Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 21, 2014, 08:10:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329320 Posts in 13490 Topics by 2177 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  A Game Journal Reborn
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 115 Print
Author Topic: A Game Journal Reborn  (Read 43013 times)
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1290 on: June 30, 2014, 07:18:15 AM »

Got through Ace Attorney Investigations 2 since the fan translation was recently released fully. At first I was thinking this game was a bit overhyped until I got through case 5 and my mind was shattered to pieces. It has that edge that the best Ace Attorney games have with the intricate story and unforeseen twists It picks up right after Investigations 1 which is incidentally one of my least favourite games in the series.

Now I'm playing Drakengard 3 and loving every minute of it. Got the first ending and the plot is just getting started. The characters are insane and the dialogue is wacky and funny. Love the characters, they really nailed that aspect. Played for 10 hours yesterday :P. Finals are done after all. The gameplay is surprisingly fun, even with all the technical jankyness it's not as unplayable as some people made it out to be. It's actually perfectly functional and I'm having so much fun with it that I'm willing to forgive it's shortcomings. it feels like a PS2 Action RPG and in a good way, the combat is actually somewhat satisfying and with the weapon switching on the fly you can make some great combos. The worst aspect would be the camera and not actually the framerate cuz although it dips more than your usual game, it's not a roadblock by any means. The dragon sections are super fun as well and help bring some more variety to the table. The few platforming sections that this game has are fun and not frustrating at all. It's a flawed game but it's one of those games that grabbed me and I am having a great time with it.

Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1291 on: June 30, 2014, 07:27:45 AM »

I have one last challenge to do in Retro Game Challenge (beat 100 enemies in stage 2 of Robot Ninja Haggle Man 3), but oh man I can't stop playing Guadia Quest.  It is so dumb.  I love it.  Not super far in, early on in the Angel's Tower.  I will probably end up beating Guadia Quest, but not any of the other RGC games on the cart.  Star Prince and Haggle Man 3 are tough, yo. 

Also, I beat Dragon Age: Origins and imported by S&S Warrior Dwarf Noble into Awakening.  Man, that game rules.  Maybe 40% through, as I've done one of the three main quests plus a ton of side stuff.  It's everything that is good about Dragon Age, except it's 12-15 hours instead of 35-40 hours.  I'm still bitter that they RUINED Anders and Justice in Dragon Age 2....

Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1292 on: June 30, 2014, 10:28:39 AM »

Far Cry 3

Almost completed the northern Island. Still really fun. The game is getting a bit more difficult now that enemies have started wearing armour. Animals are as overpowered as always. Out of the 15 outposts I have captured, I would say five of them were due to a wild animal strolling into the camp and killing everyone there. Another two were from releasing captured animals.

Draagons Crown

Picked this up from PS Plus. It is better than I expected.Currently a level 24 fighter. I have five more talismans to collect. Have not really tried online yet.

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1293 on: June 30, 2014, 10:48:43 AM »

Saints Row 3 - Just messed around and did some gang operations. I do like this but I think SR2 had a better world,with regards to stuff to find and areas being more unique.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1294 on: June 30, 2014, 01:05:07 PM »

I would kill to have the combat from Dark Souls in a game that doesn't actively punishes me for playing it.

Is not FromSoft problem that they made a series of games in where people have to work a bit for their fun.
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1295 on: June 30, 2014, 01:36:41 PM »

I would kill to have the combat from Dark Souls in a game that doesn't actively punishes me for playing it.

Is not FromSoft problem that they made a series of games in where people have to work a bit for their fun.

Work =/= Fun

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1296 on: June 30, 2014, 01:59:25 PM »

Just beat the story in Dragon Age II. That was a damn fine game, I don't get the hate. Sure it could have used larger areas and more places to explore because it gets kind of tiresome going to the same places over and over, but I really did feel like I had an influence over Kirkwall and watched it evolve over the game based on my decisions. It was really neat. Same goes with the characters. They relationships with them really sold the story and setting for me. These are memorable characters (maybe even more so that the first game). The story is awesome too and should have major consequences either way you go about it in the next game. It does feel more like an action game than RPG at times, but Mass Effect does too and I don't think it's a bad thing. I just think that's why RPG purists prefer the first game. I like them about the same, but for different reasons. I like this one because it has a better quest system, better menus, better graphics, and much less confusing item and crafting system. I like the first one for its exploration, mythology, and overall plot. They make a good one two punch. Can't wait for Inquisition! I can finally go watch some trailers without fear of spoilers haha.

Question for my Dragon Age friends: Any of the DAII DLC worth getting? I looked into Mark of the Assassin, but it just looks like a Felicia Day fangasm that has no effect on any of the story at all. I barely even know who she is anyway.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 02:01:50 PM by Blace » Logged

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1297 on: June 30, 2014, 02:03:07 PM »

Work =/= Fun

Say that to FromSoft, not me clever man.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 02:11:20 PM by Yggdrasil » Logged
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1298 on: June 30, 2014, 02:16:13 PM »

Work =/= Fun

Yeah. I don't mind some challenge, but I rarely enjoy games because of their challenge, and I have never once felt like gaining a skill involving a video game was actually worth my time and effort. Even Monster Hunter 3, which I adore, is a game I would never be able to get myself to call "good" because it felt like I had to get the crap kicked out of me for 40 hours straight before I had even a ghost of a chance at being good at it. It was only after replaying it as Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate did I actually enjoy it. But don't think I've forgotten the pain...

In Dark Souls, though, it feels like I have to die to progress. There's a lot that just isn't explained to you, and literally the only way to find out what to do, where to go, etc. is by confronting something, and see whether or not it kills you. Which it does 99% of the time unless you're very well prepared...which usually involves having died against it already several times...it just feels like fighting brick wall. I got to ring the first bell, but only because I rigorously followed guides to ensure that I knew the right ways to go, find the best items, avoid the worst traps, and had a general idea of how to approach enemies so when I died, it really was my fault.

But seriously, if they put combat like what Dark Souls had in Zelda, I would be thrilled.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 02:38:41 PM by Mickeymac92 » Logged

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1299 on: June 30, 2014, 02:24:14 PM »

Work =/= Fun

Say that to FromSoft, not me clever man.

So condescension. Much defensive. Wow.

...okay, I'll stop. In reality, I don't care where people find their enjoyment and the more developers that design for under-catered audiences the better.

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1300 on: June 30, 2014, 02:39:44 PM »

Dark Souls' problem isn't that it's too hard, it's that it gets really /repetitive/ because it's hard.

Which it does 99% of the time unless you're very well prepared...which usually involves having died against it already several times...it just feels like fighting brick wall.

This in and of itself isn't a problem. The problem is that, by the time you get to the point where you encounter the thing that killed you again, you might well have been playing for half an hour. And then you die, and go back to the last bonfire, and get to do it all again.

SHMUPs do the same thing, but when you're hitting the point of having to repeat thirty minutes of stuff you've pretty much beat the game. So there's a lot less repetition.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1301 on: June 30, 2014, 02:43:24 PM »

I have never once felt like gaining a skill involving a video game was actually worth my time and effort.

I take that you hate fighting games then.

So condescension. Much defensive. Wow.

...okay, I'll stop.

I'm not in the mood for this crap.

Dark Souls' problem isn't that it's too hard, it's that it gets really /repetitive/ because it's hard.

Repetition is not the problem. The problem is that the player might be too lazy to enjoy the game in the first place.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1302 on: June 30, 2014, 02:45:41 PM »

I love fighting games! Doesn't mean I put even an iota of effort in being good at them. I just like to mess around with the characters and see how far I can get with nothing but instinct and natural talent.

Which it does 99% of the time unless you're very well prepared...which usually involves having died against it already several times...it just feels like fighting brick wall.

This in and of itself isn't a problem. The problem is that, by the time you get to the point where you encounter the thing that killed you again, you might well have been playing for half an hour. And then you die, and go back to the last bonfire, and get to do it all again.

SHMUPs do the same thing, but when you're hitting the point of having to repeat thirty minutes of stuff you've pretty much beat the game. So there's a lot less repetition.

I suppose that's a better way of putting it, but then again, I've been playing some o the Game Boy Mega Man games, and I realize I don't even like repeating even 5+ minutes of content anymore. I'll concede that that's probably a "me" problem, since I can't stand routines at all.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 02:48:11 PM by Mickeymac92 » Logged

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1303 on: June 30, 2014, 02:52:13 PM »

If I saw games as "content" I wouldn't give two shits about gaming and I would be watching more movies instead.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1304 on: June 30, 2014, 02:54:05 PM »

If I saw games as "content" I wouldn't give two shits about gaming and I would be watching more movies instead.

...I'm sorry, what? Did I say something wrong here? What other word is there to describe a part of a game other than "content"?

Seriously, I even looked it up, I'm pretty sure that was the correct usage of the word.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 03:00:50 PM by Mickeymac92 » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 115 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: