Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 05:26:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334830 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  A Game Journal Reborn
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 153 Print
Author Topic: A Game Journal Reborn  (Read 63849 times)
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1005 on: May 13, 2014, 01:01:17 AM »

Can you put Jeane in your party? She is a rune sage.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Reta

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1006 on: May 13, 2014, 01:44:08 AM »

I've been working on Romancing Saga 3. Having not played any of the other games in the series first, it was initially a little confusing but I think I have the hang of it now.

Also, I do not know of any other RPG where you get to recruit a lobster martial artist. Or do this.well except maybe ff7 but this came first
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1007 on: May 13, 2014, 01:59:28 AM »

Can you put Jeane in your party? She is a rune sage.

As a Support Character you can have her around, but she won't fight.

Anyways, I've just finished my No Grind, Ephraim Hard Mode run of FE8. Party I brought with me to the final battle consisted of:

Ephraim: Got Str screwed early on and had only recently started to turn it around. Caped Skl. Got a paired ending with L'Arachel and a B-rank with Kyle. And ended the game at level 8.

Eirika: Turned out mostly like she normally would but hit a Spd drought right at the end. Got a paired ending with Seth and a B-rank with Saleh. Ended the game at level 11.

Natasha: Got ridiculously blessed Def wise and promoted really fucking early, also managed to squeeze an S-rank out of Light magic. Has a B-rank with Franz. Ended the game at level 15.

Seth: Lost steam at the end but his ridiculous Spd blessing made the Seth bomb a force to be reckoned with even then. Capped Spd. Got a paired ending with Eirika and B-rank wtih Franz. Ended the game at level 19 (thanks to eating a lot of boss kills along the way).

Franz: Serviceable, but nothing thrilling, the fact that he was Seth's wingman and fairly sturdy saved him from the bench. Has a B-rank with both Seth and Natasha. Ended the game at level 11.

Garcia: Got ridiculously lucky early on and built up some amazing Skl and serviceable Spd and Def by promotion which turned him into a mainstay. Capped Str. Has an A-rank with Neimi. Ended the game at level 13.

Neimi: Ridiculously fast, too bad the rest of stats fell behind, if Garcia hadn't turned out as well as he did they both would've gotten benched, though Long Bow access helped immensely. Has an A-rank with Garcia and a B-rank with Colm. Ended the game at level 12.

Cormag: I didn't start using him until the desert chapter and I kinda regret it as he rammed his Str cap and is one of my physically tankier units (although magic makes him its bitch with his nonexistent Res). Capped Str. Has a C-rank with Artur and Duessel. Ended the game at level 9.

L'Arachel: Took forever to promote and really wasn't worth being the backup healer but she did give Ephraim some badly needed support once Kyle got the bench. Got a paired ending with Ephraim and a C-rank with Rennac. Ended the game at level 4.

Marisa: So apparently when you Lethality someone you gain 2.5x exp for the kill, Marisa went from level 4 to 12 in the space of a single chapter (although I may have favored her somewhat given that she also managed to S-rank Swords in time for the final battle allowing me to bring in the S-ranked Sword). Ended the game at level 12.

Gerik: Figured I should bring in somebody competent to replace Kyle and Gerik was solid enough by the end of the previous chapter so I brought him instead, its a good thing his bases are so good. Has a B-rank with Saleh. Ended the game at level 7.

Saleh: Lute's HP total was/is bad so I chose to bring him in instead and he turned out better than his averages, though I really didn't need him in the end. Has a B-rank with both Eirika and Gerik. Ended the game at level 9.

And all the rest of the mainstays who ended up getting benched along the way:

Vanessa: Did fairly well throughout and even got Str blessed early on but she got HP screwed too badly to be allowed near all though dragons. Capped Spd. Has a B-rank with Lute. Ended the game at level 12.

Lute: Did well for the most part but her HP was just too low to afford bringing her to the final battle (not to mention that her Con is so low her Spd was getting murdered by anything above a Fire or Thunder tome). Has a B-rank with Venessa and a C-rank with Kyle. Ended the game at level 9.

Rennac: Took over stealing duties from Colm, though Marisa took over looting duties from him for the final battle, did well for himself though. Has a C-rank with L'Arachel. Ended the game at level 8.

Artur: I really did try to make him usable but Natasha's headstart was more than he could surmount, and he was doing fairly well for himself even. Has a C-rank with Cormag. Ended the game at level 7.

Kyle: He was starting to lag when I finally decided to bench him even though he was a long time supporter of Ephraim. Has a B-rank with Ephraim and C-ranks with Forde and Lute. Ended the game at level 6.

Colm: Last of my regulars for the run and was way behind everyone else in levels (thanks to his lousy Str) but just beginning to pull away from his averages when Rennac showed up. Has a B-rank with Neimi. Did not even get to promote.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1008 on: May 13, 2014, 02:30:15 AM »

Finally bought Dark Souls because my friend wouldn't shut up about it ("IT'S THE BEST GAME EVER YOU HAVE TO PLAY IT").

Demon's Souls is still the better game in my book. And I've put hundreds of hours into Dark Souls.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1009 on: May 13, 2014, 04:14:28 AM »

Recently bought, played, and beat Kirby Triple Deluxe

= I went in wanting to poo all over it.  Return to Dreamland was pretty good, but ultimately somewhat annoying by the end (the stupid black hole levels and monsters were better at causing frustration and anxiety than providing any sort of 'fun' or real challenge out of it). I also miss good ol' Super Star and its sense of SPEED and fun.  I miss unique catches to abilities like Kirby64 had or teaming up with partners (I hope they bring that back one day, actually).

= I came out really enjoying it nonetheless.  It has flaws, but after that last two titles left a bad taste in my mouth ("Return to" and "Mass Attack"), this hit all the right itches that I wanted to see from previous titles I liked.  The collectables aren't *nearly* as frustrating as the gears were in Return to Dreamland; I actually found the less impressive (and more "optional") keychains waaay trickier to find in fact.

= Abilities are somewhat a hit or miss. 
-- I wish 'Beam' would stop joining the fray: It's boring, it's weak, it needs time to charge.
-- The 'Bomb' ability is ....surprisingly weak, despite its title.
-- 'Leaf' is back.  It looks cool, but it's a pain in the ass.  I'm actually sad 'Water' is missing (but I guess 'Ice' subs in for all intents and purposes).
--- HOWEVER.  All the new abilities kick ass!!! Fucking CIRCUS is awesome for having a ton of invincibility frames, Bell can shield against almost any attack, Beetle is a CRAZY KILLER (and boss ruiner), and Arrow Kirby is a ton of fun and completely badass.

= Musically: What the fuck.  Ew.  It either hits right on, or completely misses with some boring and unmemorable tune that just becomes background noise.  I don't get it, Kirby games used to have such a sweet and distinct sound... I enjoyed the final boss tunes and new iterations of the older stuff.  But I'm really disappointed here.

= Graphically: Perfect.  I'm especially keen on the Hypernova segments.  They go on a bit, but I *LOVE* seeing Kirby suck in anything and everything in more and more outrageous ways.  I love how everything reacts to what you do (there's a ton of active objects on screen to destroy/interact with), levels are bright and interesting, and the variety is wonderful.

= The final segment was beautifully done and a lot of fun (although not terribly difficult).  The final world was a bit boring though.  Too much of it was a rehash of older stuff.  I like the "challenge yourself" idea (y'know, where they take the main obstacles from past stages and lump 'em all into one level).

= Kirby is a bit of a dick.  Uprooting trees and inhaling enemies WHOLE?  Damn Kirb, settle your ass!

= In a true "friendship is magic" way, I love how Kirby seems to be good at befriending his enemies.  Poor guy is chasing Dedede around to save him!

= Eugh, I hated the bosses this time around (both mini-bosses and world bosses).  They're not TOO hard, but they really don't leave you much time to attack them since they hop between planes so much and are pretty unpredictable (good news is that they're better than ever good at "dropping stars" to hit them with).

= The extra modes are fun.  Well except that rhythm game.... I don't know what I'm doing and how....and ...um what? grr.

= Very good title overall.  Its got issues, but it's a solid Kirby game from someone who's a fan of the series (but not enough a fan to fall in love with *all* titles :P ).  I can't wait for another!  I wish this series was pumped out like Mario games are.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1010 on: May 13, 2014, 06:45:43 AM »

My younger cousins/nephews/nieces LOVE the Kirby games. I actually played some Return to Dreamland yesterday because J. (age 3) wanted to show his new games (actually his brother's) to me. He played a bit of the first level, then handed the controller to his mom for the harder parts (by a three year old's standards that is). I helped out too.

Epic Yarn is still everyone's favourite, though. It's just so cute and fun and unique.
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1011 on: May 13, 2014, 07:02:12 AM »

The Witch and the Hundred Knight

Finished the first ending last night. Working towards the second ending now, hopefully I'll get there tonight. I am having a strange relationship with this game. Objectively, I recognize it as a very mediocre game. But there's so much here that I guess you could say 'resonates' with me that I can't get enough of it; in fact, I'm absolutely obsessed with it. Number one reason is that Metallia is my new favorite video game character. But I also am having fun with the combat, the story is pretty interesting, and I dig the music too.
Huh, I just started the game over the weekend and have hit Chapter 5. So far I am enjoying it, but I can't say I really care for Metallia. Kind of doubt I'll ever really care for her....considering the ending for chapter 1. And that reminds me, so far it really bugs me that every character in the game is basically either evil or a complete jerk (or both) except for the dog knight. It sort of fits for the game, but it is annoying that I barely have any characters I can root for.

See, I like how the game never goes the usual route of giving Metallia a sympathetic reason for being a vile psychopath other than "that's how witches are," but still manages to make her a sympathetic character DESPITE being an amoral monster. (At least I thought so)

I think the bigger question here is "does a protagonist need to be sympathetic?". I mean, just look at Death Note's protagonist Light Yagami. There's nothing even remotely sympathetic (even his name is unsympathetic as hell) about the guy but he's still entertaining with his "Just as planned." routine. Then you have Samus Aran who, up until Other M, only had backstory in supplemental material. The rest of the time, you're playing a character that looks like a robot on the surface.
Protagonist? No, you can certainly have unsympathetic protagonists, but if the main character is an asshole, there should be someone else in the cast that you can root for otherwise, at least for me, the story just gets boring and you end up with a modern horror movie where you just want every character in the cast to keel over and when you get to the point of wanting everyone to keel over, then the story becomes torture to get through if the cast is not dropping like flies.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1012 on: May 13, 2014, 07:40:18 AM »

= In a true "friendship is magic" way, I love how Kirby seems to be good at befriending his enemies.  Poor guy is chasing Dedede around to save him!

Wait wha?
Kirby used to be a huge jerk. What happened to him =/
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1013 on: May 13, 2014, 08:13:45 AM »

Played some Hearthstone during my break and opened a new pack. The result: one legendary (Sylvanas Windrunner!), one epic, one, rare, one golden common, one common.

Today is a good day.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1014 on: May 13, 2014, 09:22:44 AM »

Anyone here looking forward to Wolfenstein: The New Order this month?

Think I'm the only one in this parts excited for it.
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1015 on: May 13, 2014, 09:36:37 AM »

Not much of a shooter fan, but I have to admit the trailers have been pretty fantastic lately.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1016 on: May 13, 2014, 11:17:57 AM »

On the last boss in EOIV. Trying to gather some supplies to last the fight.

Started playing Alpha Protocol. This game is pretty good as long as you're playing the stealth correctly.

I'm getting killed in the combat though.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1017 on: May 13, 2014, 02:12:34 PM »

A pretty interesting Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones character discussion / playthrough recap

I'm a little surprised that Lute didn't work out, because I consider her one of the most RNG-proof characters.  In my two playthroughs she and Ewan were definitely the two best magic users. 

I'm less surprised that you didn't use any of the trainee characters, because, well, Hard Mode.  I think that Amelia and Ewan are two of the best non-Lords in FE8, but I imagine that raising an Est character in a Hard Mode run isn't worth it. 

And I'm jealous of your good Garcia.  In both of my runs Garcia couldn't get Speed or Skill at all.  FE8 isn't the best game for axe users in general - you either need to put hard time into Ross, make Gerik a Hero, use Dozla or Duessel, or promote one of your cavs into a Great Knight.  Sheesh, Gerik might be the best option. 

Anyhow, after reading all that I'm going to go hard back into Fire Emblem.  I took a few days off of Path of Radiance, but I'll crash back into it tonight.  Just recruited Tauroneo and used my Occult scrolls on Ike, Volke, and Oscar.  i.e. my three best units that don't already have a good skill built in (not counting Jill, because Stun doesn't seem very useful at all).  I might even finally try Hector Hard in FE7.  That's less likely, though.  FE7's my favorite, but I don't want it stressing me out. 

Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1018 on: May 13, 2014, 02:14:44 PM »

Played some Hearthstone during my break and opened a new pack. The result: one legendary (Sylvanas Windrunner!), one epic, one, rare, one golden common, one common.

Today is a good day.

After an extra win in play mode I had enough gold to buy a pack. The contents weren't as epic as the last one, but I did get a golden Shadow Form.

Oh and I totally destroyed a hunter with the Ragnaros I Thoughtstole from him.

Today is very good day.
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1019 on: May 13, 2014, 03:47:12 PM »

Absolutely loving Geneforge. I have been lying my ass off to everyone I can thanks to my high leadership which allowed me free passage through otherwise difficult areas. Things are progressing really nicely.

Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 153 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: