Author Topic: A Game Journal Reborn

Klyde Chroma

• LVL. 99 - Midnight Crusader
    • View Profile
Re: A Game Journal Reborn
« Reply #3555 on: July 03, 2015, 03:48:47 PM »
75 and a half hours later, tactics ogre is finally in the can.  Great game, but by no means as good as Final Fantasy Tactics (which is like, top 3-5 good).  The end of both games are bit ridiculous tbh, but at least FFT gives you a bunch of clues about what is going to happen. TO (save for being a japanese game) give you no traces at all about that chaos gate stuff until right at the end.  They MIGHT have dropped small clue in the warren report at some point but I don't really remember. 

I think I'm going to borrow my friend's DS and play 999 (legally this time!) and then immediately transition into Virtues Last Reward right after.

I might even do a game journal about it since they're not really that long.

Congrats on Tactics Ogre, man. By my measure you should get some tangible real life reward for completing that. Not that is difficult per se' but a true testament to the necessity of patience IMO.

I haven't posted regularly in the journal for some time because all I do is play bloodborne like I'm stuck in some time loop.  My interest obsession shows no sign of ending, so I forced myself to really put in some dedicated time on Mass Effect 2 this week.

MASS EFFECT 2/ I love Jack's character. Just did her optional loyalty quest and love her more now. I have a digital crush and am now cheating on Rei Ayaname.
I am more a battlefield than a Ninja.

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #3556 on: July 03, 2015, 04:20:25 PM »
MASS EFFECT 2/ I love Jack's character. Just did her optional loyalty quest and love her more now. I have a digital crush and am now cheating on Rei Ayaname.

You spelled her name wrong.
Do you even know her birthday?
WHAT KIND OF LOUSY HUSBANDO ARE YOU!!!!?

---

For some reason, I just don't feel anything for anyone in Mass Effects.
I mean, as Shepard, I'd rather focus on the Universe not dying than wasting precious time getting some coitus.
I guess my crew probably nicknames me Buzzkill Shepard behind my back =(

(Yes, there's a long list of books/movies/games I hate about characters setting everything aside while in a dire situation just to get their funk on)

« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 04:25:02 PM by Annubis »

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #3557 on: July 03, 2015, 05:08:48 PM »

I think I'm going to borrow my friend's DS and play 999 (legally this time!) and then immediately transition into Virtues Last Reward right after.

I might even do a game journal about it since they're not really that long.

I'd actually love to read that, and a good handfull of us here are pretty big fans as well, I believe.
And you'd be striking while the iron is hot with the recent announcement of the third game. :D
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3558 on: July 03, 2015, 05:31:02 PM »
As I posted, for some reason Square decided it would be a good idea to make sure you can't actually level up any new characters by taking away random skirmishes. Otherwise what I played of it wasn't any worse than FFTA.

They also made it harder to steal weapons and abilities (now exclusive to the Seeq race; a race made specifically to further make the Bangaa redundant) which in turn made it harder to break the power curve wide open. They also nerfed several of the more broken Jobs from FFTA1 (most noticeably the Morpher (which they straight up cut) and the Assassin), but that really didn't do a hell of a lot since Jobs like Assassin and Juggler were still stupidly broken and they went and added the Gira who were broke right out of the box (flying as a racial modifier tends to do that; having a handful of high powered Jobs just added to the carnage they could inflict).

But in spite of all that they did to make things stupider, FFTA2 is still a massive step up from TA1 just on the fact that they nerfed that stupid Laws system to hell and back (breaking Laws would only cost you a post battle bonus while adhering to them gave a minor in battle buff; instead of striking them from a match and imposing a permanent stat penalty on said offender). That said, Luso is one of the worst FF protagonists in the history of the series, and unlike FFTA1 where the plot was accidentally interesting (Marche is practically an FF villain in all but name and ridiculous costume; and by ridiculous, I mean not all black armor or something glam rock-ish), TA2's plot is barely there and almost totally irrelevant. If there's anything that FFTA2 did outright worse in terms of gameplay, it'd have to be those stupid post game dungeons.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3559 on: July 03, 2015, 07:54:22 PM »
wrt Growlanser 1, what did the PSP version add/change? I was sort of thinking about getting the PSX version 'cause it's cheap and I don't have a PSP (but I DO have 10 bucks sitting in paypal from a refund that I don't trust paypal to not eat), but if the PSP version is significantly improved enough maybe I'll go that route... Also I guess PSP got Growlanser 4 release domestically as well, which I know nothing about.

From the videos I saw the remake looks kind of... deliriously low-res too.

--

Morrowind - Wandering around some ebony mine. Game's a lot darker than I remember. Need to get a lighting spell I guess. Also trained alchemy up enough so that I can actually see what potions do. Main buy (Ajira inthe mage's guild) is out of money anyway right now so I don't think I should bother with the ebony. Probably going to Caldera - I need to get my speechcraft up before I do the next set of mage's guild things, and I want to get my attacking skills up before I get the main quest going.

Nanatsu Kaze - Wandered around in current chapter a bit. Found slug guy but he ran away. Got into the back entrance to the lake.

Anyway gonna ToR a bit. I'm still not a hundred pertotally sure where Eugene's eyes are.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 01:48:42 AM by MeshGearFox »
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3560 on: July 03, 2015, 09:12:09 PM »
They added new characters and stuff related to those new characters, including new story paths, but I can't find any info on whether or not they made any other adjustments or changes. I think once it was confirmed to not be coming to the U.S., people just stopped caring about it...

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Klyde Chroma

• View Profile
« Reply #3561 on: July 04, 2015, 03:14:32 PM »

You spelled her name wrong.
Do you even know her birthday?
WHAT KIND OF LOUSY HUSBANDO ARE YOU!!!!?

---

For some reason, I just don't feel anything for anyone in Mass Effects.
I mean, as Shepard, I'd rather focus on the Universe not dying than wasting precious time getting some coitus.
I guess my crew probably nicknames me Buzzkill Shepard behind my back =(

(Yes, there's a long list of books/movies/games I hate about characters setting everything aside while in a dire situation just to get their funk on)

Oops. I didn't even realize I made an error.

Anyhow, yea my Shep isn't exactly a people person and not really concerned with hanky panky. He did find time for blue alien sex in the first game, but my renegade playthrough here reveals a cold dickhead more concerned with his mission than anything else. I didnt intentionally go renegade, but my natural selection in options has yielded a very renegade dominate dude. The coolest part about this, and why I bring it up, is we get to see Shep act in ways more accurate to how we might if our charge was saving the galaxy. i know having an "evil" route in games isn't a new or fresh invention, but I would be remiss in not admitting that I feel it comes across as way less "evil" and yields a far greater (relatable) human aspect to the Mass Effect MC that knocks immersion out of the park for me.

To those ends, it is the multi-dimensional characters and well fleshed out detail of everyone down to even unimportant alien races and NPCs that continues to feed my suspicion that this game has some of best writing I've come across in a long time. Immersion via Shep is great, but its having my shepherd in a legit believable universe full of attention given to damn near everything both sentient and non that makes it easy to care, if not both adore and loathe, to some extent.

MMMMMkay done singing ME praise for the day.

Other news.

BLOODBORNE/ Depth 4 cursed chalice had me game over'ed more than I'd care to admit but not before this hunter made out with some uber gems and loot. Not much to report but at level 124, after beating the game waaay over-leveled, the amount of challenge left here is pretty astounding. Additionally, after killing every NPC I came across in my first play, I am trying to make sure I proceed with and complete all the quests this time around and I concluded that is far more difficult than simply killing everyone and then buying the gear.

NEWS FLASH: Bloodborne is hard

(Tunnels)

• Professional Thinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3562 on: July 04, 2015, 05:29:41 PM »
Beat Bloodborne. This game is the Lovecraftian horror game of my dreams. I got the "Secret" ending, and judging from what I've read about the other two, I would call it the best ending.

I had so much fun with this game, even if I have been playing at it in drips and drabs in the past few months. Can't wait for the DLC.

mecharobot

• Trombe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3563 on: July 05, 2015, 05:56:54 AM »
I've been playing some Mana Khemia and New Super Mario Bros Wii mostly. I'm still kind of getting my ass kicked in Mario, especially if I get greedy with the Star Coins. Now I've mostly been content with just progressing through the worlds and getting what I feel is safe. It is somewhat more exhausting than playing Galaxy, could be that the 2D creates some tighter situations and to be fair the power bar really helped in Galaxy (and 64?) since you could take up to six hits with power mushroom and even replenish health simply by picking up coins. I really can't afford to get hit by anything in 2D Mario.

As for Mana Khemia, I'm not really too sure what I think of it. I like the Grow Book, but on the other hand battling feels so redundant and also somehow the Burst mode, which was great fun in Iris 3, got nerfed down (along with skills that do pathetic damage and cost way too much SP). Time limits don't seem to be a problem, but that's also weird since it kind of sometimes exists and sometimes doesn't, meaning I can do whatever I want however much I want, but the grow book pretty much puts a cap on leveling so it just doesn't feel very rewarding to do much else than to go loot some chests I missed. Not to mention that day/night system which makes it impossible to do anything at dungeons during the night. In the end this leaves alchemy the main thing, which ofc is the series staple, but it's a bit of a shame since I actually liked the battles in Iris 3.

MeshGearFox

• View Profile
« Reply #3564 on: July 05, 2015, 11:59:48 AM »
Morrowind - Went to Caldera and killed the first Telvanni agent, but I'm not quite able to take on the other three. Also tried freeing the slaves in the Caldera mine but it looooks like there's some quest related to that so I'm not going to do that yet. Got a light spell. I think I'll go back to Balmora and make it more useful and then do the first main quest, or possibly take care of some wilderness quest outside of Caldera first. I thiiink if I can get Destruction up to level 20 I'll be better off. Also whatever school paralysis and chameleon are in.

Also note to self: I could just get some charm spell (I think Caldera sells one, either at the mage's guild or the fort), some fortify personality/speechcraft potions, and bribing money, and go do the next mage's guild quest, although this won't address the issue with my character not being good at attacking. First MQ dungeon throws enemies at you one at a time iirc which is more manageable and would be a better opportunity to build up armor and attack magic.

ToR - Only messed with this briefly ie saw like eight skits and grabbed some overworld chest.

Nanatsu Kaze - Gave the tree thing to the bell rabbit. Need to go find a wind stone so I can learn the orange wind and fix the moose-dragon's leg wings. THINK it might be in the house with the hand in it by the lake. Also still haven't seen the hide-n-seek slug again.

-- edit --

More ToR - Fun with emotionally traumatized furries!

I can't really pin down why but this feels not at all like my mental model for how Tales games feel.

Morrowind - Got more ebony (and also mark and recall so I can empty out the mine in question easily) but the Khajiit in the mages guild I was selling stuff to is out of money. Made a better light spell, at least. Guess I'll go dump the ebony in the fighters guild chest I appropriate and go do the first main quest.

-- edit --

Morrowind - Got the puzzle box from Argletharglebad but my /main spear/ broke and I ran out of life juice so I had to go back to Steve Balmer to repair my spear and get more life juice. Also hit level 3. I never really noticed this, but there's value in developing your miscellaneous skills in MW too, it's just harder to do it normally so trainers are more important. Ergo I'd just binge train up alchemy and armorer and some of the other magic families if I wasn't set on getting a charm spell (which is like 2K).

My Arm - OW I HAVE WASD SHOULDER.

... I need to get back to ChoroQ. I put that on hold till summer and that's be the season that be. I also put Jade Cocoon on hold till the summer when I got it. That was in 2013.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 12:11:37 AM by MeshGearFox »
o/` I do not dream o/`

Monsoon

• Electric Mayhem
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • Can't Stop the Monsoon
« Reply #3565 on: July 05, 2015, 03:09:05 PM »
Persona 4 Golden: my 4th run of Persona 4 in 3 years, 2nd on Vita.  Two more tasks until I have the Platinum trophy: complete the full compendium, which will happen once I grind to level 93 and fuse Lucifer (currently level 91); and defeat Margaret, which I will attempt as soon as I get Lucifer.  Probably will take care of that this week. 

Paper Mario: been playing this off and on since January or February, but I'm not too far from the end. I have six of the seven Star Spirits and I'm doing some Super Block hunting before I start up the quest for the seventh.  I want to finish this one by the end of July, which is quite doable. 

Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time & Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask: I'll be housesitting for some friends in mid-July and I won't be dragging along game consoles (since I'll also be working full-time and taking care of their dogs), but I figure I'll have my handhelds to play with.  Very, very early into both of those two, but I want to put some hard time into them throughout July, after I finish P4G. 

Klyde Chroma

• View Profile
« Reply #3566 on: July 05, 2015, 03:51:13 PM »
Beat Bloodborne. This game is the Lovecraftian horror game of my dreams.

Completely agree with this.

I beat it a month ago myself after nickel and diming it and couldn't help moving right into a second cycle on NG+. I NEVER EVER HAD DONE THIS!!!

I beat a game, get an ending, it goes back on the shelf. Bloodborne is quite literally the only title I can think of that coaxed me into starting up again immediately upon completion.

MASS EFFECT/ Selected Assault Rifle for my adept Shep's advanced weapons training. Sort of bummed I didn't just do shotgun or something with a little more "Pow!!" to it. The shooting mechanic in ME2 is probably the only thing I don't like. It feels like I'm always firing pellet guns instead of actual firearms.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3567 on: July 05, 2015, 04:34:24 PM »
The Shotgun in ME2 wasn't that great, IIRC? So I think you made the right choice.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #3568 on: July 05, 2015, 04:39:49 PM »
As a sniper Shep, the upgraded sniper rifle is really all I ever wanted and needed.
That thing one-(head)shots so many things.

Although I've often wondered what it'd be like to take Assault Rifle training instead... but in the end never did.

MeshGearFox

• View Profile
« Reply #3569 on: July 06, 2015, 12:12:01 PM »
Morrowind - Got into Lower Angband.

1. Need to get some sort of jumping potions (rising force?)/spells before I can go further.
2. Should probably pick up Night Eye instead of using the Ghetto Night Eye that I made.
3. Need to sell a bunch of loot I found and go back and get a (rather valuable) hammer I left lying in there.
4. Get some better soul gems so I can try trapping the dwemer ghosts maybe.
5. Bribe Ra'virr for awhile.

THIS GAME IS QUITE A LOT BETTER THAN I REMEMBER ALTHOUGH I DON'T THINK I ACTUALLY /PLAYED/ IT BEFORE, OPTING INSTEAD TO JUST MOD THE HECK OUT OF IT although I kind of have developed a distaste for mods in general over the past year which comes after I spent more time than I should've making a mod for Legend of Mana WHOOPSIES.
o/` I do not dream o/`