Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 02:27:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334822 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  A Game Journal Reborn
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 153 Print
Author Topic: A Game Journal Reborn  (Read 63815 times)
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1590 on: August 03, 2014, 04:21:32 PM »

I haven't been gaming much at all lately.
I downloaded Rev 60 based on Neal's rec, so we'll see how that goes.

Let me know if you like it. 

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1591 on: August 03, 2014, 04:32:08 PM »

I just got myself Trails in the Sky and the controller scheme is Japanese by default.
You can change it in the settings, but it makes me feel like the localization wasn't great if they couldn't even change the controller settings =/
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1592 on: August 03, 2014, 06:22:23 PM »

I'm playing it with the mouse. I'd prefer the keyboard, but, uh... A) It has some /secret reserved keys/ and B) It doesn't recognize all the keys I try to enter.

So coming up with an entirely comfortable keyboard layout isn't really doable. Also the menus are... very much made for mouse navigation instead of keyboard/controller navigation.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 08:46:31 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1593 on: August 03, 2014, 07:24:58 PM »

Bravely Default.  I'm at the end of Chapter 4 (or at least I assume I am), doing the Vampire Castle sidequest.  My characters are at level 54-55.  I killed all six dragons, but MAN the castle's regular enemies are kicking my ass.  Considering just turning off encounters and going straight to the boss, then using Performer/Stillness support to beat it.  In fact, I think I'll do just that.  *moseys over to charging station*

DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1594 on: August 03, 2014, 07:38:57 PM »

I just got myself Trails in the Sky and the controller scheme is Japanese by default.
You can change it in the settings, but it makes me feel like the localization wasn't great if they couldn't even change the controller settings =/

Considering that they went to the effort of backporting all the additions from PSP version and even re-edited the script, I don't think that's very fair. Keep in mind that it was originally meant for mouse and keyboard only, and released years before there was any kind of standardised PC controller layout like there is now with the 360/XBone.
Annubis

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1595 on: August 03, 2014, 08:07:06 PM »

Considering that they went to the effort of backporting all the additions from PSP version and even re-edited the script, I don't think that's very fair. Keep in mind that it was originally meant for mouse and keyboard only, and released years before there was any kind of standardised PC controller layout like there is now with the 360/XBone.

It is indeed pretty obvious that the game was made for mouse and keyboard as the tutorial at the start explains everything in keyboard and mouse.
I'm still not sure if I doing things correctly with my controller like the cut-in move in battle.

As for the effort, it's even funnier if you consider how hard they worked on the game yet nobody thought of modifying a simple .ini file.

QUESTION
How does time work? I see that some tasks have time.
What makes time go forward? Resting at the inn? Progressing main story? Real life hours?
DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1596 on: August 03, 2014, 08:14:55 PM »

Progressing the story. If you want to complete all the sidequests always do them before the main story, even if it means going out of your way to somewhere off the beaten path, since you never know when progressing is going to close a quest.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1597 on: August 03, 2014, 08:30:14 PM »

Considering that they went to the effort of backporting all the additions from PSP version

They actually didn't quite do this. The monster book doesn't work yet, for one thing.

Steam says I'm 9 hours into the game -- I just talked to the Bose mayor for the first time, so idk how slow I'm being with this.

- Wilderness areas between the towns so far have had the FFX problem where they're kind of long but also overly linear and mostly empty.

- The boss and optional monster fights have been interesting and have required strategy so far. The regular battles... go on longer than they need to. I like that buffs and debuffs actually seem to matter though, and FFX-style CTB stuff is always welcome in my book.

- I find myself skimming a lot of the text. The game is very text heavy but a lot of it doesn't... add much. Lots of waffley, unnecessary bits, or details being repeated. And yeah I know you can't really say this without sounding kind of douchey but it feels like it's aiming for a target demographic quite a few years younger than me.

- I'm not seeing much in the way of interesting worldbuilding so far, which was supposed to be one of the selling points of the game..?

When the game's actually /on/, it's really on, and the interesting parts are compelling me to keep playing, but they're drowning in a sea of filler.

Also determined that it was having mipmaps turned on that made the game look kind of bad. Textures are really sharp without that on.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 11:19:28 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not dream o/`

Annubis

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1598 on: August 04, 2014, 04:03:58 PM »

I'm still at the beginning of Trails in the Sky because I went out my way to go farm time gems off an enemy that drops only one and spawns somewhere I'm not supposed to be at.
Given that I have supplies of every gems expect time, the games doesn't want me to have them yet apparently.
Well, I do now.

TAKE THAT GAME !!!
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1599 on: August 04, 2014, 10:01:50 PM »

Legerdemain Skordalia - I'm in another large and empty dungeon, this time behind Ravennue Village, fighting a bunch of enemies that can heal themselves and it's weird to get a preemptive strike on them because radial symmetry, and getting the preemptive strike is basically mandatory for getting the flame spells out on time.

Noticed Steel Empire 3DS is out. Maybe I'll go get that. Or play some more Eschatos. Mmm, Eschatos.

--- edit ---

Okay, killed Subterranean Steve and upgrode my equipment.

--- edit 2 ---

Got up to like Area 14 on Eschatos time attack on my first try. Wonder if there's a harder mode for Time Attack -- what's there's definitely got more going on than normal at least but fewer bullets than Hard Original throws at you. I like how time attack is, like... sort of Outrun-ish in that it's the full game, but on a timer, and not just a separate caravan mode.

Also fucking hell that soundtrack.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 11:02:28 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not dream o/`

Der Jermeister

The Angry Videogame Fur

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1600 on: August 04, 2014, 10:45:04 PM »

On the final Tale of Final Fantasy IV: The After Years iOS. Had to use a guide to find out where to go when I had access to the entire overworld, but I'm at the last dungeon now.

Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1601 on: August 05, 2014, 04:39:13 AM »

Still playing a bit of F.E.A.R 2 and some Dota 2.
About half way through Chaos on Deponia. Goodbye Deponia has a fairly meaty discount on Steam until the 11th so it seems like the perfect time to pick it up and round off the trilogy.

NOW PLAYING:
Final Fantasy XIII: The time has come...
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout: Its...Odd...
One Finger Death Punch: F*ck Yeah! - The game
Annubis

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1602 on: August 05, 2014, 05:22:09 AM »

Played a lot of Trails in the Sky today. Right before I stopped the game pulled what I hate the most.
It removed 2 of my party member and didn't give me any leeway at all to unequip them or remove their quartz.
Thank god I didn't put Eagle Eye or Information on either of them =/
mecharobot

Thunder of the dogs! INDIGNATION

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1603 on: August 05, 2014, 07:12:41 AM »

I'm still behind my A-gaming mood, due to stalling my life for three weeks of vacations, but I'm getting back slowly. Just continuing Rorona+ and DW Gundam Reborn. I got through the first year of Rorona+, not much problems but my equipment is starting to be crap and I somehow feel that I can't rely on the Tera Bomb like I could in the vanilla version. I don't like making equipment, especially when it tends to be so overpriced even when it's me making the materials. Some friendships are also dragging behind even though I do pretty much every quest unless they ask for unreasonable things. Not sure if giving them A or S level stuff would help, but I can't really make those yet anyway.

As for Gundam, I gave in and got the Wing Zero Custom DLC. It is a glorious suit as expected and is a joy to play with all my Wing BGMs, but overall I still feel like it's better to switch suits around anyway. Playing Kira now with Freedom, but it feels like it didn't get good treatment and feels about as crap as playing with either versions of Justice. Think I'll switch to Strike and the SF, which seem to be better thought out once I unlock this one for all pilots.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1604 on: August 05, 2014, 08:24:16 AM »

Played a lot of Trails in the Sky today. Right before I stopped the game pulled what I hate the most.
It removed 2 of my party member and didn't give me any leeway at all to unequip them or remove their quartz.
Thank god I didn't put Eagle Eye or Information on either of them =/

I think they automatically give you their equips as they leave anyways. At least that was my experience with the PSP version.

Anyways, TO:LUCT. Still in Chapter 1 though in the latter half now. Still haven't been able to find a good reference to the location of the buried treasures in the chapter's optional battle.

Also fucked about in my Suikoden 3 file from way back and fixed some of my youthful derps. Went around bashing treasure bosses for their chests and booty, did some trading, bought a second set of Windspun Armor, and gave Futch + Bright some levels so that I can bring him into the final battle for 'reasons'.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 153 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: