Author Topic: A Game Journal Reborn  (Read 1955626 times)

Bytor

• Ego Enhancement Consultant
  • Hiding in Inaba
    • View Profile
Re: A Game Journal Reborn
« Reply #615 on: April 07, 2014, 06:28:53 PM »
Beat the Ancient Fiend in Lost Odyssey, holy shit that was no joke! Three of my party was dead and two left would have been dead on his next turn, damn that is a satisfying victory!
Everything's Eventual

Klyde Chroma

• LVL. 99 - Midnight Crusader
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: April 07, 2014, 06:44:57 PM »
I actually gave in and moved on from FFIV:TAY back to Trails in the Sky. I have a question for those who have played it: How's the difficulty curve? I get the feeling it's going to be one of those RPG's where the monsters get stronger at a much slower pace than your characters.

Good call moving on from TaY. As someone who just suffered through it to the end, I can confirm for you that you are not missing much. In fact, I would go so far as to say that whatever has been to your imagination is probably far better than the experience you would have in finishing that freakin' game.  Now that some time has passed since I finished it, I can also say TaY sort of poisoned the nostalgic love I had for Cecil and the crew in some sense....

Now, I AM an OCD freak and it would have bothered the hell out of me if I didn't see it through. So on that note, I am happy that I did. But seriously man, I found it more inspiring to make soup out of red peppers in my kitchen then tend to the end-game dungeon.

If you are really concerned with seeing all the best it has to offer someday just play the Kain chapter and the Lunarian chapter. If your still enticed/curious, wiki the rest.

Now as for Trails.... GREAT GAME!!! And that is in no small way due to the wonderful balance in difficulty and gameplay. I found it pleasantly challenging, albeit not impossible, to move through without grinding. Thorough exploration of dungeons was sufficient, in terms of growth for my characters, to proceed without the need to level and never proved to unwittingly over-power my characters. This type of balance is a hall-mark of an exceptional title for me. I hate too easy. I can cope with, but don't appreciate, too hard. Trails in the Sky was totally in the "just right" zone for me.

I am more a battlefield than a Ninja.

Lard

• View Profile
« Reply #617 on: April 07, 2014, 08:37:33 PM »
I got to Zanarkand in FFX.

I can't wait to get the airship.
I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: April 07, 2014, 10:42:36 PM »
Suikoden 3 - Went on a minor recruitment/trading drive in Geddoe Ch. 1. Honestly really getting into the game now (even those glorious Dreamcast release title visuals are growing on me. Except in VDZ/Brass Castle. Fuck Zexen). Also I've quit seeing the tiny dungeons as a detriment after remembering how mazelike they could get in S1/2.

LoM - Actually made progress on figuring out how the battle code works.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 11:01:36 PM by MeshGearFox »
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #619 on: April 07, 2014, 10:44:54 PM »
Final Fantasy X
= Theory: Jecht is actually a modern-day pirate.

= I definitely think a 10-3 of Braska, Jecht, and Auron would be bad ass.  A perfect contrast to 10-2, and the adventures of a wet blanket, a noble summoner, and a sports-pirate practically writes itself.

= If Wakka become the final aeon, and taking in what the final boss looks like.... ...*snicker*. 

= I don't get how Yunalesca's nipples AREN'T showing.  Ah well, she's a wench.

= On that note, I lost to her (yeah, the third phase got me).  The most punishing thing EVER is that there is no (or added on in this new HD version) a boss retry option or cutscene skip.  C'MON, IS IT HARD TO PROGRAM????? IS IT?? WOULD IT HAVE RUINED THE GAME'S BUDGET?

= I actually really like the religious chats in the game, they're pretty relevant in even a non-Spiran context.

= I like a lot of the wonky/fancy camera work in Zanarkand.  Maybe the "recording ghosts" are capturing their moment like it did for the past summoners/guardians?  That's my theory and I'm sticking to it.

= Oh my f%^&@#^ jesus #@&#!>@ christ...  The camera and control mix for the Remiem Temple game...  Controls were bad enough for chocobo racing

= I love thing that Lulu has done this twice before and Wakka is on his second go around. 

= The 'artiste' in me gets emotionally erect when looking at the fayth fused and facing the wall.  How mysterious and wonderful.

= Forget Lightning, Yuna has bigger lady-balls than her, IMO.  She goes from faithful follower, the heretic, traitor, and is all for going against it.

= Trio of 9999 is the coolest fucking Mix ever (for this point of the game).  I love that a small whack from Yuna's useless rod is hitting with the same mad gravity as Jupiter has!

= Blindness IS the most annoying common status affect

= Still...any of y'all think we'll see 10-3?  The radio drama seems to outline a story quite nicely.

Suikoden 3 - Went on a minor recruitment/trading drive in Geddoe Ch. 1. Honestly really getting into the game now (even those glorious Dreamcast release title visuals are growing on me. Except in VDZ/Brass Castle. Fuck Zexen). Also I've quit seeing the tiny dungeons as a detriment after remembering how mazelike they could get in S1/2.

The game is rough, but once you sink your teeth into it, it's a great title to play and probably the 2nd best in the series.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 10:56:48 PM by Dice »
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: April 07, 2014, 11:04:56 PM »
Oh god the Yunalesca fight. Beat her on my first try somehow. That was grueling. Half hour battle. BARELY got through it.

Goddamn was that satisfying though.

I remember having to swap characters out /constantly/.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 11:31:03 PM by MeshGearFox »
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: April 07, 2014, 11:13:20 PM »
My first fight with Yunalesca this playthrough went horribly wrong. I decided to try the Reflect tactic, which worked great on the first two forms, but the third form she managed to reflect a Regen on herself. And stupid me not thinking to just dispel the thing left it on her because it was only healing her for about 500hp per turn and she only had half her hp at that point. Well, the Regen spell is fricking crazy because the next turn it heals her for 5700, and then for about 300, and then for 7100. All of a sudden she's practically at full health again because I hadn't really been paying attention and I slipped up and ate a Mega Death with my Zombified party member dead from some stupid thing.

Second time I just ignored the Zombie effect, kept Yuna with a Zombieproof ring in at all times, and had the other two party members raise her after Mega Death and whoop Yunalesca. Only scary times were when she used Mind Blast.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: April 08, 2014, 01:20:08 AM »
I actually gave in and moved on from FFIV:TAY back to Trails in the Sky. I have a question for those who have played it: How's the difficulty curve? I get the feeling it's going to be one of those RPG's where the monsters get stronger at a much slower pace than your characters.

I'd say you're wrong about that.  I thought the final dungeon was probably the most challenging part of the game.

I'd say that the three toughest spots in the game are the First Tower, the Limestone Cave, and the Final Dungeon. The first dungeon is tough because you really don't have your Orbments maxed out yet, your Quartz isn't enough to anything more than the most basic Arts, you don't have any of the good skills yet, and you've got at least two mission critical NPCs to watch over to boot (although most of it really is the fact that treasure bosses are annoying to deal with at first). The Limestone Cave can be tough if you get to it at your first opportunity as enemies there are sacks of HP and carry a variety of annoying skills and status effects (its not nearly as bad when you're supposed to go there since you'll have a full party complement). And the Final Dungeon is just full of treasure bosses (which are just basic dungeon enemies, but Final Dungeon enemies are roughly as tough as several bosses from the previous chapter), and this is the point where Arts, your Quartz, and even your Recipes aren't really the game changers they used to be (of course this is also the point where the game starts handing out proper healing items like candy, so you're really expected to just snap up end game equipment, level up in the process, and power on through to the end).

= Trio of 9999 is the coolest fucking Mix ever (for this point of the game).  I love that a small whack from Yuna's useless rod is hitting with the same mad gravity as Jupiter has!

That's pretty much the strategy for a No Sphere Grid run. The game is easy enough without those pissant early stat boosts and filler abilities to go through Luca like you'd normally would. And once you get to Luca that's where you start prepping for the NSG run by buying the Stunning Steel sword for Tidus (even if early Slow is only good for bosses). Mi'ihen is where your lack of leveling starts to catch up to you but freshly recruited Auron, Wakka's Blind Pass, and Yuna's summons shouldn't make things too difficult since she has just enough MP to get you from save point to save point. Mushroom Rock isn't that much different either but its where you'll start finding the most important weapons for this stage of the game (getting Wakka's T.K.O. from O'aka is worth whatever you end up paying for it since early Stonetouch is hilarious, especially during Moonflow and jobbing those fucking Ochus; I also netted a Katana with Sleeptouch on it for extra hilarity since Basilisk aren't immune to Sleep).

Of course, I fucked up and failed to get Stunning Steel for Tidus for the Extractor boss fight in the Moonflow. Now I have to rely upon burning through Potions and Hi-Potions until my Overdrives charge up enough to take down the boss and hope I don't fuck up the timing again (I would get Wakka's Attack Reels but you don't get the good goalie until after you cross the Moonflow, and I'd rather start training up my almost all female team of star players once I actually have a full team of females). And after that its 'Rikku Get!' and scrounging up enough resources to Mix whatever you need to beat upcoming bosses until you really start to start spamming Trio of 9999s and either Tidus's Slice & Dice/Blitz Ace, Wakka's Attack Reels, or Lulu's Fury.

Note: I'm not actually going for a NSG run because that's almost as boring as just following your basic routes. I'm just trying to see how far I can get on base stats and equipment alone, before I start dropping lines all over the place.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Blace

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: April 08, 2014, 12:06:39 PM »
I only lost that Yunalesca battle on my first try a couple weeks ago because I accidentally forgot to get rid of the zombie status when I used a mega phoenix to revive other characters and couldn't recover. She's really not that hard if you disregard the the zombie affliction until your characters are almost dead and then get rid of it to heal. Just keep beating her face in. I won the second time with ease.

Dice

• AMG A GIRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: April 08, 2014, 02:38:35 PM »
Like Mesh, I somehow beat her my first time... the irony that my second go at the game it took me longer to beat Chocobo Racing and I died trying at Yunalesca.

....Why does Yuna say "ok" weird.  She says like within half a second.  This happens about ten times too. x)

Anyways, I'm finally gonna tackle Blitzaball soon.  Mongoosey, expect me to bug you about it.

And I have to say again, for a game that's almost fifteen years old, it's aged so damn well graphically.

Also it's great to have the International Ed.  I love how aggressive the Dark Aeon summoners are, it's creepy and a great addition
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 02:54:29 PM by Dice »

RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: April 08, 2014, 03:39:55 PM »
I don't get you all and your Yunalesca issues.
On my second run of FFX, I just zombieproof my trio.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: April 08, 2014, 04:36:23 PM »

If that's really all you did you would lose the second she changed to her third form.

Blace

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: April 08, 2014, 05:07:50 PM »

If that's really all you did you would lose the second she changed to her third form.

I was going to say this lol.

Dice

• AMG A GIRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: April 08, 2014, 05:22:10 PM »

I was going to say this lol.

Pffft, way to go Klutz

RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Holykael1

• What is a man?
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: April 08, 2014, 05:23:49 PM »
Auto life anyone?