Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2014, 12:00:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
337994 Posts in 13836 Topics by 2212 Members
Latest Member: WhiteWishes
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Game Journals
| | |-+  A Game Journal Reborn
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 169 Print
Author Topic: A Game Journal Reborn  (Read 72365 times)
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1530 on: July 27, 2014, 12:21:57 AM »

Re-subbed to SWTOR recently with some friends and having a great time with it .Aside from that I've been playing the Destiny beta and I love it. First game for the new consoles im excited about.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1531 on: July 27, 2014, 07:27:27 PM »

My Revolution 60 (iOS) review is up and I wholeheartedly recommend anyone with an iOS device to check it out

http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/Revolution_60/index.html

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Monsoon
Electric Mayhem
Contributing Editor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1532 on: July 27, 2014, 08:33:58 PM »

Finished ALBW.  Great ending.  I still think the dungeons were a little too brief, but almost everything about that game is exactly what I want in a Zelda title. 

Started up Bravely Default and it's meeting all of my expectations.  Fun twists on turn-based combat, job system that seems great so far, and a mostly-appealing cast of characters.  Really enjoy it so far. 

And I want 3DS friend codes now!  PM me yours and I'll send you mine!  Unless there's a topic or something for it.  I'll check around for it later. 

Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1533 on: July 28, 2014, 01:33:18 PM »

Wow Persona 4 Golden really picked up finally. About 62 hours in now.

Code:
Found out that the delivery truck guy was taking all the people and throwing them into the TV. The animated sequence with Dojima chasing him down in the car on the highway was pretty cool. His boss was really effing hard. Harder than the bosses after him for me because he takes control of your characters. Found out he was actually trying to save the people rather than murder them. That scene where Yosuke wanted to throw him in the TV in his hospital room was so tempting, but I figured it wasn't the right thing to do and sure enough a true ending guide said to not do it. I so wanted to (at the time, but I'm glad that I did not since he isn't the real killer). After doing some more talking with members about how the killer knew what we were doing at all times it seemed and could walk up to the house to deliver those letters without rousing suspicion, I kind of figured it was someone close like Adachi, but it was still surprising to find out. Really cool that they didn't just throw it at you and had you do everything yourself. I like the decision making and freedom. I just beat Adachi's boss which was much easier than I was anticipating (I'm level 72) and had to put my Vita in sleep mode during the boss right after him since I had to go to work. That was torture. I know have to wait 8 hours till I go home to finish it haha. I am really disappointed in Adachi's motivations though. Massively disappointed. Just doing it for fun, no real motivation? Kind of lame. Maybe there's more to it later, but I found that just so lame on many levels after such a huge build-up.

Der Jermeister

The Angry Videogame Fur

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1534 on: July 28, 2014, 02:36:41 PM »

On Palom's Tale in FF4: The After Years iOS, and have been moving smoothly.

Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1535 on: July 28, 2014, 06:45:47 PM »

I had been playing DDS in 1-2 hour sessions every other day but finally today it grabbed me. Played for almost 7 hours, currently 18 hours in and I'm just about to leave the 2nd base after having done the ship dungeon.

The story/characters are picking up and that's what grabbed me. The battle system is still a lot of fun. Basically I love everything about it now except for the dungeons.. Half of the dungeons at least have been pretty lukewarm for me(the environments are generally a bit too repetitive but I guess that's to be expected from a dungeon crawler), I especially don't like when they take longer than 3 hours to complete.

Like the first 2 dungeons were good and then Solid's Fortess&Coordinate 136((I liked the puzzles and the theme here but damn, 5 hours in the same place can be a bit exhausting) were a bit meh, the ship was fun enough though.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 06:47:39 PM by Holykael1 » Logged

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1536 on: July 28, 2014, 07:58:00 PM »

I'm at the Dark Palace in ALBW.

Decided to give Kingdom Hearts another chance last night.

Got past the first world and into Alice In Wonderland world....but the game is just not grabbing me.

The music is really good but playing the game just.....makes me cringe.

And I can see why people hate the Gummi ship, although it's not quite as bad as I expected.

Tried some Dark Souls last night - got to the Taurus minotaur and was soundly thwumped.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1537 on: July 28, 2014, 08:25:20 PM »

Kindom Hearts gets better once you're past Wonderland. That was a terrible level to put so early in, IMO. While being confusing as heck might be true to the spirit of Wonderland, that doesn't really change the fact that it's confusing as heck. Gameplay also gets more fun once you get more abilities, obviously.

Although the Gummi Ship levels only get worse...

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1538 on: July 28, 2014, 08:34:14 PM »

That's good to know, thanks.

Maybe I'll try plowing through it tonight.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1539 on: July 28, 2014, 11:26:00 PM »

So I started playing the Love Live mobile game...I'm not the biggest fan of the show but I had heard that the game was actually pretty good.  Plus it's free, and it's pretty rare to see a game like this released in English.  Yes, there's an official English version.  So I figured why not give it a shot.

As you might guess from being based on an idol show it's a rhythm game at its core.  There are some VN-esque 'story' sequences as well but they seem pretty insubstantial.  But the rhythm game is honestly good.  The songs are about what you might expect from Love Love, pretty standard jpop stuff.  But they're not bad.  The interface is clean and it can be pretty challenging on higher difficulties without ever feeling unfair.

The problem is that this isn't just a rhythm game.  There's a bunch of RPG-esque character growth systems and your performance is determined your characters' stats as well as player skill.  The number of times I performed perfectly only to get a C rank because I'm just starting out and my stats aren't good enough is, well, large.  That might not be so bad if raising your stats didn't feel like such a grind.  This is a game that demands repetition, going through the same songs on the same difficulties over and over to get points and cards to spend on shit.

And that's where the free-to-play BS rears its ugly head.  This game falls into by now familiar model of having a sort of stamina gauge that depletes every time you perform a song and once it runs out you can't do anything.  It regenerates over time but of course you can also spend some limited-use items to replenish it instantly and of course more of those are available for purchase at any time.  So keep in mind what I said in the previous paragraph: The game wants you to play it over and over again to level up but it also restricts you from playing it too much unless you spend money.  Could they be any more transparent?

Honestly, as a rhythm game it really isn't bad.  And if you're at all curious there's nothing stopping you from downloading it and fiddling around with it for a bit.  They make it pretty easy to get into.  But as you start to play it more you kind of wish that things would unlock faster and that they would let you just play it at your own pace.  In other words I can't help but think it would be a better game if you could just buy it and be done with all that nonsense.  Oh well...

Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1540 on: July 28, 2014, 11:39:21 PM »

While that sounds like I'll hate the game... I just have to try it now.
I mean, it's Love Live... in English! (I'm kinda sad that Love Live gets English love while Idolmaster gets the slap =/)

My biggest problem will be where can I play this?

At home? Why would I play on a cellphone when I have a computer and Steam
In transit? I just don't have the balls to play completely weeaboo games in front of strangers
On the throne it is I guess.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1541 on: July 29, 2014, 12:21:35 AM »

Aside from small quantities of Blue Wish Resurrection and Eden's Aegis, I haven't played hardly anything in two weeks.

I think Vesperia made me dislike gaming as a whole.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1542 on: July 29, 2014, 12:33:02 AM »

Kindom Hearts gets better once you're past Wonderland. That was a terrible level to put so early in, IMO. While being confusing as heck might be true to the spirit of Wonderland, that doesn't really change the fact that it's confusing as heck. Gameplay also gets more fun once you get more abilities, obviously.

Although the Gummi Ship levels only get worse...

I KNOW!  Oh man, Wonderland as the first level was a disastrous gameplay choice.  Hell, just about any level would have been more suitable.

I really hated KH1.  Even when I was a pretty uncritical, young gamer with a lot of love for Disney -- I got pretty tired of the game hitting Agrahbah and at some point around Hollow Bastian.  Really, the games are a fun trip with an "exciting" mid- and end-game.  The gameplay was so damn stiff though and the "magic system" was such a disaster.  I'm happy that the series really learned from its 'mistakes' though (and how!).

I do consider BBS the "Star Ocean" of the PSP (it's so fun to break the game).  I'm really looking forward to the 2.5 collection for KH BBS and II.

I had been playing DDS in 1-2 hour sessions every other day but finally today it grabbed me. Played for almost 7 hours, currently 18 hours in and I'm just about to leave the 2nd base after having done the ship dungeon.

The story/characters are picking up and that's what grabbed me. The battle system is still a lot of fun. Basically I love everything about it now except for the dungeons.. Half of the dungeons at least have been pretty lukewarm for me(the environments are generally a bit too repetitive but I guess that's to be expected from a dungeon crawler), I especially don't like when they take longer than 3 hours to complete.

Like the first 2 dungeons were good and then Solid's Fortess&Coordinate 136((I liked the puzzles and the theme here but damn, 5 hours in the same place can be a bit exhausting) were a bit meh, the ship was fun enough though.

I loved DDS for being surprisingly mature and...not too hammy (for a JRPG).  The plot takes a lot of itneresting dark twists and the monster design is really capitivating.

I think you hit the nail on the head with the repetitive (and really long) dungeons though.  Can't say that ever gets improved (and MAN, I got a live... Games really have to stop with Save Points in general).

Finished ALBW.  Great ending.  I still think the dungeons were a little too brief, but almost everything about that game is exactly what I want in a Zelda title. 

I think, as far as the Zelda series goes, it might have the *best* ending of the series. 
Code:
Has any other Zelda game actually taken you INTO the Sacred Realm??  Either way, the surprises and reveals at the end were great --- Ravio among them,

The dungeons were definitely brief, but the design was effective, I think.  IMO, look to Wind Waker for otherwise really uninspiring/unmemorable dungeon designs.  I'd rather short and better if I had to pick.  However, if I had to pick, I'd say Twilight Princess is actually the winner for most innovating/unique.  The puzzles and layout stayed innovative anyways.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Monsoon
Electric Mayhem
Contributing Editor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1543 on: July 29, 2014, 01:09:24 AM »

The superior dungeons (and greater number of dungeons) is 96% of the reasons why I prefer Twilight Princess to Wind Waker, even though Wind Waker has a lot going for it.  And I did like the short-but-sweet dungeons in ALBW, but I still wish they were a little larger or more elaborate.  I judge every Zelda game by its dungeons.  Self portrait

Now I'm doing two games at once: Bravely Default, which I bought shortly after finishing A Link Between Worlds, and Final Fantasy V, which I've played at least four or five times.  This time I'm doing a Four Job Fiesta run for charity. 

Holy **** those two games seem really similar at first.  Wind crystal breaks in the first few cutscenes.  Characters spring into action.  Accidental hero boy decides to help determined girl.  They meet amnesiac man.  Then they meet a feisty tough girl.  Job system with secondary skill equipments.  Predecessor games with similar ideas and job systems, but not even half as good (FF III and 4HOL).  OK, I'm reaching a little bit, but the whole time playing Bravely Default I keep getting FFV flashbacks.  Bizarre coincidence that I decided to do a 4JF right when I bought BD. 
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 01:13:53 AM by Monsoon » Logged

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1544 on: July 29, 2014, 04:56:29 PM »

Finally getting around to playing Radiant Dawn.

This game doesn't fuck around. T_T
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 05:21:00 PM by Starmongoose » Logged

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 169 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: