Author Topic: A Game Journal Reborn  (Read 1963189 times)

ultra7k

• View Profile
Re: A Game Journal Reborn
« Reply #675 on: April 11, 2014, 05:41:16 PM »
FFXIII-2 - Final area of the game, but haven't really had the chance to play with my wife playing Tales of Xillia everyday. Heh!

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - Stuck on a vine level that's driving me nuts... Arg...

Fire Emblem: Awakening - Loving the game so far. I'm taking my time through the game developing my characters for fun. I'm on Chapter 10. This is the first Fire Emblem game that I've spent considerable time on. Did I mention I love tactical/strategy RPGs?

I'm trying decide what 3DS game to pick up next after this one. I may try to download or buy mini-cartridge for older Fire Emblem (2)DS games. Either that or pick up Pokemon X&Y so I can see what all the fuss is about since most of my fellow RPGFan friends I'm ablinked up with are playing those two titles. Seeing as I've only played Bravely Default and Fire Emblem: Awakening for my (still) new 3DS XL any recommendations are welcome. ^_^

I just recently picked up a 3DS XL as well, though I did have the Fire Emblem edition 3DS last year, but I've played probably the exact same games you have.

Going to pick up Rune Factory 4 today, have never played any other games in the series but the bit of video I've seen for it makes it seem real smooth and engaging, so maybe look into that one!

Blace

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: April 11, 2014, 06:17:36 PM »
Dodged 200 Lightning Bolts in a row AND beat the Chocobo Race while getting 5 treasure chests today. Man those two trophies were nagging at me forever it seemed. All I have left for trophies is maxing out the sphere grid with every character and beating Nemesis & Penance. I think I might try my hand at Nemesis tonight or tomorrow.

mecharobot

• Trombe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: April 11, 2014, 06:33:29 PM »
This Chrono Cross talk is making me want to undrop the game, for the third time. Too bad such a gorgeous game has to be so random and sluggish to actually play. I still don't think I'm sure what determines the turn orders for example.

I played a good dose of more Symphonia myself. In terms of gameplay this is now pretty much a joke, with the exception of an occasionally overpowered boss which can lay waste on the party if they happen to be positioned poorly, something that I don't seem to have too much control over. I'm usually just hoping I'm lucky and have my attackers pin them down away from Raine. The plot seems to have gotten total bonkers, with very weirdly inserted drama sequences with seemingly no real context or purpose and they're awkwardly presented too, often without any voice acting and I don't think the ost is really this games strong point either. To be honest I'm not really even sure what is going on anymore and my care levels are getting very low. I'm going to try and beat it this weekend. Still need one or two more useless summons to mock me in the skill list for now.

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #678 on: April 11, 2014, 07:15:03 PM »
Dodged 200 Lightning Bolts in a row AND beat the Chocobo Race while getting 5 treasure chests today. Man those two trophies were nagging at me forever it seemed. All I have left for trophies is maxing out the sphere grid with every character and beating Nemesis & Penance. I think I might try my hand at Nemesis tonight or tomorrow.

Eugh... I don't want to do the five chests....  Is it just me or does that Choco at Remiem change speeds randomly?  Once I barely finished with two chests.  I wouldn't know how to win by getting five; it's too close and the controls start to get fucky when the camera turns.

I'm glad you did the bolts though! :)

With regards to Pierre and Kid:

I thought Kid was the "tomboy" character in the *worst* ways, she drove me nuts.  Extremely minimal clothes and speech that may as well belong to a pirate, bleh.  She doesn't do a thing for me.

Pierre annoys me because these Japanese titles have a stupid and bad habit to create these French-talking, blond, fancy-pant, flamboyant characters for no better reason than a cheap laugh. 
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: April 11, 2014, 07:24:58 PM »
On the other hand: miniskirt + midriff

Blace

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: April 11, 2014, 07:25:51 PM »

Eugh... I don't want to do the five chests....  Is it just me or does that Choco at Remiem change speeds randomly?  Once I barely finished with two chests.  I wouldn't know how to win by getting five; it's too close and the controls start to get fucky when the camera turns.

I'm glad you did the bolts though! :)

With regards to Pierre and Kid:

I thought Kid was the "tomboy" character in the *worst* ways, she drove me nuts.  Extremely minimal clothes and speech that may as well belong to a pirate, bleh.  She doesn't do a thing for me.

Pierre annoys me because these Japanese titles have a stupid and bad habit to create these French-talking, blond, fancy-pant, flamboyant characters for no better reason than a cheap laugh.  

That chocobo definitely changes speeds sometimes it is weird. A couple times it finished before i even got the 5th chest and I was like WTF. Getting 5 chests means you literally have to have a perfect run of not running into any walls and then you barely get past it at the very end. Took a ton of tries.

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: April 11, 2014, 07:45:29 PM »
I still don't think I'm sure what determines the turn orders for example.

WRT CC turn order, you can go as any character that has stamina. Monster interrupting is based on the speed of your guy attacking v. speed of monster attacking from what I remember. Also the turns kind of loop around and everyone auto-fills their stamina if you drain everyone's stamina. I think this also happens if you have everyone defend, which causes... the turn to basically roll over, forces the monster to act, and your stamina refills.

It's not actually that complicated I'm just completely incoherent.

wrt classic game hoarding, SHUT UP IT MAKES ME HAPPY >:CCCC. Seriously thought I only by stuff because I want to play it or because I've played it through /other means/ and like it enough to want a real copy.

Also Suik 2's price has always been high -- even before it was retro -- and I think the name association might be driving 5's price up for some reason. Suikoden + hey people seem to like this + REMEMBER THAT TIME SUIKODEN 2 WAS A LOT OF DOLLAR == ???speculation???

Japanese titles have a stupid and bad habit to create these French-talking, blond, fancy-pant, flamboyant characters for no better reason than a cheap laugh. 

s/Japanese titles/LITERALLY EVERYONE.
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Holykael1

• What is a man?
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: April 11, 2014, 08:00:08 PM »
I started Dark Souls: Here is my journal for the first two sessions.

Journal entry nº 1

I had to see what the hype was all about so I decided to start my pilgrimage into the Souls games with the middle entry in the series.
Just started Dark Souls Prepare to die Edition on ps3.
Got past the asylum without too much hassle, went down to blighttown and got brutally raped by some Ghosts(Yes I did use the item to make them vulnerable). Just from the entrance alone I already started to experience how bad the framerate dips, I am literally terrified of coming here again so I decided to explore in another direction. Got to a bonfire in the undead burg, been dieing a lot now but I am slowly making progress. Lost 3000 souls, got pissed off and turned off the game for now.
I am starting to get pro at parrying, the problem is when multiple enemies come at the same time I get stun locked and get brutally murdered to death.

First impressions: Great atmosphere, great world, fantastic opening, really satisfying and deliberate combat, framerate sucks and it's impacting somewhat the experience but it's atleast playable.

I am ready to die and I don't even know what will come next but Im sure it won't be pretty... If this initial 2 hours are anything to go by I will be dieing and dieing and dieing, constantly repeating sections of the game until I reach a bonfire but I will eventually prevail and feel like a badass. This game is extremely tense, Im shaking in fear while playing by how engaging the action is, I feel the pain of my mistakes and deaths. This is Dark Souls and it has already grabbed me.

Will post further impressions as I go..

Journal entry nº2

So yeah finally got through the undead burg's boss which was a pain in the ass but eventually I got the pattern down and killed it.
Currently level 20, 4 hours in, have a claymore as weapon and already got an halberd but I seem to lack the strength to use it.
I cleared part of the undead parish but I was still not able to find a new bonfire, I did however get a shortcut to the burg bonfire. New enemies started appearing, those crusaders.
I have been getting raped for the past 1 hour so I just turned it off before I lost my sanity. This game has a strange addictiveness to it where you die but you want to immediately try again, it's also extremely repetitive in a sense because it sometimes feels like you are just going through the motions until you perfect a certain area..
I've had my fill for the day, played 3 hours and my head is in shambles. I got over losing souls, mostly but I can't stand losing 3-4 points of humanity each time. Checkpoints are a little too unforgiving but whatever I'll charge ahead.

I will proceed at dawn and feast on the hearts of my enemies.

I never screamed profanities while playing a game before but I sure as hell insulted that motherfucking boss left and right after I killed him. I remember screaming things. I begin to question my sanity but I cannot give up.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 08:23:11 PM by Holykael1 »

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #683 on: April 11, 2014, 08:19:09 PM »

Does the fact her face looks like it belongs to a toddler counter either point?  Cuz that hair is something else.

Haha I dunno, even in general I just didn't really find the CC designs really resonated with me.  I thought Serge and (sorta off track here) the Arlian Wood menu frame were the most stylish things, everything else between a pink dog to some sort of moe-bat girl (lit.) kinda weirded me out.
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: April 11, 2014, 08:26:36 PM »
Decided to try out a FF7 difficulty mod. I'm not sure if I'm just terrible or this boss fight (Hundred Gunner in the Shinra Building) is as impossible as it seems.

I have to have Barret, Aeris and Red XIII. 2 of these cannot attack due to range issues. Magic is also immediately countered with a super powerful attack on the entire party that can cause paralasis.

Penguin Boss Demands You Join Our Discord!

CLICK HERE TO BE TAKEN TO THE RPGFAN DISCORD

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: April 11, 2014, 08:58:48 PM »
@ Starmongoose:

My experience with difficulty mods is that a lot of them supplant being interesting with being ridiculous or requiring a lot of grinding.

Like, here's one for the PC version of Grandia 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGUu_MR2dmw

This is ridiculous. You can be hard without making every random battle last ten minutes. Especially when, from what I can tell, the player's just doing a pretty straightforward attack/heal loop in those vids.

Additional difficulty's good when it requires the player to take a more active role in what they're playing, because, well, it's a game. Interaction's the point. But when it's hard just by dragging stuff out, or requiring more thought int your party set-up but not necessarily the actions you take in better, without giving you some kind of other recourse, where's the fun in that?

This is why I'm really hesitant about raising the enemy HP in LoM -- the damage spongeness wasn't any fun in Nightmare mode -- and why I would't have reduced the player movement speed unless it was *strictly* necessary for balanced, based on the number of frames in the enemy attack animations. I want the battle lengths to last about the same, just that the player has to do more things, and a bigger variety of things, during them.

--- edit ---

For what it's worth, there are definitely a couple of FFVII mods out there, since the older PC version is, I guess, fairly well understood. IDK if these apply to the Steam version or not.

Also I have no idea if STeam FFVII is using midi music or if it's using actual PSFs, or MP3s thereof, now. Some Finnish dude-or-possibly-dudelady named Ficedula made a mod for the old one that streams the PSFs, although that had some timing issues.

--- edit 2 ---

OH SWEET JESUS.

--- edit 3 ---

Suik 3 - Hugo Chapter 2 was ridiculously short. I wonder if I missed something. Actually I'm pretty sure I did.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 02:03:21 AM by MeshGearFox »
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: April 11, 2014, 09:01:21 PM »
@Mshgurfax

I have to agree with you. The honest truth is I wanna play this solely for the cool equipment/materia/limit break modifications that come with it. If I could get nerf the bosses a bit I would. :P

Penguin Boss Demands You Join Our Discord!

CLICK HERE TO BE TAKEN TO THE RPGFAN DISCORD

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: April 12, 2014, 07:05:28 AM »

Addendum: Luchador Exorcist.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Yggdrasil

• Loathed by Six Heretics
  • Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: April 12, 2014, 10:49:14 AM »
Lost 3000 souls, got pissed off and turned off the game for now.

*J. Jonah Jameson Laugh*

As someone who has put around 600+ hours into the entire Souls series, this is really funny for me to read.

I mean, losing 3000 souls is nothing. Dying in the Souls series is an integral part of the experience that is also connected in some manner to the lore if you are into that. And yeah it sucks when you lose more than you want to when you are trying to advance, but in most cases there's always a way to advance, just be sure to put attention to your surroundings for any enemy and explore a lot.

All that said, is good to see that despite you are struggling with Dark Souls you are having a good time with it. Keep at it man! :)

Lard

• View Profile
« Reply #689 on: April 12, 2014, 11:09:29 AM »
I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.