Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 01, 2014, 06:47:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327985 Posts in 13431 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  A Game Journal Reborn
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 105 Print
Author Topic: A Game Journal Reborn  (Read 35521 times)
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #765 on: April 19, 2014, 03:34:36 AM »

To kick it off I was torn. I have wanted to play-through both Terranigma and Romancing Saga 3 for years. I think I am going to move into Terranigma first because I am really feeling something a wee-bit more action oriented.

Terranigma is a great choice if you are in need of a break. Good game and not too long (15 hours or so). There are some bosses that require some grinding (or a bucket full of magic rings), but that's the worst of it. Oh yeah, enjoy the awesome music! :D

I've been playing Magical Starsign. Collecting the five elemental gummy thingies and random encounters are starting to get to me, but this game has so much personality I just have to finish it. I hope my 3DS agrees and cooperates. The home button is becomming fuzzy and sometimes it takes 10+ attempts to get back to the home screen...
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #766 on: April 19, 2014, 07:16:23 AM »

I was kind of shocked to be reminded while playing Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD that there actually *were* allusions in the original to the Keyblade War, the Worlds' origin, and even Xehanort's betrayal (sort of). I do think a lot of plot elements from the rest of the games still kind of made a lot of the first game irrelevant, but I had forgotten that those three big ones do kind of fit with the original.

I think I remember what the allusions to the Keyblade War and the Worlds's origin were, but I'm drawing a blank on Xehanort's betrayal.
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #767 on: April 19, 2014, 10:16:36 AM »

I was kind of shocked to be reminded while playing Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD that there actually *were* allusions in the original to the Keyblade War, the Worlds' origin, and even Xehanort's betrayal (sort of). I do think a lot of plot elements from the rest of the games still kind of made a lot of the first game irrelevant, but I had forgotten that those three big ones do kind of fit with the original.

I think I remember what the allusions to the Keyblade War and the Worlds's origin were, but I'm drawing a blank on Xehanort's betrayal.

There was abit in Ansem's Report when he met Mickey that the Keyblade was used by one to bring peace to the Worlds and by another to bring ruin, or something like that... it's a bit of a stretch but it sort of works.

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #768 on: April 19, 2014, 11:53:29 AM »

@Dark Souls

Rang the 2nd bell and started Sen's Fortress.

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #769 on: April 19, 2014, 03:34:56 PM »

SMT - After getting some really good equipment, demons, and experience, getting through the Police Station was a walk in the park. And now I can get a few more demons, so yay more fusing! Oh yeah, and I should probably finish exploring Ginza and figure out where to go next, too.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #770 on: April 19, 2014, 06:22:53 PM »

Terranigma is a great choice if you are in need of a break. Good game and not too long (15 hours or so). There are some bosses that require some grinding (or a bucket full of magic rings), but that's the worst of it. Oh yeah, enjoy the awesome music! :D

I did decide to go with Terranigma for my weekend-retro title. And I must say.... I FREAKIN' LOVE IT! Proving to me once again, that it isn't purely the nostalgia factor that makes SNES era Rpgs/ARpgs so enjoyable for me. I never once laid eyes on Terranigma during my childhood. This is my first experience with it.

I really appreciate how much the first hour of the game reminds me of the movie Legend.

Gameplay feels extremely solid for a game of its era. Certainly trumps the Mana games, which have not aged so well in terms of gameplay and controls, even though they are probably my favorites from the generation.

I was sort of fearful this was going to feel rough because I was playing Bastion on the Xbox earlier this week but that just is not the case. Gaming really hit a prime or pinnacle in the 16-bit days. As simplistic as the games were, and for as limited as the devs were at that time by hardware, some of these titles just feel great to play to this day. Plain and simple.

Maybe I'm being overtly optimistic here, but I feel like Terranigma may prove as enjoyable to me as some of all time retro-golden-age-favorites.

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
mecharobot

Thunder of the dogs! INDIGNATION

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #771 on: April 19, 2014, 06:59:11 PM »

I finally beat Tales of Symphonia, now making it the 2nd Tales game I've played. Overall, I'd say this game is almost great, technically having a story with big scope, decently spread out optional content, gameplay functional characters with none being useless... but it's way too shoddy in execution. I might play Dawn of the New World somewhere towards the end of the year, but for now I think I've had enough Tales. I guess I'll go back to finishing SRW OG and maybe start something else. I was thinking a playthrough of Diablo II + LoD or maybe Fallout 3, but we'll see. It might also be time for a VN, either a real one (Demonbane?) or Ace Attorney 3. I'm not sure why I burnt out on AA last year and wasn't able to finish it then. One thing is for sure is that I'm not going to play another lenghty basic JRPG anyday soon.
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #772 on: April 19, 2014, 07:02:05 PM »

I finally beat Tales of Symphonia, now making it the 2nd Tales game I've played. Overall, I'd say this game is almost great, technically having a story with big scope, decently spread out optional content, gameplay functional characters with none being useless... but it's way too shoddy in execution. I might play Dawn of the New World somewhere towards the end of the year, but for now I think I've had enough Tales. I guess I'll go back to finishing SRW OG and maybe start something else. I was thinking a playthrough of Diablo II + LoD or maybe Fallout 3, but we'll see. It might also be time for a VN, either a real one (Demonbane?) or Ace Attorney 3. I'm not sure why I burnt out on AA last year and wasn't able to finish it then. One thing is for sure is that I'm not going to play another lenghty basic JRPG anyday soon.

Play ace attorney 3. Best game in the series, one of the best games ever made imo.

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #773 on: April 19, 2014, 07:52:38 PM »

I'm still chomping at the bit for Terranigma, Soul Blazers, and Illusion of Gaia to come to VC. I played a couple hours of each on emulators, and they were fantastic. If they don't come eventually, I may have to give in a buy an SNES...or beat them on emu...either one would be a huge accomplishment for me...

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #774 on: April 19, 2014, 09:04:59 PM »

I finally got past the stupid boss and got to the final land in EO4.

Also got a whole whack of missions done in Saboteur.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #775 on: April 19, 2014, 10:23:47 PM »

Holy shit I just reached Anor Londo. My head exploded from the awesome.. @Dark Souls

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #776 on: April 19, 2014, 11:01:13 PM »

I'm still chomping at the bit for Terranigma, Soul Blazers, and Illusion of Gaia to come to VC. I played a couple hours of each on emulators, and they were fantastic. If they don't come eventually, I may have to give in a buy an SNES...or beat them on emu...either one would be a huge accomplishment for me...

I was too young for Soulblazer (I liked what my brother played), but Illusion of Gaia is a complete trip (in a good way) and Terranigma left me jaw-dropped plot-wise for an SNES game.  So much cool shit happens.

I finally beat Tales of Symphonia, now making it the 2nd Tales game I've played. Overall, I'd say this game is almost great, technically having a story with big scope, decently spread out optional content, gameplay functional characters with none being useless... but it's way too shoddy in execution. I might play Dawn of the New World somewhere towards the end of the year, but for now I think I've had enough Tales.

Symphonia hasn't aged all too well and DotNW is pretty shitty (however, maybe you'll be the outlier who happens to love it; there's 5% who will defend it to death).  I highly recommend a newer title.  Or Abyss for plot and Graces for the battle system, or Vesperia for good on both.

Ace Attorney is great, but I think the PW titles work well as on the side titles (better in smaller doses) since they're somewhat samey.  The third game is brilliant though, but all are pretty good to begin with.

I did decide to go with Terranigma for my weekend-retro title. And I must say.... I FREAKIN' LOVE IT! Proving to me once again, that it isn't purely the nostalgia factor that makes SNES era Rpgs/ARpgs so enjoyable for me. I never once laid eyes on Terranigma during my childhood. This is my first experience with it.

I really appreciate how much the first hour of the game reminds me of the movie Legend.

Gameplay feels extremely solid for a game of its era. Certainly trumps the Mana games, which have not aged so well in terms of gameplay and controls, even though they are probably my favorites from the generation.

I was sort of fearful this was going to feel rough because I was playing Bastion on the Xbox earlier this week but that just is not the case. Gaming really hit a prime or pinnacle in the 16-bit days. As simplistic as the games were, and for as limited as the devs were at that time by hardware, some of these titles just feel great to play to this day. Plain and simple.

Maybe I'm being overtly optimistic here, but I feel like Terranigma may prove as enjoyable to me as some of all time retro-golden-age-favorites.

I've said it before, but I think you and I have similar taste.  I'm glad you're enjoying Terranigma.  I remember the Summer I played it, I couldn't stop (oh, beware the sewer...hated that place).

Bravely Default

Yay.  Going well.  I stopped grinding since my party is at level 90 and I didn't want to be stuck gaining experience the next 3 chapters after hitting Level 99.

I really appreciate the Anarchist and Spirit Master classes now.  Anarchist especially is brilliant for bosses that Default a lot.

I appreciate the story changes when they happen... they're interesting enough I guess.  But I feel bad for Japan who played the "beta" version without the option to turn off encounters....cuz shit, that must have sucked.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #777 on: April 19, 2014, 11:07:54 PM »

I'm slowly slugging through Symphonia myself and my biggest issue is that it doesn't really feel like a Tales.
It's hard to voice the feeling exactly. It's like halfway between old Tales and new Tales, which feels like no Tales.
It's like some kind of 'uncanny tales valley'.

I'll wait till I finish it to share more about it.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #778 on: April 19, 2014, 11:37:49 PM »

I'm slowly slugging through Symphonia myself and my biggest issue is that it doesn't really feel like a Tales.
It's hard to voice the feeling exactly. It's like halfway between old Tales and new Tales, which feels like no Tales.
It's like some kind of 'uncanny tales valley'.

Naruhodo...

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #779 on: April 19, 2014, 11:45:36 PM »

So Little Lady decided to "help me level up" in SMT IV...why do I have a feeling I just lost the 3DS...thank God she finished Persona Golden, maybe I can play the Vita...

Everything's Eventual
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 105 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: