Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2014, 05:44:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338203 Posts in 13845 Topics by 2214 Members
Latest Member: CoreSignal
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Game Journals
| | |-+  A Game Journal Reborn
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 169 Print
Author Topic: A Game Journal Reborn  (Read 72982 times)
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1260 on: June 24, 2014, 08:24:34 PM »

Beat Chapter 24 of FE:Awakening on my Classic Lunatic Spotpass run. Honestly though, my run's been shot to hell thanks to the complete lack of reliable data about enemy reinforcements online. The last two stages were a complete pain in the ass because of "Whoops, surprise Wyvern Lord right up your ass." and Chrom is no longer really able to take being dogpiled anymore (though he'll probably reclass soon, maybe). On the plus side, I've also beaten the Infinite Regalia and Smash Brethren 2 DLC chapters letting me recruit Eldigan and Eirika as well as netting me a second Sol Sword, Two Bows (Yewfelle and Double Bow), the Silver Card, and a Wedding Bouquet. I'm thinking of giving the Bouquet to Raquesis since Est is doing well enough on her own and Raquesis will definitely appreciate the Rally Love skill as well as maintaining her Staffbot status. I also went through another round of Golden Gaffe (probably for the last time since with the Silver Card now, I'm no longer burning through gold trying to keep my party up to snuff).

Nier: Started up the final sidequests of the first half of the game. Unfortunately, the game's been weird with the Littlest Hero quest and I'm worried I might have glitched it out.

T3B: Status update: Still stuck on that Queen fight. At least I'm getting better at sniping it. Its horseshit that the Conserve Overdive feat also requires you to get the Swiftly escape from the Babel feat, especially when they throw in the Use Satellite Cannon feat, a new weapon, and a rare enemy all of which requiring ODs to deal with.

Disney's Aladdin (Genesis Version): Finally decided to crack this out since I was getting bored with FFX. Made it all the way to the Escape from the Cave of Wonders on my first go of the game (then the dodgy platforming and weird hitboxes caught up with me). And to think that I wanted this version over the SuperNES one when these games first came out (and all for a sword).

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Wild Armor
Observer
Contributing Editor

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1261 on: June 24, 2014, 11:24:09 PM »

Started up Bravely Default. Fun Game. Need more population though, ack.

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1262 on: June 25, 2014, 06:35:51 AM »

I started up Dragon Age II this morning before work and played a couple of hours. NOW I understand why so many people were upset. Bioware changed way too much shit they shouldn't have. I have no idea what they were thinking. Not being able to import your character from the first game and play as them is understandable given they wanted another story going on at roughly the same time with new characters, but forcing us to be human and not be able to customize like anything is horseshit. The combat system is also alot more like an action game in this one. I much prefer the combat in the first game. The improved character animations and facial expressions are nice, but the art direction in the first one was also way better since they had to make up for less pretty graphics. Now, I do think the menus are better handled in this one because I can actually read things since the text and everything is bigger. Unfortunately, for whatever reason, they switched the conversations to the Mass Effect system when the first one was completely fine. Again, not something that needed changed at all. We'll see how much I end up enjoying this, but I'm pretty bummed out currently. I know I'm late to the party, but I had to vent somewhere haha.
Disagree regarding the conversation system. DA2's is the best conversation system between DAO, ME, and DA2. Tone indicators are a freaking god send. I remember multiple times in DAO when I would select and option and the implied tone based on how the person I was talking to reacted was completely different than I had intended it to be (which included the time I accidently started romancing Zervan because my line that I read with an intended tone of w/e was instead taken with a tone of "Come by anytime.")

Actually disagree with a lot of the points (prefer DA2's combat, prefer DA2's design direction, don't care about the loss of race choice), but then again my only complaint about DA2 is that it was clearly rushed, and frankly on my second playthrough, I didn't even really notice some of the short cuts they had to use despite being fully aware of the fact that they were there.
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1263 on: June 25, 2014, 10:19:12 AM »

I started up Dragon Age II this morning before work and played a couple of hours. NOW I understand why so many people were upset. Bioware changed way too much shit they shouldn't have. I have no idea what they were thinking. Not being able to import your character from the first game and play as them is understandable given they wanted another story going on at roughly the same time with new characters, but forcing us to be human and not be able to customize like anything is horseshit. The combat system is also alot more like an action game in this one. I much prefer the combat in the first game. The improved character animations and facial expressions are nice, but the art direction in the first one was also way better since they had to make up for less pretty graphics. Now, I do think the menus are better handled in this one because I can actually read things since the text and everything is bigger. Unfortunately, for whatever reason, they switched the conversations to the Mass Effect system when the first one was completely fine. Again, not something that needed changed at all. We'll see how much I end up enjoying this, but I'm pretty bummed out currently. I know I'm late to the party, but I had to vent somewhere haha.
Disagree regarding the conversation system. DA2's is the best conversation system between DAO, ME, and DA2. Tone indicators are a freaking god send. I remember multiple times in DAO when I would select and option and the implied tone based on how the person I was talking to reacted was completely different than I had intended it to be (which included the time I accidently started romancing Zervan because my line that I read with an intended tone of w/e was instead taken with a tone of "Come by anytime.")

Actually disagree with a lot of the points (prefer DA2's combat, prefer DA2's design direction, don't care about the loss of race choice), but then again my only complaint about DA2 is that it was clearly rushed, and frankly on my second playthrough, I didn't even really notice some of the short cuts they had to use despite being fully aware of the fact that they were there.

It is understandable to not care about race choice if you are going to be human, but you have to admit it was a terrible design decision on their part after letting us pick whatever we wanted in the first game. As for the combat, it is growing on me, but I still think the first one was alot more strategic than this which I prefer. The quest system and menus are definitely MUCH better in this game though. I'm enjoying it, I was just bummed I HAD to be the character they chose for me after being able to customize my own in the first game. The story is pretty cool so far too. It was nice to see Anders after I just beat Awakening and imported my save over. They even talked about
Code:
how I had burned down Amaranthine, which is awesome!

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1264 on: June 25, 2014, 03:42:11 PM »

I'm always confused when I see people debating DA:O's combat system vs. DA2's combat system.  Mainly because it's the same friggin combat system.

Yes, there are superficial differences.  Animations in DA2 are flashier, camera angles are different, DA2 is overall a bit faster paced (but you can still pause whenever so I actually appreciate that).  And there's the stupid fact that auto-attack isn't enabled by default in DA2, but it's still an option so that's easily remedied.  But the core mechanics of the combat really haven't changed.  In fact I would say that if anything DA2 has more abilities that allow different party members to complement each other, so that's a nice touch.

Now DA2 has absolutely terrible encounter design most of the time with enemies inexplicably spawning out of nowhere while in DA:O enemies actually existed on the field in sensible locations so you could plan strategically.  Trying to use appropriate formations and such almost never works in DA2 since new enemies will just magically appear behind/on-top-of you.  Feel free to criticize that all you want.

Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1265 on: June 25, 2014, 03:48:39 PM »

There's two new additions to DA2 which are "hit rate" and "Inter-class combos".
Inter-class combos is a pretty nice addition and makes a balanced group more interesting (as opposed to an all-mage + rogue party which is pretty much the best thing in DA:O... ok... an all-mage + rogue party is still the best in DA2... but by less)
The hit rate was just junk for how it was balanced. On the hardest difficulty, the hit curve is so bad that you're lucky to inflict a half damage attack.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 03:50:28 PM by Annubis » Logged
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1266 on: June 25, 2014, 03:55:33 PM »

Far Cry 3

Twenty pirates attack me at once? No problem!
Five dogs attack me in tall grass? Fuck.

The game is really fun so far. I have not really been playing the story so I can't comment on it so far. The human encounter rate is pretty high but so far they are pretty easy. I am horribad at driving but I don't know if that is the games fault or mine. Hunting is really fun.

CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1267 on: June 25, 2014, 04:50:03 PM »

Klyde -  Jumping into AC:BF without playing the other games seems to be no problem.  Most of the time is spent pirating.  The scenes that take place in the modern world sometimes allude to previous games, but those scenes are so few and far between it doesn't matter.  I just concentrate on the pirating and have fun.

Got hooked and beat Bloodmasque, the ios game from Square Enix.  It was actually really fun.  You can beat the game without paying real money.  I highly recommend it since it is free at the moment.

Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1268 on: June 26, 2014, 07:08:49 AM »

It is understandable to not care about race choice if you are going to be human, but you have to admit it was a terrible design decision on their part after letting us pick whatever we wanted in the first game. As for the combat, it is growing on me, but I still think the first one was alot more strategic than this which I prefer. The quest system and menus are definitely MUCH better in this game though. I'm enjoying it, I was just bummed I HAD to be the character they chose for me after being able to customize my own in the first game. The story is pretty cool so far too. It was nice to see Anders after I just beat Awakening and imported my save over. They even talked about
Code:
how I had burned down Amaranthine, which is awesome!
Terrible? No. They were trying to a more personal story by having a single defined backstory for the main character as opposed to Origin where your identity is just the Warden with your backstory coming up in one sub-quest of the main plot. Some of the events in the game just would not have made sense with an Elf protagonist. They didn't do as much with it as they could have, but that doesn't mean that it was a terrible decision. If they had spent the time to add in additional races, then I think the game would have been worse for it as they were already severely time crunched by EA deadlines so stuff would have had to have been cut, and chapter 3 is already severely anemic. Actually I was disappointed when they changed course with DAI and decided to put multiple races back in.....maybe I do actually care about it when I think about. *shrug*
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1269 on: June 26, 2014, 01:25:45 PM »

I'm always confused when I see people debating DA:O's combat system vs. DA2's combat system.  Mainly because it's the same friggin combat system.

Yes, there are superficial differences.  Animations in DA2 are flashier, camera angles are different, DA2 is overall a bit faster paced (but you can still pause whenever so I actually appreciate that).  And there's the stupid fact that auto-attack isn't enabled by default in DA2, but it's still an option so that's easily remedied.  But the core mechanics of the combat really haven't changed.  In fact I would say that if anything DA2 has more abilities that allow different party members to complement each other, so that's a nice touch.

Now DA2 has absolutely terrible encounter design most of the time with enemies inexplicably spawning out of nowhere while in DA:O enemies actually existed on the field in sensible locations so you could plan strategically.  Trying to use appropriate formations and such almost never works in DA2 since new enemies will just magically appear behind/on-top-of you.  Feel free to criticize that all you want.

I feel like I'm cheating when I enable auto-attack in 2 so I just do it myself. Idk, something about it not being the default setting makes me feel different about it in this game. Maybe I'm just crazy. You are right about the enemy encounters. I hate getting ambushed constantly out of nowhere.

Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1270 on: June 26, 2014, 06:37:13 PM »

Got a wild hair and decided to re-play Fallout 3...had honestly forgotten how awesome this game is, unfortuntaely everything else has fallen by the wayside.

Everything's Eventual
Der Jermeister

The Angry Videogame Fur

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1271 on: June 26, 2014, 08:33:54 PM »

Beat Tales of Symphonia as part of Chronicles. Was impressed with the game despite the derivative plot. I'll start on Dawn of the New World eventually. Still working on Riviera: The Promised Land PSP and Bravely Default.

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1272 on: June 26, 2014, 08:53:57 PM »

Nearly finished Tomb Raider (2013)

I'm surprised at how much it reminds me of Siren New Translation in tone in some places.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1273 on: June 27, 2014, 10:15:00 AM »

Been playing terraria on my vita (free for psn+) recently. I just dropped skeletron last night, that was a pain in the balls. This game definitely was made for pc, it's much more difficult to play on the vita I would say (fucking rear touch pad keeps throwing off my targetting). But yeah, this shit is addictive. I drained both oceans straight to the underworld, which was funny. Also, I keep getting my "town" destroyed by goblin armies. I think I need to move it away from the origin point of the world already.

TASTY!
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1274 on: June 27, 2014, 02:13:25 PM »

Just started Act II in DA2. Played for about 18 hours so far. I'm enjoying this quite a bit even if it isn't quite on par with the first for me. It kind of sucks being limited to just Kirkwall after the first one had so much exploration. I'm enjoying the characters and story though.

Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 169 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: