Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2014, 09:03:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334486 Posts in 13702 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  A Game Journal Reborn
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 151 Print
Author Topic: A Game Journal Reborn  (Read 61964 times)
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #900 on: May 01, 2014, 10:40:35 PM »

Child of Light

I'm loving this game.  Like any good RPG, it appreciates with the more skills your characters get and the harder the enemies get.  In which case I love/hate that enemies are just as likely to screw you out of an attack as you are to them.  The graphics are damn pretty...and I don't want this game to end.

Let me join you in gushing over Child of Light.

While I was looking forward to it, I sort of expected it to be one of those titles that suckered me at face value only to prove to be another game I wish I loved.

Nothing could be further from the truth. I freakin' love it so far.

The aspects that initially felt a wee bit cumbersome and slow feel well oiled, deliberate and necessary to me a few hours in. Crafting and mechanical systems thus far actually feel worthwhile (playing on hard). And on the difficulty note, I'm real happy they let you swtich mid-game. I started on Normal and felt a tad underwhelmed, but on hard I'm quite engaged. Had I been forced to stick with normal for the entirety I think I would have an entirely different opinion about some aspects of the game in the long run.

I am going take a break from Atelier E and L and play the hell out of CoL. I simply can't help myself.

Terranigma: Last weekend I saved some plants and some birds.... good stuff. Bird boss, while not too difficult, was IRRITATING as hell to hit. I had flashbacks of running out of MP in Secret of Mana and fighting bosses with weapons to the tune of a 9 to 1 miss/hit ratio, and obsessively trying to use the bow (pure madness) because I thought it was "cool"

Let me note that any Mana flashbacks are welcome to me, even if they are bore of frustration at my inability to successfully connect attacks. LoL

The Bow wasn't that bad of a weapon, though granted, all the ranged weapons kinda fell short compared to the Whip. Also the only time MP becomes an issue in SoM is during the boss fights in either Pandora's Ruins or the Earth Palace or during Jock(what a Jerk)'s Trial.

Ker-Wall-o'-Edit: FE8 Edition.

FINALLY finished chapter 19 in my no grinding Ephraim Hard Mode run, after several failed runs that ended mostly due to amazingly bad luck on my end (too many Axe Magnets or Fireballs slipping in that extra lucky hit or Swordmaster Crit spam in general). What's amazing is that not only did the winning run succeed, and not only did I manage to get almost everything one could hope to squeeze out of it, but that I did so by the hair's edge of a razor. I'm talkin' Bottom of the Ninth, Bases Loaded, Full Count, No Items, Fox Only, Final Destination kinda stuff. After 11 out of 13 turns of defendin' my ass off I had managed to clear the northern front and sent my Ranger Neimi south to help out at the main entrance while I had sent Cormag and Kyle off from the main front to help take some heat off of my Natasha and unpromoted Marisa over on the eastern front. On that enemy phase the west side of the main front suddenly took a ridiculously major pivot when the last enemy Warrior of the field decided to attack Seth instead of Eirika due to Eirika's recently gained levels tying her Def with Seth's, leading WTA to kick in making him the target, and like any good Axe Magnet, he took the hit to the face, losing a third of his health. And now without any Paladins or Warriors to clog the system, cue several turns worth of Mage Knights and Rangers to rush him down. It was by my great fortune that Seth broke his Javelin on a Mage Knight since it forced all the Rangers to come at him and his Iron Lance with their Swords causing them to all miss, because after eating two Elfires to the face (and dodging four more along with six Sword swipes) Seth was down to a scant 3 HP from the 48 he started the phase with, leaving only the boss Riev and a single Mage Knight at half health.

Flash forward to the final turn. After choking the point on the east side of the main front since turn 4 (aside from a single Sword Master and Great Knight spilling over and spawning behind my lines), the enemy counted 4 with 2 wounded Sword Masters and a full health one as well as a full health Great Knight (and the boss on the other end) while my not currently indisposed units counted my Str screwed Ephraim, my point choking Paladin Franz (who somehow manages to make 22 Str and 20 Spd look weak and mediocre), my unpromoted Monk Athur, and my wafer-thin Def (like 2 points better than the aforementioned Athur) Ranger Neimi. Ephraim manages to take out one of the wounded SMs but in doing so left Athur with nothing to do thanks to his awful Def and Luk all but guaranteeing his eating a crit (not that these SM wouldn't have done the same to Ephraim), so I decide to take a chance and have Franz step out of the chokepoint to try to take out the other wounded SM with a Javelin toss. He missed. So it comes down to Neimi and her Killer Bow to try to eliminate the Great Knight. She scores one Crit, but not two, leaving the GK standing. I manage through trading/rescuing shenanigans to switch her Bow out with her Steel Sword and hope for the best. Meanwhile I had Seth and Eirika on standby for taking out Riev, but I hadn't noticed until it was too late that it was my Rogue Rennac who was illuminating him that turn (instead of the Torch Staff charge I had used earlier). This meant that I had to spot with Eirika and weaken with Seth and wait to eliminate him on the enemy phase (and not eat a stupidly unlucky Crit in the process). Now comes then enemy phase, first up to bat is the wounded SM, he targets and hits Neimi for over half her health but dies to her counterattack, next is the now wounded Great Knight, who swings and misses (though he would have to be stupidly lucky to hit her) and she finishes him off, and finally comes the last full health enemy on the map, a Swordmaster all too happy to hit or Crit my Neimi for an easy kill and even with two hits, Neimi has no chance of icing this foe without a Crit. He swings and misses! Neimi swings and CRITS!!! After that is Riev going down to an all but garanteed counter kill and saving the hell out of that.

The final tally of loot procured was a Rune Sword, a Fenfir Tome, a Speedwing, a Bolting Tome, a Fortify Staff, a Goddess Icon (stolen), 3x Lockpicks (stolen, one slightly used), a Brave Lance, a Brave Sword, a Brave Bow, an Aura Tome (from the boss), a Light Brand (from keeping all but two NPCs alive till the end), 3x Physic Staffs (bought from the Secret Shop), 15000 Gold (5675 of which went towards the procurement of 3x Physic Staffs), Latona Staff and Ivaldi (legendaries), one promoted unit (Cormag), and all but one enemy's worth of Exp (due to Cormag having to Javelin a dude after hitting Level 20 due to that spill over into the soft underbelly of my rearlines).
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 07:42:47 AM by Aeolus » Logged

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #901 on: May 02, 2014, 10:54:41 AM »

Nier
10 hours in, 41% sidequests done(I decided to do them all because of the dog sidequest.). Going to the desert now..
The lighthouse sidequest made me tear up.. This game is something special.

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #902 on: May 02, 2014, 11:17:58 PM »

Burnout Paradise - Okay, I decided to try the game again, and I dropped all the visual settings as low as possible and I can /actually see stuff/ now. Anyway, the game suddenly clicked for me when I did this. Won like two races, did a marked man thing, killed a new car...

Shining Force 3 - Partway through the battle after Vagabond. Had to sell a ton of healing stuff to outfit my party. Took Justin instead of Hayward (Jablorme).  Got everything useful in the Ruins (because Eldar is awesome and turning into the secret badass of my party). I lost Kahn early on to a succubus which was bad. Also Julian but he was a meatshield that allowed Eldar to live also I think I lose him right after this anyway.

Both my mages have a good amount of MP left. Big concern is healing -- Kahn's out, Grace is about halfway empty, idk how good I am on items, uh... other monk has some HP still.

Oh well, cleared the ruins, if I egress at this point I'm not out too much, and I'll have a full party for the early fight.

Basically I accidentally triggered the ruins sooner than I should have. Also I keep forgetting that I can check if I'm in an enemy's movement range :TTT

--- edit ---

Suik 3 - Finished Thomas ch. 1 and started Hugo ch. 3. Do skill levels/selections change between chapters..?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 04:42:41 AM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #903 on: May 03, 2014, 06:49:26 AM »

Started Witcher 2, I'm still in the prologue. I'm not really sure what I think about the game yet. Gameplay feels meh to me. Too early to really have any feelings on the storyline.
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #904 on: May 03, 2014, 11:46:38 AM »

--- edit ---

Suik 3 - Finished Thomas ch. 1 and started Hugo ch. 3. Do skill levels/selections change between chapters..?

I think Skills are mostly influenced by who's learning them/what they came with. For instance, Heavy Armor and Shield skills are found more on characters that actually wear Armor/use Shields.

Reta

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #905 on: May 04, 2014, 03:35:59 AM »

I finished Rudra no Hihou. The final boss was absolutely insane; one of the hardest I've ever fought. I actually had to retry several times due to running out of MP-restoring items.

Now I can really get into Child of Light. I started it a while ago, but I have a hard time concentrating on two RPGs at once.
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #906 on: May 04, 2014, 07:12:12 AM »

I think I'm just going to drop Witcher 2 because I just don't care at this point. I hit chapter 1, started some earl quests and I realized I just don't give an f about the game.

I think I might just start Steins;Gate since I got it recently.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #907 on: May 04, 2014, 12:02:07 PM »

Got Saint's Row 2 'cause it was on sale on Gamersgate but then it ends up being a more dysfunctional port than I heard, and it turns out SR3 would've probably worked better on my system. Although I'm not sure either were really what I was looking for in a game right now either so WUH-EV.

>:C

--- edit ---

SF3 - Aghaghag almost beat the mission with the Elbesem Statue but hen Synbios got countered by that lady general and one-hit ko'd. blafgagagf.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 02:04:06 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #908 on: May 04, 2014, 04:28:24 PM »

A little over halfway through my evil playthrough of Second Son on expert mode. It really hasn't been any more challenging. If anything it has been easier because I know the strategies of the enemies this time. I do miss some of the hero abilities (like the slow down time thing with Neon). I also started up FF X-2 HD last night. Played it for about an hour. Graphics look pretty good just like FFX. Trophies seem  much harder in this game than FFX though, which is annoying. I don't want to mess with this garbage creature creator, but getting every single creature is a gold trophy. I don't even remember this being in the original game. Was it?

Bleaker

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #909 on: May 04, 2014, 04:45:59 PM »

I think I'm just going to drop Witcher 2 because I just don't care at this point. I hit chapter 1, started some earl quests and I realized I just don't give an f about the game.

That game is so great though, I'd stick with it if I were you. Chapter 1 is pretty exhausting, but once you get to the end of it, the game really picks up. I can't say the sidequests were ever fun, but the story in the game is really great.

Laugh and the world laughs with you.
Weep, and you weep alone.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #910 on: May 04, 2014, 11:03:29 PM »

I finished Rudra no Hihou. The final boss was absolutely insane; one of the hardest I've ever fought. I actually had to retry several times due to running out of MP-restoring items.

Now I can really get into Child of Light. I started it a while ago, but I have a hard time concentrating on two RPGs at once.

I love Rudra.  A weird and rare gem that throws a really unique, bizarre, and interesting world.  I feel like they put a TON of ideas and didn't really flesh many of them out --- but I loved it nonetheless.  The spritework was especially fantastic, I actually don't think any SNES-era Squeenix RPG every bothered with the same amount of love.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #911 on: May 04, 2014, 11:22:25 PM »

I love Rudra.  A weird and rare gem that throws a really unique, bizarre, and interesting world.  I feel like they put a TON of ideas and didn't really flesh many of them out --- but I loved it nonetheless.  The spritework was especially fantastic, I actually don't think any SNES-era Squeenix RPG every bothered with the same amount of love.
I would argue that Seiken Densetsu III did, but I'm a fanboy for that game.  Got bias. 

Played some more Fire Emblem today.  Now at chapter 15.  Story is getting pretty good.  Politics aren't quite as black and white as other games in the series that I've played (FE 4, 6, 7, 8).  Nephenee, Astrid, and Oscar have turned AWESOME.  Oscar is only character to have promoted thus far.  A few others at 19 or 20 unpromoted. 

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #912 on: May 04, 2014, 11:32:12 PM »

I would argue that Seiken Densetsu III did, but I'm a fanboy for that game.  Got bias. 

Most definitely.  I'd say they're tied?  They both combine excellent artistry and moving framerate. Love 'em.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #913 on: May 05, 2014, 12:57:32 AM »

Tried Portal 2, but I had to stop due to motion sickness.  I didn't expect to have to wear my sea bands for a puzzle game.

Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology -  At first I was not excited about it being a game of fetch quests and kill x number of enemies.  But I like seeing old faces and some new ones I don't recognize.  Skits are my favorite part of tales games and it is those skits that keep me playing.  The only part I am dreading is when Shirley shows her face.  I think she is my most hated character of all time.  I like villains better than I do her.

Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #914 on: May 05, 2014, 02:24:40 AM »

Played some more Fire Emblem today.  Now at chapter 15.  Story is getting pretty good.  Politics aren't quite as black and white as other games in the series that I've played (FE 4, 6, 7, 8).  Nephenee, Astrid, and Oscar have turned AWESOME.  Oscar is only character to have promoted thus far.  A few others at 19 or 20 unpromoted. 

Most definitely.  I'd say they're tied?  They both combine excellent artistry and moving framerate. Love 'em.

Throwing Terrenigma and Bahamut Lagoon into the pot of awesomely detailed SuperNES era RPG spritework.

As for FE9, yeah. Unfortunately, the writers drop the ball at the end of FE10, but this game on its own is one of the tighter games in the series in terms of plot (though incidentally, the Tellus games' plot generally reflects the Jugral games' plot with FE9 basically being akin to the first half of FE4 except with more/better writing due to having a full game and less console limitations to work with, the first half of FE10 being like FE5 but without the full game to work with, and the final act of FE10 being as much of a let down as the second half of FE4).

Anyways, you should've gotten Makalov(e), who's one of the better Sword users in the game due to being on a horse, but unlike Astrid and Kieran, he's got a lot of competition for Swords from Ike and the game's four potential Swordmasters (chief among them being the very next guy you can get) and he joins at that awkward point where you should be solidifying your main team for the game instead of taking on new members, but he'll catch up pretty quick once he gets a few levels under his belt. And as I mentioned before, both Mia and Zihark are not the best potential Swordmasters in the game, and Stefan is why. Basically Stefan (assuming you got him and not just his 'the S-ranked Sword' or nothing at all) doesn't need any resources to become a usable SM, he already is one, and that his stats are comparable to what the pre-promotes would have at the same level and with generally better growths to boot (and is also male which means having a not-garbage Str cap) plus he even comes with the sword he would've offered you had you found him but not with your Laguz, and even two Occult Scrolls worth of skills (one built into him, and one he'll hand over to Ike in a pre-battle convo in a chapter or two). His downsides are his terrible Luck (as befitting a Sirius/Shanan expy), his support options are the worst of the four SMs (Heaven is a terrible affinity for a SM to have whereas Zihark and the last SM have the awesome Earth and Mia has Fire to help her crappy Str cap; and he's competing for Soren with Ike and Mordecai isn't really worth bringing around), and that his default skill isn't quite as good as the Myrmidons' are (even if it is Astra, its the worst incarnation of Astra in the series and its competing with Adept and one of the best versions of Vantage in the series). Next is Tormod who's your third and Fire Mage, his biggest advantages lying in the fact that his skill Celerity is awesome (like Boots awesome; because that's effectively what it is; now if only there were a way to give him Canto he could effectively become an honorary mounted unit....), that there's a ton of Beast type Laguz to take advantage of his affinity with Fire magic, and he's still unpromoted. Unfortunately, he's got quite a few issues like being pretty middle of the road in terms of stats, the fact that his weapon levels are pretty low and hard to raise, the fact that the other two Mages could've raised their Fire weapon rank to comparable levels by the time he shows up, or the fact that an even better (though that's debatable since she starts promoted and he has Celerity) Fire magic user only a few chapters away. And finally is Muarim who has a Demi-Band for any Laguz you might want to use in spite of having their stats turn to garbage.

Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 151 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: