Author Topic: A Game Journal Reborn  (Read 1912670 times)

Frostillicus

• View Profile
Re: A Game Journal Reborn
« Reply #3495 on: June 15, 2015, 11:09:49 AM »
Man, I don't know, it's like realism's killin' nice art direction in games :< I said this before, but GTAV's preference for having realistic graphics over appealing, stylized ones like in VC really wore on me; and maybe that's also why the slight off-ness to the character designs in Lost Odyssey that Klyde mentioned a few times made them appeal to me more, just cause it gave them this uniqueness?

They would sell you this realism as being more "immersive". I guess they want to make it seem like you really are stealing cars and killing hookers. IMO, games and TV/movies are supposed to "take you away". That makes them much more immersive. At least, to me it does.
Realism is for simulators.

EDIT: Finished Infamous being a "Hero". Ended up playing it in short bursts towards the end of the game. Overall, it's very a repetitive game, so interest waned quick each time. It was still fun to pick up, though.
The later boss fights are pretty easy, IMO. To me, the first boss (the weird obsessed horny witch lady) was the most difficult of them. Actually, the battles with large amounts of weaker enemies were the most difficult of the game. Probably because I stayed on the good guy side of things, and the evil side is the one that has more area-focused powers.
This game suffers from low production quality; barely adequate VA; and repetitive missions/game play. Still, as I've said, the tight controls and fun powers keeps it from getting too stale too fast. Overall, not a bad time, really. I'll pick up the second game in the series soon.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 11:16:25 AM by natros »
"Movies are better than people. You don't have to smell who you're watching." ~ Baby Cakes

mecharobot

• Trombe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3496 on: June 15, 2015, 07:42:01 PM »
I spend the last two days marathoning Broken Sword 5. Overall, it is indeed the best since Smoking Mirror, but I had a few issues:

1) The game is kind of an easy mode for 98% of puzzles, which I'm not sure is a good or bad thing. I mean there aren't really many stupid things to get stuck on (for a reason I'll mention below), except that tedious glyph deciphering, which is out of sequence and mostly just... tediously cryptic. It's like given a bunch of Kanji or something and then told to make out the meanings of other Kanji based on those, while the game is basically telling you to do an entirely different puzzle at the same time, which only comes solvable when plot unlocks it for no real reason (it's like "you can't press this button until this other person says so"). Seriously that is the only bad puzzle though, so I probably shouldn't be too harsh.

2) It's also quite linear. Usually there is like two rooms max to explore, which really limits the possibilities and pushes the player into the right direction. There really isn't much scavenging for stuff around some big map (say, Monkey Island), just a few sequences with a map, though after choosing the right one the game will just lock the player there.

3) Generally I do like the plot subject here, but it has a lot to do with church, conspiracy, crusade etc. AGAIN. It's interesting but I do miss something like Smoking Mirror with Caribbean, South America and generally the different branch of history and locations there. Especially since the artwork is FANTASTIC, something that was missing from both Sleeping Dragon and Angel of Death. It's a good return for the series, but not exactly "fresh".

4) As for the art, not really major complaints. The 3D models generally blend into the background just fine, just that they sometimes glitch a bit and at least once froze the game.

Overall though, this title was a treat for any series fan, but just a "treat". I just hope Revolution will think outside the "Da Vinci Code" in their next game if they ever make one.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #3497 on: June 15, 2015, 11:08:14 PM »
After such an exciting day today, I think I'm going to wind down by starting a new game of one of my favorite games to relax with: Super Paper Mario.

I realize this isn't exactly Game Journal news, but what the hell.

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3498 on: June 16, 2015, 12:59:05 AM »
XIIZeal - Think destroying all of the parts of... these two enemies on stage two is what opens up an alternate route with higher scoring potential? That's a neat detail.

Devil Children - Forgot that, unlike DemiKids, this isn't /that/ much easier than a mainline SMT game. Also forgot that the fusion animation involved, uh, pokemon being dissolved in a vat of acid in complete silence.
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3499 on: June 16, 2015, 01:00:17 AM »
Powered through a decent portion of Earthbound Beginnings, and now I'm leveling up Lloyd so we can get through the Dunban Factory without dying all the time. Having a second set of Hamburgers will help, I'm sure...

EDIT: Two more levels...just two more levels, and I think his defense and health will finally be up to snuff...god this is taking forever. Might go buy a gold ring for the guy...
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 09:56:43 AM by Mickeymac92 »

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3500 on: June 16, 2015, 09:38:06 AM »
Desperately trying to finish Tactics Ogre: LUCT.  I just started Chapter IV and am rolling at along at c. level 20 for all characters.  I decided that crafting is actually a decent alternative to power leveling when I have a solid nucleus of characters all around the same level.  The big drawback though is that I can't get the word "ingot" out of my head.

ingot

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3501 on: June 16, 2015, 09:18:59 PM »
I think it took me 7 hours of pure grinding to get Lloyd all the way to Level 20 (and Ness from 19 to 23) before I could finally get to that stupid rocket. And thank freakin' god I finally remembered how to use bread in this game...it took me almost the same amount of time to get to Merryville as it did just to level up Lloyd. That is rediculous. If they do that again with Paula or whoever the girl is, I'm done.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Wild Armor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3502 on: June 16, 2015, 09:31:09 PM »
More Splatoooooooooooon. I'll probably get bored of this when i reach Level 20 (which is soon).

Not sure what to play next...might jump right into Growlanser II. ;)

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3503 on: June 17, 2015, 01:00:54 PM »
I think it took me 7 hours of pure grinding to get Lloyd all the way to Level 20 (and Ness from 19 to 23) before I could finally get to that stupid rocket. And thank freakin' god I finally remembered how to use bread in this game...it took me almost the same amount of time to get to Merryville as it did just to level up Lloyd. That is rediculous. If they do that again with Paula or whoever the girl is, I'm done.

Ana's here name, and she is level 1, I can't even get her back to town. Done. I am done. Moving on...

I Draw Stuff Sometimes

MeshGearFox

• View Profile
« Reply #3504 on: June 17, 2015, 07:48:41 PM »
XIIZeal - Played score attack on level 1 for like an hours. At #4 on the leaderboards. I feel like there should be a way to uh... there's six black planes in the level that shoot out a lot of bullets. I feel like there should be a way to bomb and get the bullets from all four. Also I've not figured out if there's any way to milk the boss efficiently. I seem to get the most points if I use the side attack to just take out all of its parts as quickly as possible.

Devil Children Black - About to uh... go to Maou Hel's castle I guess?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 07:51:00 PM by MeshGearFox »
o/` I do not dream o/`

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3505 on: June 18, 2015, 10:59:44 AM »
I started up Mercenary Kings. Thinking of playing online co-op around 7PM EST, maybe a little or earlier, depending on things. Anyone interested? Again, I'm just starting out.

I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Yoda

• Fear is the Mind Killer
  • Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light
    • View Profile
« Reply #3506 on: June 19, 2015, 06:38:51 PM »
I'm playing Fallout 3 NV on PS3.... what a mistake. I finally made it to the Strip and the frame rate drops to like .5 a frame per second.

I tried reloading a save but that helped for only a minute.

Rgeneb1

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3507 on: June 20, 2015, 11:35:53 AM »
I'm playing Fallout 3 NV on PS3.... what a mistake. I finally made it to the Strip and the frame rate drops to like .5 a frame per second.

I tried reloading a save but that helped for only a minute.

This worked for me, its only temp though, starts to slow down again pretty quickly. Honestly it makes it possible to complete the game if you've invested time in it, doesn't really make it completely playable.

Try the Cache Clear Code:
Hold L2, R2 and Square button and after the anti-save file corruption message has disappeared and the trophies have loaded and keep holding them until the main menu appears. You'll know if it has worked as the words "Fallout: New Vegas" and "[Press Start]" will disappear. All the CCC does is clear any and all temp and corrupted files that FO: NV generates.

Since its my first appearance on the thread I should say I'm currently playing Child of Light on PS3. It's very pretty but the rhyming is starting to get annoying! Chapter 8 (of 10 I think) so hopefully finish up this week. Also playing FF record keeper on iPad and considering it is literally just grinding, almost pointlessly, I find myself slightly addicted :)

MeshGearFox

• View Profile
« Reply #3508 on: June 20, 2015, 05:29:03 PM »
Devil Children - Forgot that you had to fuse demons with Kuul to level him up. But then he still dies in like two hits during the Maou Hel fight because he's week to ice attacks and Maou Hel's a really point jackfrost. Oh welpers. Onto /Marbleland/ next. (I feel like noting that the relative simplicity/tininess of the dungeons and high encounter rate SHOULD annoy me, but it really hasn't).

XIIZeal - Got stage 4 unlocked for score attack. Stage 4 is weird. If you don't kill all of the first boss' parts, the level ends. If you do, you either... get a return of the first boss or a different boss entirely. Not really sure what the triggers are there. Biggest annoyance so far is that the music is re-used between stages. Beyond that, the game just kind of clicks for me idk why.

NKNSM - Found the bell rabbit's soul. And then I got too tired to do anything since gosh golly where does the time fly. I was planning on some Shining Force binging too.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 11:31:31 AM by MeshGearFox »
o/` I do not dream o/`

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #3509 on: June 21, 2015, 01:04:00 AM »
Started up Watchdogs. Holy crap is this game fun. I haven't been big on Ubisoft's  tendency to rinse and repeat their big titles lately, but this game is good, IMO. Truthfully, the only thing that really sets it apart from other GTA clones is the hacking aspect. It could have gone so wrong, but thankfully, they did very well, IMO. I enjoy the hell out of it, actually.
The only thing I don't like about the game so far is how most cars handle like they are running on bald tires.  Chases (on either side) can be frustrating because of this. Motorcycles actually seem to rule this game. They handle very well. I'll abandon almost any car I happen to be driving right then and there if I run across a 2 wheeler.
"Movies are better than people. You don't have to smell who you're watching." ~ Baby Cakes