Author Topic: A Game Journal Reborn  (Read 1912624 times)

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
Re: A Game Journal Reborn
« Reply #4275 on: November 18, 2015, 07:21:08 PM »
Afterwards I just went back to MGSV. I did beat Sahel, but things aren't still rollercoasting to the end or anything. The game is still being grindy as ever. When I'm playing I find myself thinking things like "why is material procession a thing" and "why do things take REAL TIME to get done, I get it, it's REALISTIC, but it's not fun". I know a good way to play this game actually, which would be to have it on at the background and then just spam combat deployment and waiting for mat process/income, but I refuse to waste my electricity on something like that.

Meh, can't wait to be done with this game and go back to less grindy and less insane RPGs.

I heard rumors the grind is in there to /inspire/ people to buy the microtransactions.
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Klyde Chroma

• LVL. 99 - Midnight Crusader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4276 on: November 18, 2015, 07:46:28 PM »
FALLOUT 4/ I'm getting sick of how much time it takes to manage my inventory. I feel like I am constantly in menus. The bitter sweet reality is I LOVE everything I've been playing so far but don't get enough it because I'm too OCD with my inventory management. I can't think of how they could have streamlined it any better so the fault is with my play-style and NOT the game but I seriously need to curb/amend my habits in that regard.

No progress in anything else because I'm too busy modding then renaming my weapons after music and art I like. -- KLYDE IS A CUSTOMIZATION JUNKIE --
I am more a battlefield than a Ninja.

divingfalcons

• Honorary Blue Rogue
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #4277 on: November 19, 2015, 03:05:11 AM »
Grandia - My progress has been so so slow over the last week because of life and othee stuff. I left off halfway into the Dom Ruins. I'm really enjoying this game, I love the characters, the battle system is fantastic, I like how it's very bright and colourful in presentation. Perhaps dungeons are a little samey but I'm actually taking the time to explore them. One thing Grandia has made me feel like is an adventurer.

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4278 on: November 19, 2015, 11:30:53 AM »
Perhaps dungeons are a little samey but I'm actually taking the time to explore them.

I kinda felt that too when I played it however many years ago. But you can get away with it more easily when the battles are avoidable. 

Grandia is such a fun game.  All of its nagging little deficiencies are more than made up for in other areas.

Anyhow, Game Journal.  Finally put Dhaos to rest and beat Tales of Phantasia.  I didn't hate it, but I certainly had to gut through some malaise and indifference to most of the main cast in order to see the credits roll. 

I'm about 6 hours in to Tales of Destiny and I can already tell I'll like Stahn more than Cless.  He's a goober for sure but at least he has personality.  Cless was basically a potato with a sword.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 11:37:56 AM by glassjawsh »

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

MeshGearFox

• View Profile
« Reply #4279 on: November 19, 2015, 08:08:26 PM »
DeltaZeal - Tried playing this without paying any attention to the score items. Managed to get through stages 1 and 2 without dying. Then I accidentally got into Stage 3b which is fried hell -- it's basically Darius Gaiden bullet patterns lain overtop some, uh, Raiden Fighters. Also I got the submarine WARNING things to trigger in Stage 4, only it was in blue water instead of red water and wasn't spawning the off-colored submarines that are worth more points.

And I still have no idea how to trigger the alternate path through stage 1.

I mean I guess there's a degree of jankiness to Triangle Service's games but they dynamic nature of them makes them so goddamn exciting to me.

Nandeyanen - This is not good.

STHA - Still drivin' around San Vandal Mansion in a stolen Bifta with my homes Rodi and Melody. We just picked up Basso an' about to go roll on some Ballas. Everyone's got lightning fingertips now. Rodi's sleep magic ain't work on the dead though. The dead already asleep.

I wish Strange Journey's dungeons had been this detailed and had such a sense of place :< Or most modern dungeon crollers for that matter. Or most other oldschool ones even.

-- edit --

STHA - Found the clock room and holy water in the mansion. Need some kind of clock winding key though I thiiiiiink. Not entirely sure what the skeletons hints are refering to. Might go explore the graveyard catacombs.

Oh wait no I think I know what to do with the holy water.
Code: [Select]
Note to self go back to the room where the furniture's being /playful/
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 12:19:41 AM by MeshGearFox »
o/` I do not dream o/`

divingfalcons

• Honorary Blue Rogue
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #4280 on: November 21, 2015, 06:13:28 PM »
Perhaps dungeons are a little samey but I'm actually taking the time to explore them.

I kinda felt that too when I played it however many years ago. But you can get away with it more easily when the battles are avoidable. 

Grandia is such a fun game.  All of its nagging little deficiencies are more than made up for in other areas.

Anyhow, Game Journal.  Finally put Dhaos to rest and beat Tales of Phantasia.  I didn't hate it, but I certainly had to gut through some malaise and indifference to most of the main cast in order to see the credits roll. 

I'm about 6 hours in to Tales of Destiny and I can already tell I'll like Stahn more than Cless.  He's a goober for sure but at least he has personality.  Cless was basically a potato with a sword.

Ghaa, I wish I had the patience to sit through Phantasia. The two awful ports we got prevented me from going more than halfway because it was just a chore. Tales of Destiny is probably the only game in the series I haven't played that I'm desperate to play. I'm fairly confident it'll be in my top 3 Tales games.

Grandia update time - I agree that the dungeon design does not detract from this game at all. I could play this for hours and hours and not get bored: I love the combat; I love training; I love the character interaction. As I was growing up, most RPG protagonists were older than me so I spent my time admiring them and perhaps looking past their flaws. In Grandia's case, I'm a bit older than Justin (I think he's 14? I'm in my early 20s so there's a gap) I feel quite proud watching him mature and grow up. We've just climbed up The End of the World and every time Justin, Sue and Feena doubted themselves, and one of the others puled them back through sheer enthusiasm, I really felt energised. I like how it doesn't feel as though I'm on a quest to save the world still, and that it's like an adventure with a group of kids. The game is packed full of fun and excitement. I'm loving this. I'm so mad I missed out on this the first time.

When we got to the top of the wall - man. Beautiful.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #4281 on: November 21, 2015, 07:02:38 PM »
Popped back in to Xenoblade Chronicles OG and finished the Ether Mines.

OH WHY DIDN'T I FINISH THE ETHER MINES EARLIER!?

Seriously, the awesome little developments/twists during all those cutscenes at the end of the Ether Mines has really revitalized my interest in the game. Probably would've saved myself some money and held off on Fallout 4 if I had given this game a chance to develop a bit more.

Still find the battle system a little boring.

MeshGearFox

• View Profile
« Reply #4282 on: November 21, 2015, 08:15:37 PM »
I can't say I ever got into XBC's battle system that much :S

I always felt like I was winning without really knowing what I was actually doing -- mostly just mash the skills whenever they turned on, and tried to get enemies toppled/dazed/whatever, which kind of amounted to doing the same set of attacks constantly. Which maybe isn't THAT different from how RPGs usually work although waiting for the skills to reactivate is sort of dull, because it's basically back in ATB territory, but really SLOW ATB.

Also you hit a part where you encounter these FFXII-ish elementals that get dragged into combat with you if you use a forbidden skill (and you invariably will do this) and they're not difficult but just massive damage sponges.

ANYWAYGv.

STHA - Met Garm/Galm? Do gotta complain that the translation's nooot up to SF3's level, although it's still far from bad :P Vampire was a pain because you don't have a ton of options to deal with him besides pumping out damage and healing. The knight guy you can sleep, which makes him easier (if you like realize this earlier than I did, especially :S). I still maintain that this feels a lot fresher to me than some of the more recent dungeon crawlers I tried.

Anyway guess I missed some push walls in something. You can't really SEE these, so that kiiind of bugs me, althouhg the ones I missed were just leading to bonus items, and not like, something you'd need to deal with to get through the dungeons, like the stupid hidden doors in Strange Journey.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 08:55:13 AM by MeshGearFox »
o/` I do not dream o/`

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #4283 on: November 21, 2015, 09:40:47 PM »
One of my biggest problems with the combat besides it being boring is when you're in an area heavily populated with mechon and have to use Monado Enchant once or twice in every. single. battle.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4284 on: November 21, 2015, 10:11:24 PM »
One of my biggest problems with the combat besides it being boring is when you're in an area heavily populated with mechon and have to use Monado Enchant once or twice in every. single. battle.

The end of your first run over the Bionis' Leg and the Ether Mines are probably the worst of that, and even then its only Reyn who's doing shit for damage since he's forced to either wait until Monado Enchant comes out or he manages a Topple, which still isn't all that efficient given that he's still reliant on Shulk to first Break the enemy.

The next Mechon heavy region is prefaced with Dickson setting up a shop selling Anti-Mechon weaponry. This is the only legitimate time you really need to buy non-Arts Manuals from a shop. And this is followed by enemies dropping better equipment anyways.

Admittedly, you might run into this issue if you head back to Mechon infested regions during the late/end/post game, but by then, you'll have two characters who'll never not do straight-up damage to Mechon (one of whom is a goddamn blender with legs regardless as to what she's fighting), one will either do half or full-on damage depending on the weapon (though admittedly, she sucks), one can Arts her way through them (or drop a Break/Topple combo on them to boot), and the other three are your various Tanks (and two of those have really good DoTs, which are arguably better than any of the above options and also ways to inflict Topple on their own).

Really, Reyn is the only character in the game that doesn't have a good way to deal with Mechon enemies outside of keeping an Anti-Mechon weapon on hand in case of emergencies.

And dicking around in the Ether Mines after your mandatory plot visit is pretty wasteful until you've hit at least Tier 3 Environment for Colony 6 (since messing around with Ether Crystals and the Gem Furnace isn't terribly efficient until you start running into Tier 3 Crystals and have, at the very least, the Shulk/Reyn relationship maxed out or close to it).
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #4285 on: November 22, 2015, 12:13:20 AM »

Seriously, the awesome little developments/twists during all those cutscenes at the end of the Ether Mines has really revitalized my interest in the game. Probably would've saved myself some money and held off on Fallout 4 if I had given this game a chance to develop a bit more.

Yeah, the Mines itself are a slog to get through (and besides the exploration aspect, which your extremely limited because of high-level baddies, the Bionis Leg is fun to look at but lame story-wise). But the cutscenes by the end should perk you up.  Plus you're getting one of the best characters soon.
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Wild Armor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4286 on: November 22, 2015, 12:54:41 AM »
Playing some Hyrule Warriors again. Still a fun game a year later. ;)

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4287 on: November 22, 2015, 04:00:40 AM »

Yeah, the Mines itself are a slog to get through (and besides the exploration aspect, which your extremely limited because of high-level baddies, the Bionis Leg is fun to look at but lame story-wise). But the cutscenes by the end should perk you up.  Plus you're getting one of the best characters soon.

Aren't you thinking of Tephra Cave? The Ether Mines doesn't really have anything super dangerous outside of a UM or two, and those are pretty outdated once you're finished with the Mines/mid way into the Swamp Ass.

But yeah, finishing the Mines nets you your Fourth party member and he's one of the best (actually, Four through Seven are all really nifty and cool in their own right, its just the first three, Shulk, Reyn and Sharla who are the boring ones gameplay-wise).

This all really comes back to the words of wisdom of "Don't waste too much time on Side Quests early on!". Do what you need to do to keep yourself up to a comfortable level, but the longer you linger, the more bored you'll get by the time the game starts to get real.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

eXaX

• View Profile
« Reply #4288 on: November 22, 2015, 06:00:47 AM »
So lately I have been on a PC / iOS gaming buying spree. For the PC I bought the following games:
Pathologic Classic HD, Consortium, Sunless Sea, Endless Legend, Darkest Dungeon, Exanima, Mount and Blade Warband and Warhammer 40K: Dark Crusade.

And on the iOS I bought the following:
Elder Sign Omens, Neuroshima Hex, Sorcery 1 - 3, Device 6, Heroes and Castles 2.

Why you might ask ?

Because I can ! /insert guitar solo/

For the iOS though, Sorcery is pretty amazing. It's a choose-your-own-adventure "gamebook" and it's pretty damn cool. It's almost entirely text-based but the writing is pretty good and cool to experience somehow. I suppose the greatest thing it accomplishes is its world building (which is apparently from a fantasy series? Maybe someone can clarify it for me).

Also Heroes and Castles 2 is surprisingly fun to play. Build your army and defend your town against enemies (so far skeletons). It's a game I did not expect was possible on the iOS with literally dozens of soldiers/skeletons/arrows, all fighting at once. Granted, the graphics aren't ultra high quality but not bad at all. It's pretty fun.

Being a huge H.P Lovecraft fan I decided to check out Elder Sign Omens but I have no idea what I am doing. Need to learn a bit more about how the game actually works. Still good art at least.

Now after buying all of those games on the PC, the game I have been spending most of time on is .... Xcom - Enemy Within. Yeah I know, it's stupid as hell.

Whatever, these games aren't going anywhere so I will get to them eventually (haha the greatest lie ever told).

But I can tell you that Exanima is a pretty amazing game so far. Its combat system is pretty cool, mega physical combat system where each and every limb has individual weight. In practice it looks like two drunken people staggering towards another trying NOT to faceplant the floor but in gameplay it's intense and fun.

mecharobot

• Trombe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4289 on: November 22, 2015, 07:17:03 AM »
I heard rumors the grind is in there to /inspire/ people to buy the microtransactions.

From the gist of how this works, it is something like that you can use a 2nd set of ingame currency to speed up developing, building or sending your combat team on missions. You can also buy an insurance (expirable) to prevent your stuff from getting stolen. You get some for free as well. The longest combat deployment I've had took 72 hours and building a 4th tier command platform on 1st FoB takes 24 hours.

Anyway, I'm probably going to not care about that anymore. I just finished the 2nd chapter last night and will probably start it up one more time to listen to rest of the tapes and leave my base in somewhat operational condition so that it is hopefully still there if I feel like messing around later. Nothing really against this game and I enjoy GZ/TPP chapter of the Metal Gear saga, but it was also a good case of a game overstaying its welcome. I like games that promise cake and then also give it. After 80 hours I'm just too exhausted to really care.