Author Topic: A Game Journal Reborn

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
Re: A Game Journal Reborn
« Reply #8025 on: July 05, 2018, 06:16:54 AM »
I honestly didn't like the original FF12 at all. Zodiac Age actually made me like it a lot, it's a big difference.

Penguin Boss Demands You Join Our Discord!

CLICK HERE TO BE TAKEN TO THE RPGFAN DISCORD

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8026 on: July 05, 2018, 12:03:58 PM »
I really hate to say it, but anyone playing Vanilla XII instead of The Zodiac Age is massively wasting their time.

My own journaling: Trails of Cold Steel 2!
Spoiler: show
So these two gigantic military dog things are sent at me by some Provincial Army scumbag holding Elliott's sister hostage.  They proceed to call in SIX little dog friends.  At one point, I fail to rebuild Millium's shield and she gets absolutely plastered by one of them.  Crit health and Faint.  Jusis runs over and wakes her up and she responds to the affront by FLYING INTO OUTER SPACE and blasting everything from orbit with a laser.  On a Crit turn.  Those were some dead monster dog things.

I am seriously loving the way this game is structured.  The way it uses towns and spreads out its rest/bonding days is awesome and a ton of fun.  And the dungeon that led to the boss fight I just described was awesome, too.  A few challenging opponents as well as some fun fodder ones and lots of treasure to discover!  I am so very addicted to this game.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Der Jermeister

• Fursona!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8027 on: July 05, 2018, 01:30:07 PM »
The turbo mode in Zodiac Age really makes a big difference, and cuts overall playing time in a little over a half.

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #8028 on: July 06, 2018, 12:00:22 PM »
Took a break from XBC 2 and played through Night in the Woods. Goddamn if that wasn't one of the greatest games I have ever played. Been to all these small western PA towns that the town pretty much referenced and grew up in a suburb in which main street was anchored my a convience store and the random pizza place that's lucky to survive 2 years. I've seen all the Look Jobs! murals. The only future in these towns is getting out, and yet at the same time if you've ever been to some of these WPA towns in the autumn you'll quickly notice that despite the poverty and boarded up downtown for at least a couple months/year from mid sept-early Nov that they are one of most beautiful places on earth.

oh and BTW, NITW, best character design in a western game.....ever?

2017 just rocked, and I have even played Nier or Horizon yet

Der Jermeister

• Fursona!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8029 on: July 06, 2018, 06:39:50 PM »
Dragon Quest Monsters: Terry's Wonderland 3D - I discovered the monster I have that takes up three ally slots can attack twice in a turn with attacks that hit all enemies multiple times, and he's made battles largely a breeze; definitely a keeper.

Kingdom Hearts Union X - Still awaiting next story quests.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - In the giant robot camel, whatever his name is, trying to activate terminals.

Resonance of Fate - Still power-leveling in the arena.

Jimmy

• Wakens the Ferine Strain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8030 on: July 08, 2018, 01:35:23 AM »
Been on vacation, so I haven't updated in a while, but I did get to play a lot of Bravely Second!

I'm a little over 60 hours in. I really liked the mid-game puzzle that leads you into Chapter 5, though I hate to know what would have happened if you didn't do what you're supposed to do. Would it make you go through the first four chapters again? Regardless, this is much better than going through everything several times as in Bravely Default. I've decided they definitely nerfed the job system somewhat (not to mention some of the jobs), but it's still pretty complex and fun.

Jobs talk:

Yew has mastered Summoner and Black Mage. He's currently working on mastering Sorceror. Not sure what I'm thinking his main job will be. I'm thinking Summoner, but we'll see.

Edea is currently a Hawkeye and is close to mastering it. She has mastered Valkyrie, and that will probably be her main job since it doesn't seem to have been as nerfed as some of the other jobs. It's hard to nerf Jump after all.

Magnolia is currently a Ninja. She has mastered Dark Knight and Guardian. Dark Knight seems the most nerfed to me so far. I'm not sure what I'll do as her main job. Guardian is pretty great though, so I may go with that.

Yew is currently a Bishop and is close to mastering it. He has mastered White Mage and that will probably be his main job.

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #8031 on: July 09, 2018, 01:37:39 PM »
Dragon Age Inquisition - Started a week or so ago. Currently character level 7, playing as a dual-wielding female elf.
Just recruited Sera, who promptly replaced Varric, due to me feeling limited by his use of only one weapon. I'm still mainly working on quests in the Hinterlands, although I've briefly explored a few other locations at this point.

BoF IV - Tried the chasing of the hideous apteryx a few more times, and ended up only frustrated. Haven't played the game in a few weeks now, which is a shame, because I was enjoying it otherwise. ...What a stupid, stupid thing to put in a game.
"Movies are better than people. You don't have to smell who you're watching." ~ Baby Cakes

Der Jermeister

• Fursona!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8032 on: July 09, 2018, 02:38:46 PM »
Yeah, there are definitely a great many gameplay cliches that deserve to die.

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8033 on: July 09, 2018, 05:08:23 PM »
Dragon Age Inquisition - Started a week or so ago. Currently character level 7, playing as a dual-wielding female elf.
Just recruited Sera, who promptly replaced Varric, due to me feeling limited by his use of only one weapon. I'm still mainly working on quests in the Hinterlands, although I've briefly explored a few other locations at this point.

BoF IV - Tried the chasing of the hideous apteryx a few more times, and ended up only frustrated. Haven't played the game in a few weeks now, which is a shame, because I was enjoying it otherwise. ...What a stupid, stupid thing to put in a game.

don't give up on BoF IV. It's a gem.

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Jimmy

• View Profile
« Reply #8034 on: July 10, 2018, 04:49:55 PM »
A little over 70 hours into Bravely Second now. I spent the last ten hours getting the Templar and Yokai jobs, defeating some of the Yokai beasts, and running around for Catmancy/Mastery skills. Before I proceed with the story, I'm going to go to the various dungeons/areas that have blue chests and get the items in those. Once that's finished, I'm going to take another crack at some of the Yokai beasts. I defeated four of them, but am having trouble with the other three. I'm hoping leveling up will help somewhat though I imagine I'll probably need to set up the party in a specific way as in some of the harder fights in the first game.

Jobs (all mastered jobs mentioned are only to level 10, not 11):

Yew has mastered Black Mage, Summoner, Sorceror, Red Mage, and is now working on getting Freelancer to level 10. I want to move him to Yokai next, but I'd like to have all the beasts defeated. Maybe the trick is to use the Yokai beasts against each other?

Edea is currently working on mastering Charioteer. She has mastered Valkyrie, Knight, Fencer, and Hawkeye.

Magnolia is working on Merchant. She has mastered Guardian, Dark Knight, Hawkeye, and Ninja.

Tiz is currently working on Catmancer. He has mastered White Mage, Bishop, Exorcist, and Astrologian.

Not sure what my final party will be jobs-wise. I think it may have to do with whatever level 11 skill looks most enticing as I don't think I want to grind anything beyond Freelancer and one other for each party member.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 04:52:04 PM by Jimmy »

Jimmy

• View Profile
« Reply #8035 on: July 11, 2018, 01:21:06 PM »
DOUBLE PUNCH! YA!

No progress story wise in Bravely Second, but I did beat Belphegor. Turns out it had a rolling elemental weakness. Once I honed in on that I was able to kill him no problem. I had Yew using summons, so he was all-purpose, and I equipped both Edea and Magnolia with Shamanism so they could use Warhead and help out. I then swapped Tiz back to Astrologian to counter Sloth. It took a while, but it worked out.

I'm going to tackle Lucifer next. I'm going to try using Soul Mirror to counteract the counterattacks though I'm not sure if it can reflect counterattacks. We'll find out! I'm not sure how to beat Satan as I don't think I have anything that will nullify the all-Berserk skill he uses. I'll look into that more after Lucifer is done.

Jobs-wise, I think I've decided on the endgame jobs for all but Tiz. I'm going to have Yew be Yokai because of the -ja level spells (interestingly enough I've been working on some Old English and reviewed -ja stem nouns the past couple of days, so that was a unique coincidence). I'm going to stick with Valkyrie with Edea as it is still the powerhouse it was in the first game. I think I'm going to go with Guardian for Magnolia as it's pretty powerful and has some useful skills to amp it up. Not sure where I'll go with Tiz. I really like the sound of Exorcist, but it's hard to deny that level 11 Astrologian skill. I'll keep working on it.

In the meantime, Yew is working on mastering Yokai, Edea is working her way through Templar, Magnolia is on Kaiser, and Tiz is doing Patissier. I'm not sure how I like Kaiser. While useful, a lot of its skills could bite back if you're not careful. And I hate Patissier. Too much work for too little gain, but I'd like to have each job mastered by at least one character so...

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #8036 on: July 13, 2018, 10:59:23 AM »
DA:I - Recruited Blackwall and Iron Bull. Blackwall replaced Cassandra's insufferably humorless ass, and Iron Bull replaced Sera, meaning I've no archers in the preferred adventuring group at this point. I seem to be kicking ass just fine without them.
I've done most of the quests in the Hinterlands. I needed a change of scenery though, so I'm currently exploring Storm Coast.

don't give up on BoF IV. It's a gem.

I won't... I've quite enjoyed it up to this point. It's just frustrating... I'll probably take another crack at it this weekend.

"Movies are better than people. You don't have to smell who you're watching." ~ Baby Cakes

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8037 on: July 13, 2018, 01:54:11 PM »
Cold Steel 2:

- So I did the Valimar battle against a certain Instructor.  And I won!  First try!  Booya!  All thanks to Alisa and her CP generating ability.  Felt dang epic winning that fight.

- Jusis finally bit it in battle for the first time ever, including my CS1 run.  And against a stupid giant Creepy Sheep, no less (by far the cheapest boss fight so far).  What an ignominious way for him to get benched.  I will miss his Noble Command.  But his absence makes room for Emma on my team, who I've equipped very lightly with Scepter MQ and one of the 3 Lost Art quartz I now have.  I could make her more of a cannon, but I kinda want to level up Scepter and see what I can do with it.  I almost lost Alisa in that same fight (perish the thought!) but her 10% evasion happened to save her from almost-certain death.

- I took out that group of worm things that you're supposed to damage one at a time or they'll earthquake you.  I AoE'd them into oblivion anyways and still won.  Ready for Operation: Rescue People You Know From CS1, #2!
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Jimmy

• View Profile
« Reply #8038 on: July 13, 2018, 07:21:24 PM »
I致e made it to the Celestial Road in Bravely Second. I知 assuming this is the last area. I知 over-leveled because of grinding jobs, but that痴 okay. It made the most recent boss fight easy, and after 85 hours, I知 cool with that.

Jobs: So I ground out jobs so that at least one character had reached level 10 for each job. I知 feeling good about my setups, though the job system has definitely been nerfed, if only slightly.

Yew is currently a Wizard, but his endgame will be Yokai. I知 not sure what I did so right with him, but once I have Sorcerer to level 11, he値l have all but Red Mage of his jobs 斗egendaried. That痴 Yokai, Summoner, Black Mage, Time Mage, and Freelancer all at level 11. And it shows because he can easily do max damage each time he attacks.

Edea is a level 11 Valkyrie with Shamanism. Final.

Magnolia is a level 11 Guardian with Shamanism. Final.

I have Tiz as Catmancer currently. Really none of the level 11 skills looked interesting for the jobs he has mastered, so I致e been learning the last Catmancer skills from the enemies here. I知 thinking his endgame job will be White Mage with Astral Magic, but we値l see.

Der Jermeister

• Fursona!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8039 on: July 15, 2018, 10:26:39 PM »
I finally beat Resonance of Fate. Wasn't great, but something somehow compelled me to put 130 hours into the game.

Still awaiting the next story missions in Kingdom Hearts Union X.

Found another secret gate in Dragon Quest Monsters: Terry's Wonderland 3D.

Have one Divine Beast left in Breath of the Wild.