Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 24, 2014, 12:28:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332067 Posts in 13604 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  A Game Journal Reborn
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 133 Print
Author Topic: A Game Journal Reborn  (Read 54333 times)
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #990 on: May 10, 2014, 05:41:28 PM »

Unfortunately, I killed Shinon and didn't get the Knight's Ring.  A few crows died and I saved without knowing what's up.  I have an earlier save that's just before chapter 18, and I'm considering redoing it to get Shinon and the ring. 

Volke *just* promoted, and I wish I had known about it beforehand.  He was at level 15 or 16 before promotion; should have gotten him up to 20.  Might try reloading back to ch.18 and using some BEXP on him. 

Mist is up to a B-ranked support with Jill, and I think I'll have it at A rank soon.  I haven't really jumped into chapter 20 yet, but probably will later tonight.  I also haven't recruited Calill yet, but I'll probably use her.  She supports both Nephenee and Tormod, and I use both of them. 

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #991 on: May 10, 2014, 09:22:00 PM »

I picked up Monster Hunter Portable 3rd HD and J-Stars Victory for PS3 yesterday. I've been fooling around with them. J-Stars is great fun.

It's a damn shame it will never get released in the west.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #992 on: May 10, 2014, 10:10:09 PM »

Unfortunately, I killed Shinon and didn't get the Knight's Ring.  A few crows died and I saved without knowing what's up.  I have an earlier save that's just before chapter 18, and I'm considering redoing it to get Shinon and the ring. 

Volke *just* promoted, and I wish I had known about it beforehand.  He was at level 15 or 16 before promotion; should have gotten him up to 20.  Might try reloading back to ch.18 and using some BEXP on him. 

Mist is up to a B-ranked support with Jill, and I think I'll have it at A rank soon.  I haven't really jumped into chapter 20 yet, but probably will later tonight.  I also haven't recruited Calill yet, but I'll probably use her.  She supports both Nephenee and Tormod, and I use both of them. 

Yeah. I forgot to mention that he promotes at around the same time as Ike does. Still, I wouldn't worry too much since it pretty much only means a few more points in HP and Luk for him since he'll ram his Str, Skl, and Spd caps and still have crap Def and Res either way.

Shinon's recruitment is a pain in the ass either way and he really isn't worth it since in order to get him, you must first bring Rolf along, which basically means that either A) you're bringing a liability along for an entire chapter (one with a Siege Asshat ready to snipe anyone from a distance), or B) you've been pouring resources into Rolf with the intent of using him and there's literally no need for two Snipers (and hardly any need for one given Astrid's presence), especially since both turn out about the same.

Also, a heads up about Chapter 22. Don't kill any of the Priests if you want the game's S-ranked Staff (and a bunch of BExp), though their possessions are up for grabs.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
mecharobot

Thunder of the dogs! INDIGNATION

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #993 on: May 11, 2014, 12:01:19 AM »

Since I'm mostly bored, I've done some more backlog cleaning. This time playing Dragon Warrior II (aka Dragon Quest if you prefer). I have absolutely no reason to play it except that I have this idea that one day I'll complete the games through I-IX (I've played I and VIII). Certainly there are better ones to choose from, but I don't always function in very rational ways so I'm going to progress this one for now. It is kind of cool that this is actually a sequel to the first game and that you can visit the continent where the first took place. Now I'm off to collect some crests and of course grind until I can grind no more. I'm not sure if I've encountered any metal slimes yet, but hopefully they aren't as useless for exp as they were in the first game.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #994 on: May 11, 2014, 05:59:04 AM »

@ Darilon: I have comments on Geneforge at the end of the message. I wrote them in the future. So they're not up here.

San Andreas - This is a long, exasperated sigh of a game. Because its setting is wonderful, the atmosphere is spot-on, what they achieved with the limited means they had here is /astonishing/, and it's a complete joy to explore.

But then you keep running into the story missions. They're not /hard/ per se. They're just poorly designed and miserable and they don't fit in the game at all. I give up on this thing.

Did see some videos on Youtube of Saint's Row 3 running reasonably well on hardware that's comparable to mine, so I figured it'd work okay for me. Turns out nope.

--- edit ---

Messed around with GTA4 a bit. Definitely like the driving physics here -- the cars don't fly around like cardboard boxes made of flight when you crash into anything. Although I guess the weird card handling in SA is an artifact of the skill system.

--- edit 2 ---

Did the first Samedi mission in Saint's Row 2 and once you get used to it it's totally playable at like 8FPS. Also did something where my dude set himself on fire and drove into other dudes. I imagine SR3 would be too except that makes my system overheat.

Anyway SR2 doesn't really seem to require (and actively discourages maybe) the kind of precise driving that San Andreas does. As another counterpoint to SA, I like how SR2 has stuff to do on every block or so, that you can find by just wandering around and discovering it. Yeah, the story missions are relegated to particular quest giver sites, but it doesn't feel like you run out of stuff to do during the free roaming bits -- also you build up, uh, points to start the next story mission during free roam anyway so it feels like a more effective metagame, and not a situation where the story and free roam are completely divorced?

That's something that Bethesda definitely go right from Morrowind onwards -- you still get questlines from guilds, but you can also get quests from other NPCs that are just /hangin' around/ in places (There are some issues with this though -- I'll talk about those in a second). Similarly, finding Stars/area bosses/loot in Suik 3 just hanging out in places while I go off and explore has been a really joyful experience.

Anyway.

@ Darilon:

Geneforge 1 has a lot more to it if you play as a Pokemon master, and considerably less if you play as a fighter dude, in which case I think you're just going to be soloing stuff with melee a lot.

One thing I DID find offputting about Geneforge was that it had a very rigid get quest -> do quest -> clear out all the monsters in the map in the process structure to it. They're varied and not really fetch quests and the story is SUPER interesting, but there's a LOT of combat and you really do tend to have to systematically explore maps -- and I felt like the systematicity was a huge problem with Morrowind, as well. Like I said above, it rewards exploration, but it never quite hits the organic level of gameplay progression that some RPGs get because you eventually have to start taking a systematic approach to exploration.

Anyway, Geneforge's maps are reasonably sized and fairly interesting. It just DOES get kind of much, especially on maps where you have traps slowing your down. It's like eating too much fried cheese, for the soul.

But it's definitely a good game -- just one you'll probably want to play in bursts instead of marathons.

Future Geneforge games are supposed deeper for some reason. I think 3 was not well liked. I never really got to them because my dog died like a week after I got the Geneforge pack.

As an aside, Suikoden 3 feels really organic to me in the sense that the map will sometimes open up a new location, which is a huge flag to go check it out, but when you do, maybe you go to the trade good shop and see that VdZ has really cheap crystal balls and oh hey I can sell those at Duck Hollow for a lot, so you head over there, meat a new star on the way,pawn the crystal balls, buy soy sauce for caleria, and oh hey the area boss respawned and now I get to fight it.

I wanna say that to hit the kind of organic gameplay progression I'm talking about, you need some kind of side activity that can entice you into exploring beyond just exploring for exploration's sake. Xenoblade's fetch quests were actually a really good example of this, in the sense that, while they were straightforward, they encouraged you to explore while doing them, but in the process you'd invariably find OTHER stuff to do.

It's like a cascading progression --  doing one activity leads to another, but without activity A being a prerequisite for Activity B, just something that puts you in the vicinity of Activity B so you can pick up on it on your own.

Neither Geneforge or Morrowind were particularly good about doing this from what I remember. The quests tended to take you to areas that had a lot of loot if you felt like exploring, but... you always kind of expected it to be there, hence the rote exploration and the sense of discovery being sort of diminished, and it never really led to new events or something unexpected. Also I /seem/ to recall Geneforge having a pretty 1:1 quest to area ratio.

... Actually one area where San Andreas sort of does this is with the tagging locations, since the story missions take you by a lot of them, although from what I've seen you can't always get out and start tagging during the missions so it's more like a oh hey have fun stressing out over remembering where this ting is for later deal.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 10:00:58 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #995 on: May 11, 2014, 09:33:55 AM »

The Witch and the Hundred Knight

Finished the first ending last night. Working towards the second ending now, hopefully I'll get there tonight. I am having a strange relationship with this game. Objectively, I recognize it as a very mediocre game. But there's so much here that I guess you could say 'resonates' with me that I can't get enough of it; in fact, I'm absolutely obsessed with it. Number one reason is that Metallia is my new favorite video game character. But I also am having fun with the combat, the story is pretty interesting, and I dig the music too.

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #996 on: May 11, 2014, 10:59:35 PM »

Played some Wild Arms 4. Pleasant as always...I may be tempted to speed running this game. This game is not at all difficult to pick up once you understand most battles go like this:

Is it Raquel's turn? --> Yes; Can you use Intrude? Yes -> Use intrude # of times allowed + attack. Repeat
                           --> No --> Statboost Raquel/debuff enemy. Make it Raquel's turn.

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #997 on: May 12, 2014, 07:00:30 AM »

Finished the first ending last night. Working towards the second ending now, hopefully I'll get there tonight. I am having a strange relationship with this game. Objectively, I recognize it as a very mediocre game. But there's so much here that I guess you could say 'resonates' with me that I can't get enough of it; in fact, I'm absolutely obsessed with it. Number one reason is that Metallia is my new favorite video game character. But I also am having fun with the combat, the story is pretty interesting, and I dig the music too.
Huh, I just started the game over the weekend and have hit Chapter 5. So far I am enjoying it, but I can't say I really care for Metallia. Kind of doubt I'll ever really care for her....considering the ending for chapter 1. And that reminds me, so far it really bugs me that every character in the game is basically either evil or a complete jerk (or both) except for the dog knight. It sort of fits for the game, but it is annoying that I barely have any characters I can root for.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #998 on: May 12, 2014, 08:21:25 AM »

I started playing Aveyong: Lord of Twilight and I have one huge weird complaint.

The walking.

You walk slowly.
There's no running.
The maps are decently sized.
There's rubble everywhere so you can't straight line anywhere.
The first 2 hours of the game for now have been fetch quests.

Is there a way to hack running into an RPGmaker game?
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #999 on: May 12, 2014, 09:48:23 AM »

Huh, I just started the game over the weekend and have hit Chapter 5. So far I am enjoying it, but I can't say I really care for Metallia. Kind of doubt I'll ever really care for her....considering the ending for chapter 1. And that reminds me, so far it really bugs me that every character in the game is basically either evil or a complete jerk (or both) except for the dog knight. It sort of fits for the game, but it is annoying that I barely have any characters I can root for.

See, I like how the game never goes the usual route of giving Metallia a sympathetic reason for being a vile psychopath other than "that's how witches are," but still manages to make her a sympathetic character DESPITE being an amoral monster. (At least I thought so)

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
SonicDeathMonkey

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1000 on: May 12, 2014, 10:05:34 AM »

Finally bought Dark Souls because my friend wouldn't shut up about it ("IT'S THE BEST GAME EVER YOU HAVE TO PLAY IT"). It does seem like something that is right up my alley, though.
Other than that, I bought Beyond Good & Evil and Doom II from XBLA, and I'm having a blast replaying both..
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1001 on: May 12, 2014, 11:51:31 AM »

See, I like how the game never goes the usual route of giving Metallia a sympathetic reason for being a vile psychopath other than "that's how witches are," but still manages to make her a sympathetic character DESPITE being an amoral monster. (At least I thought so)

I think the bigger question here is "does a protagonist need to be sympathetic?". I mean, just look at Death Note's protagonist Light Yagami. There's nothing even remotely sympathetic (even his name is unsympathetic as hell) about the guy but he's still entertaining with his "Just as planned." routine. Then you have Samus Aran who, up until Other M, only had backstory in supplemental material. The rest of the time, you're playing a character that looks like a robot on the surface.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1002 on: May 12, 2014, 12:40:43 PM »

I'd say no to that question.
I don't see how likability(or being sympathetic) automatically makes a good character. That's something that helps but it's hardly what determines the quality of said character from a writing perspective, there are more fundamental aspects like motivations/backstory or others. Likewise the lack of likability is also not necessarily a flaw from a narrative/writing perspective, what if you want to portray someone whose nature is unlikable to begin with or someone with a certain personality that may not involve that trait..
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 12:45:02 PM by Holykael1 » Logged

kofvscapcom
Rereveagence

kofvscapcom
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1003 on: May 12, 2014, 08:30:56 PM »

dota 2 international qualifiers started, bought a compendium and time to just grind for points.

Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1004 on: May 12, 2014, 09:59:56 PM »

Okay.

I think San Andreas just won me over.

Drove around the coast for awhile. There are some high hills that I can launch myself off of. I need to do that. Tagged some stuff. Saw a plane crash out by the Vinewood sign.

I did some train mission with Ryder, Cesar Vlapcarjumpy, and some rail shooter mission that the mod I'm using added. These missions were relatively fun in their own right. Best part it the thing that happened next.

I was driving back from the Cesar mission, and some Ballas started shooting at me, so I stop and get out so I can kill them and take their machine gun ammo. Because I need it. Anyway, in doing this, I bump some guys car, and he goes into road rage mode. I get back after killing the dudes, and he's just doing donuts around my car. I try to drive off and he keeps ramming me. Eventually I get to a bridge, he rams me again, and the car catches on fire.

I jump out and start running. Other guy doesn't. Some other driver rams the wreck. Cops show up. At this point my car explodes, and triggers a chain reaction of like three or four explosions. Bunch of headless bodies lying around. Ambulances show up and can't do anything. Firetruck shows up to put out the fires, hose down some guy instead -- and I think they kill him in the process.

And then one of the Homies that was walking around hijacks the fire truck.

Meanwhile I'm just standing there like what.

--- edit ---

wrt comments about San Andreas above, are there any open-ended fantasy RPGs that... have stuff like that? Emergent situations stemming from unpredictable combinations of individual actors with predictable actions? STALKER and Space Rangers 2 did a really good job of that. I think that's one of the bigger issues with Hardwar from what I remember -- stuff never seems to escalate between "pirate attacks trader."

Saint's Row 2 - Did some bike race on the mountains. BARELY got gold after a few tries. Probably easier when you can run the game at more than 8FPS ;;;) Also bought my dude some bug antennae.

This game is really fun to just wander around and people watch in, because, like Amalur, they have a LOT of little idle animations.

Suikoden 3 - Up to Chisha Village. I like how both the mountain villages looked super tiny from the outset but then have more normal-town-sized subterranean bits. Also there aren't any runespeople in this village FACK.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 12:18:27 AM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 133 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: