Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 28, 2014, 10:51:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327602 Posts in 13412 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  A Game Journal Reborn
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 103 Print
Author Topic: A Game Journal Reborn  (Read 34486 times)
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1200 on: June 16, 2014, 07:19:59 AM »

My advice is not to think about it. Just do it. I got a 360 solely for Vesperia and don't regret it at all. Not only are there a few other gems but Vesperia is easily within my top 3 of this last gen.

Same here. I don't regret my 360 because of Vesperia.
I mean I only have 3 games for it total (others because Catherine and Armored Core: For Answer)
I know I could have gotten Catherine on PS3... but Katherine is so much damn hotter on the cover.
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: June 16, 2014, 10:15:37 AM »

Started FFIV and Dissidia 2 over E3cation. Haven't played the former in like 12 years. Kain's a dick, lol.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1202 on: June 16, 2014, 12:55:23 PM »

30 hours in and just started Chapter 5 of FF X-2 HD. This game stresses me out. I'm trying to get 100% with my strategy guide and in chapter 4 I screwed up and missed 0.2% because the commsphere's were boring the shit out of me and I skipped one. The way they divide up the % is beyond stupid and now I can't get the perfect ending because I ended the commsphere stuff too soon. Seriously?! I guess there's new game plus, but I wanted to get it on the first playthrough. It's damn near impossible even with following the guide.

Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1203 on: June 16, 2014, 11:58:56 PM »

I have been playing the shit out of DQ8 on my phone.

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1204 on: June 17, 2014, 12:12:54 AM »

Clive Barker's Undying - This is literally Unreal mixed with Realms of the Haunting that FEELS sort of like King's Field HOW COULD THIS HAVE GONE SO WRONG.

So basically I got to some point in the manner where the game started using these... snake-like enemies that spit at you but they respawn instantly, so there's no point in killing them and you mostly just need to run past. But they have... some attack that's like... it seems like it hits you when you're not really in line with them, so it's like this hit-scan, area of effect attack that also puts this slime effect on the screen which is just distracting. Anyway the result of this is that exploration is kind of not fun, since you're running into these respawning dudes that have an attack I couldn't reliably dodge. Also ammo is fairly limited so you have to use your regenerating magic missile spell which... the projectile physics on those are weird, and they move a little randomly, and don't do much damage.

Second problem is that the maps are entirely too dark which, as I said earlier, causes problems because enemies just sort of spawn in. Like at one point, I'm in the... basement of a manner, have to kill two werewolf things, and y reward for doing this is... I found a health kit.

Which I had to use immediately because the map was dark and a THIRD werewolf spawned in on top of me. Yyyyyeah.

So I guess I maintain my assessment that the game is like Unreal meets RotH but it's the worst aspects of both of those.

Also oh god the fake irish accents. RotH didn't really have good acting, but it was this... kind of charmingly b-movie affair and I cared about the characters because it was sort of goofy but it was affably goofy and I mean there was still a good story there that I could take serious because it felt serious without being self-serious.

This is just fuuuuuuuuuuuck shut uuuuuuuuuup, only the cutscenes aren't skippable. Even the overly long ones when you die. So you can't just reload instantly after dying.

--- edit ---

GTA:SA - Did two Catalina missions. In a Monster Truck.

Monster Trucks are /bouncy/.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 10:29:12 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1205 on: June 18, 2014, 12:55:46 AM »

Ys Origins: "Now why did I break from playing this again?" *Loads save, finds that I need to energize the Evil Ring* "Oh....Right....". *Gets past all that and is now at the boss* "WHY THE FUCK DOES THIS BOSS HAVE SO MUCH SHIT GOING ON!? HUGO'S SHIT SHIELD CAN'T DEAL WITH THIS!! ARRRGGGHHH!!!"

But seriously, the Creeper can go to hell. He sucked with Yunica on Normal (granted I was stuck with only a keyboard), and he sucks with Hugo on Nightmare.

Also, a fun fact about Prof. Layton and the Curious Village. A good third of the game's puzzles no longer exists. Way to go discontinued DS WiFi service.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1206 on: June 18, 2014, 03:36:42 AM »

Every time I try to get back into EO3, I get really irritated.

The whole "need to have a second party to mine materials for cash" system is just ridiculous, and half the time I die because they're so weak....because I can't get money to buy them equipment....because I die.....repeat ad nauseum.

One of the stupidest design decisions I've ever seen.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1207 on: June 18, 2014, 09:59:58 AM »

Finished Final Fantasy: All the Bravest.

The Class/Item/Enemy description in the compendium was great.

The game itself... :/
Well it was free so I won't complain.

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1208 on: June 18, 2014, 12:12:50 PM »

Saints Row IV - It's as much silly nonsensicle fun as I thought it would be. Driving controls suck, though.

Final Fantasy Lightning Returns - I liked FF13 and 13-2. A lot.

I don't like this game. The story feels like it was taken from an unrelated game shoehorned in here. The characxters all have completely different personalities, and while they try to make it make sense, some of its not a good idea. Lightning no displays literally no emotion whatsoever. Why would anybody want a protagonist who simply cannot react or express any emotion whatsoever???

The lore from previous games has either been reworked or blantantly ignored, only brought up again in flash back cutscenes. We're servants of a god? No we're servants of THE God. So we're a L'Cie? Not really. But Gods were just really powerful mortal beings in prior games that needed L'Cie to do their bidding? This one's omnicient and all powerful, and involved with a lot of things in past games that had other explanations but now we're saying God did it.

Seriously, am I missing something here?

Anyways, the gameplay is so repetetive and boring, you wouldn't believe it. There's nothing to it, you just keep spamming attacks. There's no thought or strategy whatsoever. We switched to easy, and even on that the enemies have monsterous-sized health bars, even after keeping up to date with equipment. Every battle takes forever, and you don't get much for doing the battles anyways...you level up through quests, fights are optional and probably best ignored. On easy you can escape whenever you want, too, so we just escape from the harder ones.

The only good thing I have to say so far is that Noel's cutscenes were interesting and it was nice to finally get some closure with him. Doesn't quite redeem this game yet, though...
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 12:29:57 PM by Mickeymac92 » Logged

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1209 on: June 18, 2014, 05:00:39 PM »

Well the game is pretty challenging on normal and there is a lot of strategy involved in the bosses.

***LR SPOILERS
Code:
In the prior games, the "gods" weren't really gods, they were Fal'cie who were trying to communicate with the "real gods" aka as Etro, Bhunivelze and Lindzei who created them(This was present in the original XIII lore btw and the main bad motivation was to open up the path to the realm of god so he could communicate with him). God aka Bhunivelze didn't interfere in the previous games, he simply created the universe and now that his universe is fucked by chaos because Etro died in XIII-2(goddess of death who kept the chaos at bay) he wants to create a new one where people can live normally again.

There are also reasons for Lightning's emotions thing that will be explained in due time.
It's the weakest story in the series but it's not alien to the previous plot lines I'd say.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 05:02:47 PM by Holykael1 » Logged

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1210 on: June 18, 2014, 06:31:02 PM »

I knew I was missing something. Thanks.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1211 on: June 18, 2014, 09:33:07 PM »

I keep meaning to start a big new game project (probably XenoBlade Chronicles), but I keep getting sidetracked.  First I replayed Sonny and Sonny 2.  Then I started re-beating parts of Retro Game Challenge.  Now I'm replaying Dragon Age: Origins.  I shouldn't be doing this.  I have a problem. 

Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1212 on: June 19, 2014, 10:32:58 AM »

I started Playing Steambot Chronicles again last week up to yesterday. It's official...this game is the best game ever. I will never stop playing this game.

Fear Vanilla, Boss of the Killer Elephants, the Son

of a fisherman
...pimpin...and a real playa.

I did not make this up.

I will record gameplay

and you will love

this game too.

Amen

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1213 on: June 19, 2014, 12:30:46 PM »

Welp. So much for that run of Prof. Layton. And it was going so well too. Ah well, I'll just use it to clear a path for my new file.

And speaking of tedious bullshit, The 3rd Birthday. I'm back at the Queen again. Ughhh. I don't even think its possible to take her down in time this time. I think I have to be at level 99 to actually be able to beat it before it pulls that cutscene attack. I suppose I'm gonna need that Sniper Rifle I just acquired to do it (and even then I still have to contend with the bullshit that is trying to hit the Queen's weak spot, the hitbox on that thing is ridiculous).

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1214 on: June 19, 2014, 03:17:04 PM »

Started Black Sigil. I like the premise and I love the graphics, but that encounter rate is antrocious! After I finish it, I'm going to track down whoever programmed the game to be this way and kick him in the nuts for every random encounter. And if it was programmed by a woman I'm going to... I don't know... punch her in the boobs? Pull her hairs out one by one? This is tough...
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 103 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: