Author Topic: A Game Journal Reborn

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
Re: A Game Journal Reborn
« Reply #7890 on: February 28, 2018, 08:36:07 PM »
Let no one say that you don't live up to your forum moniker, Arvis. ...Although at this point, "Erotophobe" may be more accurate.  ;)

Ha ha!  Very true. :P
I always appreciate your accepting me, Frosty, even though we see many things so differently.

Although I know my feelings are more extreme than others, I do feel like being repulsed at the sexualization of minors, even in fiction, is less about being a prude and more about being decent.  But my prudishness definitely plays a big part, for sure.

I should also say I do really enjoy sex, but I hate when humans are reduced to sex objects.  I think I'm allowed to feel both.  So someone like Angelica, who reduces herself and everyone else around her into nothing more than things meant to be used for pleasure, really gets down to the very nature of what I hate about oversexualization in media.

This just in. Teenagers are horny. News at 11.

But no seriously, 19 yrs old is plenty old enough to be thinking of sowing wild oats. Its when you start talking about 12 to 14 yr olds that the problems start to arise (15 & 16 yr olds are plenty capable of thinking about sex and even acting upon it among peers, they shouldn't because they're still dumb horny teens, but they are capable). The other problem is more with modern society making it damn near impossible to start a family at an early age while still being able to provide even a mediocre standard of living, which further skews the general perception of age of consent (that, and the fact that the US was founded by a bunch of puritans searching for the religious freedom to discriminate by their own preferences).
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #7891 on: March 01, 2018, 09:32:07 AM »
Arvis if it makes you feel better, I don't like Angelica either.

Her interest in Fie is pretty fleeting but still gross, but I also hate the fact she's yet another bisexual character portrayed as a sexually promiscuous deviant.

Penguin Boss Demands You Join Our Discord!

CLICK HERE TO BE TAKEN TO THE RPGFAN DISCORD

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #7892 on: March 01, 2018, 09:45:11 AM »
I also hate the fact she's yet another bisexual character portrayed as a sexually promiscuous deviant.

If you are attracted to twice the amount of people, then you are obviously twice as lecherous. Duh.

EDIT: I meant for this to sound sarcastic. Not sure if that came across correctly.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 06:08:13 PM by Frostillicus »
"Movies are better than people. You don't have to smell who you're watching." ~ Baby Cakes

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7893 on: March 01, 2018, 09:48:05 AM »
she's yet another bisexual character portrayed as a sexually promiscuous deviant.

So much this.  People outside the heteronormative orientation are still people with myriad interests and feelings outside of sex, just like anyone else. 

And yes, I understand that a lot of people IRL, in any orientation, do make their sexuality their only defining attribute, but it's extremely off-putting when they do and I really hate it when that kind of thing is played for a laugh or treated casually in fiction.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #7894 on: March 01, 2018, 08:43:04 PM »
This just in. Teenagers are horny. News at 11.

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7lj9qI8VFc if somehow you don't know where that's from)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 08:44:55 PM by Annubis »

eXaX

• View Profile
« Reply #7895 on: March 02, 2018, 02:05:48 AM »
Call of Duty - Motherfucking All of them [PC/PS4] - MW1, MW2, MW3, WW2, IW, AW. What is wrong with me ?!? *despair*
(The Modern ones anyway).

Dead Space 1/2 [PC] - Still brilliant. Still two of my favorite games of all time. Amazing hard-sci fi series. And the animation/weight of Isaac and his movements just feels so damn good. Wish DS3 hadn't been as ultra-action-focused as it was and maybe the devs might still be here.

Nobunaga's Ambition - Sphere of Influence Ascension [PS4] - Playing a deep strategy game with a controller is surprisingly not bad. So for those unfamiliar, you play as an individual trying to take over Japan during the Sengoku Jidai (Warring States period). Que base-building, army-building, politics and war. I'm still learning how the game works but so far, I'm having a lot of fun.

SMT Strange Journey [DS] - Honestly, started playing this because someone said that it's the closest thing to SMT Nocturne since ... you know ... SMT: Nocturne. If I had a PS2 I would play it but currently I can't. I just killed the first real boss (Minotaur boss). To be honest, I had already played up until the Shopping Mall a couple of years ago but stopped playing for whatever reason. Hopefully I will finish it this time. Also, Atlus remaster/remake SMT : Nocturne ffs!

About your current topic, this idea of having an older girl being openly promiscuous (or hinting at it) to younger characters is nothing new. This is almost a cliché, generally used to indicate s/he's sexually active whereas the younger characters are not (generally anyway).

So my question is: Why does that bother you Arvis/Starmongoose? Because it paints a bad picture of bisexuals? To me, that just reflects how poorly you two think of other people's intelligence. No one is going to look at her and think: "Ohh she's like that because she's bisexual!". So anyway, I would like to hear why this bothers you two.

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #7896 on: March 03, 2018, 08:34:27 AM »
^ Love the first two Dead Space games. Survival horror excellence.

Suikoden 2  - Just got to Two River, where it would seem some little butthole of a ragamuffin just pick-pocketed me upon my arrival. Great.
I'm still wondering what a 'toasty bath' is...
I want to bomb the whole town of South Window, I'm so mad at that asshole slacker sailor and his rigged-ass dice game. I ended up hiring Amada or Adama or whatever the heck his name is to captain my boat instead.
"Movies are better than people. You don't have to smell who you're watching." ~ Baby Cakes

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7897 on: March 06, 2018, 09:38:31 AM »
In the Nord Highlands in Cold Steel.

I'm having a heck of a time getting money in this game.  And U-Material for upgrading weapons?  Forget about it.  Definitely feeling like I need to stop and grind now.

Also, I changed Rean's MQ to "Scepter" because lol.  That's what he gets for dying TWICE.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7898 on: March 09, 2018, 01:07:46 PM »
I have been playing Alundra on my Vita a half hour at a time (on my lunch) for a month and am not even halfway through.  It's a good thing it's not terrible and the puzzles are engaging or I would've moved on by now.

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7899 on: March 10, 2018, 03:45:30 PM »

I'm having a heck of a time getting money in this game.  And U-Material for upgrading weapons?  Forget about it.  Definitely feeling like I need to stop and grind now.

You really don't need all the weapon upgrades.  In fact I feel like they're kind of a waste since they'll immediately be surpassed by a new weapon (which you can also upgrade...).  Meanwhile U-material is actually much more useful being spent on things like special quartz upgrades that you'll actually benefit from for a much longer period of time.

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #7900 on: March 11, 2018, 11:08:49 PM »

Also, I changed Rean's MQ to "Scepter" because lol.  That's what he gets for dying TWICE.

You get a fair bit of u-material late in the game.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7901 on: March 13, 2018, 12:57:51 AM »
Taking a break from Tales of Berseria to go back to FEW again and finally pick up Celica. Goddamn, they aren't kidding when they say that the Mercenary moveset is the best in the game. On a stage where you have to stop three rendezvous, halt two siege Sages, bust up 3 captains and their shadows, track down 5 clones of the boss, beat the boss himself twice, then use whatever time's left to fell a dragon with four life bars; watching Lyn absolutely shred said dragon's life bars to nothing in under a minute flat to eek out an S-rank couldn't be more satisfying (and I still have to get Astra onto her). At this point, all I have left to do for the pre-DLC stuffs is a second run on the Celica recruit mission, most of Story Mode on Lunatic difficulty, and the Spacial Distortions and Anna History Mode battles.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7902 on: March 13, 2018, 12:15:44 PM »

You really don't need all the weapon upgrades.  In fact I feel like they're kind of a waste since they'll immediately be surpassed by a new weapon (which you can also upgrade...).  Meanwhile U-material is actually much more useful being spent on things like special quartz upgrades that you'll actually benefit from for a much longer period of time.

Yeah, but I want the best!  Plus, some of the upgrades work well for my builds (EVA/SPD boosts, etc) as well as being really helpful for my mages.

It helps that I'm getting U-Mats from boxes/urns and stuff now.

Also, the grinding didn't take long at all.  Maybe an hour at the most?  Got plenty of U-Mats, and then got MORE besides as I continued the chapter.

Still didn't have enough to upgrade everyone's weapons in the next chapter, though.  But I'm close.  I am currently...
Spoiler: show
exploring Heimdallr where Laura and Fie are having a heck of a time forming a combat link.  Rean's solution after fighting the monster in the tunnel is genius.  I love the writing in this game.

Trails in the Sky cameo watch: Holy crap, Lechler showed up to pick up Obligatory Disgusting Lolicon Millium!  I about jumped out of my seat when he showed up.  Also, Olivier's VA is the same as Alvin's from Xillia 1 & 2, which was odd for me since I just finished that.

Lastly, when Rean went Super Saiyan I literally laughed out loud.  That was dumb as heck, but also still cool.  I guess I wish they hadn't done the hair color change.

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #7903 on: March 19, 2018, 09:30:58 AM »
Suikoden 2 - Just finished up the whole undercover school students part of the game, which is accurate in its depiction of how boring things involving school are. Joking aside, I'm still very much enjoying the game. To be fair, there is a bit of back tracking here and there, but it rarely feels tedious (thankfully, easy fights go very quick). Some of the music is rather "meh", also. More inventory space would be nice... Those really are small gripes, though. Otherwise, great game. Highly recommended.
I'm not being anal about gathering characters, but I'm trying to be thorough in my examination of areas and people. For example, I recruited Anita (whom I've kept in my battle party for some time now) by talking to her 20-ish times until she asked me for some sort of medicine that I happened to have on me. I didn't know to do that. She just happened to be at an inn I frequented during a certain part of the game, and I'd talk to her every time I stopped by.

Driver: San Francisco - Re-playing this, which I initially played back when it was new (7 years ago already!). The story is a joke, and a lot of the aspects of the game are straight up ridiculous, but who really cares about that? It's a hell of a blast to play. It's one of my favorite driving games, period. Love that it combines the feel of a simulator and arcade racer, while keeping a bit of the spirit of the original games. Also helps that it features several of my favorite cars of all time. There really needs to be a proper sequel to this game.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7904 on: March 20, 2018, 10:16:38 AM »
Trails of Cold Steel

I wonder if my wife will be opposed to me marrying this game?

I've explored the schoolhouse down to the 5th level and fought the Freeze You Constantly Dragon.  Gave me my first party wipe.  Went back in and changed nothing but my strategy and won with only the loss of Gaius.  Poor Gaius, I was really enjoying having him as my #1.  With his 4 ARCUS lines he was incredibly effective at putting all kinds of fun status effects on enemies.  But to the bench he goes, leaving Alisa as my new #1.  I've changed Gaius' master quartz from Falco to Raven to give him more speed and really focus on getting those debuffs out quickly.  However, that will definitely impact his Evasion.  I honestly haven't been using Insight the way I probably should.  Heck, even the Freeze You Constantly Dragon was wasting turn after turn going after Gaius on my second attempt, and I wasn't even thinking about the EVA boost Insight gives as being the reason Gaius was dodging so well.  I'm bad at this game.

My current Alisa build is ATS/HP based.  I'm wondering if I should try to make her more of a healer, though?  She's still using her Angel MQ, which is why I am focusing on her HP.  But for healing she only has Teara and Thelas, for now.  Wondering if I should try giving her Holy Breath or something to go with it.  She has plenty of great offensive Arts, though.  With her Red/Red/Gold quartz requirements it makes diversifying her a bit difficult.  Any advice?

Also, I've got two new characters:
Crow and Millium

For the guy, complete with his default MQ, I'm going for a SPD/ATK build.  For the girl, with her default MQ, I went all DEF, which just felt obvious.  Wondering if I should take a different approach to either of these?  Any suggestions are appreciated!

EDIT:
Whoops, I forgot, I had burgeoning Rean Waifu thoughts...
So it's really weird how Rean is openly attracted to other female students, but not the ones from Class VII.  Alisa seems like his canon (future) GF, as she clearly has the hots for him.  Other Class VII girls will have their hearts flutter if he does something heroic/kind.  But Rean doesn't say or think anything (iirc) up to my point in the game that suggests he's at all romantically affected by them.  However, even without doing any of her bonding events, Rean has expressed (in thought) an attraction toward Towa at least once, maybe more, just in the course of missions/events.  I finally did do a bonding event with her and it was oddly romantic, whereas my bonding events with Alisa have not really been.  In addition, I did a "hidden" quest this morning that resulted in Rean walking the lovely and pious Rosine back to church in the rain, sharing an umbrella.  During that sequence, he thought about how cute and attractive she was, multiple times.  This strikes me as odd.  Since a small mechanic of the game is the cringey Waifu Simulation, I really would have expected Rean to be constantly waffling between his classmates, but instead his interest seems directed anywhere but.

Am I imagining this?  Or are the writers doing this on purpose to avoid giving any early impression of where Rean's "canon" interests lie?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 10:43:01 AM by Arvis »