Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 22, 2014, 12:01:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341268 Posts in 13945 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Game Journals
| | |-+  A Game Journal Reborn
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 182 Print
Author Topic: A Game Journal Reborn  (Read 83862 times)
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #780 on: April 20, 2014, 01:23:47 AM »

I found TotA to be a deeply unpleasant experience and I can't think of a single damn thing I actually enjoyed about it.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Monsoon
Electric Mayhem
Contributing Editor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #781 on: April 20, 2014, 01:36:12 AM »

Played first four or five chapters of Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance.  I've beaten FE's 4, 6, 7, and 8.  The plan is to finish PoR (#9) now and play Awakening (#...13?) when I get a 3DS later this year.  Probably.  Anyhow, Ike gained in four or five stats for all of his levels, which is totally insane.  Oscar and Boyd are... okay.  Not sure if they're worth it; they didn't get great levels in the first two chapters. Titania is a Jeigan, so I won't be using her for awhile, natch.  Gatrie and Shinon seem okay, but they're at a high level so I'll try not to overuse them.  Soren seems really solid.  Will be using him. 

(I love when you're early in a Fire Emblem game and you're getting new units every chapter. Lots of in-in-out-out-in going on.)

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #782 on: April 20, 2014, 03:03:28 AM »

Yeah, Ike's just ridiculous, even for Path of Radiance's standards (which is almost as green arrow crazy as FE8 was), and he'll probably end the game with three or four stats fully capped if you don't neglect him or are just that unlucky. Also Titania is of the Olfey sub-archetype rather than the standard Jagen one, especially in FE9 which rivals FE4 in terms of favoring mounted units over standard infantry (she won't be as amazing as FE8's Seth was but her high default rank in Axes and decent bases makes up for her lackluster Strength growth). As for the other guys you have right now, Oscar is one of the most amazing units in the game if you decide to have him support either Ike and/or another character that comes down the line (as Earth/Earth supports gain a whopping +30 avoid at A rank to both participants; also supports in this game have the second best implementation in the series, so its merely a matter of whether you want to use most of them or not). Boyd kinda sucks since he's a one trick pony (high Str + Axes = overkill MT; versus mediocre Spd and garbage Def, Res) and is one of the few characters in the game to not come with a default skill.

Bravely Default

Yay.  Going well.  I stopped grinding since my party is at level 90 and I didn't want to be stuck gaining experience the next 3 chapters after hitting Level 99.

I really appreciate the Anarchist and Spirit Master classes now.  Anarchist especially is brilliant for bosses that Default a lot.

I appreciate the story changes when they happen... they're interesting enough I guess.  But I feel bad for Japan who played the "beta" version without the option to turn off encounters....cuz shit, that must have sucked.

Wait. Is Anarchist a super sekret job or something because I certainly don't recall any Anarchist jobs before Chapter 8?

That said, I seem to have suddenly developed a new found love for the Arcanist job (I already knew about the Spirit Master's awesomeness beforehand).

As for current gaming, again, fuck Teh 3rd B-day. Chapter 2 is really fucking annoying to clear with every feat cleared since there's no goddamn save point between parts 1 and 2 (which is one of the very few times this happens), both of which have pain-in-the-ass feats to clear that basically require their own specific loadouts to deal with. One has you deal with a very tough enemy in under a minute (which is piss for time given all the hip swaying, sexualized staggerin', clumsy ammo reloading animations all over the place), and two others requiring the downing a mini-boss in under 5 minutes without using your most efficient tool for dealing with pretty much everything (i.e. hope you brought the biggest, baddest guns available, maxed out, and a shitload of sheer dumb luck in the face of the RNG as you are at the game's complete mercy on this one).

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #783 on: April 20, 2014, 06:25:35 AM »

I was kind of shocked to be reminded while playing Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD that there actually *were* allusions in the original to the Keyblade War, the Worlds' origin, and even Xehanort's betrayal (sort of). I do think a lot of plot elements from the rest of the games still kind of made a lot of the first game irrelevant, but I had forgotten that those three big ones do kind of fit with the original.

I think I remember what the allusions to the Keyblade War and the Worlds's origin were, but I'm drawing a blank on Xehanort's betrayal.

There was abit in Ansem's Report when he met Mickey that the Keyblade was used by one to bring peace to the Worlds and by another to bring ruin, or something like that... it's a bit of a stretch but it sort of works.
Huh I just took that as a reference to the Keyblade War, although I guess it does make sense for Mickey to be talking about Xehanort considering retcons.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #784 on: April 20, 2014, 06:40:17 AM »

(For me Symphonia was the most Tales-like Tales I ever played. It had a lot of elements from Phantasia and Eternia, while at the same time providing the foundation for most of the later games.

Oh, and Abyss is the most Terranigma-like Tales and Vesperia the most Lunar-like Tales, because I like to see connections that aren't there.)

Magical Starsign - I think I'm close to the final planet now. Charming (and surprisingly dark) game but I'll be glad when the credits roll. Those turn-based battles are just too old-school for me right now.
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #785 on: April 20, 2014, 09:05:41 AM »

Friend lent me Resonance of Fate and the Zone of the Enders HD collection.

Resonance of Fate kind of confuses me. I get the basics of the battle system but am completely out of my depth on the more advanced parts. My strategy so far has just been to use the machine gun first and follow it up with the handguns.

Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #786 on: April 20, 2014, 09:11:16 AM »

Needed a break from the grinding in Chapter 5 of Bravely Default, so I popped in Disgaea DS again (Yes, I know. Irony blah blah blah). I managed to get passed the third mission finally, and then promptly got slaughtered in the fourth mission. I really don't understand this needlessly complicated game. Though all the various systems to follow isn't nearly as confusing as trying to take advantage of the fact that only kills gain characters experience. Is that the same throughout the series? 'Cause I also have Disgaea 3, 4 and D2.

Anyway, I decided to play Devil Survivor instead.
mecharobot

Thunder of the dogs! INDIGNATION

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #787 on: April 20, 2014, 10:45:49 AM »

Resonance of Fate kind of confuses me. I get the basics of the battle system but am completely out of my depth on the more advanced parts. My strategy so far has just been to use the machine gun first and follow it up with the handguns.

That is pretty much the core strategy. You can try using some explosives and special ammo, which can be surprisingly effective, but most of the time you can get by with guns only. Just keep an eye on your bezels (or whatever they are called), especially early on. Also I'd suggest not using Auto-Trigger accesories in case you are, because you're going to have to throw it away at some point for better stuff, like status guards because status effects will kill you in this game. It's just not good getting used to it.
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #788 on: April 20, 2014, 11:07:15 AM »

Best advice for Resonance of Fate is to abuse the hell out of that run & gun ability, and DON'T FORGET YOU CAN JUMP DURING IT. Seriously, as soon as I figured that bit out battles got A) A lot easier, and B) A lot more spectacular.
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #789 on: April 20, 2014, 01:05:43 PM »

Friend lent me Resonance of Fate and the Zone of the Enders HD collection.

Going on what Klutz said: If you're going in a straight line (no obstacles to jump over), save that jump for the VERY END of your run to extend the charge duration.

it's not an easy game to get used to, but, IMO, it's a great and unique experience.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #790 on: April 20, 2014, 04:31:54 PM »

Played first four or five chapters of Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance.

*ALMOST* picked up a copy of this yesterday because it was complete and all of 30 bucks, but I've never been able to stomach the perma-death :T

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #791 on: April 20, 2014, 04:53:04 PM »

Been playing Soul Blazer because all the cool kids are talking about it. I powered through the first 3 areas now. I guess I'm almost halfway through now? Anyways, hoping I'll get thist done before wednesday.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #792 on: April 20, 2014, 11:12:31 PM »

Played first four or five chapters of Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance.

*ALMOST* picked up a copy of this yesterday because it was complete and all of 30 bucks, but I've never been able to stomach the perma-death :T

To be honest, 30 bux for FE9 is a goddamn steal at this point.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Monsoon
Electric Mayhem
Contributing Editor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #793 on: April 20, 2014, 11:53:56 PM »

Struggling in Chapter 10 of FE9.  I'm trying to complete the mission via stealth, because I assume it gives you some sweet bonus items, but it isn't working.  Thinking I'll either check a guide or just give up.  Ike is still ridiculous, Soren is really good, and Titania seems closer to a Seth than a Marcus.  Oscar and Boyd both seem to have potential, but neithe rof them have had great growths to start out.  Dunno if I like Mia or Ilyana much at all.  No idea if Mist or Rolf are worth it, but I put a few levels into each of them just in case.  Also not sure what to make of these cat characters, but Lethe seems to be working out okay so far. 

...I miss Fire Emblem.  I had great times with the others I've played. 

CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #794 on: April 21, 2014, 12:52:18 AM »

Been feeling like playing adventure games so I did some PC gaming today and finished A New Beginning.  When I bought it, it was on sale in a bundle and always thought it was just some environmentalism game.  Boy was I wrong.  It had sci-fi, action, sabotage, and murder.  It is  pretty lengthy game, but it was so engrossing to me it didn't drag.  Well other than when I got stuck.  All in all, I would recommend it.  It goes on sale often.

Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 182 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: