Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 28, 2014, 02:11:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338689 Posts in 13864 Topics by 2217 Members
Latest Member: milz
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Game Journals
| | |-+  A Game Journal Reborn
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 170 Print
Author Topic: A Game Journal Reborn  (Read 74132 times)
Klyde Chroma
LVL 12. Obsessive Compulsive Fruity Assassin

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1275 on: June 27, 2014, 06:42:44 PM »

Klyde -  Jumping into AC:BF without playing the other games seems to be no problem.  Most of the time is spent pirating.  The scenes that take place in the modern world sometimes allude to previous games, but those scenes are so few and far between it doesn't matter.  I just concentrate on the pirating and have fun.

Got hooked and beat Bloodmasque, the ios game from Square Enix.  It was actually really fun.  You can beat the game without paying real money.  I highly recommend it since it is free at the moment.

Thank you for the advice! It will be a moment before I get to it but that info will be kept in my back pocket for when I get antsy and want to try some new games out.

And on that note, gaming ADHD hit hard this week and I decided to try some more titles.

Gave Red Dead Redemption a shot first.... Awesome game but clearly not for Klyde. This falls into the same category as Dark Souls for me, which is something I can clearly see the appeal of but simply does not appeal to me. Both  RDD and DS both evoke a mood for me I just don't care for.

Next up, I tried Ragnarok Odyssey Ace. The combat is INSANELY satisfying if you want to play out a generic battle anime with tight and fast controls. This game by itself holds no water with me but could potentially be the perfect aside to something else. Its shallow, mindless and you can accomplish quite a bit in short time frame. By no means could this game alone prove satisfying but I think it might very well be the perfect compliment to something far more involving when you need a breather. Another plus is the character customization. If having an obscene amount of control over the visual appearance of your character in a generic Bastard!! meets Slayers sort of setting sounds appealing you may (as I do) find this game to be a unique brand of awesome. I DO NOT like the fact that you set out for missions that are timed as opposed actually venturing out into a field. I also do not like that the ONLY thing you can do is run around and fight. No climbing, no swimming, no exploring. So while this game is seriously weak and faulted, I just can't deny the shallow satisfaction of the combat and aesthetic.

Last up (I just couldn't help myself) was Battle Princess Arcadia. As expected, a cute and lush vanilla-ware esque side-scrolling action title. It does however have some unique mechanics up its sleeve although the clunky controls REALLY hurt the experience for me. I didn't play enough to say any more about it really but first impressions are a mix of precisely what I expected coupled with slight disapointment.

As for my current play-throughs.

SHADOW HEARTS: Made it to Rouen. This game is still all sorts of cool and I really love Keith although I haven't had him in the party too long.

DRAKENGARD 3: Seems less glitchy to me now. I don't know if it is in fact less glitchy after the first chapter or I got used to it. I've decided that the narrative is certainly good enough to keep me invested though.

TERRANIGMA: Took a major backseat to Shadow Hearts this week, but I did make it as far as completing the Mermaids Tower. I love the soundtrack for Freedom ALOT. Its the type of track I want to pause on and leave play endlessly in the background at my house to exponentially increase my happiness/comfort.

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1276 on: June 27, 2014, 07:06:44 PM »

I would kill to have the combat from Dark Souls in a game that doesn't actively punishes me for playing it. I am 100% serious.
Red Dead Redemption I can very much see the appeal of, but I need my Open World games to be as unrealistic as possible. It's kind of why I can't play GTA without cheats.

Anyways, I'm playing Shovel Knight. It is the physical embodiment of love.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1277 on: June 28, 2014, 07:14:44 PM »

Spent the whole day playing Mount and Blade. I managed to vanquish one faction finally.
I've been playing one game for the longest time. Right now I've conquered a little less than half the world. Naturally I'm getting pounded by 2-3 factions at all time =/
I've hit a pretty big power spike lately and I can walk around with 350 personal troops.
This is great because it lets me solo attack towns or go toe to toe with other kings.

The best thing about Mount and Blade is the realization of how far you've come since the start of the game.
Draak

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1278 on: June 28, 2014, 09:41:02 PM »

Saints Row 4 is killing me, so good. Glad it run decently on my aging pc.
Annubis

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1279 on: June 29, 2014, 12:19:03 AM »

I got a game breaking bug in Fallout NV at about midway in...
That pretty much killed any drive I had about playing the game for a second time =(

Oh well, not like I'm low on stuff to play at the moment.
Draak

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1280 on: June 29, 2014, 12:41:53 AM »

That pretty much killed any drive I had about playing the game for a second time =(

Sorry to ask, but what was the problem? If you're playing on PC you might be able to fix it via console.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1281 on: June 29, 2014, 01:54:39 AM »

Saints Row 4 is killing me, so good. Glad it run decently on my aging pc.

I just played SR3 for a couple hours on my /NEW NEXT GEN CONSOLE/ from eight years ago. I'm thinking about rebuying SR2, since that doesn't really work right on my laptop either.

I very much enjoy this series.

Also I think I need to get me some XBLA stuff. Looking at Radiant Silvergun, Rez, and Banjo-Tooie at the least, here.

@Annubis: Mount and Blade or Warband?

M&B's one of those big open world RPGs that manages to get the whole /dynamic gameworld/ thing down by merit of changing the focus to being a top-level strategy game and relying on in-game events to govern everything.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Draak

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1282 on: June 29, 2014, 02:45:47 AM »

I just played SR3 for a couple hours on my /NEW NEXT GEN CONSOLE/ from eight years ago. I'm thinking about rebuying SR2, since that doesn't really work right on my laptop either.

Actually it would be a good idea to get SR2 for the PS3/360. Even beefier PCs have problems with the game, be it modded with GotR/Powertools. Not to mention the muffled audio. Sometimes I think it's unsalvageable.

It's a fun game and (imo) the best in the series, but the port was a shoddy work.
Annubis

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1283 on: June 29, 2014, 03:39:08 AM »

Sorry to ask, but what was the problem? If you're playing on PC you might be able to fix it via console.

It's a bug because of a quest and there's no fixing it (even with the console).
It basically makes everyone in the Strip aggro when they see me no matter what.

@Annubis: Mount and Blade or Warband?

Warband of course. The only reason to play the original would be the Star Wars mod.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1284 on: June 29, 2014, 03:59:57 AM »

Which quest?

Occasionally, clothing and armor is not properly unequipped, resulting in being attacked for no reason by friendly factions, independent of your reputation. Try to remember which faction armors you had equipped before this happened and re-equip it. Example: If the NCR starts attacking for no reason, and you were dressed as a Legion some time before, try to re-equip the Legion armor and unequip it again. Make sure you receive the message that you are no longer dressed in Legion clothes. If you were wearing a Brotherhood armor before that caused this bug, only un-equipping a Brotherhood armor will fix it. [verified]

The above fix doesn't always work. In case your reputation is too bad (check your Pip-Boy), you'll have to use the console command setreputation factionid x y.

This might help.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/959559-fallout-new-vegas/56870395

Also this.

Basically see if setreputation 118F61 1 0 does anything.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 04:03:55 AM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1285 on: June 29, 2014, 11:25:56 PM »

Wild Arms 2
I forgot I had this!  I gave it a ring again.  And I love that the animations are a LOT better in every sense than in WA1... but man, as much as I love Michiko Naruke, I think a large part of the Wild Arms 2 OST sucks ass.  Wild Arms typically go for a pretty nice ...like, real instrument sound, but WA2 is way too synth heavy.  The melodies are nice enough, just the songs themselves sound bare and too funky.
Ah well, the puzzles are still good, and on a HUGE upswing, the graphics are too.  The title is surprisingly mature at times too (when you look past a lot of the "anime weird" of bizarre plot twists and strange character types).

...I actually was a bit sad that this game abandoned the beautiful 2D artwork it had in the first title and opted for PS1 3D... bleh.  But it does make the puzzles that much more engaging.

Kid Icarus:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sXm0sCJcqo#t=228
A moment I'd probably find cheesy if not for the fact the game works sooo damn well with comedy and how the OST really goes along with it.
I love this game; I love how each stage is a pretty unique and fulfilling adventure, and I think it'd be a waste if this game doesn't get ported or a sequel.
The online mode is terribly addictive as well.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Wild Armor
Observer
Contributing Editor

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1286 on: June 30, 2014, 12:55:55 AM »

Played 100% Orange Juice...very fun game! If you like more relaxed, yet competitive, boardgame videogames, you'll probably like this. :)

Except for that cat girl with the gun.

Screw that cat.

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1287 on: June 30, 2014, 01:50:39 AM »

Went on a game buying spree a couple weeks ago, and one of the titles I picked up was Bioshock Infinite. Haven't touched it yet, but I did play through the original Bioshock, which was included on the disc. I really enjoyed it, and went for the "Good" ending. Managed to get through on Hard with no Vita Chambers, which was a little difficult at points, but largely the game was challenging, but not mind-wrenchingly difficult, even on hard. The mthod of story-telling was very well done, reminded me quite a but if Half-life, which is definitely a good thing.

Playing the original God of War right now, and just beat the first boss. Still can't get over my dislike of Kratos, but I'm guessing he's not necessarily a main character you're supposed to like.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1288 on: June 30, 2014, 01:53:23 AM »

Nier: Okay, now that I've achieved the Sheep Wisperer chievo and messed around in the Forest of Myth, I just need some Eagle Eggs and I'll be ready to move on to the Umbrella Mansion and meet the best character (in a game full of 'the best character').

PE3:T3rdB-day. Said fuck it and blew past the Queen since I would have needed to snipe the bitch over 6 times plus set off every vehicle to even have a chance at beating it (figured I'd case train it later, since outside of grinding my weapons all up to level 9, I'll have no further use for Insane Mode once I beat it). Made it to Chapter 5 now which is the other pain in the ass chapter. Wound up rocking the rest of Chapter 2 with the top tier Sniper Rifle in the Capacity line since even the most powerful Assault Rifle isn't really pulling its weight anymore. Then I blitzed through Chapter 3 with the best Grenade Launcher and Chapter 4 was won with the top tier Anti-Tank Rifle. As I had mentioned earlier in the thread, the change to your health/reinforcements health mechanics actually made some fights easier like the one on the top of the train near the end of Chapter 3. Of course like every other goddamn Squeenix game, the rest of Insane Mode is all about enemies having insane amounts of HP and the capability of straight up one-shotting you. On the plus side, the default gun that the game permanently locks you to finally has some use thanks to its Liberation Gauge building bullets.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1289 on: June 30, 2014, 04:43:36 AM »

AC:BF - Finished sequence 7 of the main story after seeing I was only 34% done with the main quest and 60% done of the side quests.  There is way too much to do.  I am really bad at tailing people whether it is by land or by sea.  I can't tell you how many times I failed by being detected or losing the tail.  I also died several times trying to defend a friendly ship from a whole brigade of enemy ships.  That said, I am still having fun.  Go figure. 

Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 170 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: