Author Topic: A Game Journal Reborn

Klyde Chroma

• LVL. 99 - Midnight Crusader
    • View Profile
Re: A Game Journal Reborn
« Reply #8010 on: June 14, 2018, 12:32:26 PM »
So after trying a ton of titles out I finally arrived at the conclusion that I've become too spoiled by games in the last 2 years and it has drastically altered what I enjoy.

Not that evolving ones tastes is a bad thing per se' but it disgusts me in some senses. A) I don't think I will EVER play a ton of titles I purchased digitally during sales that I was SURE I was gonna want and B) Lower budget JRPG's have seriously lost all charm for me (this is the part that really makes me sort of hate myself a bit).

But on the plus, I put quite a bit of time into FFXV again recently. Did all the episodes, started comrades, completed Pitioss (WTF????) and stumbled into achieving the Platinum Trophy (second ever for me). I could actually keep playing this now as there is still quite a bit of content I want to see but I think I'm laying it to rest for a moment as it catches me up for all the "Season 2" stuff.
I am more a battlefield than a Ninja.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8011 on: June 16, 2018, 09:56:11 PM »
Octopath Demo: Kinda amusing that the game doesn't immediately boot you out at the 3 hour mark considering that I ran afoul of the time limit just prior to fighting the boss of the scenario I was on (but yeah, I was just about to leave town and finish my Therion's intro quest, and this was after starting with Ophilla and following up with H'anaat).

Lufia 2: Just about done hanging out with Lexis and getting my final party together at last.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Klyde Chroma

• LVL. 99 - Midnight Crusader
    • View Profile
« Reply #8012 on: June 18, 2018, 09:01:35 AM »
Octopath Demo: Kinda amusing that the game doesn't immediately boot you out at the 3 hour mark considering that I ran afoul of the time limit just prior to fighting the boss of the scenario I was on (but yeah, I was just about to leave town and finish my Therion's intro quest, and this was after starting with Ophilla and following up with H'anaat).

Lufia 2: Just about done hanging out with Lexis and getting my final party together at last.

I swear you have the uncanny knack for playing EXACTLY what I want to be, but just can't seem to get into at present for the life of me. By extension, your posts make me happy because if I'm not actually playing at least I can come to the journal and get your commentary :-D

I really swore Octopath would have been a day 1 purchase for me but I'm still too engaged/distracted by other titles.

------

Rise of the Tomb Raider : Really surprised I didn't see/missed more praise for this one's design and execution. I'm gonna blame poor release window and exclusivity for that. I mean it DID come out as an Xbox exclusive around the same time as Fallout 4 if I recall.

I'm not claiming the game doesn't have some problems, and environments ARE a bit ugly. This can be, and is, all forgiven in wake of scripted action sequences and great puzzle design. Surprisingly enough too, the vertical-ity of stage design is done well enough to remind me of my time with HZD earlier this year which is saying something. I am only roughly 10 hours in though, so I don't want to sing it's praise too highly just yet.

X-CoM 2 : Surprised they were able to make ye' ol' familiar X-Com while departing the title so much from it's predecessors and trying some new things. Not much time spent yet but I'm loving it so far and have not discovered any of the circulating complaints to be troublesome for me (time restrictions, unfair, et cetera...). I am playing on PS4 without War of the Chosen because supposedly it is still a glitchy mess and I'm NOT risking data loss and that brand of trouble with the title considering I like to play X-Com without save scumming to really embrace the brutality of the game mechanics. This sort of sucks because I did already purchase WotC on sale but it seems silly to have a bad time with the game based on principal.

I am more a battlefield than a Ninja.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8013 on: June 18, 2018, 03:40:22 PM »
Trails of Cold Steel 2

Everything is coming along swimmingly.  I back into my usual Triple Advantage every battle, never get hit, enemy never gets a turn pattern that I enjoy so much.  I just got to the Nord Highlands and my current party is
Spoiler: show
Rean of course, Elliott, Machias, and Claire.  Not even using Fie!  Take that, RPG Fan Common Sense!

and even for "large" monsters and chest monsters (*snickers*) this party is so well equipped that I still win without the enemy getting more than a turn or two.  My last party member I mentioned above has that Craft called "Flawless Leadership" that seems pretty ridiculously great.  My last chest monster started with her doing that move, and then another party member using "Burst Drive", and I got a bunch of turns in a row and obliterated everything.  I didn't even remember Overdrive (a new mechanic I have been enjoying quite a lot).

This may sound boring and easy to some of you, but I enjoy this immensely.  Plus it isn't like I am not trying.  I spend a lot of time on character builds to try and be as dominant as possible, so to see it working is very satisfying.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Jimmy

• Wakens the Ferine Strain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8014 on: June 20, 2018, 01:39:11 PM »
I played a bit of Bravely Second over the weekend. I finally left Florem to go to Sagitta Village. While in the woods leading to the village Yew reached level 7 as Black Mage, Magnolia reached level 7 as Hawkeye, and Tiz reached level 7 as Bishop. I switched Yew back to Summoner to get that up to level 7, and Magnolia back to Red Mage to get that to level 7 because Revenge. I switched Tiz back to Astrologian to get that up to level 7. I'm going to have him focus on Bishop and Astrologian for the time being as he's my primary healer. At some point I'll move him back to Red Mage because Revenge. Edea is currently a Knight, and once she gets that up to level 7 I'll likely switch her back to Fencer or Hawkeye. I'll eventually need to swap her to Red Mage to get Revenge and other BP+ skills as I'm planning on taking her the Valkyrie/Templar route like I did in the first game.

Don't have much time to play again this week, so my sole denizen of the village is continuing work on reclaiming the damaged areas while the 3DS is in sleep mode. He should be finished with the last reclamation project by Friday morning. My wife and I will be traveling next week, so I'll be taking the 3DS with me to see if I can find him some friends.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 01:41:01 PM by Jimmy »

Jimmy

• View Profile
« Reply #8015 on: June 25, 2018, 02:39:16 PM »
More Bravely Second!

I finished up the stuff in Sagitta Village and just finished the two boss battles in the Water Temple. I knew that the Kaiser must have some way to control Agnes though we still don't know how he's doing it. All the crystals are going nuts now, and I'm looking forward to seeing where the story goes from here.

Job wise I currently have Yew back as a Summoner to bring that up to Level 8. After that I'll switch him to Exorcist to at least get that MP Recover skill, and go from there.

Magnolia reached level 7 Hawkeye, and not having any other jobs I currently want her to perform I switched her to Freelancer, and I've just left her like that for a while. She's getting close to level 9 Freelancer thanks to the JP+ skill. I may go ahead and take her all the way to level 10 and then go back to her other jobs.

I got Edea all Red-Maged to Revenge and then swapped her to Valkyrie. Even though it isn't called Dragoon any more, it is still up there as my favorite FF/BD job (Jump has saved my ass more times than I can count in a number of different games). I'm just going to leave her here for now.

I abandoned Astrologian with Tiz because of my recently acquired Exorcist job. It's incredibly useful. Not only does it have the MP Recover skill, but the battle commands are great. I used all that I have currently (Undo HP, Undo Action, and Purgation) in the Water Temple boss battles. And MP Recover made it so that I didn't have to worry about Tiz's MP while healing at all, and I was even able to share my MP with Yew without any problems whatsoever. I'm not deep into the job yet, but I think it's already my favorite of the new jobs available in this game. I'm going to leave Tiz here for now.

Jimmy

• View Profile
« Reply #8016 on: June 26, 2018, 04:57:57 PM »
And even more BS! (Heehee.)

I've made it to the Skyhold, fought Rev, got the Guardian asterisk, fought Janne, and am now at the save point in the second part of the dungeon. According to the game, I'm over-leveled for this area, but the enemies here are pretty powerful, so I'm having to stay on my toes. Before I go to what I assume may be a fight with the Kaiser, I'm going to see if it will allow me to explore the other side of the dungeon.

Prior to that I did the sidequest at Grand Ship. The decision wasn't as tough as some of the other side quests because I really wanted Dark Knight. Not going to lie, I may have thrown some impoverished orphans under the bus to get it, but things appear to have worked out for them. Though part of me is now wishing I had gone with the Time Mage because I'm encountering enemies that use Stop in the Skyhold. Ah well.

Jobs:

Yew made it to level 8 as a Summoner. I was going to swap him to Exorcist to get MP Recover, but found that the enemies in the Skyhold are doing enough damage per turn that Convert MP is covering him just fine, so I went back to Black Mage to get that to level 8. After the Skyhold I may move him to Exorcist, but for now everything is working out.

I got Magnolia to level 9 Freelancer, but decided to hold off getting her to level 10 for the time being because Dark Knight. I swapped her to Knight briefly just to get Two-Handed, and then made her a Dark Knight. I may need to look at my setup in BD to see how I was using the Dark Knight because I was using them very effectively before and I don't remember how. For now I'm going to get her to level 8, and then swap to something else. Probably Guardian because that looked interesting.

Edea made it to level 8 as a Valkyrie and this gave her Spear Lore. I decided this would be a good time to switch her to Freelancer at least long enough to get JP+. She's only at level 6, so I have a ways to go.

Tiz is still an Exorcist. Still a very useful job. Leaving him here until level 8 at least.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8017 on: June 26, 2018, 05:11:10 PM »
Trails of Cold Steel 2

Not sure what I would have done if someone in the Discord hadn't pointed me toward the FAQ for this that had a bunch of strategies and character build ideas, because some of these request/chest monsters I've gone against were ridiculous and I'm not sure what I would have done without the formations I learned from the FAQ.  Especially the massive ape monster outside Legram.  That thing not only got turns constantly, but could do AoE uber attacks that put Faint on everyone, and also heal itself at a faster rate than I could damage it.  I had to cheap out with Arc Slash/Heavenly Gift spamming, as well as baiting it with Millium.  Took frickin' forever.

Still, everything is still coming along and I'm not feeling too stressed about boss battles or anything.  I adore Trails, but I really do get stressed about its boss battles. 

Currently in Bareahard.  Been busy so I'm not making a lot of progress.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Der Jermeister

• Fursona!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8018 on: June 26, 2018, 10:24:14 PM »
I beat Yakuza 0 a few days ago. Was probably the first great game released in North America in 2017, coincidentally on my birthday.

Dragon Quest Monsters: Terry's Wonderland 3D - This has given me an outstanding first impression. You can actually (mostly) save your game anywhere, and it has the skill point system from the eighth and ninth games.

Kingdom Hearts Union X - Working on latest missions in Agrabah. Haven't had any problems.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - I viewed all the memories, and am en route to getting to the Gerudo Desert Divine Beast.

Resonance of Fate - I found a way to power-level in the arena by connecting a double-effect terminal to my hex field, and found a little help online that can hopefully help me beat the story missions more easily with terminals in the upper level, and I haven't had problems farming for hexes.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #8019 on: June 27, 2018, 04:55:25 AM »
Went back to playing Tales of Berseria. Up to Southgand and starting to get to some plot beyond "Must kill Artorious. Whee!" and "There's trouble in the Abbey!". Its too bad that the game's copy pasta design is shining at full force by now, because having a Tales of Game where your party aren't just a band of rambling idiots being led from one plot contrivance to the next, while waiting for someone to finally pipe up and declare themselves the final boss of the game, cue then beatdown and credits, is just such a goddamn breath of fresh air.

ironmage

• chaotic neutral observer
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • I know what you did and I wholeheartedly approve
    • View Profile
« Reply #8020 on: June 29, 2018, 08:33:40 PM »
Trails in the Sky:  Collected some glowing moss, then got into a fight with a giant penguin.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #8021 on: June 29, 2018, 10:00:30 PM »
Tales of Still on that Stupid Boatria: Hit the part where its time to start collecting the 7 macguffins necessary to fight god and save the world. I hope the party aren't stupid enough to lose them all at the last minute (and I REALLY hope that it doesn't take me seven years to get to the next plot point).

Greganox

• View Profile
« Reply #8022 on: July 03, 2018, 11:51:08 PM »
Decided to replay Final Fantasy 12 again. The intro was pretty impressive. Finished collecting the sun stone at Giza Plains.

Der Jermeister

• Fursona!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8023 on: July 04, 2018, 12:03:58 PM »
Are you playing the Zodiac Age version of FF12 or the original PlayStation 2 version? Because I found the ZA remaster to be *way* better.

Dragon Quest Monsters: Terry's World 3D - Still having a good time, got some monsters that take up two or three ally slots.

Kingdom Hearts Union X - Finished all the new storyline missions, still in Agrabah.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - En route to the Gerudo Desert Divine Beast.

Resonance of Fate - Still grinding at the arena like crazy.

Greganox

• View Profile
« Reply #8024 on: July 04, 2018, 09:35:05 PM »
Are you playing the Zodiac Age version of FF12 or the original PlayStation 2 version? Because I found the ZA remaster to be *way* better.
Dragon Quest Monsters: Terry's World 3D - Still having a good time, got some monsters that take up two or three ally slots.
Original. It's been years since I've played the game and I've heard good stuff about ZA.

Regarding Dragon Quest Monsters. That game looks awesome from footage I've seen of it on youtube and I do wish the game got localized. Always wanted to play the Monsters games.