Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2014, 08:26:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332910 Posts in 13642 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  A Game Journal Reborn
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 141 Print
Author Topic: A Game Journal Reborn  (Read 57290 times)
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1680 on: August 15, 2014, 07:15:18 PM »

Finally over the headcold I've had since like last Sunday. Since I can now look at moving pictures without my eyes violently revolting against me, I'mma binge on Eschatos.

I take it that you're past the Highschool Cultural Festival episode then? Congrats, you've almost made it to the start of the game's plot.

Now, I was about to start that but then I got a flood of more job postings I don't care about. I think I'm just going to go read an LP or something.

Also wrt Suikotactics, it's actually pretty cheap on Amazon, unlike Suiko 5 which is... not cheap but not really SUPER expensive but it's more than what I want to pay for it considering how hit-or-miss the Suik series has been for me.

--- edit ---

Eschatos - Got some new high score and hit level 7 on the unlockables. Also managed to get up to Area 18 in time attack.

Sine Mora - Tried the XBox 360 demo. Looks like I might wanna to rebuy this for the 360. I didn't realize how fast it was SUPPOSED to be.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 02:52:22 AM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1681 on: August 15, 2014, 09:05:46 PM »

Silent Hill 2 is a great doors-with-broken-locks simulator.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1682 on: August 15, 2014, 09:23:22 PM »

Finally over the headcold I've had since like last Sunday. Since I can now look at moving pictures without my eyes violently revolting against me, I'mma binge on Eschatos.

I take it that you're past the Highschool Cultural Festival episode then? Congrats, you've almost made it to the start of the game's plot.

Now, I was about to start that but then I got a flood of more job postings I don't care about. I think I'm just going to go read an LP or something.

Also wrt Suikotactics, it's actually pretty cheap on Amazon, unlike Suiko 5 which is... not cheap but not really SUPER expensive but it's more than what I want to pay for it considering how hit-or-miss the Suik series has been for me.

Oh well, both the school and the cultural festival are also ladened with sidequests so if you hadn't burnt out now, you probably would've burnt out then.

Also, I got bored Monday and fired up a new game of ALBW. Finished it this morning. Still a rock solid game.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1683 on: August 15, 2014, 09:45:12 PM »

Amidst moving, I still managed to defeat the Terror of Death once again.

It has always saddened me that Morganna is an absentee-villain in the .Hack games. It would really tie the games into the .Hack canon a lot better if Morganna had a line or two and let her presence be known more than she does.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1684 on: August 16, 2014, 02:40:40 PM »

LoH:TitS

I just hit something called final chapter and yet I feel like I just finished the prologue.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1685 on: August 16, 2014, 05:32:57 PM »

P.T.:

I've already said nothing but good things about P.T. as an horror game in its thread, lately though I've been seeing more people playing through the game on videos and livestreams, and I have two things to say:

・Is remarkable how uneasy the teaser makes most adults feel.

・Lots of people seems no longer to be excited about horror games on VR after this. Which is understandable.

Overall, while P.T. is the kind of experience the genre has deserved for a very long time, and I feel that I've been seeing the game for long enough to get PTSD out of it. And that right there is the greatest compliment one can give to an horror game.

The Last of Us:

Been playing the multiplayer again for a while now, and that has been alright. Though, I can't decide if I should get Grounded mode or not... has anyone played through that mode yet here? I know what it does, but it is worth it to buy it as someone who doesn't has the intention to get the PS4 version?
Der Jermeister

The Angry Videogame Fur

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1686 on: August 16, 2014, 05:46:07 PM »

Started The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky FC, and it's pretty decent thus far, completed the first mission and have to go to the tower.

Still working on Suikoden Tactics, and took me a few tries to beat the battle where Simeon is stranded and has to be kept alive. Don't really like missions such as that but I'm still enjoying the game.

Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1687 on: August 16, 2014, 06:38:05 PM »

I just hit something called final chapter and yet I feel like I just finished the prologue.

Probably because only one of the previous four chapters had anything to do with the game's plot beyond "Something strange is going on here.", and FC's plot is more about setting up SC's plot than anything else. Basically, FC is like playing only the Light World part of a Link to the Past (except that you don't even rescue the Princess till the final chapter or even hear about the Master Sword or Agahnim/Ganondorf/Ganon/whatever until the last five minutes of the game).

Amidst moving, I still managed to defeat the Terror of Death once again.

It has always saddened me that Morganna is an absentee-villain in the .Hack games. It would really tie the games into the .Hack canon a lot better if Morganna had a line or two and let her presence be known more than she does.

I'm still amazed that the .//Hack series is as coherent as it is (as in, at all), given how much of a clusterfuck it turned into. Still, one quarter of one overpriced game and a few animes/mangas was enough for me.

That said, I finished Chapter 25 on my Classic Lunatic run in FE:Awakening yesterday, so today I finally completed my Chrom + Subs only Lunatic Classic run (after about a year plus a few months). Took a few tries to beat Grima, with my winning run consisting of Chrom paired with Tiki, Est paired with Elincia, Florina paired with Seliph, and Raquesis paired with Finn and the rest were benched since there were too many enemies around and too many weapons needed forging to keep up (and too much worrying over characters who'd be dead or not gaining anything to matter). Chrom was there to actually fight Grima since no one could do shit to him. I paired Tiki with him in hopes that her Wyrm's Bane skill would accomplish something (plus FE tradition as Tiki and Marth are the best characters to fight Mediuth (or however his name winds up getting translated this time around)), but she couldn't hit the broad side of a barn and provided only stat boosts to the proceedings. Est's job was to Galeforce enemies and be a secondary target to draw some fire for Chrom (since Aether's activation rate is far too low for him to keep himself alive with and he needs to be fighting Grima before anything else as the whole battle is a massive damage race), she also had Rally Spectrum which made the difference during my winning run (Chrom was stuck taking Raquesis with him since Tiki didn't have enough a Spd pair up bonus to enable Chrom to double Grima but Chrom also needs a solid Def boost so that he could last longer; Rally Spectrum solved both problems easily). Elincia was there for the Dual Support+ skill and a high Mag pair up buff since that gives valuable bonuses that I wasn't getting otherwise and Est appreciated the extra Mag. Florina/Seliph's job was to rush around the map and pick off any asshat with a Physic staff since they could potentially heal Grima with them, they could do this because Florina had the Deliverer skill giving her 11 move and both of them had Galeforce. Raquesis was there in case Chrom needed an emergency heal or Rally Love him otherwise (extra Move to get to melee range of Grima on turn 2 and the others appreciated the boost). And Finn ironically enough ended up as Raquesis' Armored Pack (boosts to Def and Move). I ended up losing Florina and Raquesis on turn 2 enemy phase due to getting swarmed and that their Def was kinda bad (and I had no means to restoring their health during or after the EP), which led to the even more ironic Finn/Seliph pairing for the final turn. My previous runs kept ending in failure since Chrom would take too much damage, or fail to do enough damage, or Grima would get healed (or the one time I forgot to stack Stat Boosters on him due to his recent reclassing to Dread Fighter uping his caps in multiple stats, but more importantly due to his being stuck at E ranked weapons aside from Swords, by the time I topped his stats off, he died).

Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1688 on: August 16, 2014, 07:21:25 PM »

received .hack//infection in the mail on Wednesday and beat it Friday. Short game i'd like to speed run. It's funny, because no matter what, I never get sick of .hack//infection (Only i//infection). There's a story behind why that is, but that'll be for another time.

Playing some Magna Carta 2. Fun Game! Might juggle this and some Ar Tonelico 1.

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1689 on: August 16, 2014, 07:52:21 PM »

Got the final volume of Carnelia in TitS, with the aid of an FAQ. The first time round on PSP I was disappointed that I didn't manage to collect them all, but knowing what I know now there's no way that anyone would find them in a normal first playthrough. You have to play the game in a way that defies logic by visiting NPCs in remote locations, when the plot tells you that you really ought be going elsewhere, and you have to go there during an exact period of time else you're out of luck.

The only way anyone would get them all without using an FAQ was if they talked to every single NPC in the region, after every single point in the main story.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 08:01:48 PM by DPB » Logged
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1690 on: August 16, 2014, 10:36:18 PM »

Got the final volume of Carnelia in TitS, with the aid of an FAQ. The first time round on PSP I was disappointed that I didn't manage to collect them all, but knowing what I know now there's no way that anyone would find them in a normal first playthrough. You have to play the game in a way that defies logic by visiting NPCs in remote locations, when the plot tells you that you really ought be going elsewhere, and you have to go there during an exact period of time else you're out of luck.

The only way anyone would get them all without using an FAQ was if they talked to every single NPC in the region, after every single point in the main story.

Yeah they're really cruel about those.  I did a perfect run except without a guide except for two of them (I actually enjoyed talking to NPCs and got off better for it):
(1) The one you get RIGHT AFTER meeting Oliver.... It's lost like the next scene after or some baloney
(2) When you're sneaking around Grancel late at night

Cruel, cruel, cuueeeeell

P.T.:

For the fairly limited scope (a hallway/toilet stuck on a "Groundhog Day of Horror"), it's amazing how much they fit in and I love how nuanced and how they were able to slowly escalate the horror.  From really feeling nothing at all, besides an "ooo, aaaah" of how pretty the graphics are, to absolute terror to turn around.  Good on them --- PT was a great achievement, IMO.

It ain't called "Trails in the Sky: FIRST CHAPTER" for nothing. :S

The enemy/ boss designs (Atman included) in Shadow Hearts were certainly amongst the most creepy I've ever encountered in an RPG. It was part of what I really loved about the art direction. Some were downright "Linda Blair" quality in my mind. (NOTE: by linda blair quality I simply mean "nightmare inducing" for me)

What I really enjoyed about the towns and music was how they managed to create a real sense of safety amidst the horror at points. The soundtrack, in particular, helped give me the feeling that I was finally safe and able to breath easy without the threat of something ghastly or demonic nipping at my heels. Fine points to "Save Game" and turn in for the night :)

Lastly, thank you for upping my enthusiasm about SH: C. I purposely didn't look into it because I don't want to spoil much on myself but I was hoping the sequel improved something things both graphically and mechanically.

Yeah SH:C is as good as it gets to fixing up the little "suck" found in the first game.  Convenant is *extremely* polished.
Only a few things:
= I actually think this title is a lot more cheesier.  It's still knows how to hit a serious tone, but I guess since this one is much better voiced and actually uses mo-cap you get more 'fleshed-out' cutscenes... for better, and worse.  The VA/script isn't really too good either (but it's definitely better than the hack-grade script of the first game)
= The "new Graveyard" sucks.  Its got 6 more doors than it really needs to have.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1691 on: August 16, 2014, 11:04:58 PM »

Is it me or does Dark Souls 1 look better than Dark Souls 2? Some of the environments in 2 are super generic and empty of detail.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1692 on: August 17, 2014, 12:57:55 AM »

I gave up on the Carnelia books after I... got whatever the first one I got was, since there doesn't seem to be any reward for it beyond the Steam Cheevo?.

Finished? the bracer quests in Ruan. Used a FAQ for the candelabrum one because that was stupid. Vista Forest is clanging. I don't really know why I'm still playing this. It's got the kind of mindless, time-consuming property that Solitaire has, so it's useful for convincing myself that I'm doing something when I'm bored but too tired to actually do anything I guess? I find the game to be incredibly addictive even if I don't think it's engaging.

Espgaluda 2 - Got through Stage 3 without dying (on the easiest difficulty hrr) and then lost all my shipmans to the boss. I keep forgetting I can bomb. Also the two... huge enemies that aren't mid bosses but take awhile to kill near the end of the stage are a pain.

Five Days at Freddies Demo - This is exceptionally well done and because of that there is no way in /hell/ I'm going anywhere near the full version. Spoilers: I am a wimp.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1693 on: August 17, 2014, 01:10:23 AM »

I gave up on the Carnelia books after I... got whatever the first one I got was, since there doesn't seem to be any reward for it beyond the Steam Cheevo?.

Finished? the bracer quests in Ruan. Used a FAQ for the candelabrum one because that was stupid. Vista Forest is clanging. I don't really know why I'm still playing this. It's got the kind of mindless, time-consuming property that Solitaire has, so it's useful for convincing myself that I'm doing something when I'm bored but too tired to actually do anything I guess? I find the game to be incredibly addictive even if I don't think it's engaging.

(You get the best weapons for Estelle and Joshua by collecting them all... Sad thing is: You can only pick either one or the other's weapon)  :(

Shadow Hearts Covenant:

= I missed the first cutscene due to doorbell, and I missed another one due to parent calling.  I have no idea what we're on the lam from.

= Joachim is awesome.  He's a big ham, but he owns it (his "other form is awesom-est!!!).  His connection to a certain SH1 character was both a surprise and a delight.  I especially am keen on his very-frugal and practical descision to make use of "weapons" he finds than to bother purchasing them.

= I love the Eastern Europe area town theme
http://youtu.be/gcm3ak-SLqM
Very pleasant

= Noooooooooooo.... Dungeons? What happened?  Wtf is this corridor bullshit???  I DON'T LIKE MEMORIZING MAZES. xS

= Fusion designs are a real hit or miss.  Like some really got more love than others. 

= I'm glad that "individual powers" are back.  It's not so much a character uses a general "magic", but their own form of it.  Joachim learns wrestling moves, Blanca fights dogs, Gepetto gets new doll dresses.  I loved that with the first game where it wasn't magic then either, but Kinetic energy, Chi[?], "Rituals", Secret Weapons, etc.  But thsi game makes it more about questing and sidequesting to power up.  I kinda like the extra mileage that gives the game

= Gepetto using a cute doll to play dress up is real creepy.... But she's soooo cute in those little fucking outfits!  <3
And...omg...STUD CARDS.  The heck?!
http://shadowhearts.wikia.com/wiki/Stud_Cards
(nsfw???)

= Blanca is awesome.  Mainly because I approve of any sort of canine.  I do like his "talking segments".  It also took me a good hour to realize he had normal dog eyes and not giant cartoon-dog eyes (the dark fur confused me).

= One of those dumb things: I'm glad they kept the weird ass victory theme (not the first bit, the later part)
http://youtu.be/IVpz4ycWD14
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 02:17:29 AM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1694 on: August 17, 2014, 07:44:39 AM »

(You get the best weapons for Estelle and Joshua by collecting them all... Sad thing is: You can only pick either one or the other's weapon)  :(

You might as well just get the one for Estelle on the first playthrough anyways as she's the only character to carry anything of significance over to SC (the rest will come with updated stuff to accommodate their join time, including Joshua). You can get Joshua's on a NG+ file if you're a completionist (assuming that there is a NG+ feature like there is in the PSP port) but its not worth it, even for the boosted damage on his second S-Break.

Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 141 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: