Author Topic: A Game Journal Reborn

Frostillicus

• View Profile
Re: A Game Journal Reborn
« Reply #6195 on: December 05, 2016, 12:12:43 PM »
Divine Divinity - This game really opens up and becomes fun, once you find equipment that's worth a crap. I'm currently having a good ol' time exploring, and slaughtering enemies that used to have me running for the nearest town guards. As a result, I'm fining better equipment and more money. You really have to work in the beginning of this game ...which I think is awesome.
"Movies are better than people. You don't have to smell who you're watching." ~ Baby Cakes

Isjaki

• Kind of An Alchemist
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6196 on: December 06, 2016, 12:07:20 AM »
I liked the first Cold Steel but felt the endgame to be a tad drawn out. Its sequel will probably be my next Vita game, though.

The whole participating in the school festival was a little boring, but the last like 45 minutes of the game were excellent. That cliff hanger made me look around and go "YOU ARE KIDDING ME RIGHT?"
Cold Steel II is my rpg of the year, most likely game of the year. Still gotta play The Last Guardian but I don't think that will surpass Cold Steel II. The characters don't run with their arms at their sides!!!! Cold Steel II is an improvement in almost every way except for some framerate issues on Vita.

Ys: Memories of Celceta: Finished Selray and Comodo last night. Getting a little tired of going through the forest. Not too much variety so far. The combat is still fun. Adol and Duran are learning some fun skills.  I'm enjoying the way the story is playing out, and am making some guesses as to if there is going to be another friendly person who is actually the main villain. I'm finding this to be an improvement over SEVEN in most areas. But it hasn't grabbed me as much as Oath In Felghana. God damn that game was good. I might do a ng+ run on a higher difficulty after I finish Celceta.

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #6197 on: December 06, 2016, 11:34:44 AM »
Took the day off yesterday, simply because I really didn't feel like working. So, I spent the day playing a some games on my PC, with its crazy backlog (between GoG and Steam).

Made excellent progress on Divine Divinity. Now that I have better equipment, I'm busy exploring more areas of the map, and leveling up nicely. I'm putting skill points into a mix of Thief and Fighter (they have different, more pretentious names in the game) abilities. I just joined the Thieves Guild (something I do in pretty much any game that has a thieves guild, or an equivalent).

Finished Tales From Space: Mutant Blob Attacks. A fun, well-made puzzle platformer.

Took a look at Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines. To put it very basically, it's Deus Ex with vampires, but a bit simpler in its execution. Seems pretty cool, once you get past its age. I'll probably restart it once I get a better feel for it.

Started Borderlands 2. I actually started it for the first time about a year ago, but lost interest quickly. However, I believe that was only because I was still pretty fresh off of the first game, and needed a break from the format, because I'm having lots of fun with it now. I'm playing a version that included a bunch of DLCs, so it has even more to it now. It also helps that it runs much smoother on my PC than it did on my PS3.
Currently still in the very early stages of the game. Playing as Gaige, the Mechromancer.

"Movies are better than people. You don't have to smell who you're watching." ~ Baby Cakes

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6198 on: December 07, 2016, 12:11:54 AM »
iirc Bloodlines isn't really /simpler/ than Deus Ex per se but you're more locked into your race/stat allocations, so you end up with fewer choices in a given playthrough, but they're still there? Also iirc the fanpatch is basically mandatory.

Just curious, but how is Divine Divinity stability-wise for you? I remember trying to play it on my old Lenovo back in uni but it'd crash frequently when I tried to open doors, and being a game with a lot of doors, this was a problem. There's a good chance my laptop's integrated audio was causing that though, so!

Phantasy Star IV - Did the first dungeon out of nostalgia. Not sure if I really need to be replaying this, but uh... I like PSIV a lot :<

Suikoden 2 - Up to Kyaro. Guess I can't get Millie until later? I also forgot how ridiculously beautiful the tree sprites in this game are?
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Andrew

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6199 on: December 07, 2016, 12:21:36 AM »
Took a look at Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines. To put it very basically, it's Deus Ex with vampires, but a bit simpler in its execution. Seems pretty cool, once you get past its age. I'll probably restart it once I get a better feel for it.

I played this for the first time in maybe... 2010 or 2011? Loved it. Really engaging story and gameplay (better than Deus Ex, imo), though very unbalanced towards the end.* Also, super dark. There's some really, really messed up stuff you'll come across.

* Make sure you have at least some combat specialty. You can talk your way around/out of most things in the game, but the last chapter or so is hugely combat-focused and I've read you're basically screwed if your character can't fight (I was combat focused, so I can't speak to my own experience).
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 12:24:06 AM by Andrew »

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #6200 on: December 07, 2016, 03:46:38 AM »
iirc Bloodlines isn't really /simpler/ than Deus Ex per se but you're more locked into your race/stat allocations, so you end up with fewer choices in a given playthrough, but they're still there? Also iirc the fanpatch is basically mandatory.

Just curious, but how is Divine Divinity stability-wise for you? I remember trying to play it on my old Lenovo back in uni but it'd crash frequently when I tried to open doors, and being a game with a lot of doors, this was a problem. There's a good chance my laptop's integrated audio was causing that though, so!

Phantasy Star IV - Did the first dungeon out of nostalgia. Not sure if I really need to be replaying this, but uh... I like PSIV a lot :<

Suikoden 2 - Up to Kyaro. Guess I can't get Millie until later? I also forgot how ridiculously beautiful the tree sprites in this game are?

You get Millie really early from what I remember. Did you try talking to her?

Penguin Boss Demands You Join Our Discord!

CLICK HERE TO BE TAKEN TO THE RPGFAN DISCORD

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6201 on: December 07, 2016, 06:09:16 AM »

You get Millie really early from what I remember. Did you try talking to her?

IIRC, you can up until you lose the fort, then you need to wrest some kind of headquarters to start recruiting again, but its better to hold off for a while since you're gonna be stuck with whomever's in your party until then, and she kinda sucks.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #6202 on: December 07, 2016, 10:13:04 AM »
I played this for the first time in maybe... 2010 or 2011? Loved it. Really engaging story and gameplay (better than Deus Ex, imo), though very unbalanced towards the end.* Also, super dark. There's some really, really messed up stuff you'll come across.

* Make sure you have at least some combat specialty. You can talk your way around/out of most things in the game, but the last chapter or so is hugely combat-focused and I've read you're basically screwed if your character can't fight (I was combat focused, so I can't speak to my own experience).

You ain't lyin' about the combat. I noticed in like the 2nd quest you get that having some sort of combat ability is practically a necessity. Thankfully, my character is pretty bad ass in hand to hand. It was cool to be able to start that particular quest by sneaking around the back of the house, turning off the power, and feeding on the dude who comes outside to check.
I'm not against dark stuff... so long as it doesn't haunt my dreams - ...lol(?).

Seems like you've hit the nail on the head with Bloodlines. Meaning, there is some choice, but you're kind of locked into certain things. Still, it's a pretty bad ass game. The GoG version includes the latest fan patch, and it seems to run very well. I'm looking forward to playing it more in the future.

As for Divine Divinity, it crashed to the desktop in the very first dungeon, when I tried to read a book on a table. Wasn't a good sign. However, I've played for about 8 hours since then, and have had no crashes whatsoever, and I've visited tons of places; opened lots of doors; and looked at many books. Not sure if it makes a difference, but it's also the GoG version, and I'm playing on a medium/high-end desktop.

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #6203 on: December 07, 2016, 10:28:40 AM »
I'm in the middle of a week off but instead of starting FF15. I've been grinding away at WoFF. Finally have everything I need for the final battle. Its taken me about 60 hours (did all the tea room quests except for omega god). Its been fun but now I'm ready to finish.

edit: That ending.....OK WoFF you win.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 09:46:57 PM by Rook »

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6204 on: December 07, 2016, 10:42:01 PM »
Xanadu Next - Did the lost woods area. Back on Eaglet Mountain. Trying to remember if I needed the moonshoes for anything in the Eternal Maze area.
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6205 on: December 08, 2016, 01:43:07 AM »
Started up the original Ratchet & Clank (via the trilogy collection) the other day, and I'm already up to Hoven (or, "Obligatory Ice World" as I've been calling it). You know, I remember this being the roughest in the series, but its still a lot of fun. Mostly because I know it like the back of my hand. Though, I did have to look up a gold bolt already (which was basically in plain site, I just had to look up), and Orxon is still a mondo pain to navigate, but I think I'm past the worst of it. I recall Hoven being a fun level, and I don't think there's much past that (I know of one more major world and the Final boss level. There could still be another, but even the story is clearly coming to a close), so at least I'm on the home stretch. I'm debating whether or not I should start Going Commando afterwards, or if I should jump straight into the reboot for the PS4 like I had planned...

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

TurnerBasedXP

• View Profile
« Reply #6206 on: December 08, 2016, 06:40:56 AM »
I'm taking this winter to catch up on years of backlog. All the games I missed at the time that I waved to play bit didn't have the chance. I'm starting with Trails of Cold Steel I and II. Enjoying it so far. Also playing Fire Emblem awakening on 3DS during work breaks. Then I'm going to hit FFX HD remaster, Ni Nu Kuni, and Persona 4. Hope I can get through them all before best years release of Persona 5 and Horizon: Zero Dawn.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6207 on: December 08, 2016, 09:14:04 PM »
Ratchet & Clank (PS2) - Okay, turns out this game is longer than I thought. I'm currently exploring Olbanis, the planet where you can't use Clank. The difficulty ramped up hard, and this is far from the final level. I seem to recall this stalling all previous playthroughs, including my brother's (actually, I think it killed his interest in the game entirely), and...I can see why. I think I got through the worst of it, but certain portions are just unfair, especially the one where you have to go over an Ice bridge, with wind blasting, electric fences with no proper sense of depth even with the updated graphics, and no Clank to make the save. All with the game's patented "barely there" checkpoint system. Not to mention all the turrets I can barely see thanks to this stage's poor lighting. Actually, that's probably the main benefit the HD Remaster has over its predecessor, it seems a lot easier to see from a distance than it did before.

Bah! Let's just get this over with so I can get back to the fun parts. =(
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 09:16:26 PM by Mickeymac92 »

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Isjaki

• Kind of An Alchemist
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6208 on: December 08, 2016, 10:03:03 PM »
I'm taking this winter to catch up on years of backlog. All the games I missed at the time that I waved to play bit didn't have the chance. I'm starting with Trails of Cold Steel I and II. Enjoying it so far. Also playing Fire Emblem awakening on 3DS during work breaks. Then I'm going to hit FFX HD remaster, Ni Nu Kuni, and Persona 4. Hope I can get through them all before best years release of Persona 5 and Horizon: Zero Dawn.

That is quite the undertaking. The Cold Steel games are like 60-80 hours depending on how much extra you decide to do. Persona 4 is like 70 hours and FFX and Ni No Kuni are about 40-50. I do wish you the best of luck. All of those games are fucking excellent. Cold Steel II is my game of the year.

The Last Guardian: Start playing last night. Gorgeous world with a really good soundtrack. Trico is adorable, and how he interacts with the boy is precious. With that being said, the controls are a nightmare. Trico's AI is almost unbearable at times. This doesn't really feel like an evolution of gameplay from Shadow of the Colossus. Shadow of the Colossus did everything better in terms of controls. The strange thing is that I am still enjoying this game. Even after yelling obscenities at Trico for not responding to anything I will find myself smiling for something else. When the game works it is really enjoyable, but the problem is how often it works.

TurnerBasedXP

• View Profile
« Reply #6209 on: December 09, 2016, 07:02:11 AM »
I have 14 vacation days to take before years end or I lose them so that'll give be adequate time to put game hours in. It is probably a tall talk though. My main goal is to get through both Cold Steel games. I'm hoping to buy a Vita for Xmas so that'll help and give me more opportunity to grind out levels on the go.