Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 28, 2014, 02:15:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338689 Posts in 13864 Topics by 2217 Members
Latest Member: milz
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Game Journals
| | |-+  A Game Journal Reborn
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 170 Print
Author Topic: A Game Journal Reborn  (Read 74134 times)
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #975 on: May 09, 2014, 01:26:42 AM »

Wellllll the other problem with SA is that it has all these artificial barriers that require you to do the story missions. So I can't just screw off and start doing the side activities on my own, because you can't leave the first city until you do a bunch of story missions or, uh, even start going to the gym until you complete a few missions at least. Also a lot of stuff really just feels like it doesn't work in the engine they have. IDK I want to like it and the setting sounds interesting, but...

Meanwhile Vice City is basically Crazy Taxi.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #976 on: May 09, 2014, 03:45:30 AM »

Wellllll the other problem with SA is that it has all these artificial barriers that require you to do the story missions. So I can't just screw off and start doing the side activities on my own, because you can't leave the first city until you do a bunch of story missions or, uh, even start going to the gym until you complete a few missions at least. Also a lot of stuff really just feels like it doesn't work in the engine they have. IDK I want to like it and the setting sounds interesting, but...

Yeah, all the GTA games are guilty of the lock and key gameplay to a certain respect but San Andres is among the worst offenders since you're basically in a glorified tutorial until you leave the starting city (and you still don't unlock any of the fun or interesting stuff until you hit the third city).

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #977 on: May 09, 2014, 03:52:57 PM »

Finished Ace Attorney 5.
An excellent addition to the series even if ever slighty disappointing.

These words will go down in the annals of history.. Such is the fate of great men. This is history in the making!

Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #978 on: May 09, 2014, 04:33:01 PM »

Finished Ace Attorney 5.
An excellent addition to the series even if ever slighty disappointing.

Yeah, I liked the game a lot, but I'm really eager to see its new direction

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #979 on: May 09, 2014, 07:34:08 PM »

Yeah, all the GTA games are guilty of the lock and key gameplay to a certain respect but San Andres is among the worst offenders since you're basically in a glorified tutorial until you leave the starting city (and you still don't unlock any of the fun or interesting stuff until you hit the third city).

Just for fun I tried to see if the drive by mission I was on would let me use one of the vehicles I'd stolen previously.

It didn't.

>:T

I'm surprised I can't find any actual free-play mods for this.

Also the game has like no sense of tone. The actual story, from what I've seen, is ridiculously bleak. The humor outside the main story feels ridiculously juvenile. This... doesn't work.

IDK maybe I should quit watching NerdCubed videos and get back to playing Shining Force everything.

Dang I wish Hardwar worked on my laptop :V
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 07:46:44 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not dream o/`

Klyde Chroma
LVL 12. Obsessive Compulsive Fruity Assassin

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #980 on: May 09, 2014, 08:23:16 PM »

Just got to Act/Chapter 9 in Child of Light. Too hooked to stop.

I see another abreviated retro-gaming-weekend agenda. Sorry Terranigma.

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.

(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #981 on: May 10, 2014, 01:14:09 AM »

Legend of Zelda: Ageist Oracles

Got 4 of the 8 thingers I need to collect. Like the switch hook, but I'm guessing it's gonna have some pretty limited use. The ring mechanic is neat, but doesn't seem to have much an impact on the game. So far the 3rd dungeon has been the most difficult, but in terms of bosses the 2nd was the most challenging. It's scratching my Zelda itch for the moment, but I'm thinking what I really need is one of the 3D Zelda games.
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #982 on: May 10, 2014, 02:18:09 AM »

Legend of Zelda: Ageist Oracles

Got 4 of the 8 thingers I need to collect. Like the switch hook, but I'm guessing it's gonna have some pretty limited use. The ring mechanic is neat, but doesn't seem to have much an impact on the game. So far the 3rd dungeon has been the most difficult, but in terms of bosses the 2nd was the most challenging. It's scratching my Zelda itch for the moment, but I'm thinking what I really need is one of the 3D Zelda games.

Actually, the Switch Hook is more useful than you'd think (although, that might have something to do with Flagship spamming the fuck out of lock and key puzzles, they basically took a look at Link's Awakening's overworld and decided to crank it up to eleven, still has its moments though, even in fights).

The Rings only start to get useful once you've either collected some of the better ones or you've upgraded your Ring Box to at least Level-2. Otherwise they're just there for collection purposes/bragging rights. Also, don't skimp on planting Gasha Seeds. Not only do you net Rings from the Nuts but also free Potions and even a Piece of Heart (and working on that during the game is a hell of a lot easier than dicking around with it afterwards).

Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #983 on: May 10, 2014, 07:28:54 AM »

Finished Steins;Gate 100% last night. Game was good, had a lot of minor details that made some of the plot points work better than in the anime. However there is still one minor point from the true end that still bugs me.

Code:
The freaking metal Upa. The whole point of the final trip to the past is to create a stable time loop that feeds back to Okabe getting to that point in the timeline. However the metal Upa screws up the time loop since he saw a metal Upa there and that is how he knew what to. The way to fix the time loop should have been get a plastic Upa and replace the dropped the metal Upa with the plastic one before Kurisu picked it up. That would have left Okabe's observed initial timeline in tact resulting in a stable time loop.

If it wasn't for this one detail, I would call it a perfectly internally consistent time travel story, and quite possibly the first of those that I have ever seen.

Not sure what I'll be playing first. Considering Bound by Flame, Witch and the Hundred Knight, trying Witcher 2 again, or maybe something else from my backlist.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #984 on: May 10, 2014, 10:41:11 AM »

Suik 3 - Made a bit more progress in Hugo Ch. 3. Just found out Sgt. Joe's full name. What is this I don't ven

o/` I do not dream o/`

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #985 on: May 10, 2014, 10:43:21 AM »

Suik 3 - Made a bit more progress in Hugo Ch. 3. Just found out Sgt. Joe's full name. What is this I don't ven

Yeah, it was Jordi right?

Sgt. Joe also has a bizarrely fucking dark past that's hinted at.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #986 on: May 10, 2014, 01:12:12 PM »

Yeah, it was Jordi right?

Sgt. Joe also has a bizarrely fucking dark past that's hinted at.

I just find it amusing that he was the one to inherit Victor's star (especially since there's Edge, who looks a lot more like Victor than Sgt. Joe, and even has the same sword as him, yet wound up with Filk's star instead) but it does makes some sense as to why he has it, while Hugo got Valeria's star (and he doesn't even have the Falcon Rune, although he can hit a lot once his Swing gets upgraded and he has a Griffon which is better than a mere Falcon).

Monsoon
Electric Mayhem
Contributing Editor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #987 on: May 10, 2014, 01:55:06 PM »

Right before chapter 20 in Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance.  This is slowly turning into my favorite game in the series.  Keep in mind I've only beaten 4, 6, 7, and 8 before.  4 and 6 were translated ROMs, the other two were English-language GBA carts. 

Promoted Ike is such a boss.  I love how his stance is cooler and more relaxed; way better than his weird one-handed overhead stance from before.  It makes him look like a fuckin' Jedi Knight, and he's still hilariously OP.  My army's MVPs are definitely Astrid and Nephenee, with Jill and Oscar rounding out my four best non-Lords; Aeolus wasn't kidding when he said that the collection of mounted units in this game was awesome.  I'm sorta regretting training Zihark instead of Makalov.  If I ever replay this game (which is a possibility) then I'll definitely give Makalov and Marcia a shot.  Didn't really give them a shot this time around, unfortunately. 

Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #988 on: May 10, 2014, 02:16:30 PM »

Got the Geneforge collection in the weekend sale at GOG. The game is really fun so far but the gameplay doesn't seem complex enough at the moment to stay enjoyable for 40+ hours. Dunno, I could be wrong.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 04:15:42 PM by Darilon » Logged

Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #989 on: May 10, 2014, 05:05:45 PM »

Right before chapter 20 in Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance.  This is slowly turning into my favorite game in the series.  Keep in mind I've only beaten 4, 6, 7, and 8 before.  4 and 6 were translated ROMs, the other two were English-language GBA carts. 

Promoted Ike is such a boss.  I love how his stance is cooler and more relaxed; way better than his weird one-handed overhead stance from before.  It makes him look like a fuckin' Jedi Knight, and he's still hilariously OP.  My army's MVPs are definitely Astrid and Nephenee, with Jill and Oscar rounding out my four best non-Lords; Aeolus wasn't kidding when he said that the collection of mounted units in this game was awesome.  I'm sorta regretting training Zihark instead of Makalov.  If I ever replay this game (which is a possibility) then I'll definitely give Makalov and Marcia a shot.  Didn't really give them a shot this time around, unfortunately. 

So did you decide to give Ike an Occult Scroll or are you going to give him Wrath + something else (unfortunately Resolve doesn't come soon enough, though you could still give it to him for the final boss)?

Also did you hire/promote Volke? With Assassin Volke, you'll never want for Physic Staffs again starting soon enough.

Also did you get the Knight's Ring?

Also did you have Rolf talk to Shinon before killing him off with Ike or did you just kill him off instead?

Also do you have an A-ranked Support between Jill and either Mist or Lethe? Because if not, then you better not let her near Chapter 20's boss, or you will regret it.

Anyways, Devdan is basically your Male Halberdier/not-Hero and more of a joke character to a certain respect, his best aspect are his supports but otherwise Nephenee is pretty much better in all the important aspects. Tanith though is awesome and should be used. Her skill Reinforce is exclusive to her and is pretty good all things considering (summoning redshirts is quite useful when in need of a distraction or something and the Falcon Knights are pretty solid for the better part of the game), also if Mist doesn't turn out or doesn't build her Sword Rank high enough, Tanith is the second best Magic Sword user in the game, also she's mounted and sports an Earth support (and can even support Oscar along with Ike for Maximum Avoid) making her really useful in general. Reyson is your Dancer of the game, but because he's also a Laguz when he transforms he gains almost twice as much Move as before and the ability to Refresh up to Four Units, stick the Knight's Ring you get during his joining stage on him and watch him turn into a Mounted Dancer once he transforms. As for Janaff & Ulki, of all the not Dragon/Royal Laguz you get in this game, Ulki is among the most usable given his Skill which automatically provides him with a flat +20 boost to Avoid, sure his damage output isn't that hot, but he can dodge tank with the best of them, unfortunately Janaff is far less interesting in terms of performance since his Skill only improves Hit which is not that big of a deal in this game. Shinon is basically what you'd have if you bothered to raise Rolf, he's not bad, but he's still stuck as a Sniper and Provoke is no longer something you'd want on him (plus the S-ranked Bow of this game both sucks and blows, its almost as bad as the Sol Katti). And Calill is who I've been referring to as the game's best magic user. She comes as a Sage with about as much Str, Mag, and Spd as Ilyana and Soren would have at her level along with B-ranks in all three Anima Magic types (with a preference towards Fire) and the other Dark support affinity (which is the second best support affinity in the game). Her Skill Nihil isn't that useful though due to enemies rarely having Skills to begin with, but it can be nice on some bosses, and the one thing that holds her back from being the best Magic user in the game is her choice of Knives (utterly useless in any Sage's hands and she'd have to compete with Volke for Baselard, i.e. the only Knife in the game that isn't complete shit) over Staffs (Mist, Rhys, and one other are your only default Staff users in the game, and this in the first game since FE5 to be generous with the good Staffs), the tl;dr is that its worth bringing up a Mage just to have a Staff user that can also use Magic, otherwise they'd be completely irrelevant compared to Calill.

Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 170 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: