Author Topic: A Game Journal Reborn

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
Re: A Game Journal Reborn
« Reply #7560 on: September 24, 2017, 07:31:00 PM »
Project Octopath Traveler (working title) demo was glorious.  Can't freaking wait. 

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7561 on: September 25, 2017, 01:15:52 PM »
Project Octopath Traveler (working title) demo was glorious.  Can't freaking wait.

Want.

Switch exclusive?  Or will it come out on PC?
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7562 on: September 25, 2017, 02:34:36 PM »
^ I've only seen promos for it coming out on the switch, but I don't necessarily know if that means it'll be an exclusive.

Klyde Chroma

• LVL. 71 Purple-cosmo-ninja-ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #7563 on: September 25, 2017, 07:03:49 PM »
Persona 5 -- I finally officially like this game.
I'm glad that you are enjoying the game. I hope the remaining portions of the game grab you the same way that the Futaba arc did.

I can't imagine not finding it appreciable now. The nuts and bolts of it for me are characters. Once I find myself identifying strongly with some/any of the cast I'm all in. Yusuke in particular makes everything enjoyable to me at this point.. Even the token Persona series "vacation day" at the beach was entertaining with him and his freakin' crabs.

The thing about Yusuke in particular that gets me is his private scenario. As a professional artist myself, he really expresses certain things that I've been afraid to ever vocalize as someone who's livelihood depends on my art. Hits home on some notes one might say.
I am more a battlefield than a Ninja.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #7564 on: September 26, 2017, 08:36:03 PM »
Haven't posted here in forever so prepare for a mega post about everything I've been working on, which probably won't be all that mega considering how little I often have to say about what I'm working on. Anyway!

Megadimension Neptunia V-II

Played pretty much to the end of my first playthrough but haven't finished it because I kind of ran out of steam. The game is very tedious, even for an entry to this series.

The characters are still great, I particularly like S-Sha, who is supposed to represent Squaresoft. She takes a lot of her personality from Squall so one of her running jokes is how everything doesn't interest her. At one point the rest of her group plan to help rescue someone and S-Sha joins them in their enthusiasm much to their surprise. While explaining her reasoning, she mentions. "Besides... [long pause] ...You don't need a reason to help people!" And my instant dorky reaction was along the lines of "*Ahhhehe... She said that line from the game!" There was another funny moment where some other characters went out of their way to prevent her from saying the word "Chocobo"

I even like the changes to the battle system. The new combo system makes building combo loadouts about more than just fitting in the most powerful ones and the game returns to a shared EX Gauge, meaning a lot more special moves. The Giant battles are also a neat deviation from the norm. My main issue is getting around can be a pain when you're constantly thrown into random battles with mobs way below your current level, and the scout system makes getting all the extras a major pain. I will finish it at some point, I'm just not sure when.

Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies

It's a Phoenix Wright game. It's fantastic. Athena is the best, don't @ me.

Destiny 2

The first of two games I bought on a whim this month. It is fantastic, I've already finished the campaign and now I'm mopping up adventures with my hunter. I even started a second character in case I get bored of endgame content at any point.

Mary Skelter

The second of two games I bought on a whim this month and yet another purchase I don't regret. This one may actually be a contender for GOTY for me. It does a lot of things to make itself stand out from other dungeon crawlers, things like having a strong focus on traps and obstacles (some of which even require a minor mini-game to overcome) and having effects carry over between battles and exploration. Character progression is similar to Dungeon Travelers, where you can change a character's job class and also "spend" acquired levels on permanent stat boosts.

Ys I & II

Finally trying to get into this series. The first two games are chock full of early-'90s unintuitiveness, and I've had to use a guide every once in a while when the game's progression is dependent on some obscure flag I can't quite figure out, but I've had a good--albeit frustrating--time with them.

Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle

S'pretty good. I like the rate at which the battles and available abilities/strategies become more complex, and even though I'm not very good at it I don't feel like the game is ever punishingly difficult like its inspirations. It's also a surprisingly relaxing game. I generally play it when I'm not in the mood for loud noises and flashy visuals.

and finally...

Senran Kagura: Peach Beach Splash

What an odd duck. It kept selling itself as a new genre for the series, a third-person shooter. But it still very much plays like the Hack n' Slash entries before it, just with a focus on long range weapons/attacks. I've played through about two campaigns now and tried a couple of multiplayer matches. The multiplayer has a decent amount of modes, but like the single-player doesn't feel very special.  The story is also incredibly weak, but then it was even pretty much promoted as filler between Estival Versus and the series' conclusion. I do have the urge to revisit Shinovi Versus after playing it, though, so it at least managed to accomplish that.

Aside from all those, I also popped DQ7 back in my 3DS after getting burnt out (already) on the new Story of Seasons, but I haven't played any more of it yet.

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #7565 on: September 27, 2017, 11:53:59 AM »
Forever cursed with Lost Odyssey.
-I buy it new 10 years ago. I (stupidly) lend it to a guy before finishing it, and he moves away without giving it back.
-Some years later, I purchase a used copy online, and the fourth disc is missing. Finally get re-credited after a stupid long battle with the seller. Didn't want to bother with buying it again after that.
-Earlier this year, I buy it used online again. I play through to the 4th disc, aaaaaaaand it's entirely unreadable. Thankfully, this seller has been much more professional about returns than the last.
I'm done with the damn game. Not buying it again. I ended up reading the rest of the plot on Wikipedia, and moved onto...

Magna Carta 2 - Holy crap does this game have some uncanny valley character design. Maybe that's how Koreans do, but I'm a few hours in, and it's still a bit unsettling to me. The large boobs are very much appreciated, though. The English voice acting is rather wooden, but of course, still better than good ol' Milla. The battle system is kind of neat. Especially when "chains" come into play. Anyway, just got off Highwind Island. Checking out the city/town of Azabet. Meeting new and interesting annoying people.

Gran Turismo 6 - Getting to the point that I do in all racing sims - where it's not that much fun anymore. That appears to be the International A (IA) class. I've finished most of the International B (IB) races at this point, and I'm happy as it is with how difficult some of them were.
Now with the IA class, the races are too long, and very tiny mistakes (even early on) can cost you a race. I understand that's how real racing is, but there's a reason I never took up real racing in real life. Anyway, now I'm gonna try to finish up the IB class races, and then I think I'll just focus on buying cheaper cars, and making them ridiculously powerful. ...Makes me wish you could do engine swaps, like in Forza.

Der Jermeister

• Journey of the Cursed Fur
    • View Profile
« Reply #7566 on: September 27, 2017, 04:57:36 PM »
I decided to go through Undertale again in the True Pacifist Route (after getting the Neutral ending), and I'm definitely glad I did.

Still working on Horizon Zero Dawn, and have hacked all the Tallnecks and have a view of the full world map.

ironmage

• chaotic neutral observer
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • I know what you did and I wholeheartedly approve
    • View Profile
« Reply #7567 on: October 01, 2017, 01:55:11 PM »
Valkyria Chronicles 3:  After a few victories with no casualties, the squad is beginning to warm up to Kurt, and he's managed to break the ice with two female squad members (Imca and Riela, both who have "issues"). At a couple points, I've been given a choice of two battles to pursue, although the consequences have not been made clear yet.  I wonder if the storyline branches too?  (If I get to choose, I'm going with Imca.  I like my women a bit anti-social).

There's been a joint mission with the team from VC1, against a particularly vicious imperial squadron, whom I will no doubt meet again.  It was fun to have Rosie and Welkin on my team again, but...tank machine guns in VC3 are totally nerfed compared to VC1.  You couldn't kill a chicken with these things, and AP and HE rounds, although effective, have limited ammo.

It has become painfully evident that there were at least two people involved in the translation.  One of them was close to pro-level (I think), but another appears to not understand Japanese at all; the translated text and the Japanese audio just don't match.

An easily dissected example is a line from the equipment shop.  The girl says: "Maido domo desu.  Kamisama wa okyaku-sama janakute okane-sama desu yo ne."  Literally:  "Thanks for your continued patronage.  My god is not the customer, but money, you know?"  There's a Japanese saying that "the customer is god", which roughly corresponds to "the customer is always right", so I would localize this as something like "Welcome to my shop, where the customer's money is always right!", or more liberally, "Welcome!  They say the customer is always right, but I'm just here for the money."  I don't think these are *good* translations, mind you, they're just the best I can do.

The actual translation text reads:  "I thank God, not because you are a patron, but because you're a well paying patron!"  Well, okay.  I guess they got some of the words right, but the concept is way off.  I wonder what else they get wrong, when there's no Japanese audio for me to cross-check with (or when the audio exceeds my listening comprehension, which is 80% of the time).

Questionable translation notwithstanding, I am quite enjoying my time with VC3, in sharp contrast to:

Fate/Grand Order: They've released the Okeanos chapter of the story, and to the already swollen morass of moe cliches, they've added a trope I detest:  The lolicon masochist.  Were this an anime series, I would leap to my feet, point at the TV dramatically, and cry out "DISQUALIFICATION!"  insert Phoenix Wright gif here

There's nothing left here for me but the treadmill of addiction, and that way lies madness.  I'm dropping this.  The next time I try a mobile game, I'll pick up on the warning signs earlier, and hopefully waste less time on it.  Bye-bye, Tamacat.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 04:41:48 PM by ironmage »

Der Jermeister

• View Profile
« Reply #7568 on: October 01, 2017, 06:40:27 PM »
Horizon Zero Dawn - Been doing sidequests, and I think Aloy's at level 40.

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - A bit of a clusterfuck regarding the plot, and it feels lacking/rushed in terms of the music and graphics, but the gameplay's okay, though a few enemies took forever to kill.

Tokyo Xanadu - Not bad, and I get Persona vibes.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7569 on: October 02, 2017, 10:27:52 AM »
a trope I detest:  The lolicon masochist

It really is horrible.  Good on you.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Der Jermeister

• View Profile
« Reply #7570 on: October 02, 2017, 12:02:16 PM »
I'm not fond of Karma Houdinis, myself.

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #7571 on: October 02, 2017, 01:12:12 PM »
I was sick over the weekend, and the wife was busy with her garage sale, so there was a whole lot of nothing-gettin'-done on my end. My son and I played the shit out of Modnation Racers as I recuperated. It's a pretty good kart racer, but what really sets it apart is that you can create your own tracks. I wish more racing games would let you do that (although I get why that would be less feasible with simulators). We spent hours taking turns building tracks, and racing on them. Great times. Reminds me of the good ol' days of playing Jaguar XJ220.

Magna Carta 2 - Didn't make much progress. Took care of Juto's first official assignment: Werewolf trouncing. Thankfully, Juto finally changed out of his bum clothes. However, the new boots are straight up stupid. Oh well.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7572 on: October 02, 2017, 02:43:00 PM »
Finally encountered a griefer on League of Legends. It really does just make a bad game worse. I'll try to at least take the lessons I learned and move on, though. Which was a lot. I learned a lot. Mostly from the other team. Certainly not from my own team. Definitely made good use of that report buttom, and I'll just mute 'em quick next time. The next time I see someone say "0/5? Must be AFK" (which I found out means "away from keyboard"), I won't even reply back. Got the same gripes in a Paragon match once. It's so lame. Not even anger-inducing, just...lame.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7573 on: October 02, 2017, 03:45:00 PM »
I used to play so much Modnation, man.  It was so cool downloading all different kinds of tracks and characters.  But after dozens of hours with it and trying tons of different stuff, I kept coming back to the same conclusion: it's just not that fun to actually race.  It just doesn't give the same kind of tight, satisfying feedback that I get from Mario Kart.  And the weapons aren't really fun either.  Blah.

Still have me quite a few hours of decent entertainment, though.

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7574 on: October 03, 2017, 02:27:41 AM »
Let's talk about World of Warships for a minute.

Considering how much I've played this game (read: a lot) it's a little odd that I haven't really talked about it here.  Maybe because it's not an RPG or anything, but then it's not like we only talk about RPGs here.

Anyway, I think I like the idea of WoWs (the 's' in that acronym is essential so people don't confuse it with World of Warcraft...) more than the actual implementation.  The game is kind of a mess.  A grindy mess that wants to eviscerate your wallet.  But let's start with how the game is supposed to work.

There are four classes in the game: Destroyers, cruisers, battleships, and aircraft carriers.  Now if this was a realistic game then battleships would completely curb stomp destroyers and cruisers and aircraft carriers would completely curb stomp everything.  It's not a realistic game though and that's OK.  Wargaming tries to make a rock paper scissors kind of thing where battleships beat cruisers, cruisers beat destroyers, and destroyers beat battleships.  Meanwhile aircraft carriers are off in their own universe...let's get back to them later.

I completely understand why they would want to do that.  Rock paper scissors type relationships work well in games and they want to encourage people to play a variety of classes.  The problem is the last part of that relationship: How do you make a destroyer beat a battleship?  A real destroyer would be made into fish food by a battleship's secondary guns before it got the chance to do much of anything.  Of course real navies had far more destroyers than battleships, but that's because a battleship is massively larger and more expensive.  You could build a fleet of destroyers for what a battleship costs...but Wargaming isn't putting battleships up against a fleet of destroyers.  It's one ship per player regardless of what you play and they want the destroyer to be able to win one on one.

I'm going over all of this because this goal profoundly affects many different mechanics in the game.  Let's go over a few:
  • Concealment - Every ship has a concealment rating that indicates how many kilometers away the ship will be spotted, but the real beneficiaries of this mechanic are destroyers.  Destroyers can have extremely low concealment ratings.  Unrealistically low.  This makes them great scouts and good for capping points on the map, but it also allows many destroyers to launch torpedoes at unsuspecting targets without ever being spotted.  Large, slow battleships are usually the targets of choice because hitting smaller and nimbler cruisers and destroyers from a distance is very difficult.
  • Unlimited torpedo spamming - OK, so it's an arcadey game that doesn't track ammo, fine.  But real torpedoes are far more limited than gun shells.  They are large weapons, essentially being small automated boats themselves.  Most destroyers carried a number of torpedoes equal to the number of torpedo tubes they had.  Once they were fired that's it.  Some IJN destroyers had torpedo reloads, but even that was normally limited to one set of reloads for each tube.  But in WoWs torpedoes are completely unlimited.  Furthermore most launchers have a reload time in the 1 to 1.5 min range, which is a lot compared to guns but considering how much more damage a torpedo can do it's still pretty fast.
  • Damage over time mechanics - There are two conditions that can cause damage over time: Fires and flooding.  Fires are usually caused by high explosive shells fired at a ship's superstructure (or dive bombers from a carrier) while flooding is only caused by torpedoes or--rarely--being rammed.  They work very similarly, though flooding causes damage must faster than fires.  The interesting point is that the damage caused is in terms of a percentage of the ships max HP.  So destroyers, with their low HP pools, take relatively less damage from fires or floods than a high HP battleship.  Thus spamming HE shells and torps is a very effective way for smaller destroyers and cruisers to take on battleships, or for any ships really to take on higher tier ships when they get up-tiered.
  • Smoke - Ah, smoke.  I understand the intent, but this mechanic has in many ways ruined the game.  Sure blowing smoke to hide ships from visual detection was a thing...but I don't think it was nearly this effective in practice.  Destroyers (and more recently some cruisers too...) have a smoke consumable that when activated creates a cloud of smoke around them that completely blocks them from being spotted unless you get extremely close or use radar or hydroacoustic search (which are very limited and only a few ships have them).  It is standard practice to then sit in your smoke cloud and spam HE shells at anybody in range.  Unfortunately many games degenerate into everybody else on the team joining the destroyer in its smoke cloud.  A couple years into the game and Wargaming still seems to have no clue how to balance this mechanic.
  • Nerfs to secondaries - I kind of mentioned in my intro that the secondary guns on a battleship would make mincemeat out of destroyers.  Even with all of the above mechanics that are mostly beneficial to destroyers that's still a problem, so Wargaming also needed to nerf the heck out of secondary guns.  Even though many battleships mounted the same guns that cruisers and destroyers used as their main guns as secondaries and those same cruisers and destroyers are in the game, when those guns are secondaries they do less damage, have less range, and are much less accurate than when they're main guns.

For the record, I think some of this is perfectly fine.  I explained the intent, and you simply aren't going to have destroyers beating battleships if you made everything realistic because, frankly, that isn't realistic.  And I play destroyers myself so I'm not trying to bitch that they're OP or something.  But there are some unintended consequences.  Battleships are supposed to be the tankiest class, with thick armor and large HP pools.  But their large size and lack of maneuverability combined with damage over time mechanics that basically ignore armor and HP makes them sometimes feel like the most vulnerable class if you don't play them carefully.  And when you add in the fact that the battleship's worst adversary is often completely invisible to it--either because it's just staying out of detection range or it's hiding in a smoke cloud--it shouldn't come as a surprise that many battleship players seem to have no balls.  They'll never push and will ignore strategic objectives, instead preferring to hang around at the extreme range of their guns shooting only at other battleships (because they're easier to hit).

The fact of the matter is a battleship can still be pretty effective if it pushes because its guns can still wreck any cruisers that might be defending the objective, but it needs proper support from other ships and--dare I say it--actual teamwork.  Which is always going to be lacking when you play with randoms.

Anyway, I think I've written enough for now.  In part 2 of my WoWs discussion I think I'll get into how they monetize things...also known as, "What's a micropayment?  We do macropayments just as frequently!"