Author Topic: A Game Journal Reborn

Klyde Chroma

• LVL. 99 - Midnight Crusader
    • View Profile
Re: A Game Journal Reborn
« Reply #8010 on: June 14, 2018, 12:32:26 PM »
So after trying a ton of titles out I finally arrived at the conclusion that I've become too spoiled by games in the last 2 years and it has drastically altered what I enjoy.

Not that evolving ones tastes is a bad thing per se' but it disgusts me in some senses. A) I don't think I will EVER play a ton of titles I purchased digitally during sales that I was SURE I was gonna want and B) Lower budget JRPG's have seriously lost all charm for me (this is the part that really makes me sort of hate myself a bit).

But on the plus, I put quite a bit of time into FFXV again recently. Did all the episodes, started comrades, completed Pitioss (WTF????) and stumbled into achieving the Platinum Trophy (second ever for me). I could actually keep playing this now as there is still quite a bit of content I want to see but I think I'm laying it to rest for a moment as it catches me up for all the "Season 2" stuff.
I am more a battlefield than a Ninja.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8011 on: June 16, 2018, 09:56:11 PM »
Octopath Demo: Kinda amusing that the game doesn't immediately boot you out at the 3 hour mark considering that I ran afoul of the time limit just prior to fighting the boss of the scenario I was on (but yeah, I was just about to leave town and finish my Therion's intro quest, and this was after starting with Ophilla and following up with H'anaat).

Lufia 2: Just about done hanging out with Lexis and getting my final party together at last.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Klyde Chroma

• LVL. 99 - Midnight Crusader
    • View Profile
« Reply #8012 on: Today at 09:01:35 AM »
Octopath Demo: Kinda amusing that the game doesn't immediately boot you out at the 3 hour mark considering that I ran afoul of the time limit just prior to fighting the boss of the scenario I was on (but yeah, I was just about to leave town and finish my Therion's intro quest, and this was after starting with Ophilla and following up with H'anaat).

Lufia 2: Just about done hanging out with Lexis and getting my final party together at last.

I swear you have the uncanny knack for playing EXACTLY what I want to be, but just can't seem to get into at present for the life of me. By extension, your posts make me happy because if I'm not actually playing at least I can come to the journal and get your commentary :-D

I really swore Octopath would have been a day 1 purchase for me but I'm still too engaged/distracted by other titles.

------

Rise of the Tomb Raider : Really surprised I didn't see/missed more praise for this one's design and execution. I'm gonna blame poor release window and exclusivity for that. I mean it DID come out as an Xbox exclusive around the same time as Fallout 4 if I recall.

I'm not claiming the game doesn't have some problems, and environments ARE a bit ugly. This can be, and is, all forgiven in wake of scripted action sequences and great puzzle design. Surprisingly enough too, the vertical-ity of stage design is done well enough to remind me of my time with HZD earlier this year which is saying something. I am only roughly 10 hours in though, so I don't want to sing it's praise too highly just yet.

X-CoM 2 : Surprised they were able to make ye' ol' familiar X-Com while departing the title so much from it's predecessors and trying some new things. Not much time spent yet but I'm loving it so far and have not discovered any of the circulating complaints to be troublesome for me (time restrictions, unfair, et cetera...). I am playing on PS4 without War of the Chosen because supposedly it is still a glitchy mess and I'm NOT risking data loss and that brand of trouble with the title considering I like to play X-Com without save scumming to really embrace the brutality of the game mechanics. This sort of sucks because I did already purchase WotC on sale but it seems silly to have a bad time with the game based on principal.

I am more a battlefield than a Ninja.