Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 26, 2014, 04:41:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334853 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  A Game Journal Reborn
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 153 Print
Author Topic: A Game Journal Reborn  (Read 64021 times)
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #795 on: April 21, 2014, 09:11:42 AM »

Between playing Saboteur and the HD version of Medal of Honour Frontline, I'm ready for a new WWII game.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #796 on: April 21, 2014, 10:24:01 AM »

Resonance of Fate

Thanks for all the tips. Didn't realise how useful Hero Charge was. It costs a Bezel to use so I made the mistake in thinking it wasn't that useful until you got more bezels to mess around with. Totally wrong.

I like the story so far. It really seems like the game was based off a bounty hunter slice of life anime with each chapter being an episode. The world itself is great. Hope they explain more about it.

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #797 on: April 21, 2014, 11:51:30 AM »

Struggling in Chapter 10 of FE9.  I'm trying to complete the mission via stealth, because I assume it gives you some sweet bonus items, but it isn't working.  Thinking I'll either check a guide or just give up.  Ike is still ridiculous, Soren is really good, and Titania seems closer to a Seth than a Marcus.  Oscar and Boyd both seem to have potential, but neithe rof them have had great growths to start out.  Dunno if I like Mia or Ilyana much at all.  No idea if Mist or Rolf are worth it, but I put a few levels into each of them just in case.  Also not sure what to make of these cat characters, but Lethe seems to be working out okay so far. 

...I miss Fire Emblem.  I had great times with the others I've played. 

The prize for stealthing Chapter 10 is a shitload of BExp, so if it sounds like its too much of a pain in the ass, you can potentially skip it.

To actually pull off the stealth, you'll need to bench everyone but Ike, Oscar (you must bring Oscar), and either Titania or Marcia. Enemies can only detect you if they are within attacking range of you and the same can go for NPCs you've freed but haven't rescued or recruited yet. Enemies also move at a very clockwork like rate, so its all a matter of timing. And while you can't do anything about the wandering mooks, the boss is fair game (and I'm not too sure about this, but I think his two immediate mooks are also fair game; you'll have to double-check a guide to verify). You can even help yourself to at least one chest in the side area (and I'd definitely recommend checking a guide beforehand on that).

As for where you are right now, characterwise. Rhys is an excellent heal bot and the only one in the game capable of using Light Magic, but Mist has a very important role to play down the line and Light Magic is vendor trash in this game (the tomes are way too heavy and Rhys will always have garbage tier Str), he will have ridiculous Mag and Res and solid Spd (which won't matter if you bother with Light Magic at all). Soren is probably the best Mage in the game (although that's not saying much) since he starts as a Mage, has excellent availability, comes with a free Adept, has good Mag and Spd, and a good support bonus (also there's bullshit in FE10 that involves him getting an A ranked support with Ike in this game; although Ike's also one of only two people he can actually support to begin with, so that's a consideration as well), that said, his Str is garbage and can make or break his early performance and Wind magic is almost as bad as Light Magic (since its piss weak). Mia is ehh, her Str growth is mediocre (and her Def is crap) and she has to contend with the hot garbage that is Female Swordmaster caps, but still she's usable though thanks to free Vantage (provided you feel that she's worth the Forges necessary to compensate for her lackluster Str and if she should be the one to get the Resolve scroll, which doesn't show up until near the end of the game), has the best availability out of all the Swordmasters and is the second easiest to recruit (which will be a thing). Ilyana is kinda mediocre for a Mage (which makes her doubly mediocre) but she does start with Thunder magic (which is the closest to being the best Magic type in the game) though Shade is the worst default skill out of the three prepromote Mages and even though she has good Str growth her Spd is mediocre at best. Marcia has a slow start but can potentially be one of the best units in the game due to being a Pegasus Knight (i.e. Mounted and Flying) and having solid growths all around (if she's lucky). Mist is probably going to be your other healer outside of Rhys and any Mage you have promoted, and while her Mag isn't nearly as good as Rhys's she gets decent Str to compensate, more importantly she gets access to Swords and a Horse upon promotion and she's one of two people who can actually make good use of the Sonic/Rune Swords that show up later in the game, she also has an important mission much later in the game and being promoted for it will help a ton. Rolf is crap, outside of helping out in Chapter 12 and recruiting another guy in Chapter 18 (who really isn't worth the trouble of recruiting), he'll be strictly inferior to your next Bow user and both a pain in the ass and a resource hog to make usable, the only thing he really brings to the table is a Triangle Attack with his brothers (but that requires actually using Rolf and hamstringing Oscar into using Bows instead of Axes). Lethe and Mordecai are Laguz, I wasn't too fond of how Laguz worked for players in this game and these two bring the least to the table, at least Mordecai can Smite which will be useful for a couple of Chapters and Lethe is probably the better Laguz to take into the Desert level for reasons. Volke is awesome, use him regularly and you wont regret it, he's effectively your only Thief in the game and the stealable loot in this game is MAD (Physic staffs for EVERYBODY), just make sure he hits level 20 by Chapter 18 and you'll be golden.

Hopefully this isn't too wall o' text.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #798 on: April 22, 2014, 10:06:48 PM »

Suikoden 3 - Finished Geddoe's chapter 2. Started on Thomas Ch. 1. I WANT TO SNUGGLE MUTO :<<<<<

Also Cecile is a girl?

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #799 on: April 22, 2014, 10:10:11 PM »

Suikoden 3 - Finished Geddoe's chapter 2. Started on Thomas Ch. 1. I WANT TO SNUGGLE MUTO :<<<<<

Also Cecile is a girl?

Poor pooch... The scar makes my heart sink just a bit... :(

And yes she is....after questioning it myself a while.

Thomas is a hobbit.

And I love the Butler the most.  Both of them.

The motley crew in general make Thomas' chapter pretty amusing enough as far as 'side content' goes.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #800 on: April 22, 2014, 10:23:49 PM »

KanColle server maintenance has begun.

Once it's finished, it's new event time!  There hasn't been an event in a while.  Let's see if I'm high enough level now to kick this thing's butt.

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #801 on: April 22, 2014, 10:40:59 PM »

Thomas is a hobbit.

I noticed he started having a seizure and shooting out electricity during a combo attack so my current headcanon is that he's also a robot until proven otherwise.

idk Thomas' chapter so far feels like it's pretty heavy in the /coziness/ I've been getting from the game. And I like that.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 11:56:49 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #802 on: April 22, 2014, 11:18:28 PM »

Woo! Finally made it to 1,000,000pg in Bravely Default. Now I finally feel comfortable with buying and using a Growth Egg to help with the grinding.
Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #803 on: April 22, 2014, 11:26:46 PM »

Also Cecile is a girl?

Ah, didn't see you are playing this. Have fun with Suikoden III! I played this game to 100% completion and loved every second of it. I enjoyed three a bit more than Suikoden IV, but not by too much.

Playing through Wild Arms IV, and boy, whenever they bring in those moving cutscenes (opposed to still image dialog boxes), they really know how to put tears in my eyes...that is, make me laugh uncontrollably. For those who played the game: take in Jude's riding a biking stupid fast and making ridiculous faces while he tries to catch up to a train. It's a beautiful thing.

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #804 on: April 23, 2014, 03:39:47 AM »

Thomas is a hobbit.

I noticed he started having a seizure and shooting out electricity during a combo attack so my current headcanon is that he's also a robot until proven otherwise.

idk Thomas' chapter so far feels like it's pretty heavy in the /coziness/ I've been getting from the game. And I like that.

Yeah, Cecile is a girl, but I'm confused about what gender Rico is.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Elegance

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #805 on: April 23, 2014, 01:18:08 PM »

Really enjoying Conception II at the moment.  Yeah it's a grind, but quite an addictive one.  Also the voice acting is the exactly the same quality as every other Atlus localization so I don't know what caused such a fuss.

Also started Batman Arkham Asylum and am really impressed.  It feels like an actual game.

Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #806 on: April 23, 2014, 01:20:43 PM »

A friend asked about it so I've been playing Resonance of Fate, too.  It is painful to watch a new player struggle through combat, either they are making poor decisions or they don't fully understand what makes shards come back.  You appear to be clairvoyant when you say "oop, now you're screwed" when they have only 1 bezel and start a hero action with Zephyr (scratch dmg SMG) and start flipping and cartwheeling all over.

I've been legitimately playing my own Grand Sun RYEZ for PS Mobile in an attempt to stoke the flames of leaderboard competition.  Before the update items would have stats like +25 HP, but now even +4 is rare, so older players have a ridiculous advantage.  

Time to farm Fafnir in Ragnarok Odyssey ACE for slimy hides now.  Bone katar > Halomonas so far.

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #807 on: April 23, 2014, 01:30:48 PM »

Really enjoying Conception II at the moment.  Yeah it's a grind, but quite an addictive one.  Also the voice acting is the exactly the same quality as every other Atlus localization so I don't know what caused such a fuss.

Also started Batman Arkham Asylum and am really impressed.  It feels like an actual game.

Digital Devil Saga and Final Fantasy X got me in that "addictive grind", I don't really understand how it happens....but by god do I eat it up.

I don't understand the Batman remark.  I guess I'm glad? Because it should? xD

A friend asked about it so I've been playing Resonance of Fate, too.  It is painful to watch a new player struggle through combat, either they are making poor decisions or they don't fully understand what makes shards come back.  You appear to be clairvoyant when you say "oop, now you're screwed" when they have only 1 bezel and start a hero action with Zephyr (scratch dmg SMG) and start flipping and cartwheeling all over.

It's definitely NOT a title that comes easily.  Hell, even by the end I had some hack-made gun and hoping I could pull off whatever awesome moves, and by the end I'd still only win a battle by the very last move my party could survive.  I'm happy that most people who DO play it and DO get over that initial difficulty really get to enjoy it.

Code:
I also think in terms of Top 50 Coolest Game moments, Vashyron solo-ing it versus am armed helicopter would rank up there

I remember really digging the OST.  The non-battle music was super pleasant, and while I wasn't keen on the actual in-battle music (save a few select tracks), I loved how they were distinguished by each area you fought... that's a labour of love right there.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Elegance

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #808 on: April 23, 2014, 01:53:37 PM »

I don't understand the Batman remark.  I guess I'm glad? Because it should? xD

I find most mainstream games this past generation to focus on a "cinematic" approach and pump all the money into presentation rather than gameplay; so it's nice to see a game with a good number of mechanics, places to explore, things to collect, and is a joy to play.  That's also the reason I enjoyed the new Tomb Raider much more than Uncharted.
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #809 on: April 23, 2014, 02:04:11 PM »

Really haven't been able to do much after my marathon of FFX. School is ramping up because it is getting to the end of the semester so I have a ton of papers to write and chapters to read and study for final exams. I'm at the end of Infamous Second Son I think.
Code:
Reggie just got killed and Delsin wants to invade the huge building to find stone lady and seek revenge
Once I finish this playthough, I'm intrigued enough to do an evil playthrough and see the differences... especially since this one is fairly short. I have no time to play games and I'm almost finished for crying out loud.

Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 153 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: