Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 20, 2014, 12:56:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341062 Posts in 13939 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Game Journals
| | |-+  A Game Journal Reborn
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 182 Print
Author Topic: A Game Journal Reborn  (Read 82417 times)
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #945 on: May 06, 2014, 08:10:09 AM »

The way I see it, it's their fault for having nice cards I don't have*. Let their good fortune be their downfall! >:D

*I've gotten some more legendaries since we last played but they're mostly kind of meh. There's of course Nat Pagle and Nozdormu, but I also got a Loremaster Cho (yeah...), Millhouse Manastorm (blah), Illidan Stormrage (not too shabby) and Cenarius (nice!).
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #946 on: May 06, 2014, 09:19:07 AM »

Damn, end boss in A Link Between Worlds is a bitch. Fought him numerous times last night, and only once did I get him flashing. Gamefaqs offers no help either. Wonderful.

If I recall correctly, just whack him enough times to get him into his wall painting phase then go into wall painting mode and shoot him with your Light Arrows. If you're really hurting, bring lots of Blue Potions, and don't forget that you can block his standard attacks with your Shield (the ones where he flashes red before attacking, not so much) and that its easier to counterattack with the Pegasus Boots dash.

Also, and this is just to be on the safe side, you have both the Golden Sword and the Red Mail right? Those are kinda helpful for this.
Golden sword and red mail? What the hell are those? I upgraded the sword once with ore, but never found any more.
I found one new set of armor, but that's it. Blue, I think.
I presume you get Light Arrows somehow during the fight?
I've never been good at that left shoulder button dash thing.
Thanks for the help!

I take it then that you've never played aLttP then, because those were in there as well. Anyways, each dungeon (and one side area) has a hidden Big Chest containing a power-up of some form. Three of the dungeons (Dark Palace, Skull Woods, and Thieves' Hideout) along with the Graveyard have a piece of Master Ore hiding in them, with two pieces upgrading the Sword one level (starting from Master to Tempered to Golden).

The other dungeons have the following items:
Swamp Palace: Blue Mail
Turtle Rock: Mirror Hylian Shield
Desert Palace: Titan's Mitt
Ice Palace Ruins: Stamina Scroll
Lorule Castle: Red Mail (the trick Dice alludes to is the same as one used in one of the dungeon's puzzle chambers)

You do indeed get the Light Arrows during the final battle like every Zelda game since Twilight Princess (assuming there are even Light Arrows to begin with).

But yeah, you can beat Yuganon without them and the Dash technique, but they do help (also helpful are the game's Five Bottles and the Upgraded Spin Attack).

Of course I played ALTTP! Right when it first came out on the SNES. That was a LONG time ago, and I don't remember much from it.
I tried to find every treasure in each dungeon, but gave up on finding a few.
I only have 3 bottles, and never upgraded(how?) the spin attack.
Apparently, I suck at gaming. Thanks for rubbing it in. At least Dice was nice about it.
:-(

Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: Mistbron#3: Hero of Ages
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #947 on: May 06, 2014, 10:04:15 AM »

I found the upgraded spin attack fairly useless. You get it for finding all the squidlings.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #948 on: May 06, 2014, 11:42:26 AM »

I found the upgraded spin attack fairly useless. You get it for finding all the squidlings.

It does up the Spin Attack damage from 2x to 4x and extends its range, but yeah. Its not necessary for beating the game with.

Damn, end boss in A Link Between Worlds is a bitch. Fought him numerous times last night, and only once did I get him flashing. Gamefaqs offers no help either. Wonderful.

If I recall correctly, just whack him enough times to get him into his wall painting phase then go into wall painting mode and shoot him with your Light Arrows. If you're really hurting, bring lots of Blue Potions, and don't forget that you can block his standard attacks with your Shield (the ones where he flashes red before attacking, not so much) and that its easier to counterattack with the Pegasus Boots dash.

Also, and this is just to be on the safe side, you have both the Golden Sword and the Red Mail right? Those are kinda helpful for this.
Golden sword and red mail? What the hell are those? I upgraded the sword once with ore, but never found any more.
Thanks for the help!

I take it then that you've never played aLttP then, because those were in there as well. Anyways, each dungeon (and one side area) has a hidden Big Chest containing a power-up of some form. Three of the dungeons (Dark Palace, Skull Woods, and Thieves' Hideout) along with the Graveyard have a piece of Master Ore hiding in them, with two pieces upgrading the Sword one level (starting from Master to Tempered to Golden).

Lorule Castle: Red Mail (the trick Dice alludes to is the same as one used in one of the dungeon's puzzle chambers)

You do indeed get the Light Arrows during the final battle like every Zelda game since Twilight Princess (assuming there are even Light Arrows to begin with).

But yeah, you can beat Yuganon without them and the Dash technique, but they do help (also helpful are the game's Five Bottles and the Upgraded Spin Attack).

Of course I played ALTTP! Right when it first came out on the SNES. That was a LONG time ago, and I don't remember much from it.
Apparently, I suck at gaming. Thanks for rubbing it in. At least Dice was nice about it.

I wasn't trying to be an ass about it. If I were, I would've told you exactly how to get all that stuff instead of just trying to point you in the right direction. I just found it odd that you didn't assume that there was a Red Mail in the game given the series' tendency to reuse that legacy feature in some way or another (i.e. OoT has both Red and Blue Tunics for environmental hazards, LADX has either the Red or Blue Mail as a reward for clearing the Color Dungeon, the Oracle games have the Red and Blue Rings, even TP kinda references this with the Zora's Mail and Magic Armor and the fact that both armor sets are worn over a Blue and Red Tunic respectfully).

And with that said, I apologize for making assumptions about your gaming history.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #949 on: May 06, 2014, 12:04:23 PM »

The only thing you need is the Fire Rod.  That thing....is baaaaaaadass.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
mecharobot

Thunder of the dogs! INDIGNATION

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #950 on: May 06, 2014, 01:07:05 PM »

So I killed Diablo and now I'm finally on act V, which I've never even seen before. The battle was kind of easy, though occasionally an assault could result in a miserable failure since my primary attack is Tornado which just goes wherever it pleases. Still, having to resort to hit and run tactics is lame and show that not all things were perfect in the good old times. I wonder why Tyrael charges gold for resurrecting my mercenary, though. He is an archangel from heaven and asks me money when I'm trying to slay heaven's archnemesis?
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #951 on: May 06, 2014, 02:58:33 PM »

It does up the Spin Attack damage from 2x to 4x and extends its range, but yeah. Its not necessary for beating the game with.

Thanks for the help!

I wasn't trying to be an ass about it. If I were, I would've told you exactly how to get all that stuff instead of just trying to point you in the right direction. I just found it odd that you didn't assume that there was a Red Mail in the game given the series' tendency to reuse that legacy feature in some way or another (i.e. OoT has both Red and Blue Tunics for environmental hazards, LADX has either the Red or Blue Mail as a reward for clearing the Color Dungeon, the Oracle games have the Red and Blue Rings, even TP kinda references this with the Zora's Mail and Magic Armor and the fact that both armor sets are worn over a Blue and Red Tunic respectfully).

And with that said, I apologize for making assumptions about your gaming history.
See, I don't think about things like that. I don't even remember ANY red mail in a Zelda game, and I've played almost every one! But my memory is almost as terrible as my gaming skills, so no surprise there.
I've always sucked at games, which is why I like the easy ones. Nowadays I mostly go in for the interactive story, music, and cathartic battle systems that help with the stress of daily life.
I remember very little from any game I've ever played. Mostly music, or certain story elements. From Zelda games I think of the Master Sword, Hylian Shield, Triforce, bow, etc.
Anyway, no hard feelings. Thanks for the help.

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #952 on: May 06, 2014, 05:12:43 PM »

Thanks for the help!

See, I don't think about things like that. I don't even remember ANY red mail in a Zelda game, and I've played almost every one! But my memory is almost as terrible as my gaming skills, so no surprise there.
I've always sucked at games, which is why I like the easy ones. Nowadays I mostly go in for the interactive story, music, and cathartic battle systems that help with the stress of daily life.
I remember very little from any game I've ever played. Mostly music, or certain story elements. From Zelda games I think of the Master Sword, Hylian Shield, Triforce, bow, etc.
Anyway, no hard feelings. Thanks for the help.

Admittedly, I have the near exact opposite problem. I just can't forget about the games I've played, no matter how many years its been since I've played it (unless they're so bland and forgettable that I somehow do manage to forget, but its usually not a good sign of quality if that happens to me).

And I'm not going to make any more assumptions, I'll just post what I know under the Code tags and you can look at your leisure.

Code:
The two easiest to miss Master Ores are the ones in the Palace of Darkness and the Graveyard.

To find the one in the Dark Palace, go to the large chamber on the southern end of the second floor. Just north of that room on the map is a small room with a chest in it. That room contains the Master Ore. To enter, look for a Crystal Switch near the north end of the room, then look nearby for a Helmasaur relief under the elevated platform against the north wall. Set a Bomb next to the Crystal Switch then turn into a Painting and move onto the relief, if the relief is not there, hit the Crystal Switch once and look again, there are other reliefs in the room but they lead only to Rupees.

To find the one in the Graveyard, first you actually have to visit Lorule's Graveyard. There's a portal in the Sanctuary in the Light World. From there head towards the nearby Graveyard and look for the same Gravestone that you used to enter the Light World's Sanctuary with and take it until you reach Lorule's Sanctuary, before you jump down off the platform to reach the rest of the Sanctuary, turn into a Wall Painting and walk along the right side of the hallway. You'll come up onto an elevated platform with a Big Chest, which contains the final piece of Master Ore.

The Red Mail is located on the north end of the Top Floor of Lorule Castle. To reach it, simply knock out the Torches in the chamber and an invisible pathway should be revealed to you.

One Bottle is located at the Well of Wishing in Lorule, next to the Bomb Shop, south of The Village of Outcasts. You'll have to spend around 5000 Rupees to get the Great Faerie to appear and she will give you a Bottle.

I'm not sure which of the other Bottles you've gotten since that's the only easily missed one I can think of.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #953 on: May 06, 2014, 06:21:22 PM »

Just finished LIMBO. Game was a lot of fun. Some of the later puzzles took me a few attempts even when I knew what I had to do.

Annubis

ee yan~☆

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #954 on: May 06, 2014, 09:47:00 PM »

Picked up Katawa Shoujo, again...
Tried playing as myself to see what path that would give me, again...
Got the manly party death scene, again...

MY GOD KENJI! IF YOU COULD ONLY SEE THE SCHEME UNFOLDING!
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #955 on: May 06, 2014, 10:45:11 PM »

SR2 - Sort of got this more working, idk, added Shaundi to the game and just kind of screwed around a bit.

GTA:SA - Aaaand the entire GTA series is on sale on greenman and I wanted something like SR2 because I'm enjoying it, except GTA:SA, er, is a /considerably more performant/ experience, although idk if I'm really /enjoying/ this that much right now. I think I need to mess around with story missions some more until stuff opens up? IDK GTAIV sounds like Shenmue with cars, maybe I'll try that instead.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #956 on: May 07, 2014, 12:09:14 AM »

Just finished LIMBO. Game was a lot of fun. Some of the later puzzles took me a few attempts even when I knew what I had to do.

I love the shock of the first big death in that game.

The extra stage is absolutely brutal.

I love the 'less is more' ending.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #957 on: May 07, 2014, 03:34:12 AM »

Venetica, it got some mediocre reviews but I find it charming in a clunky sort of way. Playing it on hard but I'll probably drop it down to normal because the combat isn't as much "hard" as it is "long" and as a result, can get kind of boring. Its also got a fairly charming though somewhat "awkwardly dark" world to it. I actually bought it many years ago but had to stop playing because of constant loading when popping in and out of buildings in Venice. Hopefully it wont be as much of an issue now as it was on my old PC.

NOW PLAYING:
Final Fantasy XIII: The time has come...
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout: Its...Odd...
One Finger Death Punch: F*ck Yeah! - The game
Monsoon
Electric Mayhem
Contributing Editor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #958 on: May 07, 2014, 07:20:28 AM »

Played some Ratchet & Clank HD last night because... why not.  Having some trouble on the branching path area in Orxon; tougher than I remember. 

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #959 on: May 07, 2014, 09:56:22 AM »

Finished A Link Between Worlds last night! Yay! Once I got the red mail, I did much better, and beat the final boss in one try.
Thank you Aeolus and Dice for your help. Although the armor is NOT on the top floor like you said, Aeolus.
Code:
4th floor across from the pseudo boss door. I saw the two torches and figured I had to put them out.
Only after wandering around aimlessly for 15 minutes, though.

Truly a great game. Like I said previously, hopefully it's a good sign for future Zeldas.

I think I might try out The Wolf Among Us next. I want to buy Child of Light, but I need a shorter game in between. Yes, even a game like Child will take me a month or so to play through. Sometimes a guy needs that completion satisfaction a little quicker.

Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 182 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: