Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 20, 2014, 01:44:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341066 Posts in 13939 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Game Journals
| | |-+  A Game Journal Reborn
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 182 Print
Author Topic: A Game Journal Reborn  (Read 82439 times)
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #600 on: April 06, 2014, 10:06:17 PM »

Started Fire Emblem Awakening last night. First hour impressions: very good. Never have been big into the SRPG genre so we'll see how this goes.

It is the most accessible Fire Emblem game since the series came stateside. The mechanics have always been simple to grasp, and Awakening threw in some nice surprises with the pairing system and the ability to customize unit classes. The previous games in the series tended to be very rigid in that regard.

I finished Golden Sun: Dark Dawn. I was glad to find the final boss was at least somewhat challenging considering the lack of difficulty throughout the rest of the game. The climax was kind of abrupt, and of course there is the hint of a sequel. That kind of made the ending feel a little less than satisfying as there was no real closure to many of the plot threads introduced at the beginning of the game. Hopefully something new will be coming before long.

I don't think I'm going to do any of the post-game content at this time. Maybe when/if news of the next game comes around then I'll revisit it, but I'm done for now.

Next up will either be Xenoblade Chronicles, or Chrono Trigger DS. Just need to catch up on some reading before I start those though.
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #601 on: April 07, 2014, 12:26:06 AM »

Just finished Imaginary Range episode 2.  It's more of an interactive comic book with mini-games.  The last battle is like a match 3 game except you are collecting orbs in a group.  Took me 5 tries to beat the dang thing.  It was entertaining and free.

Going ios crazy today and finished Blackbar.  It is a game where there are censoring overlords and you need to guess the redacted words in the letters from a friend.  It's fun yet frustrating at times since sometimes the words could be anything.  The purposefully misspelled words was the hardest for me. 
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 02:08:01 AM by CluelessWonder » Logged

Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #602 on: April 07, 2014, 02:34:17 AM »

brr EDIT
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 10:41:12 PM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #603 on: April 07, 2014, 02:54:35 AM »

Re Summon icons in the turn bar: You can blame Belgemine for that one. Not that you can have the same summon out at the same time, but let's blame her anyway because I lost the first battle against her because she gets Ifrit and I'm stuck with Valefor.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 02:56:17 AM by Starmongoose » Logged

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
ultra7k

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #604 on: April 07, 2014, 03:00:56 AM »

just beat FFII, so now I'll move on to current games in progress, well, one of Radiant Historia or Trails in the Sky. I can't decide.
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #605 on: April 07, 2014, 03:02:06 AM »

Re Summon icons in the turn bar: You can blame Belgemine for that one. Not that you can have the same summon out at the same time, but let's blame her anyway because I lost the first battle against her because she gets Ifrit and I'm stuck with Valefor.

Sound logic, i always appreciate and give a thorough ear to your posts Sir Starmongreggory.

EDIT: BEAT SEYMOUR WITH POISON.  FUCK YOU MENG.

RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #606 on: April 07, 2014, 06:28:59 AM »

Sound logic, i always appreciate and give a thorough ear to your posts Sir Starmongreggory.

EDIT: BEAT SEYMOUR WITH POISON.  FUCK YOU MENG.

Your FF X impressions are hilarious and that as they say is that!

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #607 on: April 07, 2014, 06:56:40 AM »

Started Fire Emblem Awakening last night. First hour impressions: very good. Never have been big into the SRPG genre so we'll see how this goes.

It is the most accessible Fire Emblem game since the series came stateside. The mechanics have always been simple to grasp, and Awakening threw in some nice surprises with the pairing system and the ability to customize unit classes. The previous games in the series tended to be very rigid in that regard.

I finished Golden Sun: Dark Dawn. I was glad to find the final boss was at least somewhat challenging considering the lack of difficulty throughout the rest of the game. The climax was kind of abrupt, and of course there is the hint of a sequel. That kind of made the ending feel a little less than satisfying as there was no real closure to many of the plot threads introduced at the beginning of the game. Hopefully something new will be coming before long.

I don't think I'm going to do any of the post-game content at this time. Maybe when/if news of the next game comes around then I'll revisit it, but I'm done for now.

Next up will either be Xenoblade Chronicles, or Chrono Trigger DS. Just need to catch up on some reading before I start those though.

FE:Awakening is very much the most accessible game in the series on both sides of the Pacific. Optional Permadeath, Grinding, a Player Insert character, and Reclassing for skills and such, not to mention Waifu Wars, a Ridiculously Easy Normal Mode, and Modern Character Designs (even if they generally suck) really opened the doors compared to earlier games in the series.

I hate to say it, but if you remove the Dark Dawn part of your Golden Sun review, you could easily use it for the original game wholesale.

And my two suggestions for Xenoblade is to not worry about going out of your way to complete sidequests since you'll have plenty of time to do them over the course of the game, and to make sure to talk to NPCs twice whenever you see them.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #608 on: April 07, 2014, 07:15:24 AM »

Playing DW8:XL and it really isn't doing anything for me right now. Not sure why it isn't either. Oh well, I'll keep playing it till Conception 2 comes out, then I'll put it on the backburner and platinum it later.

just beat FFII, so now I'll move on to current games in progress, well, one of Radiant Historia or Trails in the Sky. I can't decide.
I vote Radiant Historia.
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #609 on: April 07, 2014, 10:33:50 AM »

I actually gave in and moved on from FFIV:TAY back to Trails in the Sky. I have a question for those who have played it: How's the difficulty curve? I get the feeling it's going to be one of those RPG's where the monsters get stronger at a much slower pace than your characters.
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #610 on: April 07, 2014, 01:32:20 PM »

I actually gave in and moved on from FFIV:TAY back to Trails in the Sky. I have a question for those who have played it: How's the difficulty curve? I get the feeling it's going to be one of those RPG's where the monsters get stronger at a much slower pace than your characters.

Consistent.  Some bosses are harder than others (specficailly and especially some of the "guild enemies" will prove harder than even some bosses).  Standard RPG fair otherwise.  It's a good game though, and the battle system is fun.

Your FF X impressions are hilarious and that as they say is that!

I take pride in being told I'm somewhat funny, so thank you! :D
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 01:41:23 PM by Dice » Logged

RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #611 on: April 07, 2014, 01:43:10 PM »

EDIT: BEAT SEYMOUR WITH POISON.  FUCK YOU MENG.

I did the same thing. I think that's the best way to beat him honestly.

Getting Agility and Luck Sphere's is going to take FOREVER. After the strength, defense, and magic defense spheres being so easy I guess I should have expected this, but still it's annoying. The Great Sphere counters with Ultima after EVERY HIT so I have to wait for that animation, then wait for my characters to heal with auto-potion or auto-phoenix and it has 1.6 million HP which takes 17 hits of 99,999...

DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #612 on: April 07, 2014, 02:31:07 PM »

I thought it was really easy up until the final dungeon, which was the only real test. It's not mindless, you can't go through every battle spamming attack, but I never had much difficulty figuring out how to approach battles. This was with zero grinding too, I avoided a lot of battles but still didn't have much trouble, though I did complete as many sidequests as I could.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 02:33:34 PM by DPB » Logged
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #613 on: April 07, 2014, 03:39:10 PM »

I'd say you're wrong about that.  I thought the final dungeon was probably the most challenging part of the game.

Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #614 on: April 07, 2014, 03:56:11 PM »

I hate to say it, but if you remove the Dark Dawn part of your Golden Sun review, you could easily use it for the original game wholesale.

Haha! Sadly too true. I remember being all WTF when I finished the first game, and the ending for TLS was kind pretty disappointing as well even if it actually brought closure. The difference between those games, and Dark Dawn is the fact that it actually seemed like something was at stake in the GBA games. Where the world is at risk right from the get-go of the GBA games, Dark Dawn sends you off on an adventure to find a feather, and things just sort of happen along the way. It hints at more, but without the sequel all those hints amount to are a bunch of loose plot threads.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 182 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: