Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2014, 05:21:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334721 Posts in 13708 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  A Game Journal Reborn
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 152 Print
Author Topic: A Game Journal Reborn  (Read 63201 times)
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1515 on: July 24, 2014, 10:00:06 PM »

After finishing Dark Soul, I jumped straight into another Action RPG; namely, Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning.

Considering this is the first (and only) game out of a studio, it is simply amazing.
I'm rocking Faeblades + Chakram playing some kind of rogue mage.

I usually don't care much about magic... but YOU CAN SNEAK ATTACK WITH MAGIC! MOUHAHAHAHA =D

The only thing I'm scared of is that perhaps the game will lose its shine, as looking at the map, this will be a very long game.
Then again, I did 'complete' Skyrim twice, so I may be 'hardy' enough.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1516 on: July 25, 2014, 01:02:05 AM »

So now that I've finally exhausted my interest in Teh 3rd Birthday, I've decided to put it away and get back to some real gaming. Namely starting up some Tactics Ogre.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1517 on: July 25, 2014, 01:09:25 AM »

So now that I've finally exhausted my interest in Teh 3rd Birthday, I've decided to put it away and get back to some real gaming. Namely starting up some Tactics Ogre.

Helluva choice there --- good job!
I was so happy that there were some tarot card pre-order bonuses when I got around to working at EB.  I made love to that thing once.

More XenoBlade and ALBW.  Just reached Frontier Village in the former and I've rescued three Sages in the latter (Thieves Hideout, Desert Palace, and Turtle Rock).  Both of these games ****ing rock.  Much better follow-ups to the kinda disappointing Arkham City. 

Keep posting!

Turtle Rock was surprisingly tough for me first trying (I noticed everything is out to kill you there)
Desert Palace had a ballin' dungeon, but probably the toughest boss (which...isn't saying much...).
Thieves Hideout ran with a decent idea, I thought.  Wish they took it one step further.  Cool boss.

Frontier Village, I think, has the most quests (and IIRC, a series that single-handedly nets the most exp and rewards far on).  It's also the biggest pain in the ass to walk through.... Fucking adorable Nopon! >:S
Also, in more cool Xenoblade sites: Look up from the top of the village to see the next place...  And I didn't know this, but you can *ACTUALLY* see Colony 9 from Colony 6; it's small, but it's there, and a part of the Monolith's great attention to detail.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1518 on: July 25, 2014, 06:54:54 AM »

Persona 4 Golden finally picked the pace back up for plot. Been enjoying it again. Just finished doing the concert in Junes, which was actually a pretty cool scene. I'm hoping the plot opens up a bit more about the killer now and stops tiptoeing around it. I feel like there was some fat that could have been trimmed. Almost up to 50 hours. Yeesh.
Concert in Junes? I really need to play Golden sometime. I have a feeling that some of the "fat" you speak of is probably stuff that was added to make Golden better. Can't really tell you whether they move on to focusing on the killer anytime soon since I have zero idea of where in the plot you are at this point.

After finishing Dark Soul, I jumped straight into another Action RPG; namely, Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning.

Considering this is the first (and only) game out of a studio, it is simply amazing.
I'm rocking Faeblades + Chakram playing some kind of rogue mage.

I usually don't care much about magic... but YOU CAN SNEAK ATTACK WITH MAGIC! MOUHAHAHAHA =D

The only thing I'm scared of is that perhaps the game will lose its shine, as looking at the map, this will be a very long game.
Then again, I did 'complete' Skyrim twice, so I may be 'hardy' enough.
Aamlur was fun, although the best part was the faction sidequests. Probably was a bit longer than my normal preference, but you should have a good time.
Annubis

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1519 on: July 25, 2014, 08:37:55 AM »

Aamlur was fun, although the best part was the faction sidequests. Probably was a bit longer than my normal preference, but you should have a good time.

Oh yeah? I've been focusing on lowering my side quests and not touching those for now.
I'll try doing one tonight.
Der Jermeister

The Angry Videogame Fur

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1520 on: July 25, 2014, 03:50:52 PM »

Beat Tales of Symphonia 2 PS3. Was generally satisfied with the game, though the localization was chock full of missing punctuation.

Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1521 on: July 25, 2014, 04:51:28 PM »

Persona 4 Golden finally picked the pace back up for plot. Been enjoying it again. Just finished doing the concert in Junes, which was actually a pretty cool scene. I'm hoping the plot opens up a bit more about the killer now and stops tiptoeing around it. I feel like there was some fat that could have been trimmed. Almost up to 50 hours. Yeesh.
Concert in Junes? I really need to play Golden sometime. I have a feeling that some of the "fat" you speak of is probably stuff that was added to make Golden better. Can't really tell you whether they move on to focusing on the killer anytime soon since I have zero idea of where in the plot you are at this point.
I had not thought of that some of this stuff could have been added. I played about 40 hours of the PS2 version and seem to remember liking the pacing of that version more, but some of the stuff they have added is really nice. Mainly the quick travel features.

Last person I rescued from the TV was
Code:
Naoto
. That was about 3-4 hours of gameplay ago I would say. I
Code:
just got a letter in the mail saying to stop rescuing people

Klyde Chroma
Lvl. 7 Fruity Ninja and Dincrest groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1522 on: July 25, 2014, 08:04:20 PM »

Decided to try Modnation Racers on account of the fact that I NEVER play cart racer games. I honestly think the last I played was the first Mario Kart.

Oh God....

I don't even really know what to say other than someone could lose their life to the creation station. I think I'm gonna put this away on account of the fact that I will probably waste glorious amounts of time making characters from RPG's, complex cart stickers, and NEVER actually racing. The customization could be a game in and of itself. I am too OCD for editors such as this.

I see two paths in life... gaming and enjoying it or spending an eternity creating a secret of mana inspired racing course- LoL

EDIT: I did manage to meticulously craft a "Klyde" character and my RPG-Mobile. I am done. I could care less about cart racing to be honest. I feel frustrated....
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 08:06:02 PM by Klyde Chroma » Logged

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1523 on: July 25, 2014, 09:17:51 PM »

Keep posting!
h'okay.  

Since the last posting I've also beaten the Swamp Palace and the Palace of Darkness.  Did some exploring, some sidequesting, and (mostly) some snail hunting.  82 maiamai total.  Now I have all of Ravio's items bought and eight of them upgraded to Nice (all but the boomerang).  

I thought Turtle Rock had the toughest dungeon and boss of the five Lorule dungeons I've played, but that is probably in large part because it was the second one I did in Lorule.  I still had green mail, the Lv.1 Master Sword, and only the Bow, Fire Rod, and Ice Rod upgraded to Nice (I specifically waited to enter until I upgraded the Ice Rod).  I had a rough time in Turtle Rock, dying once (only time in the game where that happened), but resetting to the weathervane save rather than buy my rental items again.  The Desert Palace was manageable and getting the Titan's Mitt accelerated my income in a major way (in both rupees and maiamai).  I haven't had to use a guide at all to find nearly everything I've wanted to, with the lone exception of the Master Ore in the Palace of Darkness.  I stared at that stupid map, already having finished the dungeon, for close to 30 minutes before I decided "**** this, I'mma check GameFAQs."  Spinning wall triggered by the lower switch.  Tricky.  

My very first impression of the game was "this is not wasting any time at all."  Less than 20 minutes in I met some core characters, been introduced to item renting, and thrown into a dungeon.  Traveling the map is easier than ever thanks to weathervanes.  Getting from dungeon to dungeon or encounter to encounter is easy, but has incredible design variety and changing tactics.  Every dungeon has 1 or 2 signature items, without *obviously* revolving around the item and making each item VERY useable and powerful outside its own dungeon (thus dispelling one of my issues with the Zelda games' basic design).  Rupee collection is rapid and satisfying, since there will basically always be something to spend them on; on a similar note, Maiamai collection rules because there are a TON of them, they never seem unreasonably hidden, and there is an awesome, palpable reward for each ten you find.  Smart stuff, Nintendo.  

I don't really have any serious issues with ALBW.  It wears its gimmicks fantastically (wall paintings, moving between worlds, and renting items are all rock solid), the map is dense with things to discover and collect, and the action is superb.  The item rental concept is ingenious, and soon you're gaining rupees at such an incredible rate that keeping those nine things in your inventory permanently is totally manageable.  The dungeons are all great, but they feel a little small and short compared to the classics in A Link to the Past or the incredible scale and spectacle of the 3D Zelda games' dungeons.  I love the dungeons I've done, but they seem a little too quick and too easy.  Maybe I'm just too much of a veteran, but this seems like Zelda Lite at times.  A fantastic, refreshing, delicious Zelda Lite, but still a little too breezy.  That's my biggest (only?) complaint about the game, and it barely even counts.  

And I wonder how much of it's nostalgia.  Sure, the map and items are all great, but the map is almost a 100% landmark-for-landmark recreation of one of my favorite games ever.  Probably more than 60% of the soundtrack is well-produced re-imaginings of old tracks.  Almost every item and gameplay tidbit from ALttP is brought back and improved a little bit.  OF COURSE I'll really like it.  Even when it changes in tiny ways it's enough to blow my mind a little bit and get me excited - I got *way* too pumped from seeing that Turtle Rock and the Ice Ruins switched places.  Similar thing to see a snow-covered Death Mountain.  Is this just awesome, or a bit of a cheap ploy?  Probably both, but I don't care.  It's done with enough attention to detail and smart adjustments that I'm enjoying just about all of it.  

So that's that.  Two more Sages to rescue, and presumably a final dungeon.  Will probably finish it this weekend.  Dunno if I'll get all the snails, but I definitely want at least 90 so I can get all my items up to Nice.  Next time I post here it will probably be a LOT of XenoBlade ramblings.  

TL;DR A Link Between Worlds is pretty good.  You should play it.  Already not regretting buying this 3DS last weekend.  

Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1524 on: July 26, 2014, 07:42:38 AM »

Beat Tales of Symphonia 2 last night. Oh thank god it is over. This game really is Gundam Seed Destiny. >.> Storyline was maybe kinda tolerable once Lloyd joined up, but that was so freaking late in the game. I did like the Lloyd/Sheena pairing scene because it was sweet. However I never came to like Emil who is the main character of the storyline through and through. And the scenes get so freaking slow towards the end of the game. x_x The most enjoyment I got out of this game was the "bad ending" because I was laughing so hard when it happened...

Code:
Specifically I found joy in Emil hurting those he cares for and realizing he is a horrible person because I hated him so much. God damn it, that sounds horrible when I type it out. Look what you did to me Tales of Symphonia 2! Are you happy?

So yeah. That nightmare is now over. Time to watch some Gundam Seed for a while and then cheeseout the remaining trophies....I'm not sure if I'll watch Destiny as well. I feel like I have to, but I don't know if I hate myself that much right now.

I had not thought of that some of this stuff could have been added. I played about 40 hours of the PS2 version and seem to remember liking the pacing of that version more, but some of the stuff they have added is really nice. Mainly the quick travel features.

Last person I rescued from the TV was
Code:
Naoto
. That was about 3-4 hours of gameplay ago I would say. I
Code:
just got a letter in the mail saying to stop rescuing people
Assuming nothing has been added, you are at the point now where the rest of the main story focuses on figuring out the killer/the killer himself. Depending on which ending you go for there are 1-3 dungeons left (well I don't remember if the third one is a complete dungeon or not....probably not).
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 07:58:22 AM by Ranadiel » Logged
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1525 on: July 26, 2014, 10:30:22 AM »

Keep posting!
h'okay.  
 I haven't had to use a guide at all to find nearly everything I've wanted to, with the lone exception of the Master Ore in the Palace of Darkness.  I stared at that stupid map, already having finished the dungeon, for close to 30 minutes before I decided "**** this, I'mma check GameFAQs."  Spinning wall triggered by the lower switch.  Tricky.  

I love the fact that the Palace of Darkness has so many secret passages. There have been so many Zelda dungeons lately that simply forgo secret rooms and passages for maybe one or two tricks that its nice to see a Zelda game get tricky like that. Even if its just for Rupees and Fairies, its a hell of a lot better than the 'going down the room checklist' style dungeons of OoT and beyond.

Anyways, TO:LUCT. I'm already liking the remake just for the fact that you don't need to perform actions all the time to gain Exp. Just participating and surviving battle is enough to build levels and this frees one of my people up to go hunting for buried treasures (now I just need to find somebody fast enough to actually make it to said treasures).

Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1526 on: July 26, 2014, 04:07:46 PM »

I got Code Of Princess since it was on sale for like $15. First game purchase I've made in a long while, actually (I usually just bum my games from my brothers).

For $15, it was an alright deal. If I had gotten this for $40 I would've felt totally ripped off. Beat the game pretty quickly with Solange without any grinding whatsoever, just a straight playthrough. Don't think I died a single time.

There's some serious balance issues with this game, playing around a little bit with the other characters afterwards, I find that Ali is worthless (though I'm sure if I had put all her stats all into VIT, STR and DEF she'd work just fine too) and Zozo and Allegio can both cheese the hell out of the game. There's basically no reason to make your character anything other than a bruiser because this game's definition of difficulty is to just make the enemies a bunch of cheapasses. The only boss fight that took some thought other than "press b a lot" was the last boss.

Also missing the replay value Guardian Heroes had since that game had a bunch of endings, branching paths and whatnot. That and the stages were actually longer than maybe 3 or 4 screens.
kofvscapcom
Rereveagence

kofvscapcom
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1527 on: July 26, 2014, 10:09:06 PM »

Borrowed SMT 4 from a friend and got like 20 hours into it. Really enjoying the game and fusing stuff but the inability to see your current alignment is kinda annoying. Also, the street pass system is cool in this game but I'll prolly never find another person who has it. Deciding if I wanna get the dlc for app point grinding since you just can't have enough app points.

Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1528 on: July 26, 2014, 10:33:06 PM »

Borrowed SMT 4 from a friend and got like 20 hours into it. Really enjoying the game and fusing stuff but the inability to see your current alignment is kinda annoying. Also, the street pass system is cool in this game but I'll prolly never find another person who has it. Deciding if I wanna get the dlc for app point grinding since you just can't have enough app points.

A guy will show up at many of the pubs later on in the game that'll give you a general approximation of your alignment. But you're still gonna need a guide if you're gunning for Neutral.

Annubis

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1529 on: July 26, 2014, 11:10:47 PM »

I spent the entire day questing in Amalur.
I managed to empty me "side" section.
Currently sitting at 130 quests completed. I have no idea what that would be in the grand scheme of things.

I'm hoping I get to travel to the other continent soon.
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 152 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: