Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 19, 2014, 05:11:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
340916 Posts in 13933 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Game Journals
| | |-+  A Game Journal Reborn
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 181 Print
Author Topic: A Game Journal Reborn  (Read 81735 times)
solidbatman
Zetsubou Sensei

The real me exists on the internet!

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #825 on: April 24, 2014, 06:14:16 PM »

Just wrapped up a 24 hour stream of Rewrite (its a fantastic VN). Somewhere around 3-4am, my alertness was fading, but luckily, the writers had a trick up their sleeve.

I give to you... YO-SHI-NO, easily the funniest moment of the VN to that point. I was crying with laughter through the entire scene   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNQTQlflYA8

Draak

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #826 on: April 24, 2014, 10:15:16 PM »

A friend of mine gifted my Skyrim because "you really need to check out a mod called Requiem". Uhm, alright.

First thing I did was look for a camera mod because I can't into first person games. Gods, there's a mod for everything you can think of, I even found a lock-on one (which is pretty good, btw). Installed Alternate Start, which put me in some snowy region full of hoarkers (or whatever they are called) and saber-tooth cats. Later I got my ass kicked by a pack of wolves before submitting them to hell with some well placed shield bashes.

So far it's been surprisingly fun, since the mod descales the whole world. The combat isn't on the same level as Dark Souls/MH (Gamederp Gamebryo of course) but it's serviceable with the aforementioned lock-on mod.
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #827 on: April 25, 2014, 01:01:02 AM »

Skipping between Skyrim, Diablo 3 and Rust lately. I might re-sub to FFXIV this weekend.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #828 on: April 25, 2014, 06:29:50 AM »

If you really start liking things, I recommend talking to NPCs, they'll flesh out the story/world more than plot-related cutscenes.  ...Which reminds me, I always felt such melancholy when an NPC would say "so long" before they even really say anything.  And I always liked how classes were divvied up; indeed, the bottom levels look like shit and hell and nasty.

Oh, and up to you, but there is a buy/sell exploit to gain "infinite money" if you're not feeling the grind.

Yeah, I am really enjoying the NPCs in the game. It is unusual for me to repeatedly talk to every NPC I see but this game handles them well.

I listened to the extra audio that is in the FFX/FFX-2 HD collection. Didn't seem too bad to me. Went online to find out more and discovered that it continues on from an FF X 2.5 Novel. Read a summary of the novel and couldn't stop laughing my ass off.

Code:
Tidus and Yuna get shipwrecked on an Island. Tidus sees what appears to be a blitzball and tries to kick it only to discover that it is a bomb. It explodes and kills Tidus, sending his head flying over to Yuna who faints. Once she wakes up she resurrects him using fireflies or something.

Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #829 on: April 25, 2014, 06:46:00 AM »

I listened to the extra audio that is in the FFX/FFX-2 HD collection. Didn't seem too bad to me. Went online to find out more and discovered that it continues on from an FF X 2.5 Novel. Read a summary of the novel and couldn't stop laughing my ass off.

Code:
Tidus and Yuna get shipwrecked on an Island. Tidus sees what appears to be a blitzball and tries to kick it only to discover that it is a bomb. It explodes and kills Tidus, sending his head flying over to Yuna who faints. Once she wakes up she resurrects him using fireflies or something.

....is that for real? It sounds more like bad fan fiction. I mean it is hilarious, but that doesn't feel like it is real.

Code:
Although regardless of how real it is, Tidus being stupid enough to kick a bomb sounds legit.
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #830 on: April 25, 2014, 10:15:27 AM »

Code:

....is that for real? It sounds more like bad fan fiction. I mean it is hilarious, but that doesn't feel like it is real.

Code:
Although regardless of how real it is, Tidus being stupid enough to kick a bomb sounds legit.

Aww, that means you both missed this epic retelling with pictures that Aeo posted in the Random Pictures thread!! 

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #831 on: April 25, 2014, 10:32:40 AM »

Code:

Code:

Aww, that means you both missed this epic retelling with pictures that Aeo posted in the Random Pictures thread!! 

Not included was the part where because of the above, Yuna's actions resulted in the Farplane breaking and everyone coming back from the dead, Sin included. Also not included, necrophilia.

There's a reason why the possibility for a FFX-3 wasn't met with much fanfare.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #832 on: April 25, 2014, 10:44:22 AM »

Well how the fuck that story got approved for print is beyond me.  I don't know who can read it and think "GREAT IDEA, IT MADE ME TEAR UP AND IT 'GETS' THE SERIES ---- RUN IT FOR COLLECTORS!!".

A shame since i think the Farplane is the most interesting/underplayed element in that series.

I really hope if X-3 happened, it wouldn't be a "Here we go again!" to get Sin killed. 
If so, just set the nukes off on the planet -- it can't be saved.

RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Monsoon
Electric Mayhem
Contributing Editor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #833 on: April 25, 2014, 10:52:27 AM »

Couple more Fire Emblem chapters.  Turns out Nephenee is a SUPERBEAST.  Best unit on my team other than Ike.  Kieran is okay and I probably won't continue with him since Boyd has turned it around.  I'm going to keep using Mist only because I heard she's important in a later chapter.  I'm going to have Jill, Astrid, and Zihark gain a few more additional levels before I decide whether or not to use them, but my initial impressions are good.  Already like Zihark better than Mia.  

Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #834 on: April 25, 2014, 11:08:19 AM »

Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #835 on: April 25, 2014, 03:29:43 PM »

Finished up the sphere grid with Tidus and unlocked the trophy for completing the sphere grid with a character. All that's left is to beat Penance and do this seven more times for the gold trophy to unlock the platinum. I'm a masochist.

Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #836 on: April 25, 2014, 04:36:19 PM »

Well how the fuck that story got approved for print is beyond me.  I don't know who can read it and think "GREAT IDEA, IT MADE ME TEAR UP AND IT 'GETS' THE SERIES ---- RUN IT FOR COLLECTORS!!".

A shame since i think the Farplane is the most interesting/underplayed element in that series.

I really hope if X-3 happened, it wouldn't be a "Here we go again!" to get Sin killed. 

"Yuna Returns: FFX-3. Spira's turned into a crapsack world once more and there's only 10 days remaining before it all ends, so its time to help Yuna end it once and for all by gathering all the souls and sending them to a far away alternate plane called France and then have her punch God back into the dying reality with the power of friendship gained from awakening her friends/former allies."

Couple more Fire Emblem chapters.  Turns out Nephenee is a SUPERBEAST.  Best unit on my team other than Ike.  Kieran is okay and I probably won't continue with him since Boyd has turned it around.  I'm going to keep using Mist only because I heard she's important in a later chapter.  I'm going to have Jill, Astrid, and Zihark gain a few more additional levels before I decide whether or not to use them, but my initial impressions are good.  Already like Zihark better than Mia.  

Sounds like you're coming up on the desert chapter. You may want to have a look at this.

As for your latest recruits. There are no actual Mercenaries/Heroes in the Tellus games since Ike/Greil more or less made off with the class, instead you have the Lance flavored Soldiers and their promotions Halberdiers. Nephenee is one of those, and by far and away the best of them. She's one of the best characters in the game (and a good one to get to --/20 for FE10 for reasons), and free Wrath is amazing (you just need to pair it with Vantage or Resolve for absolute hilarity). Kieran is Boyd on a horse which immediately makes him better than Boyd, Gamble sucks, but you don't even need to promote him to get him working on his Axe rank and he could always sub in Bows or Swords to compensate for his lackluster Skill. Brom is there, and he's supposedly even beefier than Gatrie, but he's a Knight and that's always a problem. Zihark is debatably better than Mia thanks to free Adept and having access to Male Swordmasters' caps, but his availability isn't the hottest and there's an even better Swordmaster just around the corner (seriously, take a look at that link above; preferably before Chapter 15) (that said, he's a good fella to take up to --/20 for FE10 for reasons). Jill is pretty much the best character in the game, full stop. She's on a flying mount, she'll get Axes, once she gets going she'll have the Strength, Speed, and Defense to stand with the best of them, she comes with a Laguz Guard (a nice item), and though she doesn't come with any skills, that just means that you can do whatever with her once she promotes (and like Nephenee and Zihark before, she's also worth trying to bring up to --/20 for FE10). Astrid, say hello to the best bow user in the game. Like all default bow users, she'll need some effort to bring up to the party's standard, unlike the other default bow users she's A) on a horse, B) can promote into a Paladin, and C) is sporting Paragon by default, so just forge her a Bow and watch her go to town (also something that the game doesn't say but needs to be said anyways is that the Knight's Ward also carries with it a small boost to Skill and Speed growths; you might want to stick it on somebody who could use the extra growth in those areas). Gatrie is back for good this time (well until FE10), but unfortunately he's not as good as he will be by FE10, useful if you want to stick Provoke on him or something but Generals aren't that good in this game. And Sothe is complete garbage in this game, he's only useful if you really need that second Thief on the field, but otherwise avoid (don't even bother leveling him up for FE10, his bases there will be better there than anything you could get out from him here).

Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #837 on: April 25, 2014, 04:49:13 PM »

"Yuna Returns: FFX-3. Spira's turned into a crapsack world once more and there's only 10 days remaining before it all ends, so its time to help Yuna end it once and for all by gathering all the souls and sending them to a far away alternate plane called France and then have her punch God back into the dying reality with the power of friendship gained from awakening her friends/former allies."

Aeolus, if you were a real person (i.e. non-Internet person) I'd want to be your best friend sometimes if it meant golden nuggets like this every so often.

RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Monsoon
Electric Mayhem
Contributing Editor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #838 on: April 25, 2014, 07:15:22 PM »

Thanks for the info, Aeolus.  I'm not positive I'm going to play FE10 - I've heard some negative things, and I don't favor the super-difficult FE games.  I had to be a little savestate-happy to beat FE6.  I think FE9's difficulty curve is quite reasonable and I'm enjoying it; definitely going to see this one through to the end. 

Jill is giving me a Miredy / Milady vibe, which is about the highest praise I can give.  Miredy was my favorite FE6 character.  I don't even know who to compare Nephenee to, since lance infantry is extremely rare (...non-existent?) in the FE games I've played.  Her stats are similar to a Merc/Hero's as you mentioned, which is awesome.  I'm definitely going to work on Astrid, in no small part because cavalry's attack/run ability paired with a bow is basically perfect.  She's the Mongolian rider of Fire Emblem 9 as far as I'm concerned. 

Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #839 on: April 25, 2014, 10:24:25 PM »

Aeolus, if you were a real person (i.e. non-Internet person) I'd want to be your best friend sometimes if it meant golden nuggets like this every so often.

Oh noes! The jig is up.

Alright, I'll confess. I am actually an Internet personabot named The Moomba Roomba.

Thanks for the info, Aeolus.  I'm not positive I'm going to play FE10 - I've heard some negative things, and I don't favor the super-difficult FE games.  I had to be a little savestate-happy to beat FE6.  I think FE9's difficulty curve is quite reasonable and I'm enjoying it; definitely going to see this one through to the end. 

Jill is giving me a Miredy / Milady vibe, which is about the highest praise I can give.  Miredy was my favorite FE6 character.  I don't even know who to compare Nephenee to, since lance infantry is extremely rare (...non-existent?) in the FE games I've played.  Her stats are similar to a Merc/Hero's as you mentioned, which is awesome.  I'm definitely going to work on Astrid, in no small part because cavalry's attack/run ability paired with a bow is basically perfect.  She's the Mongolian rider of Fire Emblem 9 as far as I'm concerned. 

Actually FE10 isn't really all that difficult (outside of some of the Dawn Brigade chapters and 2-E). A lot of the beef towards the game comes from the fact that the cast is so large and transitory that characters live and die by their availability more than anything and the game didn't really handle the migrating cast as well as it could've. Out of everybody from FE9, only one PC doesn't rejoin in FE10. On top of that a lot of the side cast (i.e. NPCs, Villains, etc.) become playable as well. And then there's the new guys (i.e. the Dawn Brigade, half a dozen Laguz, and so on). The cast numbers nearly 70 all told. Beyond that, it didn't really handle the plot as well as it could've since it drops the whole 'return of the vanquished' plotline the game started with for a typical 'save the world from an unpleasant god' routine, and they also ditched the individual supports for generic insert dialogues which set off a lot of fans (see also: Shadow Dragon).

That said, it has even better map designs than FE9 does (especially since there's very little choice as to who you can bring), and virtually anyone is usable (since there's more than a few grinding stages and BEXP is ludicrously broken in FE10), and the game features mid-battle saves and Supports with anybody (although that came at the cost of having individualized Supports, which is why Awakening went overboard with them).

At any rate, the reason why one would want to have the characters I mentioned at --/20 is because, with two notable exceptions, when you transfer data, any returning character who's reached level 20 in their 2nd tier class will gain, to every stat they capped in FE9, an extra 2 points to their base stat in FE10 (basically a free stat booster to said stat), as well as any Support ranks they've established (i.e. if Ike and Soren end FE9 with an A rank Support, then when they return in FE10 they will automatically have an A rank Support with each other). The reason why I mentioned the characters in my previous posts is because they either show up in tough stages with nothing but their default stats/abilities to work off of (i.e. Nephenee), have larger availability than other characters (i.e. Ilyana, who ironically, has the largest availability of anyone in FE10), some combination thereof (i.e. Zihark, Jill), or is part of some super secret requirement to view extra scenes/obtain otherwise unobtainable characters (i.e. Ike, Soren).

Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 181 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: