Author Topic: A Game Journal Reborn

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
Re: A Game Journal Reborn
« Reply #7515 on: August 30, 2017, 11:54:50 PM »
Playing PCE Engine stuff mostly -- Tenshi no Uta, Manjimaru, Rondo of Blood, Blood Gear, and Splash Lake in particular.

Also Secret of Mana (not a PCE game, obviously!)

Not really playing No Man's Sky since 1.3 made some changes I'm not really in love with (planet gen is a very noticeable step down from 1.24, animal gen is... off, the new biomes are very repetitive  because none of the new plants or plant-like... things they have are procedural/vary, also the more realistic plants really, really clash with the existing, more fantastical ones, and I'm not in love with the new HD textures), so I'm waiting to see if those get addressed at all or if I should just roll back to 1.24.

Booted up A-Train 9 for a bit and didn't really play it, just went into ride mode and... watched that, and it was nice, and I'd really like finding some mostly non-violent/low-violence city exploration thing, although one with more persistence and less alien-ness than say Bernband. Something like Persona 5 maybe but without the actually game-like elements. Guess this is a good excuse to go back and finish Shenmue.

Although most urban, explorationy things are more in the GTA-style so not at all non-violent and like...

I had this moment the other day that maybe speaks to my I pretty much don't play a lot of modern games anymore, but I was watching someone stream the new Monster Hunter game the other day and half-way through whatever hunt that was, the target monster starts limping and trying to run away from the player, which is a visual cue that the boss is getting low on health and what you're doing is working, etc. But like, mentally I'm registering this as "this is a hurt and scared animal" and I had to shut the stream off because it was making me really uncomfortable?
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7516 on: August 31, 2017, 01:09:55 AM »
purple haired Kunoichi from Dead or Alive

Her name's Ayane. I had to look that up today, because reasons.

Also: Summer Games 2017 has finally ended in Overwatch, and I think it's safe to say I've played myself sick of it. Like, to the point where they literally folloswed up the end of an event - which includes temporary exclusive modes and unlockables - with the introduction of Deathmatch and Team Deathmatch in the Arcade subsection, as well as some much-needed character buffs, and I honestly still couldn't care less. =P

Seriously, though, I played an unhealthy amount, but at least I got 95% of the unlockables...only missed a few sprays and the only aesthetically attractive costume Sombra has had to date, which means I got 18 out of 19 character skins, as well as all the voice clips and other fun stuff. All of this came at the expense of actually having fun, however, at least by the final week when I had to rush to get the last few things I wanted, which turned it into a real grind despite there being no real purpose to all of that despite it all just being fanservice. I think it's safe to say that I'll never do that again...

Oh, and I also found out there's also another new map in the testing servers on PC, as well as more character reworks, so I think it's safe to say I'll have a lot to look forward to if I take a few weeks off and play something else.

So, TL;DR - Now I'm grinding in Street Fighter V. I'll post more detailed stuff in the Fighting Games thread, since I wasted a lot of time right now, but: This game is genuinely fun. It's just that the online-focus really gets in the way of it. I literally spent an hour chomping at the bit, because my internet was down, and I finally had some time to play it - however, no internet meant that I didn't have access to certain characters and stages that I got from the online shop...not to mention I wouldn't get any fight money for more characters...*sigh*

...I might just play something else instead, actually. None of my other fighting games make me put up with this rigmarole...Capcom, wtf happened? You're becoming a parody of what people expect big companies to be like...
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 01:32:59 AM by Mickeymac92 »

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #7517 on: September 01, 2017, 09:55:13 PM »
Megadimension Neptunia VII

I am kind of hating Noire's chapter of Hyperdimension Neptunia G (this game is presented as a compilation of games instead of being broken into episodes). She starts off in a dungeon where everything can do some serious damage to her with absolutely no healing items, so the wise thing to do is just run through. Except the dungeon is pretty narrow so enemies will often pursue which usually leads into a Back Attack. This all culminates in a boss fight that is luckily fairly easy so long as you managed to not get in too many fights on the way there.

Except then she has to go back to that dungeon alone again without any available equipment upgrades and so you need to grind some credits to be able to afford recovery items to be able to grind some more. Finally Uni eventually joins for a second dungeon, only that dungeon ain't much better and there's STILL no significant equipment upgrades. In fact Uni's weapon that is added to the shop after she joins is actually weaker than her default one.

Argh! Just really grindy and frustrating.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #7518 on: September 02, 2017, 06:54:02 AM »
I thought that was Idea Factory's motto. :p

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #7519 on: September 02, 2017, 03:42:56 PM »
I thought that was Idea Factory's motto. :p

Eh, the games usually aren't that grindy unless you want it to be with all the extra stuff they usually throw in each game. And even then it's usually more of a relaxing grind then a frustrating one. Nah, I think their motto is "When in doubt: boobs."

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #7520 on: September 03, 2017, 07:38:58 AM »
Played more of Tales of Beseria and starting to enjoy it a lot more. The story is getting better (still like the combat in Xillia a lot better tho) and Magilou has god-like trolling powers. I need a screenshot of her showing Laphicet the middle finger to make as my wallpaper.

ironmage

• chaotic neutral observer
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • I know what you did and I wholeheartedly approve
    • View Profile
« Reply #7521 on: September 03, 2017, 11:17:11 PM »

Fate Grand Order:  Why am I still playing this?

The writing is third-rate VN schlock.  A virtual reality simulation of future-Earth is predicting imminent disaster, so we're going back in time to fix some sort of damage to history.  Also, all famous characters in history apparently had personalities based on anime cliches.  The translation is abysmal.  I can't imagine a native speaker was involved at any level.  Fortunately, the writing being crap, it doesn't matter.

The gameplay is a vast improvement over Fate/Extra (which isn't saying much).  It's at least challenging enough that you can lose a character now and then, but it's still mostly a matter of preparation.  If you go into a battle with the right servants at an adequate level, you win.

So what's left?  Getting the party you want, which is pure gambling.  Humans are highly susceptible to inconsistent positive reinforcement.  And that's probably what's keeping me around...for now.

Let's Math.  The probability of a 5* servant summon is reportedly 1%.  Let's be optimistic, and say the chances of that 5* being Mai Waifu is 1/5.  The expected number of summons to get what you want is then 1/(.01/5), or 500.  500 summons costs 1500 spirit quartz, which at current rates, would run ~$1178.57On average.  It could easily be more.  If you pay $1000, and don't get what you want, it's not like you only need to pay another $178; the expected cost is an additional $1178.  No matter how many times you fail, the expected cost is always $1178.  (This assumes stochastic independence.  The server software might take pity on you.  Or mark you for a sucker.)  So far, I've paid $0.

There's currently a limited-time event on, which has increased drop rates for several 4* and 5* Saber units, and besides some of them being waifu material, I don't have any decent Sabers in my deck.  So, I spent all my free quartz / mana prisms / summon tickets, hoping, maybe, for an ArturiaAltria Pendragon, but any Saber would do.  Result?  I got a 4* Martha (a slight improvement over my current Rider), a couple 4* CE cards I don't care about, no Sabers, and my Robin Hood count is now five.

Conclusion: sticking with F2P won't get me the party I want on any sane timescale, but it would be absurdly expensive for me to try for the party I want via whaling.  There is no winning strategy.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7522 on: September 04, 2017, 12:37:50 AM »

The writing is third-rate VN schlock.  A virtual reality simulation of future-Earth is predicting imminent disaster, so we're going back in time to fix some sort of damage to history.  Also, all famous characters in history apparently had personalities based on anime cliches.  The translation is abysmal.  I can't imagine a native speaker was involved at any level.  Fortunately, the writing being crap, it doesn't matter.

The gameplay is a vast improvement over Fate/Extra (which isn't saying much).  It's at least challenging enough that you can lose a character now and then, but it's still mostly a matter of preparation.  If you go into a battle with the right servants at an adequate level, you win.

So what's left?  Getting the party you want, which is pure gambling.  Humans are highly susceptible to inconsistent positive reinforcement.  And that's probably what's keeping me around...for now.

Let's Math.  The probability of a 5* servant summon is reportedly 1%.  Let's be optimistic, and say the chances of that 5* being Mai Waifu is 1/5.  The expected number of summons to get what you want is then 1/(.01/5), or 500.  500 summons costs 1500 spirit quartz, which at current rates, would run ~$1178.57On average.  It could easily be more.  If you pay $1000, and don't get what you want, it's not like you only need to pay another $178; the expected cost is an additional $1178.  No matter how many times you fail, the expected cost is always $1178.  (This assumes stochastic independence.  The server software might take pity on you.  Or mark you for a sucker.)  So far, I've paid $0.

There's currently a limited-time event on, which has increased drop rates for several 4* and 5* Saber units, and besides some of them being waifu material, I don't have any decent Sabers in my deck.  So, I spent all my free quartz / mana prisms / summon tickets, hoping, maybe, for an ArturiaAltria Pendragon, but any Saber would do.  Result?  I got a 4* Martha (a slight improvement over my current Rider), a couple 4* CE cards I don't care about, no Sabers, and my Robin Hood count is now five.

Conclusion: sticking with F2P won't get me the party I want on any sane timescale, but it would be absurdly expensive for me to try for the party I want via whaling.  There is no winning strategy.

Time to roll a new account then.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

ironmage

• chaotic neutral observer
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • I know what you did and I wholeheartedly approve
    • View Profile
« Reply #7523 on: September 04, 2017, 10:29:06 AM »

Time to roll a new account then.

I need to reconsider what I want out of this game.

Sure, rerolling a few dozen times would practically guarantee better starting cards, but it's not like I'm going to get a complete set of Pendragon/Jeanne/Tamamo-no-Mae/Gilgamesh/Zhuge Liang.   There will always be a few really good cards that I can't get, or a limited time exclusive character with a really low drop rate.  As long as my objective is getting a perfect party, then I'm approaching the game on its terms, rather than playing it on mine.

I'm more than a little inclined to say "Screw you, Saber.  Screw you, RNG!  Jing Ke and I can beat this game without you."

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7524 on: September 04, 2017, 04:59:27 PM »
And on that note, got pissed off with FE:Heroes recently, so I decided to blaze through Actraiser.

Fun game, but I screwed myself out of the final level by building 4 bridges too many.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7525 on: September 05, 2017, 12:26:55 AM »

You remind me of my own Japanese free-to-play game addiction about which I ask myself the same question all the time.  Namely: KanColle.  Now that I think about it I've been playing KC for nearly four years now...it's remarkable how such a simple game can consume so much time.

But at least KC is not a gacha game!  It's monetization model is a bit unique and while there are many things you can spend money on the benefit of most of them is questionable and few players actually do.  What people do spend money on is more slots (when you start you can only have 100 ship girls at one time and there are more than 100 in the game so if you want to collect them all you have to spend money) and rings for "marrying" your ship girls (yeah...) which raises their level cap.  But I find this more tolerable because it's a simple transaction:  Pay your money, get the benefit (permanently).

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #7526 on: September 05, 2017, 12:30:07 PM »
Lost Odyssey - Just escaped Uhra with Sed and Tolten in tow. I wish those guys had joined the party earlier in the game. The regular six started to become stale long before this point. Speaking of this point in the game, things are finally starting to become more involving/interesting all around. Let's hope the pace continues.

Gran Turismo 6 - Haven't touched this in about a year, so I restarted it. I just completed all of the 'b' license races. Now starting on 'a' license races. The Renault Clio Sport '11 has unexpectedly been my most reliable car so far (meaning it has qualified for and won more races than any other car I have). What makes it even better is that it was a free prize car. However, the most fun to drive car I have is my souped up El Camino. That thing's ass slides around the corners just enough. ;) It gets bonus points for being a cheap purchase on top of that.

Isjaki

• Kind of An Alchemist
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7527 on: September 06, 2017, 09:57:12 PM »
Anyone playing Destiny 2? I'm playing on PS4

Draak

• View Profile
« Reply #7528 on: September 07, 2017, 09:17:31 PM »
Not really playing No Man's Sky since 1.3 made some changes I'm not really in love with (planet gen is a very noticeable step down from 1.24, animal gen is... off, the new biomes are very repetitive  because none of the new plants or plant-like... things they have are procedural/vary, also the more realistic plants really, really clash with the existing, more fantastical ones, and I'm not in love with the new HD textures), so I'm waiting to see if those get addressed at all or if I should just roll back to 1.24.

Disappoiting to hear, I bought it on GOG but had no time to test it out. Hopefully there's a rollback feature there too, just want a nice chillout game like Euro Truck.

I had this moment the other day that maybe speaks to my I pretty much don't play a lot of modern games anymore, but I was watching someone stream the new Monster Hunter game the other day and half-way through whatever hunt that was, the target monster starts limping and trying to run away from the player, which is a visual cue that the boss is getting low on health and what you're doing is working, etc. But like, mentally I'm registering this as "this is a hurt and scared animal" and I had to shut the stream off because it was making me really uncomfortable?

Let it sleep/eat to regain health and it'll be right back to finish the player off, true story. I do get what you mean, though. Even Pokemon is about beating living animals off for reasons.

Der Jermeister

• Journey of the Cursed Fur
    • View Profile
« Reply #7529 on: September 07, 2017, 10:38:31 PM »
I beat Undertale Vita on my family reunion trip, and was generally happy aside from the lack of indicators as to which areas had random battles (I had to grind a little since I basically said "screw it" when going the pacifist route) and infinite-looping bad ending.

I also beat Dragon Quest VIII 3DS and am working on the post-game content, which I'm glad actually adds to the story.

Still stuck on Quest 660 of Kingdom Hearts Union Cross, since I can't kill that damn healing cat fast enough.