Author Topic: A Game Journal Reborn

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
Re: A Game Journal Reborn
« Reply #7920 on: March 26, 2018, 10:25:13 PM »
A bow to your memeatude, Arvis. :D

Even though he missed 'A Certain Lecherous Teleporter'.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7921 on: March 27, 2018, 09:47:14 AM »
A bow to your memeatude, Arvis. :D

Even though he missed 'A Certain Lecherous Teleporter'.

3 is a funnier number, though.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #7922 on: March 30, 2018, 04:16:35 AM »
It says alot about Juke-Box Heroes (♪Got Rupees in their eyes!♪) that I got so bored with the main campaign that I basically bumrushed the Den of Trials instead.

On the other hand, I liked the remixed tracks for the fight on Floor 39 and the subsequent victory jingle and the reward is nice too.

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #7923 on: March 30, 2018, 10:13:00 AM »
Regarding certain crazy bad guy from Suikoden Zwei, I beat him after grinding a bunch of characters and equipping them with the best armor at the time. Fitting magic users in each party with the water rune also played a huge role.

So anyway, as far as updates to the Suikoden 2 journal go, I met and kicked Sierra's overconfident ass. I then took out Necrolord, who was surprisingly much easier than the Stone Golem minion that preceded him. The mine you have to pass through to get to them is crap, though. Maze dungeon because maze! I personally can't stand maze dungeons. Still..., the mine wasn't terrible. Just annoying. Anyway, now getting ready to head back to home base.
My battle party mainstays during this part of the game have been Oulan; Gadget; the magical slut Rina; and of course the hero and Nanami. The 6th space is just random peeps at this point. For the record, I like Nanami as a character, but it kind of irks me that she is forced to go with you a lot of the time. Plot-wise, it makes total sense, but she is unremarkable in battle (though the one of the possible animations for the siblings' Unite attack is quite amusing). Unless she has some hidden potential I haven't yet figured out, she basically just takes up space in the battle party.
There are so many recruit-able people I have met that give little or no indication as to how to recruit them. Iím sure there are plenty I donít even know exist at this point. I REALLY want to go back at this game with a guide after I finish this first ever play through... I have so many other games in the ol' back log, but I know if I don't replay this now, I may never do so.
"Movies are better than people. You don't have to smell who you're watching." ~ Baby Cakes

Klyde Chroma

• LVL. 99 - Midnight Crusader
    • View Profile
« Reply #7924 on: March 30, 2018, 12:46:31 PM »

There are so many recruit-able people I have met that give little or no indication as to how to recruit them. Iím sure there are plenty I donít even know exist at this point. I REALLY want to go back at this game with a guide after I finish this first ever play through... I have so many other games in the ol' back log, but I know if I don't replay this now, I may never do so.

I seem to recall meeting tons of characters and FEELING like I was overlooking/missing recruits only to discover I couldn't get them yet. The means to acquire most the characters became obvious enough to have gotten 108 stars without a guide and but a few hints from Aeolus here a few years back.

That said, there were a select few that I remember I would NOT have gotten without a hint or two.

The takeaway? Play without too much apprehension in terms of missables and ask Aeolus for his glorious hints to avoid guide-work! LoL
I am more a battlefield than a Ninja.

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #7925 on: March 30, 2018, 01:54:02 PM »
@Frostillicus Nanami's hidden potential is that she's very fast and equipped with the Spark rune basically makes your entire team go first every time, making slower characters much better. You can also throw a Balance rune on her, making her Unite with the MC spammable without her ever losing a turn. You can also throw a Water rune on her to make sure she heals the people who need healing before the enemy hits them. She's not OP but she does have her uses.

Penguin Boss Demands You Join Our Discord!

CLICK HERE TO BE TAKEN TO THE RPGFAN DISCORD

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7926 on: March 30, 2018, 03:27:02 PM »
a few hints from Aeolus

Truly the human incarnation of RPG Wiki
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #7927 on: March 30, 2018, 06:03:05 PM »
@Frostillicus Nanami's hidden potential is that she's very fast and equipped with the Spark rune basically makes your entire team go first every time, making slower characters much better. You can also throw a Balance rune on her, making her Unite with the MC spammable without her ever losing a turn. You can also throw a Water rune on her to make sure she heals the people who need healing before the enemy hits them. She's not OP but she does have her uses.

I went and slapped a Double Blow and Fury rune onto her since I got lucky with those dropping early on. Once she got going, most random encounters basically consisted of me hitting Auto and watching her smack everything to death before anyone short of speed demons like Stallion could act.

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #7928 on: March 30, 2018, 09:35:23 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys. It's true Nanami has good speed, which I have taken advantage of when it comes to healing, as Star mentioned.

@Klyde Chroma I seriously just now recruited a bunch of people (Maximillion; Killey; Gantetsu; Hoi; Templeton)  just by revisiting old towns, before returning home with Sierra. Thanks for the notion.
"Movies are better than people. You don't have to smell who you're watching." ~ Baby Cakes

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #7929 on: March 30, 2018, 10:11:14 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys. It's true Nanami has good speed, which I have taken advantage of when it comes to healing, as Star mentioned.

@Klyde Chroma I seriously just now recruited a bunch of people (Maximillion; Killey; Gantetsu; Hoi; Templeton)  just by revisiting old towns, before returning home with Sierra. Thanks for the notion.

How close are you to having 108 Stars?

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #7930 on: March 31, 2018, 09:18:52 AM »

I didn't know if there was any other way to tell other than manually counting with Luc... Fun. I currently have 81 peeps on my crew, so..., still missing quite a bunch. I noticed the castle got bigger with the last batch, though.
I actually got a little mad at the game last night, because it froze while on the victory screen after I beat Lucia in the Greenhill woods... and she was no walk in the park.
I decided to take the opportunity to really scour around for other characters before heading back in, and I got a few more (ending up with 81). Notably Wakaba, who has pretty sweet stats.

EDIT: Honestly, the only thing that annoys me about missing that many people, is that I've only found two merchants (besides the inn/item shop) for my castle. So many unopened stores... Looks terrible. =P
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 09:56:41 AM by Frostillicus »

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #7931 on: March 31, 2018, 03:36:29 PM »

I didn't know if there was any other way to tell other than manually counting with Luc... Fun. I currently have 81 peeps on my crew, so..., still missing quite a bunch. I noticed the castle got bigger with the last batch, though.
I actually got a little mad at the game last night, because it froze while on the victory screen after I beat Lucia in the Greenhill woods... and she was no walk in the park.
I decided to take the opportunity to really scour around for other characters before heading back in, and I got a few more (ending up with 81). Notably Wakaba, who has pretty sweet stats.

EDIT: Honestly, the only thing that annoys me about missing that many people, is that I've only found two merchants (besides the inn/item shop) for my castle. So many unopened stores... Looks terrible. =P

Some spoilers to help you with your shops.

Spoiler: show
There's an Armorer at the inn in Two River (hopefully you asked him for money, because at this point, he should have it; that said, if you haven't asked him for money yet, for the love of god, don't). Also talk to Jeane (i.e. the Rune Shop lady in Two River) already. You're going to need a Celadon Urn (you can get one from the Rope Climbing game if nothing else) for the Appraiser in Radat. You're going to want to trade like a motherfucker (i.e. make 50,000 in profit; my suggestion is to collect and sell a couple of Celadon Urns at a good price at Gregminster; Ancient Texts are also worth a shitload if you do it right) to get the Trader at Gregminster. Talk to the directionless airhead in Tinto once you have Jeane to get yourself a Scrollmaster. And the Blacksmith will happen after the next plot point provided you get your hands on some Clay.

That said, you're kinda behind on your recruits by this point. Do you at least have Clive?

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #7932 on: April 01, 2018, 07:46:36 AM »
^ I do have Clive. Got him a while back. Never again came across the lady he was tracking after he joined up though...
Thank you for the tips, sir. I do feel a bit behind. The armorer and Jeanne are the two merchants I do have.
Anyway, update-wise, right now I'm handling the flag business at Rockaxe.

EDIT: OK, now I feel kinda bad picking on Nanami.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 08:35:54 AM by Frostillicus »

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #7933 on: April 01, 2018, 12:58:38 PM »
EDIT: OK, now I feel kinda bad picking on Nanami.

Might I recommend at this point, that if you still haven't used either Listening Crystal (you get two from recruiting Badeaux) yet, to use them to recruit the two Octopi and their son. You can find both Adults at the watery area at the bottom of Tinto's Mine (just exit and reenter if all else fails) and their son shows up at the docks at the back of your base if you have both of his parents.

Spoiler: show
Yes, the female Squid and the baby Octopus doesn't count to the 108 star total, and in fact even prevents two other SoDs from being recruited, but that doesn't matter anymore, and you wouldn't be able to recruit them during a successful 108 SoD run, so why the hell not?

The Clive thing was just about the fact that he's surprisingly easy to miss since people who've played the game tend to forget to meet with Elza during their first visit to Muse. The rest of Elza's quest is infamous due to the whole 'racing against the ingame clock' mechanic (since you need to reach the endgame before the 20 hour mark, which is doable, even while gunning for the 108 SoD ending, but it also requires reaching various other checkpoints throughout the game by their own time limits).

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #7934 on: April 01, 2018, 01:49:47 PM »
^ Now I don't feel so bad about never seeing Eliza again.

I ended up going for the home stretch after looking around towns one more time (got P. F. Chang or whatever his name is, who I used for the final battle) .
I love the game, but I kind of wanted it to end at this point. Anyway, the final dungeon was easy enough, but I had to take on the Beast Rune guy a second time to get 'er dun.
Great game.