Author Topic: A Game Journal Reborn

Frostillicus

• View Profile
Re: A Game Journal Reborn
« Reply #7800 on: January 12, 2018, 12:03:06 PM »
- TES IV: Oblivion

I played Oblivion for the first time this past summer. I enjoyed my time completing the Thieves' Guild and Dark Brotherhood quest lines (the latter requires you to do much "darker" things than the DB quest line in Skyrim). After that, I did a bit of the main quest (to the point where the gates/portals start popping up everywhere). After completing a few of those, I got bored with the game almost immediately. Like you said: There's just too much sameness throughout it all. I would rather it be a smaller world, filled with more varied things.
"Movies are better than people. You don't have to smell who you're watching." ~ Baby Cakes

Der Jermeister

• Mission Accomplished
    • View Profile
« Reply #7801 on: January 12, 2018, 12:27:20 PM »
I tried the original Elder Scrolls and wasn't a fan. Don't care much for classic Western RPGs.

mecharobot

• Trombe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7802 on: January 12, 2018, 12:28:12 PM »
Trying to boost my ps3 completion rates to hopefully move on from the console someday, so I'm attempting Atelier Shallie again. The objectives of this game are so messed up and the motivation hasn't moved anywhere in 5 chapters. Combat is okay, alchemy is simplified but works, moe factor is still lacking. Might also try Resonance of Fate. Or I did already beat it, but seems the platinum is very doable on my file. Just some cleanup and a quick NG+ run should do it. I kind of regret being so jumpy on games in the past gen. I think it's part of the reason why I felt games didn't feel the same as when I tried to have max'd save files in the old days. Oh well...

Also finished Crash 2&3 gold relic runs (with a few platinums). I feel slightly accomplished, but the first game is the one with the truly hard ones. I think I'll get the Stormy Ascent DLC level and see if getting the relic there is more realistic than the bridge levels or Sunset Vista.

As for Oblivion, the world was certainly made a lot more boring than the lore descriptions and books in Morrowind made it out to be. Of course, the same thing happened with Skyrim and it will most likely also happen in the next game.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 12:35:58 PM by mecharobot »

Klyde Chroma

• LVL. 99 - Midnight Crusader
    • View Profile
« Reply #7803 on: January 15, 2018, 07:40:05 AM »
Mario Odyssey: BEAT IT!!

What can I say, Mario seldom ceases to disappoint but he really shined here. This was/is easily my favorite of the entire franchise.

That stated, what astounds me on a personal level as a gamer is this proved another entry in my "klyded top 10 games ever". A year ago that list would have almost entirely have been populated with titles quite old and I sit typing this now knowing full well Mario Odyssey, Nier Automata, FF XV and Horizon Zero Dawn all would make the cut.

By golly, I'm beginning to think this hobby is becoming more enjoyable as the years roll by. Just took the developers all these years to really knock em out of the park for me the way they did in the 16-32 bit era. In reflection now, I finally feel comfortable stating that post that era (moving into the 3rd dimension, realism and polygons) really did begin a loooong, awkward and UGLY leg of gaming history for me. I guess what I'm trying to say is this hobby really was not as fun or pretty looking as it was when I was a kid for some time but it sure is now (and then some).
I am more a battlefield than a Ninja.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7804 on: January 15, 2018, 12:53:43 PM »
^That's awesome to hear, Klyde. Hopefully I can play more of those games myself soon, and join in on the all the fun I hear I've been missing out on thanks to my "Year of the Multiplayer" stint I had last year. Granted, most of that was due to me not having a Nintendo Switch, and a PS4 that never seemed to have enough memory for me to play a variety of games.

So, I finally installed a new 2TB harddrive into my PS4! Had to use all my Xmas gift cards, but it was worth it! I started off this weekend by reinstalling all of my Fighting games (they're quicker to test and make sure I don't encounter any fatal errors right off the bat), and played them until my hands hurt. It felt so good! King of Fighters XIV, Tekken 7, Dead or Alive 5: Last Round, Street Fighter V...man, did I miss these!

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #7805 on: January 15, 2018, 01:05:20 PM »

That stated, what astounds me on a personal level as a gamer is this proved another entry in my "klyded top 10 games ever". A year ago that list would have almost entirely have been populated with titles quite old and I sit typing this now knowing full well Mario Odyssey, Nier Automata, FF XV and Horizon Zero Dawn all would make the cut.

By golly, I'm beginning to think this hobby is becoming more enjoyable as the years roll by.
Just took the developers all these years to really knock em out of the park for me the way they did in the 16-32 bit era. In reflection now, I finally feel comfortable stating that post that era (moving into the 3rd dimension, realism and polygons) really did begin a loooong, awkward and UGLY leg of gaming history for me. I guess what I'm trying to say is this hobby really was not as fun or pretty looking as it was when I was a kid for some time but it sure is now (and then some).

Sure there are a ton of things about to complain about in gaming. FPSs are eating themselves with pay to play. Which doesn't bother me really, FPSs suck (just a personal preference, if they are your thing then cool, but I'm right). Sports games are falling into this trap too, which kind of saddens me.   

We've been in a golden age of games and JPRGs in general for a few years now and sometimes it seems like oldz like myself don't want to believe it. There are good games in every genre that you enjoy that seem to coming out by the week.

And yet still we have WARGARBLLLLL WHERE MAH CHRONO TRIGGER and FF6?!?! crowd. News flash: they even remade your CT and FF6 like-games you always wanted. Its called I am Sestuna and Bravely Default. Oh and both those games are trash grindfests but I'm sure they'd be incredible where they belonged, in 1994. You are even getting your Secret of Mana. Oh and here comes a new Dragon Quest, whose archaic battle system and barebones story will probably bore you to tears by hr. 30.  RETRO JRPG MASTER RACE R U NOT ENTERTAINED?

My fav top 10-20 is now overrun with great games from 2014 to present day.

Finished Life is strange Before the Storm 9.5/10. Brilliant game (PLAY IT!), its another one that going to be in my top 20. I loved it even though I only played ep 1 of LoS a while ago. I somehow got the secret ending and wasn't even trying for it.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 01:07:23 PM by Rook »

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7806 on: January 15, 2018, 05:05:26 PM »
@Rook

Re: FPS Games - I think it's fairer to say that the EA's, Activision's, and Ubisoft's combined greed have swelled into a supermassive blackhole inside the industry. It's not just FPS games that have been hurt by recent lootbox and Pay2Win shinanegans, after all.

Plus, there's still good FPS games that have come out in the last 4 years or so, with the latest being Wolfenstein II.

RE: RPG talk - What?

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #7807 on: January 15, 2018, 06:13:21 PM »
@Rook

Re: FPS Games - I think it's fairer to say that the EA's, Activision's, and Ubisoft's combined greed have swelled into a supermassive blackhole inside the industry. It's not just FPS games that have been hurt by recent lootbox and Pay2Win shinanegans, after all.

Plus, there's still good FPS games that have come out in the last 4 years or so, with the latest being Wolfenstein II.

RE: RPG talk - What?

Yea its swelling into other games, thankfully it hasn't been the ones I've been playing....yet. As far as FPSs go I'm sure there are still good ones out there if that's your cup of tea. The ones that are more single player oriented haven't been hit hard with hardcore loot boxing. 

My point about RPG games is that right now especially in JPRGs the recent slate has been excellent. On sites like neogaf etal people constantly complain that JRPGs aren't what they used to be and yes for much of the PS3 era it was lousy, no one denies this.  However since then they've come roaring back and the scene is arguably as great as its ever been if they just give the new games a chance.

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7808 on: January 15, 2018, 11:48:12 PM »
And yet still we have WARGARBLLLLL WHERE MAH CHRONO TRIGGER and FF6?!?! crowd. News flash: they even remade your CT and FF6 like-games you always wanted. Its called I am Sestuna and Bravely Default. Oh and both those games are trash grindfests but I'm sure they'd be incredible where they belonged, in 1994.

Uh, you realize that neither Chrono Trigger nor FF6 required any grinding.  FF6 in particular was too easy if anything.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7809 on: January 16, 2018, 12:36:42 AM »
And yet still we have WARGARBLLLLL WHERE MAH CHRONO TRIGGER and FF6?!?! crowd. News flash: they even remade your CT and FF6 like-games you always wanted. Its called I am Sestuna and Bravely Default. Oh and both those games are trash grindfests but I'm sure they'd be incredible where they belonged, in 1994. You are even getting your Secret of Mana. Oh and here comes a new Dragon Quest, whose archaic battle system and barebones story will probably bore you to tears by hr. 30.  RETRO JRPG MASTER RACE R U NOT ENTERTAINED?

Calling you out on this. Bravely Default was a poor substitution (even before getting into the second half, or the original JP version) and I am Gundam! was pretty much a publisher funded College Student's Grad Project (littered with plagiarism, completely tonedeaf, had only one moderate hook to run into the ground, horribly unbalanced, and just shabby all around). Hence why Bravely Second is a game that most people only consider to have existed at one time, but isn't talked about much, and nobody listed Lost Spheda (I could be wrong, its been a while since I checked) in their Anticipated Games of 2018 Thread posts.

Besides, for every CT/FFVI fanboi still griping about the lack of sequels, you still have plenty of Suikoden fandom clamoring for a true Suki VI, or Level 5 fans wishing for lightning to strike the same place twice for Dark Cloud 3, or Shadow Hearts fans waiting for the IP to fall into someone else's hands.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7810 on: January 16, 2018, 09:09:56 AM »
finally found Lunar 1 and 2 complete for a reasonable price!

I let them go for nothing 10+ years ago and have had an itch to get back into them for the last month.

It's too bad going the Sega CD route is cost prohibitive because I've never played those versions.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 09:12:42 AM by Rucks »

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #7811 on: January 16, 2018, 10:17:47 AM »
^ I still have my OG Sega CD copies of those games. Only SCD games I kept, actually... I regret not keeping Popful Mail. 

I wish the Silver Star Story kept the darker vibes of the Sega CD version. I was disappointed with the increased cuteness, ...as well as the shittier music.
"Movies are better than people. You don't have to smell who you're watching." ~ Baby Cakes

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7812 on: January 16, 2018, 10:34:32 AM »
Unfortunately, I was 7 when it came out and I had to throw a shitfit to even get my parents to buy me a SNES.  Then by the time I was old enough to afford a Sega CD it was already too expensive.

I'm sure my experience is not unique.

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7813 on: January 16, 2018, 01:07:02 PM »
Unfortunately, I was 7 when it came out and I had to throw a shitfit to even get my parents to buy me a SNES.  Then by the time I was old enough to afford a Sega CD it was already too expensive.

I'm sure my experience is not unique.

I got a SegaCD about 15 years ago or so when I started collecting old videogames and picked up Lunar: The Silver Star shortly thereafter (what I still kick myself over to this day was at having a chance to purchase Shining Force CD from a used game shop like 12 years ago or something (for like 30$~40$ no less), but got distracted by the potential of getting one of those Valis games and ended up with neither; although I think as compensation, I went and grabbed Xenogears and Star Ocean: The Second Story and like two other games instead). Still no sign of Lunar: Eternal Blue though.

On a less :retrogames: note, I've been going back to FEWarriors. I'm almost at the point where I can finally unlock Celica and Lyn (and Male Corrin I guess).
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7814 on: January 16, 2018, 02:13:35 PM »
Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition!!!

...is a 15 GB update and I turned my PS4 completely off last night. So I'll have to wait until late to play it. Gotta focus on chores, anyways, since this is the first second-hand-smoke-free day I've had since I moved into my current apartment.

But, I did wind up playing some Paragon instead after lunch. I dunno if I dropped into the Shit tier or whatever, but our Jungler quit 2 minutes into the match, so our team was at a constant disadvantage of 4v5 the entire match.

Yet we killed it. A lot of great teamwork all around vs their nonexistant teamwork, we didn't lose even one inhibitor, while the enemy lost two in a row, and were frequently losing at least 3 members by the midgame portion of the match. I mean, they clearly didn't know what they were doing, so I shouldn't be too proud, but it's just cool to see how much more important having good teamwork is in this game, versus just being really powerful and assaulting anyone that gets in your way. Without our jungler, however, we couldn't contest the jungle buffs and bosses, but even without those, we still won. Feels good!

...I still reported that guy for leaving so quickly into the match, though. He had plenty of time to rejoin if it was just a crash issue. Jerk...

I Draw Stuff Sometimes