Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 22, 2014, 04:31:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341303 Posts in 13950 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Game Journals
| | |-+  A Game Journal Reborn
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 182 Print
Author Topic: A Game Journal Reborn  (Read 84006 times)
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1470 on: July 20, 2014, 07:49:12 AM »

So I started Tales of Symphonia 2....I'm not sure what possessed me to do this. I hate Emil, he is a horrible main character. The whole Lloyd being a murderer plot is stupid, since there is absolutely no way it is true. The only joy I am getting from this game is that Marta is hilarious at times. But yeah.....this game sucks.
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1471 on: July 20, 2014, 03:31:26 PM »

Just finished off F.E.A.R. Extraction Point. It does the "horror" part better than the main game (doesn't do it quite as well as Silent Hill which I'm almost certain was the inspiration for the horror sections, but its competent). Not the best shooter I've ever played, but not the worst either. The game has a lot going for it, just doesn't excel at anything in particular.
Code:
The ending is another cliffhanger obviously fishing for the next expansion or a sequel. Must have worked though as both happened.

Wrapped up (Welcome to) Deponia as well. It's pretty good, a plot hole here and there but nothing too serious that suspension of disbelief wont compensate for. There is a game breaking bug near the end that I ran into.
Code:
Near the end of the game you have to construct a sling to knock out a light. You make it out of an ornament and some bubble gum. The ornament is also used to construct a cane in combination with the broomstick handle. The sling can be disassembled, the cane can not. If you make the cane first you're stuck for good. I made the sling first but ended up taking it apart and constructing the cane before I found a stone to use with the sling.
Fortunately for me I had a fairly recent save. In fact it was the only save I had, so it was a close call, but it didn't set me back too much. Looking forward to the next game.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 03:35:45 PM by Maxximum » Logged

NOW PLAYING:
Final Fantasy XIII: The time has come...
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout: Its...Odd...
One Finger Death Punch: F*ck Yeah! - The game
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1472 on: July 21, 2014, 12:49:37 AM »

So I started Tales of Symphonia 2....I'm not sure what possessed me to do this. I hate Emil, he is a horrible main character. The whole Lloyd being a murderer plot is stupid, since there is absolutely no way it is true. The only joy I am getting from this game is that Marta is hilarious at times. But yeah.....this game sucks.

The two people who "love" this game are actually, legitimately, factually, and objectively wrong.  It's a mess and the people who made it should feel bad for wasting everyone's time.

More XenoBlade, with LOTS of ****ing around in Sartorl Marsh.  Level 29, and dying repeatedly against the Reckless Godwin unique mob.  Gonna try to explore the rest of the swamp and maybe find the endpoint before going back to beat him and complete the Nopon rescue quest.  I'm not savvy enough at this game to beat him slightly underleveled. 

Also: Dunban's the man.  I like how his arts chain together and I find him more entertaining to use as the point character than Shulk or Reyn.  Just sayin'. 

You can play through the game without anything...really complex tactics if you just go back every so often and do quests.  I really recommend this at some point in the next section after you get Riki because there's a tough boss then.
(I was late replying to a Dice Top 10 Game post so I'll just leave it at that and hit around the next one)

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1473 on: July 21, 2014, 05:40:14 AM »

Started making my way through Chaos on Deponia. Other than the rather half assed way they re-introduced Goal (though that may get elaborated on later down the line), its been pretty good so far.

NOW PLAYING:
Klyde Chroma
LVL 12. Obsessive Compulsive Fruity Assassin

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1474 on: July 21, 2014, 07:54:41 AM »

Upon careful assessment of my life, I realized it is quite possible to allow for longer gaming sessions. This has led to me gaming like a kid again and loving it. I actually want to start a thread about some things, but that is irrelevant (is it strange that I daydream of threads I want to find the time to start? I swear they would be EPIC!!)

Anyways...

DRAKENGARD 3/ Beat branch A. While it will be some time before I return to Branch B this title has already proved worth every penny. The ending, while very clearly setting you up for more was so appropriate in its own right. I have to beg to disagree with all the complaints I heard about it being so inconclusive. I thought it rocked. Thematically it fit nicely, had a VERY intriguing twist and totally satisfied me all while providing more than ample incentive to play the game again. I couldn't ask for more out of an ending to be honest.

SPECIAL NOTE: I bitched about the glitchiness erroneously. I played the last two chapters on my alternate PS3 and it ran smooth as can be. Ok, so it wasn't quite smooth... But it totally was NOT AT ALL as bad as it was on my first system. This strikes me as really odd seeing as how they are both the same model (60gb) PS3's. Any thoughts? I actually experienced the reverse with Disgaea (glitchy on the system which proved smooth for Drakengard).

^^ This has screwed with me and made me wonder whether of not I should try every game on both now the second I start to experience problems.

BREATH OF FIRE 4: Got me a wind flute and LOVING this game. In so many ways it is flawed however (as Dice predicted) the charm cannot be denied. My biggest gripe is navigating accurately with the 3/4 perspective and wonky grid based way the sprites move, particularly whilst trying to solve puzzles that demand directional certainty. In the grand scheme though, that is minor complaint for a 15 year old game.

^^I love the little cameo's of other characters in breath of fire games. They somehow feel extra special to me. Just came across Momo in Wyndia and was very amused. To this day I remember how blown away I was as kid to discover a certain hidden Naga Mage Character in BoF2.

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.

Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1475 on: July 21, 2014, 08:02:22 AM »

SPECIAL NOTE: I bitched about the glitchiness erroneously. I played the last two chapters on my alternate PS3 and it ran smooth as can be. Ok, so it wasn't quite smooth... But it totally was NOT AT ALL as bad as it was on my first system. This strikes me as really odd seeing as how they are both the same model (60gb) PS3's.

Just out of curiosity, why would you have two identical PS3's?
Might be a difference in firmware depending on weather or not you do regular updates on both systems or just your main one.

NOW PLAYING:
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1476 on: July 21, 2014, 12:26:29 PM »

40 hours into Person 4 Golden.

Code:
Just got to the dungeon to rescue Naoto. After spending the last 5ish hours with no fighting and just dialog after they thought Mitsuo was the killer...yeah that practically killed me! I hate the pacing in this game at times. I know you can go back in and grind for some levels etc... but if I'm not progressing the story what is the point! Does anybody have a rough estimate on how much longer I have in this game (without spoilers obviously). It is starting to test my patience a bit.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 12:30:50 PM by Blace » Logged

Der Jermeister

The Angry Videogame Fur

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1477 on: July 21, 2014, 04:04:22 PM »

@Blace I beat Persona 4 Golden in around 25 hours so I'm not sure how longer you have and don't remember the specifics on when the game ends.

Bravely Default - I'm pretty much ready for this game to be over, having reached the final area, although the first boss slaughters me by making my party weak to all elements and massacring my party with Zeta Flare. I'll try to counter it by keeping the boss's Magic Attack power down with the Pirate's skills, and I've buffed up my party's magic defenses, got all the asterisks, explored the extra dungeon a little, and done most of the extra sidequests.

Final Fantasy IV: The After Years (iOS) - I'm an hour into Rydia's story, and I'm somewhat struggling due to a lack of healing magic, although two of the characters can randomly heal when they use their Band, and I have a few other helpful Bands as well that I've been leveling alongside my character's experience levels.

Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World (Tales of Symphonia Chronicles) - I'm near the end of Chapter 7 and I beat one of the bosses of the basement area of Altamira. Haven't needed to use my monsters often since I get characters from the first game in my party at most points.

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1478 on: July 21, 2014, 04:15:51 PM »

How do you beat Persona 4 Golden in 25 hours? o.o

I was closer to 80 hours.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1479 on: July 21, 2014, 04:22:17 PM »

Vanilla Persona 4 took me over 100 hours...

Der Jermeister

The Angry Videogame Fur

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1480 on: July 21, 2014, 04:31:36 PM »

I was surprised myself, and I didn't completely skip over the sidequests or Social Links. My playthrough with the PS2 version did take me 60-80 hours, though, but again, I don't know.

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1481 on: July 21, 2014, 04:47:30 PM »

Trying to play Baldur's Gate, but I'm getting sooo bored, and I'm still in the prologue. I'm not even sure what it is that's making it so boring? Walking speed, maybe? The whole game just feels rediculously slow and dull, at least at this point. I guess I wouldn't be so impatient if it didn't take me 20 minutes just to make a character, only to do jack squat for the next 6 hours...

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1482 on: July 21, 2014, 06:04:56 PM »

Finished The Last of Us. Great game. I only thought it was an above average game at first but after the hotel area, things really picked up. I can kind of see what Ygg meant when he spoke about the violence (both story and gameplay) I didn't mind the story violence myself but the gameplay finishers were a tad excessive after a while. I loved how it was not just clear an area and then explore it. There were large chunks before you ran into your next enemy. The gameplay (including stealthily dealing with enemies) actually reminded me of puzzle games more than anything else. I also liked how the infected were not really in it as much as I thought they would. Human encounters seemed a lot more common. It made them still seem a threat whenever they showed up.

I also finished Episode 1, 2 and 3 of The Walking Dead: Season 2. Loved it. I didn't mind Clem's walking speed at all. Walking is nowhere as common as it was in Season 1. really looking forward to episode 4 in a few days. Not looking forward to the wait for episode 5 at all :(

Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1483 on: July 21, 2014, 06:15:50 PM »

How do you beat Persona 4 Golden in 25 hours? o.o

I was closer to 80 hours.

There's no way this was beaten on a brand new playthrough in 25 hours! haha Unless you literally were jamming the X button through all dialog and disregarding all shadows while dungeon crawling. That is beyond insane.

Klyde Chroma
LVL 12. Obsessive Compulsive Fruity Assassin

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1484 on: July 21, 2014, 06:37:41 PM »

SPECIAL NOTE: I bitched about the glitchiness erroneously. I played the last two chapters on my alternate PS3 and it ran smooth as can be. Ok, so it wasn't quite smooth... But it totally was NOT AT ALL as bad as it was on my first system. This strikes me as really odd seeing as how they are both the same model (60gb) PS3's.

Just out of curiosity, why would you have two identical PS3's?
Might be a difference in firmware depending on weather or not you do regular updates on both systems or just your main one.

Basically I have 2 seperate areas for games. Initially I got a second PS3 because I happened across a stellar deal on a new unit and I was going to resell it and make a quick 200 (at least that is what I told myself to justify it!!). I reconsidered and kept it to have a PS3 in both areas. My other gaming hardware doesn't get near as much use as the ps3 it seems. The vast majority of what I want to play falls between the PS1-PS3 era and a 60bg unit is the best way I have found to experience that on newer televisions.

Both are routinely used and updated to the same firmware.

Final Fantasy IV: The After Years (iOS) - I'm an hour into Rydia's story, and I'm somewhat struggling due to a lack of healing magic, although two of the characters can randomly heal when they use their Band, and I have a few other helpful Bands as well that I've been leveling alongside my character's experience levels.

I played through the PSP version. However if they are ANYTHING alike, don't like the struggle get you down. The vast majority of everything beyond Rydia right up until end-game is marginally easier..... so much so it proved extremely disappointing to me.

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.

Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 182 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: