on: March 25, 2014, 03:15:50 PM »

Finally started playing The Walking Dead that came with my Vita.  Great game so far, but the port is half-assed.  Constant stuttering and freezing as you play it.
Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #417 on: March 25, 2014, 04:48:24 PM »

Well guys it FINALLY happened.. The final dungeon in FF4TaY ENDED!!! Only took about a week and a half, 30 boss fights and 2/3's of soul to beat it.

I gotta say two things... ONE) I haven't been this proud of beating a game in a long time. TWO) The plot development at the end is so far removed from what I feel is "Final Fantasy 4" I don't know whether to call it shocking or a disapointment.

To expand on my second point. *SPOILERS*
Code:
Final Fantasy 4 had an appeal to me in that there was little to no Sci-Fi elements in the 4 universe save a little trip to the moon. It was ALL magic and crystal shenanigans. They throw that out the window here in the last 20 minutes of the game. I feel like the end game writing essentially rewrites everything you've come to know and love about FF4 lore, turning it on its head in the interest of a cop-out-omnipotent-alien-race sci fi plot "twist" that is better forgotten in the interest of salvaging your fond nostalgic recollection of eidolons, mages, sages and knights.

If that came across as a harsh criticism, then I have achieved my aim. I'm outright saying that the end-game SUCKED and DID NOT jive with the FF 4 universe at all.

Another oddity I cannot understand... why the final boss battle was so simple and easy after the brutal difficulty of the last bosses prior. The last 3 to 4 bosses in the final dungeon had my palms sweaty while any difficulty in the final battle is utterly stripped away with the use a simple "slow" spell (yes the final boss was vulnerable to "slow"...)

All in all, while seeing more life and development given to the returning cast was cool, FF4 TaY was a total failure in my book. I love the graphics, music and what they did with Kain, Polom and Porm and that is where the appeal ends for me.

Now on to something entirely different.... For my next game I did decide to go for Atelier E&L instead of Blue Dragon. Too early to say much yet aside from I'm pretty happy with my decision.

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #418 on: March 25, 2014, 05:24:55 PM »

Code:
Final Fantasy 4 had an appeal to me in that there was little to no Sci-Fi elements in the 4 universe save a little trip to the moon. It was ALL magic and crystal shenanigans. They throw that out the window here in the last 20 minutes of the game. I feel like the end game writing essentially rewrites everything you've come to know and love about FF4 lore, turning it on its head in the interest of a cop-out-omnipotent-alien-race sci fi plot "twist" that is better forgotten in the interest of salvaging your fond nostalgic recollection of eidolons, mages, sages and knights.

If that came across as a harsh criticism, then I have achieved my aim. I'm outright saying that the end-game SUCKED and DID NOT jive with the FF 4 universe at all.

Another oddity I cannot understand... why the final boss battle was so simple and easy after the brutal difficulty of the last bosses prior. The last 3 to 4 bosses in the final dungeon had my palms sweaty while any difficulty in the final battle is utterly stripped away with the use a simple "slow" spell (yes the final boss was vulnerable to "slow"...)

You mean, outside of the Big Bad's main goal of setting a giant robot free to rampage Godzilla style across the face of the earth. Or the hovercrafts, airships, floating fortresses, human experimentation, and the occasional mad doctor piloting his Frankensteinian Monster like some kind of Ride Armor. Or even the cop-out omnipotent alien race that the Main Character and The Dragon both descended from (making at least one of them the super special chosen one that all JRPG protagonists need to be) and that the Big Bad and that other guy were both a part of. Amiright?

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #419 on: March 25, 2014, 06:32:41 PM »

Code:

You mean, outside of the Big Bad's main goal of setting a giant robot free to rampage Godzilla style across the face of the earth. Or the hovercrafts, airships, floating fortresses, human experimentation, and the occasional mad doctor piloting his Frankensteinian Monster like some kind of Ride Armor. Or even the cop-out omnipotent alien race that the Main Character and The Dragon both descended from (making at least one of them the super special chosen one that all JRPG protagonists need to be) and that the Big Bad and that other guy were both a part of. Amiright?

Well, when you put it that way... LoL

But I still hold firm that TaY's ending takes a far more sci fi angle than any of the aforementioned. Airships, machines, the Lunarians and all that jazz were very "Final Fantasy". Maybe if we care to split hairs, I would call it steam-punk esque or industrial-type-fantasy or something.

Whereas the big departure of...
Code:
The crystals are in fact data collection devices/tools from another alien planet and race roaming the galaxy to find a new home.
It proves, at least to me, to be a  poorly developed "revelation" that drastically changes my perception of pre-existing lore and takes it from the sci-fantasy styling of FF4/FF6 into an unfitting star trek realm of sci-fi that just doesn't fit.

Let me give an example of how this disturbs me. I will do so in code so as not to possibly drop *spoiler hints* as to the nature of things.. 
Code:
Imagine you got to the end of Lunar and found out that Athena was an alien probe, the Dragons were in fact all robots collecting data for her to complete her mission for Ghaleon, whom turns out to actually be the last of a surviving alien race. It might "work" in some sense, but it sure doesn't fit together very neatly.

One more example and I'll rest my case...
Code:
The Lord of the Rings. Lets say the hobbits turned out to be engineered Eugenic flunkies who were lab-made reject results of elves and dwarves. Lets take it further to say the rings of power were in fact just pieces of machinery intended to monitor and manipulate middle earths inhabitants and were planted by Sauron who was in fact an alien.
The FF4 TaY development felt strange along those lines to me...

I guess when it comes to fantasy that incorporates sci-fi anything could be written in and work. However there exists a fine line as to what is acceptable and what is not given the fantasy in question. Ultimately, my bottom line is that FF TaY is a lazily thought up piece of the puzzle that doesn't fit for me. The only appeal was the returning cast which can arguably not even be considered new in any sense.

NOTE: My bias and disdain also stems from the fact that I liked the writing to begin with. I felt they "set the stage" nicely in TaY. In fact, if the end game revelation was fleshed out with more then one boss and a few dialogue boxes, it may not have proved so jarring to me. Execution is just as much at fault as the actual content (maybe even more so) for the major fail in my eyes. There could easily have been 2 or 3 more chapters that made the existing TaY's ending an awesome twist as opposed to a cheap wrap-up.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 06:34:47 PM by Klyde Chroma » Logged

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 126 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: