Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 06:06:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334670 Posts in 13706 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  A Game Journal Reborn
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 152 Print
Author Topic: A Game Journal Reborn  (Read 62825 times)
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1650 on: August 10, 2014, 07:43:06 PM »

Finished up The Last of Us Remastered. Took me 15 hours. That ending I was not expecting. It isn't satisfying, but it fits the game so perfectly. One of my new favorites. I think I'm going to start a New Game + now and get all the collectibles and whatnot. I love the world and just exploring it.

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1651 on: August 10, 2014, 08:38:53 PM »

To it's credit though it doesn't, by any means, come close to approaching the level of /bad difficulty mod/ that this thing does: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQLezKCtDZo

That looks really stupid. I mean, Grandia 2 is ridiculously easy but turning every normal encounter into a 10 minute boss fight isn't the right approach either. Haven't they heard of the middle ground?

Its the mod community. There is no such thing as a middle ground, only more mods.

As for the LoH difficulty mod, at least you picked Ruan to fuck around with difficulty levels in as you'll have intermittent access to the game's heal bot. In Zeiss, you'll be bleeding resources until you finish the Hot Springs episode and even then you're not going to have access to it all the time (and god help you if you decide to be a dingus and attempt the Limestone Cave early, you can easily wipe on a normal game given the encounters there), Grancel will pretty much kick your teeth in with its Tournament Arc (especially with Oliver as your best mage), and the Final Dungeon is enough of a goddamn slog as it is (at least you'll have both the heal bot on hand and enemies sweat store bought healing items so resources shouldn't be a problem there).

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1652 on: August 10, 2014, 11:38:53 PM »

I played X-Com EW all day today.
I had played and finished the EU before but this is my first game with EW.

All I have to say is that you can make your soldiers stronger than in EU, but the missions from EW are way more unfair than EU (which are already completely unfair).

One of the new 'mechanic' are objective maps where you need to perform a task and enemies spawn each turn eventually completely swarming you.
That one is really shitty and I lost a whole team -1 to it (basically let someone run and get a head start to the retrieving zone while the others made time for him) =(
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1653 on: August 11, 2014, 01:31:19 AM »

The lightning spear in Dark Souls 2 rules. I summoned a buddy to take on the boss that's in the ship in no man's wharf. Three hits from my bolt almost killed him.

Against the pursuer I accidentally killed a buddy with the ballista. lulz. .
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1654 on: August 11, 2014, 01:56:10 AM »

To it's credit though it doesn't, by any means, come close to approaching the level of /bad difficulty mod/ that this thing does: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQLezKCtDZo

That looks really stupid. I mean, Grandia 2 is ridiculously easy but turning every normal encounter into a 10 minute boss fight isn't the right approach either. Haven't they heard of the middle ground?

Grandia 2's "Eyes of Valmar" boss was probably harder than the final boss fight.  I'm torn on whether I agree because of that.  Agreed that the "Hardmode" in that video is beyond ridiculous.  But goddamn I miss that game and its battle system.... And Child of Light was too short/"small" to be completely filling.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 02:21:07 AM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Annubis

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1655 on: August 11, 2014, 03:44:53 AM »

Another big thing about X-Com: EW I just saw: missions are on timers.

On EU, there's like 3 timers (UFO, abduction and terror).
In EW, there's UFO, abduction, terror, EXALT, council missions & special.

Problem is, there's no global cooldown.
I just had to do a Terror Attack, then Homebase getting attacked, and then retrieving EXALT undercover mission in 1 day.
Good thing my whole barrack was healthy at the start of this, because everyone went to the medbay after that (or the graveyard for some)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 03:52:10 AM by Annubis » Logged
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1656 on: August 11, 2014, 07:08:19 AM »

So I played Code of Princess yesterday....I...why did I buy this when it came out? It has been on my backlog since it initially came out, but I have been putting it off because it wasn't a high priority. Oddly enough I somehow completely missed that the main character was in a thong and....I don't know what to call that? A breast clasp? I wish I had noticed that as I probably would have not picked it up had I noticed it. Stupid picking up games on a whim...

Anyways game was not that interesting. Found the controls annoying, gameplay not that interesting, characters were pretty flat with single note characters being the most developed, and storyline was meh. Only good thing about the game? Main storyline was short. Probably spent less than five hours to complete that. So horrible investment in terms of gameplay/price since I have no interest in the grindy post game.

Now it is time to figure out what other game from my backlog I want to polish off while I wait on Xillia 2.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1657 on: August 11, 2014, 09:50:19 PM »

Got a Saturn, so I guess I'll invest some time in Albert Odyssey (which I already have). Haven't played an RPG in a while...
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 09:31:22 AM by Mickeymac92 » Logged

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1658 on: August 11, 2014, 11:30:46 PM »

Welp, more Bravely Default.  Got the Conjurer asterisk, leveled it up some, learned Obliterate and, well... long story short all four of my characters are at level 99, all jobs are at level 14, and Encounter Rate -100% is now permanent unless I decide to go hunting for Genome spells.  At the end of Chapter 7 now, and hopefully that means I'm near game's end.  BD has dominated my game time for a ~little too long. 

Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1659 on: August 12, 2014, 06:48:01 AM »

Playing Soul Hackers now. I like the world that the game has built, although I don't get the point of Paradigm X at the moment. Maybe I can don something important there later.
Klyde Chroma
Lvl. 7 Fruity Ninja and Dincrest groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1660 on: August 12, 2014, 08:35:44 PM »

Got a Saturn, so I guess I'll invest some time in Albert Odyssey (which I already have). Haven't played an RPG in a while...

Thats ironic, I was just thinking of Albert Odyssey and Dragon Force a few weeks ago when a strong wave of "Saturn/Working Designs" nostalgia swept over me. AO is not a title I expect to hear brought up too often. Underwhelming as it may have been, I remember loving the atmosphere and tone of the game when I was younger.

Another big thing about X-Com: EW I just saw: missions are on timers.

On EU, there's like 3 timers (UFO, abduction and terror).
In EW, there's UFO, abduction, terror, EXALT, council missions & special.

Problem is, there's no global cooldown.
I just had to do a Terror Attack, then Homebase getting attacked, and then retrieving EXALT undercover mission in 1 day.
Good thing my whole barrack was healthy at the start of this, because everyone went to the medbay after that (or the graveyard for some)

More irony! I just picked this up reeeeaaaal cheap but I'm holding off giving it a go due to Xillia 2's release next week. EU was a brief obsession of mine and I can easily see not looking at any other games for a moment once I get into EW.

In my neck of the woods...

I finally finished TERRANIGMA!!

With this, Shadow Hearts, Breath of Fire 4 and Drakengard 3 complete I have successfully managed to polish off all my intended summer RPGs.

Some final thoughts on Terranigma.

-This was, without a doubt, one of the most original SNES era offerings I have yet to experience.

-Having a hand in the economic growth of towns was a very cool side-questy implementation ahead of its time.

-Terra sported a soundtrack that rivals many of 16-bit greats. Quite a few memorable numbers here. The final boss music, freedom theme, the Quatro's (traveling nomads) theme will all remain stuck in my brains playlist for a long time.

-My only two complaints stem from the games challenge/difficulty. First off, 1 or 2 levels can take battle difficulty from damn near impossible to laughably easy in same respect that it did in first Ys title. The problem here for me, with Terra, is I naturally became over-leveled to the point where the last few dungeons and bosses proved the easiest stretch of the game. Secondly, I found some of the puzzles and brain teasers to be horribly unintuitive.

Finally in other news, I am astonished to report that I am completely hooked on an FPS title. Borderlands 2 is like digital drugs complete with withdrawal symptoms. I never thought I'd be saying that about a game that was not a JRPG nor a title that wasn't set Fairyland (I am suck for fairylands) but here I sit, completely enthralled with the game. I feel like Borderlands may be the only FPS title that can really grab me in this way, as it is more a result of the setting and charm of the title that drew me in. What ever the case may be, I can safely say I've found myself a token FPS game to keep in my library, as well as keep me fully occupied for the next week until Xillia 2.

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Annubis

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1661 on: August 12, 2014, 09:47:15 PM »

Trails in the Sky

WHY ARE WE SO BAD AT CATCHING BAD GUYS !
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1662 on: August 12, 2014, 10:02:12 PM »

Some final thoughts on Terranigma.

- This was, without a doubt, one of the most original SNES era offerings I have yet to experience.

I remember after some (emphasis on 'some' because the game throws quite a few at you) of the plot twists, I just kinda sat there with my mouth open while it was happening.

Plot-wise, it's hard to find something so unique even today.  Too often I feel we're in "the plot's been done before but they way it's told is good" as a positive spin.

Trails in the Sky

WHY ARE WE SO BAD AT CATCHING BAD GUYS !

I raise you Team Rocket from Pokemo--- oh wait, dammit Ash, stop using them attacks that 'blow them away'.

If you mean the Capua's, you can't catch them!  They're lovable!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 10:05:36 PM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1663 on: August 12, 2014, 10:39:33 PM »

I'm replaying Minish Cap, since I never did finish it the first time round. The dungeons are pretty good, but the kinstones fusion system is incredibly annoying. If you want to collect everything (including all the pieces of heart), you'll spend about half of the game backtracking trying to find the correct NPCs, who are spread out all over the map. And even if you do find an out of the way NPC, they won't necessarily fuse with you until you've progressed to a specific point in the game, which means even more backtracking.
Annubis

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1664 on: August 12, 2014, 10:39:40 PM »

If you mean the Capua's, you can't catch them!  They're lovable!

It's not just the Capua.
Apparently, everyone has an emergency airship right around the corner.
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 152 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: