Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 31, 2014, 03:51:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327872 Posts in 13423 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  A Game Journal Reborn
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 105 Print
Author Topic: A Game Journal Reborn  (Read 35132 times)
mecharobot

Thunder of the dogs! INDIGNATION

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1065 on: May 17, 2014, 04:52:56 AM »

Things don't always go as planned, so instead of going with my personal priority gaming projects, I decided to join a multiplayer veteran difficulty run in Torchlight II. Just "finished" it today. I think the story is finished at least, but I might return do some bonus maps. Of course I wasn't really paying attention to the story and aesthetic detail too much, so I'm going to roll a solo character sooned or later and explore the game a bit more in my own pace. As for this run, I played Outlander with a shotgun build and was at level 51 or 52 at the end. Overall, a very nice ARPG, even if it doesn't really seem to breathe as much life in the genre as I had hoped. The art design is cartoony (not a flaw, but has become too much of a staple), there are some interface issues (which can be fixed with mods to an extent) and seriously playing anything beyond nooblord level will require heavy button remapping. Also the loading times can be a pain, especially with mods and will require much patience when playing with another person.
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1066 on: May 17, 2014, 07:04:50 AM »

So I just finished Chapter 11 of Witch and the Hundred Knight......and wtf? This game......I just don't know what to say about it. That was a plot twist completely out of left field which has just me going da fuq?
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1067 on: May 17, 2014, 07:16:22 AM »

Yeah, it does that and I'm still not sure why. I kinda admire they dared to go with a twist like that, but it causes some serious problems for the storyline and game in general.

+ Post-game is important to the storyline and not just some tacked on collection of bosses
- The game doesn't have a proper ending unless you do all the post-game stuff. Which sucks if you're in it for the story, because that game cheats. Difficulty shoots up because post-game. Good luck getting anywhere without some grinding. Plus, most of it is basically 'go fuck shit up and hope you trigger an event'. That's only fun in theory.
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1068 on: May 17, 2014, 08:50:48 AM »

So I just finished Chapter 11 of Witch and the Hundred Knight......and wtf? This game......I just don't know what to say about it. That was a plot twist completely out of left field which has just me going da fuq?

I know I say this ALL THE TIME, but holy wow... It took me over a month to get that far. Mind you, I was playing other stuff as well for most of that time, but even then... wow. I am REALLY slow at games. It makes me completely jealous of anyone who isn't.

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1069 on: May 17, 2014, 07:05:46 PM »

Just finished Mass Effect (got the Renegade Ending), and it was everything it was cracked up to be. Just moved on to Mass Effect 2 and despite some minor annoyances, it's looking like it might be even better. We switched our classes to be more Ability oriented, though. I'm gonna miss that shotgun.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1070 on: May 17, 2014, 10:57:35 PM »

BLACK KNIGHT DOWN! BLACK KNIGHT DOWN!

'twas easy.  All it took was an Ike with four maxed stats and near-max HP and an incredibly over-prepared Mist.  He only used Luna once (I was at max, thank goodness) and Ike finished him off with the only Aether skill of the mission.  Great stuff.  

One shameful thing: both Ike and Mist gained a level in this fight.  Both levels had zero stat gains.  Ike has four maxed stats and Mist has two maxed stats, but I'm still a little bummed....
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 10:59:06 PM by Monsoon » Logged

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1071 on: May 18, 2014, 12:04:38 AM »

Just Cause 2 - Played around with this for a few hours and HOW IS THIS RUNNING SO WELL ON MY LAPTOP.

Suik 3 - Finished Hugo Ch. 3. That was short :< Started Thomas Ch. 2. Gonna do Chris, then Geddoe, then Thomash Ch. 3, then the rest of the game I think.

Also I installed hacked Intel HD drivers. Maybe Hardwar will work with these, idk. Saint's Row 2 seems a little faster on them.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1072 on: May 18, 2014, 01:01:52 AM »

Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology -  Apparently I am far behind in my crafting skills.  I get requests for gold and I can't even make silver, or I get requests for food with crafting requirements 40 more than my current ability.  I am also really bad about the one on one challenges.  They spam arte attacks and beat my ass down.  I can only beat some of them after leveling up 20 lvls.  I find the main story battles to be easy.  Perhaps it is because I am trying to do all the extra stuff first. 

Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief
ultra7k

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1073 on: May 18, 2014, 03:32:57 AM »

Powered up the Vita to see where I was in Trails in the Sky, and ended up playing for a few hours again for the first time in 9 months. I love the bracer book thing, as it allowed me to retrace most of my steps.

Off to look for a cure for a party member! I am told the local church priest knows of one, so away I go!
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1074 on: May 18, 2014, 04:04:09 AM »

Beat up the Anthropoid in Ys Origin. Admittedly its much easier to take down as Hugo versus Yunica since he really doesn't need to hop onto his back to damage him and his traps can't knock it back which means they can do a shitton of damage in a short amount of time. Onward to the plot mandated unwinable boss fight (yes, I know you can win it; no, I don't intend to since the deck is heavily stacked against you and each try forces you to sit through an assload of unskippable cutscenes).

BLACK KNIGHT DOWN! BLACK KNIGHT DOWN!

'twas easy.  All it took was an Ike with four maxed stats and near-max HP and an incredibly over-prepared Mist.  He only used Luna once (I was at max, thank goodness) and Ike finished him off with the only Aether skill of the mission.  Great stuff.  

One shameful thing: both Ike and Mist gained a level in this fight.  Both levels had zero stat gains.  Ike has four maxed stats and Mist has two maxed stats, but I'm still a little bummed....

Eh. You win some, you lose some. You were probably bound to eat an empty level or two after gaming so many of the other levels. The big thing is now you get to have the good Dragon around for the final boss fight.

And speaking of which. Nasir and Ena. For all intents and purposes the two are mostly interchangeable aside from their base level, their base stats, their transformation bonuses, and their skills. While Ena is the lower leveled of the two Dragons, in this case the potential to eventually surpass Nasir's stats with her growths puts her at a disadvantage compared to her grandfather since there isn't enough time or Exp left in the game to bridge the gap in stats (plus Dragons are fucking slooow; they have the same Move as Knights do, and as much as a General when transformed, and it takes a good while before they can actually transform). Moreover, while her Renewal skill is slightly better than Nihil, her laguz transformation bonuses are significantly worse (she gets 1 more Spd than Nasir does from his transformation but she gains less stats in Def, Skl, and in the case of Str, she only gets half of his bonus). Hence why Nasir is the better of the two. His bases are straight up better than hers (he's got 7 points of Spd up on her) and his transformation bonus is so good that he'll be roughly on par with a fully transformed Ena just with the Demi Band. More importantly though is that by transforming properly, Nasir can actually attack Ashnard and not get doubled by him in return.

Granted this isn't that big of a deal in Normal/Easy Mode since you'll get your final recruit (think Gotoh archetype) by like the second turn of the Final Chapter and between whomever you choose and Ike, Ashnard will go down quick enough. But in Hard (and Maniac in the JP version), that recruit doesn't show up until you force Ashnard into his second form and without a good Dragon it's basically going to come down to Ike versus Ashnard while the rest try to not die/let the squishy healer patching Ike up die/get too far away from Ike.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1075 on: May 18, 2014, 08:22:15 AM »

So finished The Witch and the Hundred Knight yesterday.....and I do not like any of the endings that this game has.

Code:
So closest thing to an ending that I liked was the normal ending because the Knight basically just went F all this nonsense, I have better stuff to do than screw around with all of you. The "true" ending is just complete wtf? The game was crude throughout the entire thing, but killing at least one princess by rape? Having a minor unimportant character be some kind of evil mastermind or I guess cruel fatalist might be more accurate? Despite the fact that he never acts like this or hints that he was like that (oh plus he killed his entire village). It was just wtf for the sake of wtf. Oh and one of the very few likable characters was killed (possibly by rape), and yeah this was just complete bs.

Then we move on to the "bad" ending. In this ending all the characters in the game get happy endings.....except for the likable characters. Okay I am exaggerating, the pumpkin witch gets the closest thing to a happy ending she can get, Visco is returned to life (and she gets her wish for Metallia to come back to life, which makes no sense), but we never find out what happens to the fog witch and.....okay I think that is all of the likable characters. However every single asshole in the game gets a happy ending. Characters who plotted mass murder? Happy ending. Characters who were complete assholes, happy ending. Oh and the first princess? Based on what we saw happen to the other characters, she probably still remembers getting raped to death, possibly minus the death, since every other character was shown remembering the blow that killed them just not remembering that they died. So good brushing aside of that horrible wtf plot element there. So yeah, no satisfaction here. The asshole characters did not get their karmic rewards, so the ending just falls flat. Hell some characters who got their karmic rewards during the course of the game had them reversed.

The game's characters were just unpleasant and mostly irredeemable, so I regret having picked up this game. I've been losing interest in NIS games for a while and this one sealed it. Since I'm pretty sure that the next NIS game is finally going to be the Asagi one, I might pick that one up due to the never ending build up, but that is probably going to be the last one for a while.

Going back to Dynasty Warriors 8 XL now. Whoo! Grinding ahoy!

I know I say this ALL THE TIME, but holy wow... It took me over a month to get that far. Mind you, I was playing other stuff as well for most of that time, but even then... wow. I am REALLY slow at games. It makes me completely jealous of anyone who isn't.
Eh don't freak out comparing your completion time to mine. I do hack my saves a little in order to speed things up because my backlog is never ending and I want to get through all the games in my backlog as quickly as possible.
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1076 on: May 18, 2014, 11:50:03 AM »

Best Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance a little while ago.  Epilogue and credits were like 40 minutes.  Damn.  Anyhow, I thought this FE game was 100% solid.  Normal mode was much less challenging than that of FE6 or FE7, as characters seemed really powerful on average, with a few real monsters in there.  Not quite as exploitable as Sacred Stones (FE8), which is probably a good thing.  My best characters were ABSURDLY strong, but even then I had to be a little careful during the final battle.  Really smart difficulty curve.  I might revisit it in Hard Mode later, but I sorta doubt it.  I have too many other games to play.  Probably my second-favorite overall, after FE7. 

Examining the battle data at the credits revealed that I had a VERY clear-cut top nine characters: Ike, Soren, Oscar, Kieran, Astrid, Jill, Nephenee, Volke, and Tormod.  Each of those had at least 41 kills, with Ike topping it at 122.  Nobody else had more than 25.  By the endgame Mist was one of my best characters (maybe better than Astrid or Tormod), but I put a TON of BEXP and specific work into her.  Similar situation for Astrid and Tormod, but not quite as dramatic.  Those ten were the core of my team.   I also used Nasir for the last two chapters (of course) and I also used Titania, Stefan, Calill, and Geoffery for significant stretches.  Really enjoyed the cast of this Fire Emblem game. 

So that's that.  Very soon I have an 8-hours-plus flight ahead of me, so I'm going to prep up my handhelds for the trip.  I'm definitely bringing Persona 2: Innocent Sin along and probably also Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together.  Other than that I'm not sure.  I might try and replay one of the Mario & Luigi games or the first Phoenix Wright game (!).  Weirdly enough, even though I adore Mario & Luigi and Ace Attorney, I've only beaten each of those games once.  All (mental count) eight of them, not counting the 3DS titles. 

**** me I need a 3DS.  Too bad I have those pesky "adult responsibilities" getting in my way. 

Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1077 on: May 18, 2014, 08:51:31 PM »

Very VERY slowly playing through the prison level of Amnesia. I've heard it's the scariest part of the game, and I wouldn't doubt it. I really don't like the sanity meter as I'm already in a situation where it doesn't feel like I can get it to recover far enough to counter how quickly it falls at certain points. This is because of another part of the game that I thought was a bit of an oversight... I'm really stingy with tinderboxes not because I feel like I don't have enough but because you can't turn lights back out and I need places to hide.

In other gaming news I found a Legendary Rank XII Spear in Witch and the Hundred Knight and finally beat one of the bosses I was stuck on.

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
Der Jermeister

The Angry Videogame Fur

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1078 on: May 18, 2014, 09:00:14 PM »

Recently started Dragon's Crown on the Vita. Definitely my cup of tea, knowing Vanillaware was behind my all-time favorite game, Muramasa Rebirth.

Stuck on the last boss in Suikoden IV, been trying to grind in the Training Hall on the ship but got slaughtered after three or four battles with other Stars of Destiny, and I've gotten plenty of money from the encounters in Ft. El-Eal to upgrade equipment and such, so I'll try again tomorrow.

At Hollow Bastion in Kingdom Hearts Final Mix (HD 1.5 ReMIX), hope to beat the game in a few hours.

Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1079 on: May 19, 2014, 12:13:11 AM »

Best Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance a little while ago.  Epilogue and credits were like 40 minutes.  Damn.  Anyhow, I thought this FE game was 100% solid.  Normal mode was much less challenging than that of FE6 or FE7, as characters seemed really powerful on average, with a few real monsters in there.  Not quite as exploitable as Sacred Stones (FE8), which is probably a good thing.  My best characters were ABSURDLY strong, but even then I had to be a little careful during the final battle.  Really smart difficulty curve.  I might revisit it in Hard Mode later, but I sorta doubt it.  I have too many other games to play.  Probably my second-favorite overall, after FE7. 

Examining the battle data at the credits revealed that I had a VERY clear-cut top nine characters: Ike, Soren, Oscar, Kieran, Astrid, Jill, Nephenee, Volke, and Tormod.  Each of those had at least 41 kills, with Ike topping it at 122.  Nobody else had more than 25.  By the endgame Mist was one of my best characters (maybe better than Astrid or Tormod), but I put a TON of BEXP and specific work into her.  Similar situation for Astrid and Tormod, but not quite as dramatic.  Those ten were the core of my team.   I also used Nasir for the last two chapters (of course) and I also used Titania, Stefan, Calill, and Geoffery for significant stretches.  Really enjoyed the cast of this Fire Emblem game. 

Glad you enjoyed it. I consider it the second best in the series behind FE5 since it brought back a lot of the gameplay features/mechanics that couldn't make it into the GBA era (without going overboard (Awakening) or in a weird way (Radiant Dawn). The reason why I don't consider it to be the top is that the Laguz and the mechanics surrounding them weren't the most well thought out and that Magic was kinda crappy in this game (and though FE10 fixes the Laguz for the most part, it decided that Magic wasn't nerfed enough and also nerfed Horse riders while buffing Wyvern Riders and Bow users to ridiculous levels) making a good chunk of your playable cast kinda really suck.

As for FE7, I felt that its kinda in the middle of the road or a bit lower than that for me, since you really never get toys to play around with until the very end of the game when its too late to bother with them for the most part (and they also kinda suck, especially the Sol Katti, that thing was a travesty, the Regal Blade is honestly the better weapon for Lyn to use and all it has going for it is its high Mt).

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 105 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: