Author Topic: A Game Journal Reborn

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
Re: A Game Journal Reborn
« Reply #3330 on: April 29, 2015, 02:24:59 PM »
Oh my gooooood.....

Xenoblade: High Entia CHILDREN are 40 years old... even with an expanded lifespan, I can't think of taking care of an infant for over 10 years let alone what follows with childhood...

It could be a Noppon, where they live for a long time and are children for /all of it/.

Terrifying, murderous children.

-- edit --

Played some classic GTA 3. Did some missions for the italian dude. I miss how cartoony and weirdly innocent the GTA3-based ones were, compared to V :(

UFO - So yeah, at one point you hear gunshots and a siren going off, and at another part a cat starts /freaking the hell out/ out of nowhere.

Humans are the only normal ones dammit.  Giants, fluffy ball people, wing headed, robots....dear lord, no wonder "Homs" almost never venture above the Bionis' crotch.

ALso, this apparently exists (a hack I assume? But who knew it was a proper 'map').

Not surprised, they had to implement the weather/lighting effects for the opening somehow (I'm far more surprised that it was really that plaza with the monolith that formed the center of the 'T' junction of Colony 9 this whole time).
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3331 on: April 29, 2015, 11:33:03 PM »
GTA3 - Did some vigilante-ing and got the uh, first police bribe unlocked. Vigilante missions are really fun once you get used to cutting cars off. Also failed repeatedly at a rampage involving grenades. Because grenades.

Definitely feel that Vice City and San Andreas are better games, but GTA3's got its own unique things/atmosphere.

Beyond that I forgot what the heck else I was playing. Feel like I should get back to Chibi-robo maybe, although it's suddenly verdant as hell out which is making me remember JRPGs exist.

And at that I sort of want to get the PC version of Ys VI. It's prettier than the PS2 version :<
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #3332 on: April 30, 2015, 07:06:11 AM »
Been working on finally wrapping up the Support Conversations in FE Awakening. Finished grinding affection last night between Female Robin and all the second gen characters. Now I just need to get all of second gen Robin daddy conversations and then I will be done with the female exclusive ones and can move onto my male playthrough where I will unlock everything that is left...this is going to be fun. X_X

mecharobot

• Trombe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3333 on: April 30, 2015, 07:18:20 AM »
I went ahead and finished story mode with Haruka in Im@s SP. For some reason I enjoyed Iori vs Takane more than this, the hime-thing seemed to provide a less random seeming chemistry with the rival, though the reactions of Haruka are über-moe. I started Chihaya on Missing Moon just for the heck of it. It seems every interaction with her is super serious and she is aaaaawkward. Also I'm not sure if these story scenarios connect in some weird way, at least my agency suddenly got upgraded halfway through last run and I still have it now, plus Miki seems to be part of my group storywise initially.

Still having a bit of a hangover from beating VC 3, so RPGs are on a hold for some time.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #3334 on: April 30, 2015, 10:20:09 AM »
More thoughts on Omega Quintet:

-Thank God there's a way to turn off the "Broadcast commentary" introduced in Chapter 3, that was a neat idea but horrendously executed. Nothing quite more annoying than listening to Ayumi half-finishing the same handful of lines while trying to keep up with the action and drowning out everything else.

- While it's really nice to not have everything thrown at you at once, I feel like the game could be doing a lot better in introducing new battle features. Most of them are just introduced at arbitrary times that are completely irrelevant to story progression. For instance, if Harmonics were introduced as soon as you had three party members or even after your battles started being broadcast, that would have made a lot more sense than introducing it one or two dungeons later during a story lull.

- I see Aria's way of talking getting exhausting fairly quickly. I get how it's related to her backstory, but it comes across as a gothic loli in the middle of a never-ending asthma attack. Hopefully they'll at least play it down a bit as the game progresses.

- There needs to be a way to check Chain Attack requirements in battle, there's no way to memorize that insane list. Hell, even the several I have unlocked are easy to forget.

- I take back what I said about areas. As new pieces of each area unlock, they start to get quite huge. This is much better than the typical Compile Hearts habit of just having a bunch of cloned two-room dungeons, but I do wish you didn't have to re-explore each area every chapter.

- Love the training area! Basically it's a bunch of interconnected rooms and in most cases you need to collect material items from enemies in one room to unlock the way to the next. The rooms branch off, and generally the rooms with tougher enemies lead to extremely useful items. This turns the training facility into more of an extended side quest than merely a place to grind.

- I know most of these comments are more on the negative side, but I truly am really enjoying the game so far. It's just most of the positives at this point are just reinforced points I already made in the Omega Quintet thread. Battles continue to be more and more flashy and strategic, the dialogue continues to be wonderfully silly, and much to my surprise the story pacing continues to be right on point.

=============================

EDIT: Aaannnd... managed to fuck up this playthrough. Didn't realize Chapter 4 was so short and ended up letting a quest expire. Hopefully it doesn't mean I missed a key item that's going to put me way behind for even a second playthrough. God knows it's possible to do in the Neptunia Re:Birth games.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 10:10:40 PM by Klutz64 »

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #3335 on: May 01, 2015, 04:21:46 PM »
After 210 days, I've finally achieved 100% completion (barring DLC) on Super Smash Bros. Four 3DS.

Now to start laying into the Wii U version.

Blace

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3336 on: May 02, 2015, 01:18:25 PM »
Started and finished Child of Light this week. Really enjoyed that game. I was in the mood for a simple, yet elegant game after playing through The Evil Within and Bloodborne back to back. Gorgeous art, great soundtrack, solid battle system. If you haven't played it, definitely worth it. Now starting Star Ocean 4 on PS3. Played it about half way through on X360 when it first came out and just stopped. I was enjoying the battle system too. Looking forward to this (and the improvements).

mecharobot

• Trombe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3337 on: May 03, 2015, 01:25:42 PM »
Some new things to put a dent into:

Atelier Ayesha - Going to give this a go after all. The scenario already feels a lot more personal than E&L, more towns, more interesting map, generally everything is more interesting. How did the sequel, become some streamlined and dull is beyond me.

Kingdom Hearts BBS - Ehhhh... I don't know, there is something bugging me about this game. I've never actually digged KH lore and I'm already being bombarded by it in full power and also with crappy tutorials that I really can't even put to practice yet. Not sure if I'm in the mood now, but might stick around for a bit in case the game actually starts at some point.

I'm probably also going to try Legend of Heroes, but I really don't know much about this series. If someone could give a quick rundown it would be appreciated. The combat seems quite meh, but I kind of need something with a Falcom feel. I just worry it'll end up like Golden Sun, which I enjoyed quite a bit, but then just kind of forgot to ever play the sequel.

edit: getting my butt kicked in KH. I've always played KH in Proud mode, but sheesh these enemies are relentless. Or maybe Aqua is just weak. It's kind of fun, but I'm not really looking forward to switching characters, since I kind of like to have a steadily progressing curve in my RPGs. I don't like getting weaker because the game says so.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 03:16:32 PM by mecharobot »

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #3338 on: May 03, 2015, 03:15:14 PM »
I'm probably also going to try Legend of Heroes, but I really don't know much about this series. If someone could give a quick rundown it would be appreciated. The combat seems quite meh, but I kind of need something with a Falcom feel. I just worry it'll end up like Golden Sun, which I enjoyed quite a bit, but then just kind of forgot to ever play the sequel.

If you're looking at Trails in the Sky, its mostly plays like FFX meets CT (a Count Time Battle system with an emphasis on AoEs and crowd control, also encounters appear on the field map just like CT) with very few bells and whistles, and its plot is more of a low fantasy sort of thing as you're basically a pair of rookie JRPG cops forming a hip young squad with something to prove.

If you're talking about any of the previous five Legend of Heroes games, the first two Turbografx releases form their own arc as well as the PSP trio that isn't TitS. The first two of course were originally made for the PC-88/98 back in the late 80s/early 90s while the Gagharv Trilogy came out during the late 90s. Unfortunately, I'm less familiar with how they play gameplay-wise.

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3339 on: May 03, 2015, 03:39:10 PM »

I played like thirty hours of the first game and nothing really happened in it so you could maybe just skip to the second one whenever that gets released.

GTA3 - Finished up one of the phone mission lines on Portland and got about three or four hidden packages. Might take a break from this, though -- while a lot of it still holds up really favorably in light of the later games and it has a really cool atmosphere, the way gangs work is kind of getting on my neeerves.-- they get super aggressive as you complete story missions.

7KnSM - Started chapter 4. OH MY GOD HYUU IS ADORABLE. More games need dapper skeleton crows that bite your face as a form of greeting.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 07:30:23 PM by MeshGearFox »
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Andrew

• Editor Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3340 on: May 04, 2015, 06:05:31 AM »
I know I don't post here often, but I have to share:

I beat Final Fantasy VII for the first time ever today.

I've had the game for a few years, but hadn't gotten around to playing it until a fortnight or so ago. I wasn't sure what to expect going in, especially since it's nearly 20 years old (!) now. But it was awesome. It got a little slow around the middle of Disc 1, but overall it had me pretty engaged from beginning to end. Good cast of characters, interesting story, and nice to get the real story behind Crisis Core (which I played and loved years ago).

Final battle was awesome. Except for Supernova... seriously, that thing is exhausting to watch again and again and again. :P

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #3341 on: May 04, 2015, 06:14:24 AM »
Kingdom Hearts BBS - Ehhhh... I don't know, there is something bugging me about this game. I've never actually digged KH lore and I'm already being bombarded by it in full power and also with crappy tutorials that I really can't even put to practice yet. Not sure if I'm in the mood now, but might stick around for a bit in case the game actually starts at some point.

<snip>

edit: getting my butt kicked in KH. I've always played KH in Proud mode, but sheesh these enemies are relentless. Or maybe Aqua is just weak. It's kind of fun, but I'm not really looking forward to switching characters, since I kind of like to have a steadily progressing curve in my RPGs. I don't like getting weaker because the game says so.

BBS is easily the best KH, so keep at it! Aqua's specialty is magic, so make sure you are using magic commands with her (at least until you have a few levels). Also as an fyi, the recommended order for playing the characters is Terra->Ven-> Aqua.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #3342 on: May 04, 2015, 08:58:23 AM »
Also, yes. In Proud Mode Aqua is wet paper until you get her to about level 6 or 7. Just keep running back to a save point as soon as you're in trouble, and eventually the levels will come.

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #3343 on: May 04, 2015, 12:22:05 PM »
I know I don't post here often, but I have to share:

I beat Final Fantasy VII for the first time ever today.

I've had the game for a few years, but hadn't gotten around to playing it until a fortnight or so ago. I wasn't sure what to expect going in, especially since it's nearly 20 years old (!) now. But it was awesome. It got a little slow around the middle of Disc 1, but overall it had me pretty engaged from beginning to end. Good cast of characters, interesting story, and nice to get the real story behind Crisis Core (which I played and loved years ago).

Final battle was awesome. Except for Supernova... seriously, that thing is exhausting to watch again and again and again. :P

Good!  Now go read my old Journal and react sum'more!!

But seriously, glad you enjoyed it, I think it's held up quite well personally (for just about everything except outside-battle graphics...whut were they thinking with them hands???), and playing it only made me reaffirm some of the negative opinions I had about the more "modern" (yet unimpressive on other levels) FF13-Saga.

And I'm extremely disappointed that Supernova wouldn't OHKO me, but the stomp or vortex of Ruby Weapon sure would. >:/
That said, FF games are awesome with respect to directing those big-massive-late-game-fuck-you spells.
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #3344 on: May 04, 2015, 12:41:20 PM »