Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 19, 2014, 08:42:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
340923 Posts in 13933 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Game Journals
| | |-+  A Game Journal Reborn
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 181 Print
Author Topic: A Game Journal Reborn  (Read 81782 times)
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1455 on: July 16, 2014, 06:26:36 AM »

I will not delete your post in the SMT thread.

I want everyone to know you dun goofed as retribution for not having me in it. T_T

*cries and eats a gallon of ice cream*

Klyde picks favourites, and we're not it, I suppose....  Well gee whiz.  I'll be your favourite!!!!! >:(

Believe it or not, I never played through Breath of Fire 4..... its another one of those games from my adolescence I always wanted to because I love the franchise but never did.

DRAKENGARD 3= If there was more to it I could just play this. But this hardly qualifies as "JRPG" in my book. Action platformer is more appropriate. Loving it none the less, but it just doesn't fill the void.

The former has an amazing plot and atmosphere; the latter I completely agree.  It's good enough, but it is not filling any gaming void.

That was all I needed to hear. Breath of fresh air, here I come! If anyone has tastes similar to my own, it's u dice so your advice carries weight. Thanks for making this an easy decision for me.

Now that I've properly thanked you... Let me reiterate MONGOOSE was on the first list dammit! Lol. And I made you (dice) twice!!!!  Lol

XD <3 Sorry Klyde. I didn't know.

Actually, I think I remember it now. Haha. Yer alright. I'll delete your post for you now. :P

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1456 on: July 16, 2014, 06:58:43 AM »

I am the saddened that I was not deemed worthy to be in Klyde's team. :(

Oh well, been playing Muramasa Rebirth DLC 3. I love this ninja guy. He had a great storyline and his moveset is cool too.Finished the storyline last night, currently running all over Japan to pick up items before I begin slaughtering all of the bosses and evil wells.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1457 on: July 16, 2014, 11:00:39 PM »

Nabbed Wild Arms from the 99 cent PSN store sale.  2 hours in and it's pretty good.  Pleasantly surprised that the encounter rate is actually really good.  After playing ToD, I wasn't too sure what to expect.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Klyde Chroma
LVL 12. Obsessive Compulsive Fruity Assassin

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1458 on: July 17, 2014, 01:21:22 AM »

Man, my HP sucks. I've got less HP than a Prinny and on a higher level too. And looking at the rest of my stats in that pic, a stiff breeze will probably ruin my day.

That said, thanks for the gesture Klyde. It's better than what I've got from either of Annubis's RPFFans so far....

Don't be fooled sir. Your utility would have come by way of your high movement capability which is incredibly relevant in the post game grind.

Now I say "Would have" because as stated, I will not be following through with this as originally planned. Dice praise of BoF4 got me curious last night and I can safely say I am choosing to make that my next focus.

I am the saddened that I was not deemed worthy to be in Klyde's team. :(

DAMMIT! There were more additions to come!!!! I SWEAR IT!!

Good thing I chose to move on with Breath of Fire 4 instead. Far "safer" to discuss as I could only re-name Ryu and (as far as I know) I'm the only one here with blue hair! LoL

Now on the Breath of Fire 4 note. I can't imagine why I passed this up when I was 15 and it came out. I only put in 5 hours but there is already quite a bit to appreciate. I DO wish the kept a world map ala BoF3 though. This map (if you can call it that) is pathetic. Which is really sucky/odd considering the time obviously spent on the aesthetic of the environments. A cut corner in design perhaps?

What I can say design wise is that, while it feels far removed from the past Breath of Fire titles in terms of atmosphere, the title has truly come into its own as Capcom-tastically pretty. This is cool for me, as I have really only appreciated this art style at somewhat of a distance in Mega Man titles and Street Fighter (neither of which are really up my alley). I'm actually very excited to simply progress and see more dungeon/town/environments.

One last cool note. I had been jogging to a soundtrack I randomly acquired but never identified for a long time. It got lumped in with a bunch of other J-Rock and gaming tunes that I compliled into a playlist. I now know the origin of that soundtrack!!!! (Breath of Fire 4, if you hadn't pieced it together yet..) So the tunes immediately resonated with me as soon as I turned it on.

CHARACTER LOVE/ I typically hate the "robot" arch type characters but something about Ershin is really cool. The sort of schizo-third-person-gender-specific-sentience elevates her beyond a typical bot in my book. It also helps that I find her a bit easier to navigate with while dashing using the analog.

EDIT: I just admit I'm nearly 30 years old with blue hair. Somehow, this seems pathetic and sad in some sense to me. But truth be told, the fact that I draw pretty pictures on skin for a living keeps me feeling and believing I never really grew up for some reason.

EDIT
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 01:28:28 AM by Klyde Chroma » Logged

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.

Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1459 on: July 17, 2014, 09:04:21 AM »

So I was wrong about Borderlands being a second week addition to the 2k humble (x-com complete pack instead).
It's worth it just for the Bioshock games and specops: the line so I'm probably going to pick it up anyway.

Still making my way through Dead Space. Up to chapter 8 so I'm getting pretty close to completing my first run (though its technically my second playthrough).
I'm not entirely sure what you get the second time around other than the
Code:
combat rig
which you get very early on.
The game hits a sweet spot with me, a great blend of shooter elements with story, exploration, progression and atmosphere.

NOW PLAYING:
Final Fantasy XIII: The time has come...
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout: Its...Odd...
One Finger Death Punch: F*ck Yeah! - The game
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1460 on: July 18, 2014, 09:15:00 PM »

I've been enjoying A Wolf Among Us. I've downloaded all 5 eps, and just started #3. Unfortunately, it kept locking up in the same spot last night. I would have to turn the PS3 off manually each time because I couldn't do anything. I even went and downloaded ep 3 again to see if it would work, but it still locked up. What the hell can I do? Erase the game entirely, and start over? How do I recover my cloud save? This sucks.

Edit: I'm not up on Disgaea. What is that thing next to my name? What the heck am I? Kind of looks like one of those bull skulls you run into in the middle of the New Mexico desert. Not that I've ever been there.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 09:29:55 PM by GrimReality » Logged

Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: Mistbron#3: Hero of Ages
Annubis

ee yan~☆

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1461 on: July 18, 2014, 11:07:02 PM »

I've done it. I've beaten Dark Souls.
It's an experience alright.

Part of me is glad that it's over as I've had a lot of frustrating moments going through it.
Another part of me is sad that it's over though as the game, overall, is very fun and rewarding.

Most of the game omitted certain little things is very fair. most of my deaths were my fault and had I played better, I would have lived.
It also does a great job teaching you things that they expect you to apply.

(I think I played the game much slower than most as my final save is at 92 hours - I did do everything though)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 11:15:56 PM by Annubis » Logged
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1462 on: July 19, 2014, 02:46:34 AM »

Edit: I'm not up on Disgaea. What is that thing next to my name? What the heck am I? Kind of looks like one of those bull skulls you run into in the middle of the New Mexico desert. Not that I've ever been there.

A Reaper, which is -dundundun- a reaper-like monster with high magic and attack stacks. They're also good at destroying the enemy's SP.
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1463 on: July 19, 2014, 06:24:23 AM »

Beat the second ending of Muramasa 3rd DLC. It was great. Thinking I am going to force my way through Tales of Symphonia 2 next.
Wild Armor
Observer
Contributing Editor

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1464 on: July 19, 2014, 04:32:14 PM »

Started up some Mobile Suit Gundam: Federation VS. Zeon. Fun times!

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1465 on: July 19, 2014, 05:25:05 PM »

I've done it. I've beaten Dark Souls.
It's an experience alright.

Part of me is glad that it's over as I've had a lot of frustrating moments going through it.
Another part of me is sad that it's over though as the game, overall, is very fun and rewarding.

Most of the game omitted certain little things is very fair. most of my deaths were my fault and had I played better, I would have lived.
It also does a great job teaching you things that they expect you to apply.

(I think I played the game much slower than most as my final save is at 92 hours - I did do everything though)

You did everything on one playthrough? Seeing and doing everything that there is to do in the Souls series takes around 2 or 3 playthroughs usually per game. And that's when you know what you're doing and also know the environment around you.

Still, as a fan that has put (for normal people's standards) way too much time into the series, I'm glad over time more and more people here has give at least Dark Souls a chance.
Monsoon
Electric Mayhem
Contributing Editor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1466 on: July 19, 2014, 05:50:47 PM »

More XenoBlade, with LOTS of ****ing around in Sartorl Marsh.  Level 29, and dying repeatedly against the Reckless Godwin unique mob.  Gonna try to explore the rest of the swamp and maybe find the endpoint before going back to beat him and complete the Nopon rescue quest.  I'm not savvy enough at this game to beat him slightly underleveled. 

Also: Dunban's the man.  I like how his arts chain together and I find him more entertaining to use as the point character than Shulk or Reyn.  Just sayin'. 

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1467 on: July 19, 2014, 06:18:22 PM »

I remember the first time I fought the Godwin. Chased it halfway around the map only to get clobbered. Was level 30, too...wasn't able to beat it until I was 33, I think...

Anyways, I played a little Tge Dark Spire and completed the first two quests. Good times, this game is still as fun as I remember.

Also bought and played some Crystalis for the NES. For an old action-RPG, it holds up remarkably well (...graphical hiccups aside...). Made it through the first dungeon without much trouble, at least.

EDIT:

Now I'm playing through RealMyst. This game is surprisingly engrossing. I never expected to be hit with real puzzles, but I've actually had to think and the answers make sense most of the time thus far...
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 09:11:00 PM by Mickeymac92 » Logged

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Draak

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1468 on: July 19, 2014, 10:25:17 PM »

Finished Saints Row 4. Yeah, I'm disappointed with this one.

I loved the references to the past games, but it didn't feel like a SR game. I think it was the emphasis on the sci-fi stuff and the super powers, too out of the place. The main campaign was weak and the humor was hit or miss, whereas SR2/3 were spot-on. Gameplay-wise, the novelty of the powers wore off fast and it got dull in a way the past games didn't.

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1469 on: July 19, 2014, 11:14:26 PM »

More XenoBlade, with LOTS of ****ing around in Sartorl Marsh.  Level 29, and dying repeatedly against the Reckless Godwin unique mob.  Gonna try to explore the rest of the swamp and maybe find the endpoint before going back to beat him and complete the Nopon rescue quest.  I'm not savvy enough at this game to beat him slightly underleveled. 

Also: Dunban's the man.  I like how his arts chain together and I find him more entertaining to use as the point character than Shulk or Reyn.  Just sayin'. 

Step 1. Crank Dunban's Agility with gems
Step 2. Equip Nightvision and fight Godwin at night
Step 3. ?????
Step 4. Profit

Alternatively, use the throw stone command to lure the weakest mobs from the rest of the pack and beat them up. Repeat until you agrro Godwin then just fight it out and hope for the best.

I remember the first time I fought the Godwin. Chased it halfway around the map only to get clobbered. Was level 30, too...wasn't able to beat it until I was 33, I think...

Anyways, I played a little Tge Dark Spire and completed the first two quests. Good times, this game is still as fun as I remember.

Also bought and played some Crystalis for the NES. For an old action-RPG, it holds up remarkably well (...graphical hiccups aside...). Made it through the first dungeon without much trouble, at least.

It's actually fairly solid until you start running into elemental resistances, especially once you near the endgame and start running into those fucking mummies and their Wind Only weakness (basically think Metroid Prime's Chozo Ghosts if you're familiar with them).

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 181 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: