Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 08:41:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330183 Posts in 13529 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  A Game Journal Reborn
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 119 Print
Author Topic: A Game Journal Reborn  (Read 46759 times)
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #660 on: April 10, 2014, 09:29:24 PM »

Is Rune Factory 4 worth picking up? I have very little experience with Harvest Moon, though I do enjoy that aspect of simming and such.

Haven't played 4, but I played 3 and that was tons of fun.  I would look forward to coming home and playing it.  I'm definitely playing 4 when I get my 3ds back.

Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #661 on: April 10, 2014, 10:14:56 PM »

Suik 3 - I played for like an hour and accomplished nothing because I stuck a wall rune on the black guy and didn't really understand what it did so I had to run back to Ducktopia to get it surgically removed.

I sort of want Suik 5 now except it's getting expensive too.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #662 on: April 10, 2014, 10:54:36 PM »

Chrono Cross - Got stupid Pierre, which locked me out of Shadow Forest, preventing me from recruiting the thief guy and probably others...and he sucks so bad.

But instead of resetting, I decided to press on to Viper Manor, where I had to fight a really hard boss at the gate despite Pierre saying he'd get me in no problem. -_- Then I snuck my way through the manor grounds...by which I mean I got chased by every manor guard, and fought my way to the barn, where I did a stupid minigame for a way longer than I should've and gained nothing of value from it aside from a key.

Then inside the manor I fell the most obvious trap there is, beat up some guards, stripped them naked and stole their identities.

And I put on desguises, too.

So I was sneaking around in the manor, getting treasure and falling for every trap they had, sorely wishing I had the thief guy so I could go through the locked doors and underground passages, until I got caught by a Doctor...who I might be able to recruit later? I'm not sure. At the very least I unlocked her pet's cage.

I then went to the library, learned the secrets of the Universe from Captain Exposition, and later fought some Lynx Guy...'s shadow. Who nearly kicked my butt.

I really want to restart this game just to do the whole manor section all over again, and NOT recruit Pierre, but I'll save that for another time.

Anyways, a bunch of stuff happened that didn't make sense, Kid got sick, and I spent and hour wandering around accomplishing nothing until I finally figured out how to make that stupid wormhole work. So now I'm back in the home world, headed for the Hydra....Marsh...crap...
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 01:02:23 PM by Mickeymac92 » Logged

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #663 on: April 10, 2014, 11:14:45 PM »

Let me point you to this: http://lparchive.org/Chrono-Cross/Update%2090/

And so we gain our first member of Team Rejected Characters, and one of the very most useless characters in the entire game: Pierre.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #664 on: April 11, 2014, 12:06:30 AM »

sorely wishing I had the thief guy so I could go through the locked doors and underground passages

That... doesn't happen. You either go through Shadow Forest and get Nikki, or you take Guile and I think Korcha drops you off behind the mansion so you can go up the back way. Pierre... gets some key items towards the late game that actually make him useful but I mean the connection to Tata should've made it pretty obvious what you were getting into.

I think you can still get Nikki. Nikki's actually pretty relevant to an entirely-optional-but-pretty-important sidestory so he's probably the best out of the three to take. Guile's apparently one of the better late-game mages though

Also the Hydra Marsh is sort of optional at that point. You don't HAVE to try to save Kid. Saving her gets you Razzly and Korcha but locks you out of getting Glenn. I like Glenn a lot so...

Unrelated note, I've been playing Suikoden 2 a bit in parallel with Suikoden 3 and I'm kind of enjoying Suik 3 more. I will say that everything I've found annoying in Suik 3 exists in Suik 2.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 12:14:31 AM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #665 on: April 11, 2014, 12:31:09 AM »

^ I find it funny that to get the best character (arguably Glenn) you have to be a big asshole to Kidd by not helping her, not saving her, and basically doing your own thang.

I really want to play Suikoden III again.  I might give her a go for nostalgia with gameshark codes or something.  I loved the hell out of Suiko II when I played it, but I doubt I could venture another go....  I got really disheartened from the whole thing when I had basically ALL the stars but found out I missed one a ways, ways back (iirc it was Clive or that gunner girl she's chasing).

On a semi-related note, I love the shit out of the SuikoII/III artist (name slips my mind atm).

I also liked the multi-perspective system Suikoden III had.  Sure it doesn't always mean an exciting time for your less favorite character, but it was unique and gave the players a reaaaal treat for actually getting the 108 recruits.  Also, I love Nash... he's good to look at... But is his hair a real hairdo?  I have a nasty habit of trying to translate whack designs to real life...

the fuck am I on about.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #666 on: April 11, 2014, 12:59:30 AM »

In terms of anime hair, Nash's is pretty tame. It's stylised but not beyond ridiculousness.

I looooooooved Suikoden 3's Trinity Sight system, and it would be really cool if another game did something similar.

Did some poking around - yikes, Suikoden 5 *is* getting expensive. I wonder why? It didn't seem like it had that low a print run. I used to see it for $30 all the time.

Best advice is to grab it before it becomes ridiculous like Suikoden 2.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #667 on: April 11, 2014, 01:03:27 AM »

In terms of anime hair, Nash's is pretty tame. It's stylised but not beyond ridiculousness.

I looooooooved Suikoden 3's Trinity Sight system, and it would be really cool if another game did something similar.

Did some poking around - yikes, Suikoden 5 *is* getting expensive. I wonder why? It didn't seem like it had that low a print run. I used to see it for $30 all the time.

Eugh.  They can have it.  I feel bad, but I couldn't beat that game after the long ass loading times really ruined it for me.

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #668 on: April 11, 2014, 01:10:56 AM »

I know, I know.

It is brutal, but the game itself is so good.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #669 on: April 11, 2014, 02:28:44 AM »

Final Fantasy X

I'm glad that when going in for *just* the reels and crest, Blitzball isn't too terrible with the right team (the Al Bhed can kiss my butt though, and I usually just "cheat" matches with Ronsos in it because they take forever to move around and attempt to break them is basically futile).  As far as I can tell, you just keep resetting the stats to make the Blitzball work for you.

I'm gonna say something soon about how pretty the game is, but before I do that, I just have to make fun of how NPCs look like ONE MORE TIME.  Like seriously... they look like shit thrown into mud and some sadness then had it thrown and rubbed into their face.  I love it.

Not much progress otherwise.  I don't even know why I'm taking it so far for anything other than personal satisfaction, but I don't really have many other titles to keep me company this summer, so why not. :)

I really never appreciate just how wonderfully designed Spira is before.  Truly, I wish the game was 'bigger' just to experience more of it (I guess X-2 will fill that void).  The Aeons are something I *always* fancy the look of every time (though I wish they took Ixion a bit further, maybe every time his hoof touches the ground you see some lightning or something!!!).

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #670 on: April 11, 2014, 08:57:28 AM »

And so we gain our first member of Team Rejected Characters, and one of the very most useless characters in the entire game: Pierre.

But...but...he said he was a hero. ;_;

Also, I should probably mention I've never played Chrono Cross before and have not been reading any guides or anything, so I have some info there that I just guesstimated. Like, I thought Guile was a thief, but I see he's a mage. Still missed out on him, though. Then there's the whole manor thing, which I assumed was a one time deal, but I guess you can go back there later after the Dragoons leave? And yes, I didn't know Pierre sucked, I didn't get any indication whatsoever that he wasn't a useful character until after I got him already...and saved over my file. =(

But whatever, I'll just continue. Thanks for the warning that I can't get Glenn without being a big jerk. I won't fret over that, then. I like Kid.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #671 on: April 11, 2014, 09:56:57 AM »

Glenn was my favorite character like others, but I really felt bad for completely rejecting Kid haha. I haven't played through that game in forever, but your description of the manor section was effective in completely making me want to replay it. That and I was listening to the soundtrack before bed last night... just stellar. One of my all-time favorites.

Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #672 on: April 11, 2014, 11:30:15 AM »

Started Summon Night Twin Age this week, beat it yesterday.

WELL, that certainly was a game.

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
OrsonFury

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #673 on: April 11, 2014, 01:00:41 PM »

FFXIII-2 - Final area of the game, but haven't really had the chance to play with my wife playing Tales of Xillia everyday. Heh!

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - Stuck on a vine level that's driving me nuts... Arg...

Fire Emblem: Awakening - Loving the game so far. I'm taking my time through the game developing my characters for fun. I'm on Chapter 10. This is the first Fire Emblem game that I've spent considerable time on. Did I mention I love tactical/strategy RPGs?

I'm trying decide what 3DS game to pick up next after this one. I may try to download or buy mini-cartridge for older Fire Emblem (2)DS games. Either that or pick up Pokemon X&Y so I can see what all the fuss is about since most of my fellow RPGFan friends I'm ablinked up with are playing those two titles. Seeing as I've only played Bravely Default and Fire Emblem: Awakening for my (still) new 3DS XL any recommendations are welcome. ^_^

Playing: Mario Kart 8 (Wii U).
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #674 on: April 11, 2014, 03:17:05 PM »

FFX: Made it across the Moonebb and nabbed Wakka's Attack Reels since I now have an almost full team of female players (a full team if you count Tidus Meg Ryan). Still no used sphere grid. Now on to Guanoslam and the Thunderdome.

Suki 5 did have a low print run after the bomb that was Suki 4 sounded the death knell for the series. That and the fact that its a JRPG for a dead system have led to its ever inflating price (also retro gaming collections are a thing now and people are more than happy to hoard anything they make think holds value). I really wish this retro gaming bubble would burst one of these days.

As for Suki 3, I also kinda wish other games would do something akin to Trinity Sight and not be as clumsy at it as FFXIII-1 was.

But...but...he said he was a hero. ;_;

Also, I should probably mention I've never played Chrono Cross before and have not been reading any guides or anything, so I have some info there that I just guesstimated. Like, I thought Guile was a thief, but I see he's a mage. Still missed out on him, though. Then there's the whole manor thing, which I assumed was a one time deal, but I guess you can go back there later after the Dragoons leave? And yes, I didn't know Pierre sucked, I didn't get any indication whatsoever that he wasn't a useful character until after I got him already...and saved over my file. =(

But whatever, I'll just continue. Thanks for the warning that I can't get Glenn without being a big jerk. I won't fret over that, then. I like Kid.

IIRC Pierre is the best of the three characters you can get during the Viper Manor break in. Guile gives you a slightly better wand for free earlier than you would've been able to get them and is a fairly good Dark Element user much much later in the game (and is totally Not Magus). Outside of a scene much much later on in the game, Nikki's route has the most loot (but can revisit the area almost any time afterwards anyways so its a moot point) and nothing else. Pierre can become a decent to better than average sword fighter much much later on when he can finally assemble the entire Hero's Set.

No early route choice really matters in the long run though since you'll lose all the associated characters shortly thereafter and you wont see much of any of them till near the end of the game.

It's also why you should refuse Kid at every opportunity until you get either the Chrono Cross or the Mastermune (because that's how long it takes for her to permanently join your party; plus you miss out on Lenna, Macha, and Glenn, whereas you'll get Poshul, Korcha, and Razzy if you acquiesce).

Started Summon Night Twin Age this week, beat it yesterday.

WELL, that certainly was a game.

In its defense though, its easily twice as good as Children of Mana was (which in its defense, was easily twice as good as From the Abyss was (which in its defense, was apparently worth breaking up into quarters and reshovelwareing on fucking DSiWare)).

Fire Emblem: Awakening - Loving the game so far. I'm taking my time through the game developing my characters for fun. I'm on Chapter 10. This is the first Fire Emblem game that I've spent considerable time on. Did I mention I love tactical/strategy RPGs?

I'm trying decide what 3DS game to pick up next after this one. I may try to download or buy mini-cartridge for older Fire Emblem (2)DS games. Either that or pick up Pokemon X&Y so I can see what all the fuss is about since most of my fellow RPGFan friends I'm ablinked up with are playing those two titles. Seeing as I've only played Bravely Default and Fire Emblem: Awakening for my (still) new 3DS XL any recommendations are welcome. ^_^

Unless you live in Japan, I'd look for a translation of the second DS FE game (cuz it never left Japan for some strange reason).

Shadow Dragon's okay, but it did some really weird things like making a half-assed attempt at updating the mechanics from the first game of the series of which this is based on (growth rates and prepromotes are highly unsatisfying in this game due to making almost no adjustments to either to compensate for the universal increase to stat caps), and making every gaiden stage requirement involve mass murdering your own troops (save for one which requires you to fuck up getting a MacGuffin that's strong against the final boss). Also have fun trying to track it down before the Online Shop goes off line for good (along with every other DS Wi-Fi application), not that you'll be missing anything more than some competitive play and a few shop exclusive items (the only one of note being an alternate promotion item for your Pegasus Knights).

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 119 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: