Author Topic: A Game Journal Reborn  (Read 1912662 times)

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
Re: A Game Journal Reborn
« Reply #4290 on: November 22, 2015, 08:56:27 AM »
GZ being really short is one of the things that makes me interested in it.

-- edit --

STHA - Went back to the Enrich Dungeon because I missed a secret dagger. Only it wasn't secret, it was in this huge, unexplored portion of the map that was /very clearly shown/ as being unexplored and there was even a path leading to it and I'd been on that path and just not turned right. Basically I suck at reading maps.

Anyway not gonna go back and get the stuff I missed from the GREYVJARD because I missed it on my own free will.

... Anyway it's November, I really should be playing Wild Arms something/Viva Pinata/Little King Story/games that I associated with Thanksgiving, but... STHA is seriously the most I've been addicted to a dungeon crawler since Nocturne.

I think it's the pacing. You can't really do a single dungeon in one go, but they're broken up nicely (into segments spatially, into bits blocked by key items, etc), the level and equipment progression is steady, and you can always get back to town easily. So it's like you're always just on the verge of finding something new.

Also I like getting nito combat just for the sake of looking at the monster sprites, they're really a joy to watch.

(Speaking of Sega games and games I associated with November, I guess Phantasy Star 2 remake got fan translated but apparently it sucks and everything was nerfed so it's somehow even more of a grindfest than the original version).

-- edit 2 --

STHA - Got Basso back. Exploring the snake dungeon. Basso is dead from Air Polyps. Oh god so many Air Polyps.

Forsaken - Uhhhhhhhhhh PSX version's controls are wonky and it's exceedingly difficult which isn't really what I want right now. It's like Machine Head but really mean.

I need some easier, shorter adventurey stuff from backlog but all the PS1 games I have are hard or long. Think I'll start digging through my PS2 bucket.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 09:38:30 PM by MeshGearFox »
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

ironmage

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • I know what you did and I wholeheartedly approve
    • View Profile
« Reply #4291 on: November 22, 2015, 11:18:03 PM »
Tales of Zestiria: I've been marathoning this through the weekend, and I just saved outside the final boss's room.  Trying to finish the game now would probably take me into the wee hours, so I'd better leave this until after work tomorrow.

Warning: you can fill up your inventory in this game.  It takes a lot of items, but it can happen, especially if you never sell anything.  There's an obvious message if you try to open chests, or fuse something, but if it happens after a battle, the items you receive will silently vanish into the ether.  This happened to me in the final dungeon >_> .  I guess the game wasn't kidding when it told me to sell items I didn't need.

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #4292 on: November 23, 2015, 12:25:34 AM »
Tales of Zestiria: I've been marathoning this through the weekend, and I just saved outside the final boss's room.  Trying to finish the game now would probably take me into the wee hours, so I'd better leave this until after work tomorrow.

Warning: you can fill up your inventory in this game.  It takes a lot of items, but it can happen, especially if you never sell anything.  There's an obvious message if you try to open chests, or fuse something, but if it happens after a battle, the items you receive will silently vanish into the ether.  This happened to me in the final dungeon >_> .  I guess the game wasn't kidding when it told me to sell items I didn't need.

ToZ's effort to inconvenience players is amazing.  :/
But I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it enough to marathon it.

Been doing more Trails in the Sky.... Despite my issues with it...i'll still be bummed if we don't see TC, Ao, and Zero.  Happy for Trails of Cold Steel, sad for the lot.
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #4293 on: November 23, 2015, 11:37:03 AM »
Dark Souls - Man, what a great game. As I've said before, I've never played any of the Souls games prior to this, so I was kind of intimidated about the difficulty hype going in. Then after playing a bit, I realized it's not impossible difficulty, but old school, 80s style difficulty.
*Nostalgia alert* - Growing up, I played a lot of 80s and early 90s CRPGs with my older brother. First on his Commodore 64C, and later, Amiga 500. Those were some tough games. Graph paper and/or a clue book were almost required to not get lost, or have your ass handed to you. A lot of big decisions in those games were final.
That's what this game feels like to me. Almost everything aside from the graphics and sound feels old school. You explore blindly, and learn through your actions. The learning part usually comes from dying, but of course, the cool part is that this game expects that. I honestly love that I can go in a certain direction, and without warning, some creature (or trap) can end my adventuring in one fell swoop. It puts a sense of fear in you, and makes you realize how many modern games hold your hand.
For instance, last night I was exploring the... uh... I think it's called Undeadburg, or something like that. I unlocked a (seemingly) random door and went down a whole bunch of tower steps. All of a sudden, this fully-armored dude with a huge, weirdly-shaped club comes running at me from out of the depths. Out of fear, I literally said "What the fuck is that??!!" out loud, and tried to get away from him, but he took me out.
I know seasoned players have already worked out paths for newbs to follow in order to get good weapons/skills early on, but I'm having too much fun with trial and error. As plenty of people have said about this game in the past: There's a real sense of accomplishment when you take out a difficult enemy, or find a well-hidden treasure. It's good stuff. Me likey very much.

Rayman Origins - I've gotten to what I believe is the final "world", but have not yet completed all of the stages. I have about 190 Electoons at this point. I'm trying to get to 220 to unlock a new character: What looks like a large zombie head of Rayman(?). So right now, I'm replaying earlier stages to try to get as many Lums/Electoons as I can. If I can get to the 220 point, and finish the main game, I'll consider it a job well done. I don't have a the time these days to be a completionist.
"Movies are better than people. You don't have to smell who you're watching." ~ Baby Cakes

MeshGearFox

• View Profile
« Reply #4294 on: November 24, 2015, 01:18:28 AM »
Tail Concerto - Re-did the Airleaf bit. I'll hold off on giving up on this until I do Ferzen, but... I don't know, I really worry that I'm convincing myself that I'm enjoying things when I'm NOT actually enjoying them, so when I run into a game I expect to enjoy and I have the completely opposite response, I guess, at least, it tells me that I'm not lying to myself nearly as much as I worry I am :S

It's the controls and the camera, when I get down to it -- I'm used to jankiness in old third person things because old third person things is most of what I play, but I've rarely felt such a complete disconnect between what I'm doing, at the controller, and what happens on screen.

Beyond that, screwed around with Psyvariar Revision a bit. Genuinely enjoy how this looks -- it's ugly, but in a really evocative sort of way. Also I feel like I get hit more when I use the spin button instead of manually doing it :S
o/` I do not dream o/`

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4295 on: November 24, 2015, 05:58:51 AM »
Got bored with bashing my head against KI:U's Treasure Hunt again so this time I decided to revisit an oldie that I unfortunately benched 6-ish years ago. Of course, I'm referring to VP:CotP on the DS, and to keep this post short, I've finally beaten the game and got an ending (A ending specifically). Now to start up on B ending.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

MeshGearFox

• View Profile
« Reply #4296 on: November 24, 2015, 09:19:36 PM »
Umihara Kawase Shun hit Steam recently although I seem to be stuck in First Edition mode. Also I wish you could save in this bargle.

Also Strania came out to although I don't seem to be able to run it at a decent framerate so I might get a refund on that and get the XBLA version.

Tail Concerto - Did the Ferzen stuff. Miiiight try the next area before passing judgement, idk. Judgment. Judgment is the proper American English spelling I guess. I never realized this prior to last night.

LD: PotB - Need to set up a LibreOffice database so I can figure out what text has actually be translated.
o/` I do not dream o/`

Yoda

• Fear is the Mind Killer
  • Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light
    • View Profile
« Reply #4297 on: November 25, 2015, 01:48:56 AM »
Having so much fun with Dark Souls. Today I beat the stray demon, dark sun gwyndolin, and the hydra in the basin. Ill do four kings tomorrow.

Rgeneb1

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4298 on: November 25, 2015, 03:54:52 AM »

For the iOS though, Sorcery is pretty amazing. It's a choose-your-own-adventure "gamebook" and it's pretty damn cool. It's almost entirely text-based but the writing is pretty good and cool to experience somehow. I suppose the greatest thing it accomplishes is its world building (which is apparently from a fantasy series? Maybe someone can clarify it for me).
Sorcery! was a four part series of the Fighting Fantasy books in the early 80's, written by Steve Livingstone. Hugely popular at the time with kids who wanted to play D&D but didn't have any similarly inclined friends. Two dice, a pencil and a FF book would entertain for days :)
Sorecry! was the "advanced" version of the FF books, basically it just meant you had a spell book you could also use in battle. Of course there was a serious honour system involved, when the book asked if you had learned spell XYZ you could lie and progress the story, or be honest, say no and have to start all over again at the start of the book. I got really frustrated having to restart way too many times before I figured that one out. What can I say, I was a stupid, but honest, kid :p

The most famous FF book is probably "The Warlock of Firetop Mountain" which is currently being turned into a roguelike RPG, apparently.

Just so I am on topic for the thread - currently playing and enjoying Dragon Quest Heroes on PS4. And I'm one of those bizarre players that loves it when my PS4 controller starts talking to me :)
[/quote]
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 06:12:34 PM by Rgeneb1 »

mecharobot

• Trombe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4299 on: November 25, 2015, 09:58:41 AM »
Back to some stuff:

AssCreed III: Eeh, I killed some important guy I guess. Also spent all my cash on maps. I still haven't bought a single piece of equipment and have no idea what the collectibles in this game do. This might seem like a good thing, but honestly I feel like I'm not getting anything from going to hotspots on the map. Actually I'm beginning to think they're randomized filler trash.

Final Fantasy III: Still not feeling the jobs are actually any good at all and am regretting not making everyone a red mage.

Mana Khemia 2: Going to do the female protag path. Can't say much, but it seems this has some little changes from MK1 that I don't see are for the better, like the gathering reels. Grow book and the battle UI also seem less appealing for some reason.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #4300 on: November 25, 2015, 01:10:47 PM »
Back to some stuff:

Final Fantasy III: Still not feeling the jobs are actually any good at all and am regretting not making everyone a red mage.

Are you playing the Original Famicom version or one of the jank remakes?

Either way you'll want one White Wizard/Mage at all times outside of maybe the Garuda fight, until you unlock a Devout in which case you upgrade to that (and then Sage if you're playing the Famicom version, otherwise Devout is going to be your best healer since they didn't get nearly as horribly nerfed as every other non Knight/Dark Knight job in the game), and one Two Shield Knight once its available for full time Cover-age. The rest should change based upon what the dungeon of the hour calls for (be it Black Wizards/Mages, Red Wizards/Mages, a Karateka or a Scholar). Don't be afraid to double or triple up if you need to. As for Red Mages/Wizards, they fall off really fast in that game, since they're always behind in casts per level and cap out at Level 5 Magic.

mecharobot

• Trombe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4301 on: November 25, 2015, 03:31:07 PM »
It's the PSP port of the DS remake. Not a very good one and I feel like my time would be better wasted playing DQ if I want to grind. Anyway, maybe it gets better after I get more jobs, but it just doesn't feel quite as good as FFV's system despite being quite similar. Switch penalty, insane job levels and I'm pretty sure something confusing is going on with the stats as well. Probably I'll look up some ideal team to stick with and won't bother with anything insane like onion knights.

MeshGearFox

• View Profile
« Reply #4302 on: November 25, 2015, 06:26:20 PM »
it just doesn't feel quite as good as FFV's system

It's not. Not by a long shot. You don't really get any skills to play with like you do in 5, and from what I remember a lot of the classes just amount to different flavors of stat boosts. It's like the DQ3 class system but with a lot more redundancy

Umihara Kawase Shun - Still prefer Sayonara just for the fact that I can save but also for no random fish spawning. Still need some proper explanation of how physics work. Also the PC version, at least, of Sayonara feels a lot smoother -- there's this slight difference in line physics I thiiink, where in Sayonara if you're hanging off of something and you shorten the line, it'll pull you around corners, whereas in Shun you just get stuck on the platform and I find that /really/ jarring.

Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying Shun, I just like Sayonara more.

Tail Concerto - Man I don't want rag on this because I know in some circles it's considered a forgotten classic and I'm trying to not be such a /negative Nelhaym/ but between the generic characters and storytelling, lack of any sort of exploration, barely-there level design, hitsponge bosses, dysfunctional camera, dysfunctional controls, and the soundtrack that was ostensibly composed by a Percocet overdose with a MIDI keyboard it found somewhere, the going rate for this game on eBay has done little to dissuade me from my theory that furries will buy anything.

-- edit --

Sayonara Umihara Kawase - Did Level 25, 50, and 27; got backpacks on 50 and 27. I think my big thing with being able to basically start from any level in this game is that it lets you experiment with how you approach the levels -- not having limited lives means you can be less cautious and I can see why that might be a bad thing for some people, but that goes counter to how I approach figuring out levels. Aaaand by that same token I think that freed up the designers to get a bit more creative with the level design, too?

STHA - Cleared the second ice place and picked up two more fairies. Beat the second Tail Viper. Have some mithril but I got some indication that I shouldn't make items till I get Doyle. Need to see if I can sleep the air polyps.

LibreOffice Base - gif of that guy from indiana jones and his face is melting

-- edit --

I think LibreOffice just crashed this game is terrible

-- edit --

Oh god now my laptop is overheating I swear to god LibreOffice is the least optimized game.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 01:05:49 PM by MeshGearFox »
o/` I do not dream o/`

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #4303 on: November 29, 2015, 04:20:33 AM »
It's the PSP port of the DS remake. Not a very good one and I feel like my time would be better wasted playing DQ if I want to grind. Anyway, maybe it gets better after I get more jobs, but it just doesn't feel quite as good as FFV's system despite being quite similar. Switch penalty, insane job levels and I'm pretty sure something confusing is going on with the stats as well. Probably I'll look up some ideal team to stick with and won't bother with anything insane like onion knights.

The NES/Famicom version is straight up better in everything but sound and graphics (and even then, the graphics are debatable). None of the additions made to the game were all that good or necessary outside of making the Ancient Cave less awful (its still awful, just less so) and actually making the Onion Kid Knight usable (since the odds for actually gaining a single piece of Onion equipment in OG FFIII is ludicrously low, nevermind a full set).

The biggest failing of the DS remake was replacing the Capacity mechanic with the Stat Debuff Penalty (Capacity was just some points you accumulated after battle that only existed to be spent on switching Jobs and limiting the number of times you can switch Jobs all at once, as well as discouraging you from switching Physical Jobs with Magical and vise versa), namely because Capacity was a minor speedbump at best and hardly an issue after the early game since you don't always need to switch all four members of your party at once (three dungeons force you to go Mini and the Garuda and Odin fights really benefit from having a full team of Magic Users and Lancers respectfully), whereas the Stat Debuff was an active detriment that took way too long to clear, especially in this game where it expects you to change at least one or two characters into the Job of the Hour just to make whatever dungeon you're in doable or at least less shitty.

And despite efforts to the contrary, Matrix Software did not manage to make the shitty gimmick Jobs like Scholar good or noticeably better, but instead managed to crap up some of the best Jobs to compensate (Sage and Ninja are actually worse than Devouts and Dark Knights now, but that just means that instead of forming a party of Two Ninjas and Two Sages to tackle the Dark World, you're forming a party of a Sage, a Devout, a Ninja and a Dark Knight instead). Also, there are pieces of equipment that theoretically boost even the shittiest Job's performance to something far more comparable, but to get those pieces of equipment, you need to raise the Job Level of the respective Job to level 99 in order to actually get it, as not even the designated White Mage/Wizard will get their's without some ridiculous amounts of grinding in spite of literally having almost the entire game to work towards it.

Here's the breakdown of each and every FFIII Job (with their DS Remake's performance noted in parentheses):

Freelancer: N/A (Almost as bad as the original's Onion Kid but without the prospect of suddenly becoming ridiculously good; change immediately)
Onion Kid (Knight): Crap until you either hit level 90 or obtain an Onion Sword and at least one piece of Onion Shield/Armor/Helmet, then they become the strongest Physical Job in the game (more or less the same, but is actually possible to field one before level 90 since finding Dragons isn't complete ass in this version, on top of now being able to use Magic; even then, they're for completionists only (also for the DS version exclusively, they're impossible to actually obtain due to Mog Mail going away along with the rest of the DS's online capability)).
Fighter: Your first tier Physical Job and you'll probably want one until you beat Salamander and get the Fire Crystal's Jobs, at which point they become immediately worthless (same).
Monk: Your alternative first tier Physical Job who's gimmick is that its damage rating with Unarmed will eventually skyrocket and you can finally discard whatever shitty weapon they were using (same).
White Wizard (Mage): Quintessential. They are your main healing Job until the first endgame dungeon. Unfortunately, they start getting long in the tooth long before then (they're probably the only Job in the DS version that actually gets a straight buff in that it now has Sage levels of MP charges for its earlier levels, at the cost of whatever charges they might have had at Level 5 Magic and up).
Black Wizard (Mage): Crap outside of fights against assholes like Salamander and Hyne. Red Mages make them redundant early on, Geomancers make them semi-redundant during the midgame and Warlocks, Summoners and Sages make them redundant afterwards (Black Mages get the same buff as White Mages, but are still mostly worthless since they gain far less from having more low level spell charges than higher charges and become horribly outdated once Level 6 magic hits).
Red Wizard (Mage): Better than Black Wizards until you leave the Floating Continent at which point they become worthless (I think they last until Salonia in this, but that hardly even matters since Salonia itself is the first big post Floating Continent choke point).
Hunter: A worse Red Wizard that can last you up until Salonia, at which point their gimmick isn't worth it anymore. Doesn't help that their weapon runs on ammo and can't dual wield (still an almost entirely useless Job, I don't recall them getting rid of Arrow stocks, probably because they still weren't worth ever using).
Knight: The game's best tanking class since it can automatically Cover allies in the Critical status, and is probably the only Job in the game that ever wants to use Shields. Stick 'em in the back row with Dual Shields and let 'em tank (same).
Thief: Bad. Better-ish Hunters, but otherwise don't bother using outside of Goldor's Manor unless you're really hard up on Magic Keys or the Inventory Space to hold Magic Keys (still Bad).
Scholar: Hyne. That is all. (they can actually use Magic now, but otherwise same).
Geomancer: Gimmicky, but they can be good alternatives to either Callers or Black Wizards since they aren't hamstrung by MP, just the RNG (same).
Lancer: For those of you who want a more offensively oriented Physical Job, but also want a Job with some actual durability, then the Lancer is for you. Also Jump is really good for dealing with asshats that love spamming powerful target all attacks like Garuda and Odin or asshats that split when taking damage. Though they fall off once you hit Fargabaad (same).
Viking: Garbage. Worse Knights in everything but Defense, but don't have Cover and Knights don't need Defense when they have Shields. Avoid (same).
Karateka: Your upgrade to Monks, but their worth is debatable due to their shoddy Defense. Amazing HP growth though and BuildUp is better than nothing for the asshats of the Ancient Cave (same).
Magic (Dark) Knight: Worthless until you start looting Darkness Cave at which point they become the third best Physical Job in the game, losing to the Ninja and a tricked out Onion Kid (same, except that they are now become the second best Physical Job in the game since Ninjas got nerfed hard).
Conjurer: Gimmicky crap. Most Summons before Odin aren't worth using to begin with and this Job can't even actually summon them, but instead Call upon Summons to either do something almost useful or waste your time (same).
Bard: Completely worthless (same).
Summoner: Competes with Warlock for designated Offensive Magic user if you still have one at this point since you're now at the endgame and hopefully you got both Leviathan and Bahamut, otherwise the choice is clear (slightly better, or more accurately, Summon Magic is now much worse since this is now your only Job that can actually Summon, unfortunately it also stole the Sage's MP pool).
Shaman (Devout): Your designated upgrade for your game long White Wizard for all of an hour and a half since Sage is literally only a dungeon away (upgraded into being the best Magic user in the game due to a combination of having all its upper levels of MP upped in casts to what used to be the Sage's number of casts, the lower levels got nerfed in exchange but who gives a fuck).
Warlock: Your other designated Black Wizard upgrade provided you're still using offensive Magic at this point. Either way Sage blows it out of the water (worse since fights are easier and Warlocks have fewer casts in general and Sages and now Summoners make them redundant).
Sage: Top Tier Magic User. Period. Can use literally any Spell or Summon in the game and has more MP than any other Job in the game. (NERFED! Now can't Summon, which instead of weakening Sages or making Summoners worth using once you got one, you just regulate your one Sage to Flare instead; Devouts do out perform their Healing capacity though which keeps Devouts from being immediately outdated).
Ninja: Top Tier Physical Job. Unless you get stupidly lucky and you stumble upon an Onion Sword AND one other piece of Onion Equipment. Otherwise can use any piece of non Onion equipment in the game and have the stats that surpass everything but the Karateka's HP growth or the Onion Kid after level 95, and can also use Shurikens for massive damage (NERFED! Still have the equipment selection, though now also barring the Job Level 99 equipment, but have far less Defense and somewhat less Strength, though they got to keep the Speed and exclusive Shuriken access, Dark Knights are now better overall).

Or in short....

it just doesn't feel quite as good as FFV's system

It's not. Not by a long shot. You don't really get any skills to play with like you do in 5, and from what I remember a lot of the classes just amount to different flavors of stat boosts. It's like the DQ3 class system but with a lot more redundancy

MeshGearFox

• View Profile
« Reply #4304 on: November 29, 2015, 10:02:32 AM »
I think the worst part about the DS remake is that the dungeons go on forever, there's no save points outside of like inns, and there's no easy way to get /out/ of dungeons either. Maybe the original was the same but that's the kind of thing you really need to fix in your remakes, especially if they're on a handheld.

Like here's the really awesome thing about Shining the Holy Ark, for comparison -- dungeons still don't have save points, but they are usually divided up into sections locked off by key items, and once you get those key items you open shortcuts. So there's this flow where you play a bit -- I'm in the South Shrine now. Wonderful music and atmosphere btw -- find some item that lets you progress further n the dungeon, and then you can warp back to town, heal up, and save, and when you get back into the dungeon there's minimal backtracking because the thing you got opens new paths.

... A lot of more recent RPGs still don't get this right >:T

Also!

Sayonara Umihara Kawase - Iiiiii can't get level 24, nor can I figure out how to get the first door in level 20. I think I MIGHT be able to do something to bypass most of level 24, but not sure about 20.

Harvest Moon: BtN - The atmosphere keeps drawing me back :<<< Need to get a horse brush. Also someone explained the crop pricing balance to me, and it makes sense, but then I look at Harvest Moon 64 and turnips appear to be both the fastest growing and most profitable crops overall, so idk what's that about.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 10:16:14 AM by MeshGearFox »
o/` I do not dream o/`