Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 28, 2014, 06:22:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327548 Posts in 13410 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  A Game Journal Reborn
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 103 Print
Author Topic: A Game Journal Reborn  (Read 34288 times)
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1230 on: June 21, 2014, 06:36:47 PM »

Nier-ly spent the day playing Nier today. Managed to wrap up Facade and am moseying my way to the Forest of Myth.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1231 on: June 21, 2014, 08:11:48 PM »

I need to correct myself, One Way Heroics is not infinite.
You win automatically when you reach "the end of the world" at 2000 km.

From playing more, I can see 3 winning conditions:
- Kill the Demon Lord(ette)
- Reach the End of the World
- Kill the 'Darkness'
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1232 on: June 21, 2014, 10:07:15 PM »

Bleed - I think the biggest area where this game -- like so many indie platformers -- falls apart for me is the movement physics.

In Bleed, two things I noticed is that the multi-jumps are really flighty and hard to control, your character has a lot of inertia while moving, and there's excessive knockback. And then you have mouse aim although the motion for this never felt really /smooth/ to me.

So the end result is a game where I feel like there's a huge disconnect between the buttons I'm pressing and what's actually going on.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1233 on: June 21, 2014, 11:32:01 PM »

I need to catch up on the Dragon Age series for the new one so I went and bought Awakening because I've only played the original game 5 years ago. I do not remember how to play this game nor the story involved haha. I imported my character and it took me a good hour before I remembered most of the gameplay mechanics. The story I googled and read a synopsis and most of it came back I think. I'm enjoying this so far. I forgot how awesome this game was.

Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1234 on: June 21, 2014, 11:34:38 PM »

Ugh. Played around 10-11 hours of Dragon Age: Origins today.  Did all of the Orzammar and Anvil of the Void quets, the Urn of Sacred Ashes quest (did most of the Redcliffe stuff earlier in the way), and a few side quests in Denerim and going between all of the city areas.  Already did the Mages Circle quests earlier this week.  Haven't touched the Brecilian Forest yet.  I love DA: Origins, but that was too much.  Hopefully I'll have the game finished in the next three or four days. 

Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1235 on: June 22, 2014, 02:48:41 AM »

I think the biggest area where this game -- like so many indie platformers -- falls apart for me is the movement physics.

this. ^^ for me too.

In particular its the jumping. Its gotten to the point where I am not even tempted by cool platformer-ee titles because everytime I find one that looks cool and is well recieved it feels "strange" to an extent of un-fun.

(Not so) recently tried Braid because of how beautiful the art direction looked.  I just could not enjoy it in the least due to the very floatiness you referenced mesh. I hate seeing what I need to do in a game but not being able to succeed due to control issues or glitchiness. Dying numerous times in Megaman doesn't bother me because its my fault. Dying because it feels as though I'm jumping in moon gravity is just a pain in my ass.

It doesn't help that I totally suck at platformers.-LoL

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1236 on: June 22, 2014, 10:16:59 AM »

Braid's floatiness never bothered me too much because it wasn't, for the most part, a game that require that much precision. But then you get a lot of indie games that have a... n obsession with /masocore/ levels of difficulty (presumably inspired by Super Meat Boy, although SMB did a lot of things that other people neglect hence it's like the only game of its type to really get it RIGHT), so then you get extreme floatiness plus WALL OF SPIKES, and shit gets bad.

Although you also get the opposite problem, sometimes, which is absolutely no inertia -- you'd see this in a lot of old DOS games in particular. It's why Duke Nukem 1 and 2 are sort of hard to play now, whereas Commander Keen has aged wonderfully because CK was one of the few early DOS platformers to get really normal feeling inertia -- so jumps are hard to control and everything feels really jerky, although you can USUALLY compensateby slowing how you're playing down a bit. It's still kind of un-fun because you... don't get any sort of flow to what you're doing.

Dust Force - Double jumping and some of the upside down wallwalking aside, the movement in this game DOES feel pretty good, although it doesn't work for me because, much like with Mighty Switch Force, it's a game build around speedrunning and the speedrunning is based entirely around route memorization. Which doesn't really do much for me.

Also the rhythm feels off in some of the levels. iirc Runman: Race Around the World was a lot better in this regard.

I thought the speedrunning in Umihara Kawase was actually interesting 'cos that was less route memorization and more getting creative with the physics engine. There's not really much route memorization in Umihara Kawase OR Super Meat Boy, come to think of it, because the levels are reasonably small and you tend to see your goal early on. They're entirely about figuring out and mastering whatever sub-challenges the game throws at you. I like that.

Anyway, though, honestly Dustforce is a quality game if you're into the kind of game it is. It's just not what I'm into.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 03:12:03 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not dream o/`

Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1237 on: June 22, 2014, 12:49:13 PM »

Finished Hotline Miami. Went into it expecting to dislike it but it was actually pretty great. I am not usually a fan of that type of gameplay. I will probably try Lone Survivor next.

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1238 on: June 22, 2014, 05:36:20 PM »

I loved Mighty Switch Force, and I also loved Dustforce, but I can see why people might not like them.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1239 on: June 22, 2014, 06:14:09 PM »

Kid Icarus Uprising!

= Welcome back, Kid Ic!  Indeed, it's been a very long time
= I'm up to Ch 6.

= The game is, surprisingly and actually, funny!  Jokes often roll with silly wordplay, making fun of the obvious, breaking the 4th wall, and so on.

= I really like Ali Hillis as a voice actress.... and when she's not forcing a brooding and huskier voice like she does for FF13's Lightning.  Pit's VA really jives with the goofy dialogue well too and the two work well together bantering almost half the time.

= Yes, the controls really, really are annoying.  I think the idea of using the touchscreen to aim/control the camera was a bad idea.  I like the agency you have to either shoot or do melee attacks on the field, but it sucks when a lot of great gameplay mechanics are at the mercy of you getting along with how you have to hold the system.  I'm really worried about this when it comes to later levels and bonus challenges.

= On that; I LOVE how much there is to this game.  I love yielding better prizes for a more difficult experience, I love that there is hidden stuff and bonus challenges, I love that levels are broken up between fighting in the sky and on ground.  You can tell this game was made by people who love to play and know what they'd want from a title (well, besides "simple controls" apparently).

= Bosses have surprisingly little HP.  But still provide decent challenge and are pretty interesting.

= I'm like 90% certain Sakuraba does a few tracks; and 93% certain the main artist is the fella who did Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia and Suikoden: Trierkreis.

= The new vs nostalgic tone is really great too.  Pit's theme sounds beautiful orchestrated; and the Reapers theme is back too (which would be creepy again if not the rest of the game being so amusing).  The graphics too look brilliant.  Medusa's NES>3DS "makeover" is certainly impressive.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 06:32:47 PM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1240 on: June 22, 2014, 06:34:37 PM »

Beat Steambot Chronicles an hour ago. Great game. Did the villain's path...complete supremacy. 

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1241 on: June 22, 2014, 08:46:01 PM »

I finished the main story in GTA 5.

I kind of feel like Franklin got lost in the shuffle and it might have been better to focus on the relationship between Trevor and Michael, but the ending was much better than GTA 4's.

I decided to
Code:
not kill either of them, and took out Devin Weston instead

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Der Jermeister

Don't Mess with Him

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1242 on: June 22, 2014, 09:28:07 PM »

Beat Wild Arms 4. Liked it despite luck sometimes being necessary to win, especially against the final bosses.

I think I'm on the last mission in Borderlands 2 Vita, but I've had to grind since I'm having trouble against what I believe is the final boss.

In Welgaia in Tales of Symphonia PS3, and stuck, but GameFAQs will hopefully help. Not a sign of good game design, though, having to rely on a guide to get past parts in a game.

Got two elemental crystals in Bravely Default.

Started Riviera: The Promised Land PSP recently, and have been progressing smoothly despite slow battles.

MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1243 on: June 22, 2014, 10:02:45 PM »

@ Dice wrt Kidicarus: Do you have a 3DS or a 3DSXL?

Xenoblade - Hanging out with Hermione on the hand. Played this for like two hours. Why did I convince myself I didn't like Xenoblade? Also is plush Rikis a thing?

o/` I do not dream o/`

Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1244 on: June 22, 2014, 10:15:48 PM »

Some more Dragon Age: Origins housekeeping today in between about 6 hours of OT at the office and assisting my aging parents with yard work.  Killed the dragon, did all of the companion quests, did a bunch of guild stuff and quests around Denerim, and I think I'm ready to finally tackle the Brecilian Forest.  The elves are my least-favorite faction to deal with in the Dragon Age games, but that's mostly because I find the Mages/Fade, Templars/Chantry, Dwarves/Deep Roads, and Qunari really fascinating.  Plenty of shit to do in that forest, at least. 

Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 103 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: