Author Topic: A Game Journal Reborn  (Read 1969550 times)

Holykael1

• What is a man?
    • View Profile
Re: A Game Journal Reborn
« Reply #690 on: April 12, 2014, 11:19:45 AM »
@Yggdrasil - I was still very early into the game, those were a lot of souls at the time, it equated to 3 levels, if you read the 2nd log entry I already don't care about losing souls because I realized it's not that big of a deal.

Journal entry nº3

Ok so Im starting to get pro.
There was this freak in the basement of the blacksmith and I killed it, it took me a few tries but I did it, it helped a ton in practicing rolling, I could have disposed of it with a crossbow but that feels like cheating so I didnt.
Killed the Gargoyles in 3 tries, had this lightning element thing that I discovered, put it in my +5 battle axe and disposed of them in a few hits, I had no idea they were vulnerable to lightning, it was a lucky guess. Rang the bell, saved and turned it off for now
I got this badass Helm from the gargoyles and I killed all the special enemies I found so far.
I discovered that rolling is much more important thatn parry and dodge so I am beginning to master that, Im dieing less and each time I die it feels less frustrating and more addictive than ever.  Im completely hooked.
I have been raising strength, endurance and vitality exclusively up until this point.

I don't know how important faith and intelligence are, Im focusing on a melee character so I have been ignoring those stats. However I joined this covenant that sells "miracles" and they require me to level up faith.. is it worth it?
Are these "miracles" even necessary?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 12:39:26 PM by Holykael1 »

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: April 12, 2014, 12:07:08 PM »
I'm trying decide what 3DS game to pick up next after this one. I may try to download or buy mini-cartridge for older Fire Emblem (2)DS games. Either that or pick up Pokemon X&Y so I can see what all the fuss is about since most of my fellow RPGFan friends I'm ablinked up with are playing those two titles. Seeing as I've only played Bravely Default and Fire Emblem: Awakening for my (still) new 3DS XL any recommendations are welcome. ^_^

There's A Link Between Worlds on the 3DS. Get it.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Yggdrasil

• Loathed by Six Heretics
  • Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: April 12, 2014, 12:51:28 PM »
I don't know how important faith and intelligence are, Im focusing on a melee character so I have been ignoring those stats. However I joined this covenant that sells "miracles" and they require me to level up faith.. is it worth it?
Are these "miracles" even necessary?

More or less it depends on your play style. But generally Miracles are something seasoned players tend to use on PvP and Co-op. For PvE Sorcery and Pyromancy is the way most people get around, good equipment also matters, of course.

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: April 12, 2014, 05:20:29 PM »
Today I 'married' Kongou in KanColle.  She's now officially my waifu.

Your waifu needs to be level 99 before you can 'marry' her.  The grind to level 99 is ridiculous.  Those last few levels...I swear that even just going from 98 to 99 takes more XP than getting from like 1 to 80.  Well, 99 used to be the level cap so I guess they didn't want it to be easy to reach, but once you've 'married' a ship-girl they become level 100 and then suddenly at least the first few over-100 levels are super easy again.  It's kind of strange.

(Yes, this whole silly system was really just a way to raise the level cap...)

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: April 12, 2014, 05:36:50 PM »
Polygamy ?

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: April 12, 2014, 06:05:36 PM »
On the other hand: miniskirt + midriff

Addendum: Luchador Exorcist.

Why did Vincent get his own spinoff game and Greco didn't? I'm picturing something like Godhand but with a lot more ghost wrasslin'.

Anyway, further wrt to retro game collecting:

You have scalpers and you have people that actually want the games. Let's be realistic -- if you're talking about stuff from the 32-bit era and earlier, sure, there's emulation, you don't strictly need to go out and buy this stuff to play it. What I'm saying is that, legal issues aside, the inflated prices of Panzer Dragoon Saga or Suikoden 2 aren't really stopping you from /playing/ them.

With more recent systems that's not as much of an option for a variety of reasons. Legal issues aside, legit Dreamcast/PS2/GC/Wii games are desirable just from a playability perspective.

So I think what you get here is a positive feedback loop involving people trying to make a profit and people just wanting to play the game -- profit guys hoard stuff because it might be worth more in the future and they're going to want to make a profit, people wanting to play the games hoard stuff because they don't want to wait and then have to idk spend a hundred dollars for Xenoblade.
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Holykael1

• What is a man?
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: April 12, 2014, 06:11:47 PM »
The act of collecting for collecting sake make me sick..
Games are meant to be played goddamnit. I consider myself a player but I collect as a side effect of the hobby. I like to have physical copies of the games that's all and I also like artbooks and stuff.
Or the buy 10000 games because it's cheap mentality irks me but whatever, each to it's own.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 06:31:02 PM by Holykael1 »

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: April 12, 2014, 06:21:48 PM »
Polygamy ?

Totally possible, but you have to pay.  Your first waifu is free but additional ones cost actual money.  Well, it's a free-to-play game with microtransactions, and frankly it could be a lot worse.  Actually despite the fact that KanColle has become a veritable cultural phenomenon in Japan, in fact it's very playable without spending a single dime and Kadokawa Games (the publisher) hasn't really been making money off of it.  Well the merchandising has begun in force over the last few months and they're probably making money off that.  But anyway, you don't really need ships with levels that high to clear the game's maps (in fact your core stats will probably hit their cap well before that, so higher levels mainly just affects accuracy and evasion) and it's a sufficient pain in the ass to get to level 99 that you're probably not going to have a ton of waifu candidates in the first place.  So yeah, charging for additional waifus doesn't really break the game balance and it's a way for Kadokawa Games to make some money off those hardcore players who just have to have a lot of waifus...

Darilon

• Level 5 Spoony Bard
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: April 12, 2014, 06:22:44 PM »
Yeah those people who collect for collecting sake make me sick..

That seems a bit extreme. It isn't any stranger than collecting stamps or books. I don't collect anything for the sake of collecting myself but wouldn't hate on anyone that does. Although I have a decent sized backlog they are all games I plan to play when I have the time.

Etrian Odyssey Untold

Trying to beat the boss on floor 15. Think I will have to rest Raquna to get Ice Wall to level 5.

Holykael1

• What is a man?
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: April 12, 2014, 06:30:08 PM »
Yeah those people who collect for collecting sake make me sick..

That seems a bit extreme. It isn't any stranger than collecting stamps or books. I don't collect anything for the sake of collecting myself but wouldn't hate on anyone that does. Although I have a decent sized backlog they are all games I plan to play when I have the time.

Etrian Odyssey Untold

Trying to beat the boss on floor 15. Think I will have to rest Raquna to get Ice Wall to level 5.

I should have phrased that better, it does imply that I hate the people involved but I don't. It's like they have an addiction like smoking or drinking alcohol, I dont hate those people either and hey Im not claiming to be perfect but I also have no problem in admitting when Im doing something stupid.
I don't hate people who do it, it's their prerogative, I just think the act of doing it is stupid. It's just a matter of principles for me, games are meant to be played, they are not meant to be solely exposition pieces.
What's the point of having something you have no interest in playing? Idk it's weird, I get your point but at the same time I don't think it applies fully to video games.
There are people out there who are probably interested in playing that game but instead some random hoarder has it in their collection with no intention of touching it.. They can do it sure.. but it doesnt mean that it isn't kind of douchey. And let's not get started with the "I want this because it's rare and valuable" mentality, I don't have a very pretty opinion on that so I think I'll stay quiet. When games start being treated exclusively as objects, valuables and monetary value that's when you are officially on my douche blacklist.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 06:41:51 PM by Holykael1 »

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: April 12, 2014, 06:38:16 PM »
Made it to Chapter 5 in Bravely Default. While the major twist was already spoiled for me by all you folks' "hints" (yes, saying 'you have to do everything over again' isn't exactly subtle) I was pleasantly taken aback by the twist involving Ringabel. Tried to do the first subquest again before doing any grinding and got my butt kicked by the Monk's death throes.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 06:40:14 PM by Klutz64 »

Darilon

• Level 5 Spoony Bard
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: April 12, 2014, 06:46:14 PM »
I don't hate people who do it, it's their prerogative, I just think the act of doing it is stupid.
What's the point of having something you have no interest in playing? Idk it's weird, I get your point but at the same time I don't think it applies fully to video games.
There are people out there who are probably interested in playing that game but instead some random hoarder has it in their collection with no intention of touching it.. They can do it sure.. but it doesnt mean that it isn't kind of douchey.

Some people get their enjoyment from different things. I disagree with it not applying to videogames. I think it actually fits pretty well. Some people might want to collect every GBC game or PS1 rpg. I don't have the cash or interest to do something like that but woudn't fault anyone due to it. Still have memories of collecting pokemon stickers as a kid.

It shouldn't be as much an issue anymore due to the large amount of games new and old available as digital downloads (Huge filesizes aside) I have no issue with people like that. They bought the game, it is theirs. Don't really see how it is douchey.

People who buy games in mass to sell at an inflated price do annoy me but you can't really call them collectors.

Holykael1

• What is a man?
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: April 12, 2014, 06:51:10 PM »
I don't hate people who do it, it's their prerogative, I just think the act of doing it is stupid.
There are people out there who are probably interested in playing that game but instead some random hoarder has it in their collection with no intention of touching it.. They can do it sure.. but it doesnt mean that it isn't kind of douchey.

Some people get their enjoyment from different things. I disagree with it not applying to videogames. I think it actually fits pretty well. Some people might want to collect every GBC game or PS1 rpg. I don't have the cash or interest to do something like that but woudn't fault anyone due to it. Still have memories of collecting pokemon stickers as a kid.

It shouldn't be as much an issue anymore due to the large amount of games new and old available as digital downloads (Huge filesizes aside) I have no issue with people like that. They bought the game, it is theirs. Don't really see how it is douchey.

People who buy games in mass to sell at an inflated price do annoy me but you can't really call them collectors.

But those people usually actually want to play the games, not only collect them.
Full system library collectors/ genre collectors have an attachment to said systems/genre and want to have the whole library at their disposal. Im talking specifically about people who only buy to have it.
But yeah I get your point and maybe Im being too harsh but it's just how I feel about the whole ordeal, I wasnt saying they shouldnt be allowed to do it, I just don't think it's "morally" correct.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 06:53:13 PM by Holykael1 »

Klyde Chroma

• LVL. 99 - Midnight Crusader
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: April 12, 2014, 07:09:57 PM »
For the record I love retro game hunting, playing, buying, selling and (in my case) decorating.

Finding a cool retro game I want to physically own, put on my shelf and relish having in my possession gives rise to an excitement in my heart and gut akin to that which I experienced on christmas eve as a child. It is the only way to I know how to access that feeling.

I never feel bad buying a retro game because its like money in the bank. The re-sale via ebay is quick and nearly certain, albeit sometimes a hassle (e-bay's present day policies make selling agrivating for me).

When it comes to playing retro RPG's I have found each era offers a unique experience. That is, while other genre's have changed as games evolved, I don't feel ANY genre has changed generation to generation so much as the RPG. The 16-bit JRPG experience is a completely different animal than that of the present day JRPG to me. I can easily get my fix in other genres without having to go retro, but when I want Secret of Mana or Suikoden II simply cannot accept any substitutes.

Thats all I have to say about retro games/retro rpgs. In short, my life and gaming world would be far less enthralling without them. Maybe that is sad and pathetic but it is, none the less, how I feel.

This discussion and post made me want to re-animate my retro-gaming-weekend routine... I tried changing it up to a "Non-RPG-Weekend" routine, and it just isn't as satisfying. I don't make enough room for 16-bit goodness without scheduling it damnit!! LoL

In other news.....

Escha and Logy: I'm off to some ruins to investigate some slag activity. Riveting to say the least..... I am considering the wilbell dlc that came out this week but I don't know if I care enough.

Bastion: Sampled it, loved it, never got to it because Ni No Kuni came out and effectively ended my interest in everything else at the time. Well I decided to finally get back to it this weekend instead of going for the DmC Virgil DLC. This game is all sorts of good. The narration is stellar.

@ Mesh.... your really making jealous with your Suiko 3 playthrough. I remember really loving Chris and Geddoe when I played it many moons ago.

EDIT: there were like, 7 posts while I typed this. Sorry if anything I posted now is out of context as a result.
I am more a battlefield than a Ninja.

mecharobot

• Trombe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: April 12, 2014, 07:55:30 PM »
I'm not really much of a game collector myself, but I do sometimes feel tempted to get stuff just because they're so beautiful. Like this week I saw King's Bounty for amiga, complete with the box and all on a flea market I visited. They're like antiques. Well, if I happen to get any employment with actual salary again and more shelf space, I could very well consider picking some of this stuff up. Once a friend of mine sold his entire NES collection on some shitty online auction for 50e. I said I'd have paid 4 times the amount if he only mentioned it to me. Some folks have no idea that people are actually prepared to pay money for this stuff.